Washington Nov 1 2008

Discussion in 'November 2008' started by roscoe36, Oct 30, 2008.

1. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Coach Curry is impressed with Herrmann's one-on-one and help defense:

Walter Herrmann is a monster vs. Wizards | Freep.com | Detroit Free Press

2. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Think I have to agree with that. At one point during that stretch, I think Prince was involved in at least 3 TOs where we tried to post him up and he got doubled.

3. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Thanks for the birthday shout outs! Big love to my brothers who I share a born day with. A Pistons victory is icing on the cake!

4. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

So if the opponent is going small and they have the talent to execute it successfully, and your team plays with a different style that gets disrupted by successful small ball, then you have to go small to counter it? For instance if your transition D isn't quick enough to counter their fastbreaks? If so, what are some example characteristics of a style that is easily disrupted by small ball?

5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

The great thing is that Walt is depth. And lee's concerns about speed are limited IMO. As long as Walt can effectively funnel his man to help, and use the sidelines as second and third defenders, he will be fine.

And I think he will be fine. Walt is probably our second most experienced backup after Dice. The guy may not be a big time NBAer, but he has been an important part of the Argentine squad.

2006 FIBA World Championship - powered by www.fiba.com

Btw, that link has information aurora queried about in the last podshow. :)

6. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

Here's a stat that won't last for long:

[​IMG]

When did the Pistons last lead the league in scoring? Back in the early Isiah era?

7. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Believe it or not the Pistons can be in the top 5 in scoring this year, tops in the EC, IMO.

8. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Not really sure what it means, but i find it interesting the difference b/w these;

Walter's +/- 0

Prince's I think was +17

9. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Thanks for replying. I understand the advantages of small ball. What I don't understand is why they appear to trump the advantages of other "sizes". Basically, if I'm understanding you correctly, I'm led to think that teams waste their money on big, not very quick post players and that everyone would do better going small and it would just be the best small ball team that would win. But if that's the case, then how is that the Lakers or Heat (w/Shaq) or the Spurs (with Duncan) have had so much success. Why didn't teams just go small on them? Or if they did, why didn't it work? Are there any circumstances in which the best response to a team going small would NOT be to go small to match them?

10. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The starters were sharp in the beginning of the 1st and 3rd quarters. Prince was resting when the other 4 starters were squandering the lead in the 2nd quarter. That's how I would explain it.

11. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

12. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

It would be easier for us to watch, but I don't know if our youth would be battle tested for the playoffs.

13. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

Right now from watching the first two games this team looks and feels really different from years past. I think this is a good thing. I can really tell that the chemistry is just not quite there yet - hopefully, this will even itself out as the coaching staff / players get used to the new line-up, players, and rotation.

On a side note, when did Dyess get so old. I know he has always had slow starts, but he looks like a fringe rotation guy right now. At least Curry doesn't automatically put him in. I don't think we should abandon him because there are those games when he is lights out, but if not his minutes should go somewhere else.

14. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

What that means is STATS are the most overated STAT in sports!

15. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

That's likely it. I'm not even sure how they calculate that anyway.

16. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

THE HQ GRADES:

A:

SHEED..........6 block shots and nice controlled emotion out there. Turn around baseline J is unstoppable because u cant guard him from out of bounds

HERRMANN......the key was the emotion he brought to a dead (as usual) Palace crowd. Very comfortable with the jumper off CB's feeds. What we basically did was trade Herrmann for Evans or Hayes. Looking forward to his 15 MPG this year. Hey, any body wanna join the Walter fan club?
    My name: HERRMANN'S MONSTERS!:D

BROWN...........8 POINTS ON 4 OF 4 IN 8 MINUTES. cant grade any worse. I liked not playing him in 2nd half. Break him in slowly. And the dude IS big.

B:

HAMILTON.........Jumper had nice spin to it. Everything was pure net. Characteristic TO's, but at least he was forcing the action. Defense made Stephenson a non factor(0 assists)

AFFLALO......Did his thang...tough flagrant foul finish

C:

BILLUPS........Controlled offense, but defense was awful

MAXIEL......tough inside, defense was not great, need more touches on o

STUCKEY.....couple of nice slashes inside, too sloppy on D, did not run offense well

PRINCE.........nice to see him not running his one on one offense all game

D:

AMIR.....too many bad fouls; stupid, dyslexic-looking offensive foul; needs to relax; might be better off bench

McDYESS.......looking so old on defense, se ya in January dice

17. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Agree with the grades, especially for Dice. I would have like to have seen Kwame make an appearance in the second half. Former players like showing off against their former teams. Plus he needed to be rewarded for his output in the first half.

I may have given Aflollo an incomplete, as I did not see him do that much in his 3+ mins of play

How about a grade for Curry?

18. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

I think it's because most people, by nature, are reactionary. They would rather see something happening and try to beat it by adapting than to set the tone and more or less hope (read: trust) that it works. Having someone like say...Shaq, Kareem, Wilt, Olajuwon, Ewing, or Duncan make that trust part really easy because they are so good that it intimidates teams into throwing the biggest body they have out there to deal with them.

Reacting to going small is the easy way out, that way, they don't get questioned if they lose. If they stay big when the opponent goes small, they get crapped on for not seeing the light. If they get beat by going small, they have an out by saying they were matching the move their opponent made and therefore the players didn't get it done.

Lastly, it's cosmetic as well. If you have a bunch of big guys that appear to be having circles run around them by smaller quicker guys, it looks bad. To the avg observer, the quicker guys are making your big "slow" guys look bad because they are quicker and therefore are going to be able to do everything better and faster. It's kind of the "perception is reality" kind of thing.

19. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Curry said in the postgame that he would have given Kwame more minutes but the Wizards went small and he needed to match up. I'd say if the other team goes small and you can put a big on the floor good enough to hurt them then you take the lead and drive what's going on in the game. But, other than Sheed last night, who was taking a needed rest when the Pistons went small to matchup, I don't see another big on the bench who could have hurt the Wiz more than he would have hurt the Pistons by not matching well up with their smalls.

Those drives by Kwame from the three point line in the first half were pretty nice, but I'm not sure I'd count on that happening again. So, don't match small ball if you have bigs who can dominate their small lineup. But, if your bigs are too slow to keep with their smalls, then you have to match.

P.S. Good to hear from you.

20. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

We started the game great defensively, going up plus 17, and barely giving any baskets up at all. We had Washington smothered to the point that the only shot they could possibly get was a half contested shot from a guy coming off a pick at the top of the key. This was not just for one or two trips down the floor, but rather most of the 1st quarter. Pistons defense was back big time. And the 3rd quarter started out about the same, with us scoring some points while Washington just wished they could buy a bucket somehow. The only players out there for us during these times: Our starters, and JMAX, all fine defenders. So why did we end up giving up just under 110 points? Our bench features Herrmann and Dyess, two slow defenders. It ain't rocket science.