Home Washington Wizards Friday Dec 21 2012

Discussion in 'December 2012' started by roscoe36, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Looks like English and JJ are finally checking in.
  2. Walter

WOW ANDRE IS AWESOME!
  3. Walter

Finally Frank empties his bench. Up 25 with 5.5 to go. Bynum-English-Daye-JJ-Slava to finish the game.
  4. Walter

GT is hard to watch. All the Pistons are in "I'm gonna get mine" mode. No ball movement. Whoever has the ball shoots it. Gah.

It's not hard to see why Slava isn't playing. He gets pushed around easily. He has to get stronger.

Looks like we're going to win every quarter tonight. When was the last time that happened?

The player of the game was without a doubt Andre Drummond. 11 pts (5/7 shooting), 14 pts, 2 assits, 1 steal and 5 BLOCKS in 21 minutes of play. He was a beast.
  5. copper

copper Bench Warmer

dont have to play them consecutive.
  6. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

The ten best things about Slava's first game:

1) He was put in by the opposing coach.

2) He was relaxed and moved easily to the free throw line.

3) After he made 1 of 2 free throws he returned to the bench and good naturedly slapped hands with teammates and acknowledged crowd.

4) Upon re-entering game he appeared to run energetically.

5) At one point he nearly made a steal...showing quick hands.

6) He caught both passes from JJ in the paint.

7) He made a Slava Slam off the pass from Bynum.

8) He didn't get tired and ask to be removed from the game.

9) He didn't get hit in the teeth.

10) He didn't have a shot blocked by the rim.
    BallDon'tLie likes this.
  7. Walter

At one point in time he was averaging 144 pts per 36min.
  8. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

11) He didn't break his jaw like Cheik Samb

It's nice to see Drummond do well and get some time with Monroe, but I thought the 2nd unit seemed a little shaky.

Krackov looked OK. He's thin. Can he play the 4 some?

Before the year I would have been suicidal if you told me that the Pistons would be fielding a lineup with Stuckey, Daye, CG and Singleton.

It seems like Drummond memorialized the killer in his tribute to the Shady Brooke Elementary School victims with the #28 on his sneakers. There were 26 kiiled at the school plus his mother. Isn't the shooter 28?
  9. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Well that was fun. The game started out slow, with neither side able to buy a bucket. But the Pistons started connecting on a few and before long the Pistons had a sizeable lead that they kept building for the most part. (Obviously, the game got tight fast when Stuckey came in for Singler, but other than that, the lead kept building.)

Maggette was not even dressed for this one. Instead, we got a pretty decent defender playing - Daye. Daye adds a whole lot of height and length to the defense, enough to negate some of the horrid D played by CV. The other player not dressed was Middleton.

Singler had a decent game, scored some, got 5 offensive boards. He now is playing mostly just shooting guard, as Daye is covering the backup small forward spot.

Just how bad is the starting unit we began the season with - Knight, Stuckey, Tay, JMAX, Monroe? Well, even Washington, totally depleted tonight, was better than this group of players. Coach still plays this unit, but he kept it down to under 2 minutes total tonight. Some kind of guilty pleasure thing he has going. Quit it already. Get English in the rotation, and just forget using Stuckey as a shooting guard. Yes, Stuckey nailed a few wide open 3's tonight - but that does not make him a shooting guard.

The superlatives for Drummond just kept coming from the announcers, and very deservedly so. What a night, and the stats don't tell the story of how many times Washington just said forget it when making a choice of going in against Drummond. He is a space hog, kind of like Ben Wallace - you don't venture safely on his area of the floor.

Monroe had a fine game, missing a 15 -10 game by just a rebound. Something like 25 points, 23 rebounds, at least 5 blocks - from Drummond and Monroe combined in not all that many minutes. Monroe did not play the 4th, and Drummond was limited to 21 minutes - supposedly because it was a blowout game. I am sure though that coach would have found some reason or another to limit him to 20 minutes or so in any case.

We got just a little look at Kravtsov. Garbage time, where it is often hard to tell much. But we can see he moved well on defense, and had lots of height to work with. Skinny? No, he looks skinny because he is that tall. I say play the guy immediately and lessen the roles both CV and JMAX play.

We had an appearance by JJ. Just a reminder that there is another option - at small forward. Sorry Tay, time to move on. No matter how you do this year, you are not part of the Piston's future, so what is the point?

Same team tomorrow night, except maybe they get a couple of guys coming back. Should be another win. We still have a starting unit that is not as good as it could be. (Cause Tay can't shoot well enough and JMAX is too short.) (and Singler is not good enough on perimeter defense against some stronger guards in the league.) We can get better, and I hope Coach keeps exploring options Dumars has provided to see just how good we can get as a team. (Of course, if Dumars cares to let the team win games vs. tank.)
  10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The highlight sequence of the year came in this game:

Daye got picked hard, shook it off, and sprinted to the 3-point line to challenge the attempt. Sure enough, he cleanly blocks it! But the Wizards get the ball back and the ball handler is charging to the hoop. Not so fast Cowboy... that's right, Villanueva appears out of nowhere, plants his feet, closes his eyes, covers his sac, turns his shoulder toward the approaching player and takes an actual NBA charge.

If this sequence ever happens again in history, please PM me.

One serious question that I was thinking about while watching part 20 of Drummond's coming out party:
    If you could pick another NBA center and replace Drummond with them with no other changes, who would you pick? The replacement player would just get on a bus and show up for the next game and be bound by Drummond's contract and the rules thereafter, except that there would be a no trade clause.

Given his age, I'm actually thinking that I would stand pat. Howard would be a candidate, but at 8 years older and significant mileage, probably wouldn't be a great decision.

Just a blast to watch such a physically dominating player in a D uniform. Making shots just doesn't do it for me like dunks, boards, steals, and blocks.

If the Wiz would have been fully healthy and had this outcome, it would have officially been a rock bottom type event. 68 points? 2004 called and wants their.... got I hate jokes that start out that way.
  11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

We just held WAS to 28 points below our average so far this year. Since it was our 29th game, that means that we just lowered our points against average by a full point!

In terms of points allowed per 100 possession, this will change our per game average by about 1.1 points and move us from 23rd to about 18th. That is an enormous jump for one game this far into the season.

How did the Wiz score 105 on the Heat a few games ago?
    roscoe36 likes this.
  12. Walter

I wouldn't trade Drummond for anybody at this point in time. If he keeps going like this, he will be DPOY 5 or 6 times throughout his career.
    roscoe36 likes this.
  13. basketbills

Watching Drummond reminds me of watching Barry Sanders....great/unique player on a bad team...it makes watching a bad team fun.
  14. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

The Lions would have to have played Sanders only on special teams because the like the stability he brought the group for this analogy to work.
  15. basketbills

True...I guess the Big Buck didn't have a sophisticated coaching scheme like coach Larry.
  16. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

You wouldn't trade him for Anthony Davis?
  17. copper

copper Bench Warmer

nope, Davis is a good player but his ceiling is not as high...I see davis as a tyson chandler cheap kg. I see Drummond as a game changer.
  18. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

And here we go.
    BallDon'tLie, round, Mogilny and 4 others like this.
  19. linwood

linwood All-Star

I wish I could "like" this 10 times.
    coynejeremy likes this.
  20. linwood

linwood All-Star

You don't see someone who is a combination of Tyson Chandler and Kevin Garnett as a gamechanger?