@Washington March 23 8PM

Discussion in 'March 2008' started by max, Mar 22, 2008.

1. raxrets

raxrets Starter

An official statement should be released by pistons office that team is officially done for the rest of ther season because of boredness.
  2. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

PISTONS Lay Easter Egg in DC.
    Wizards 95- Pistons 83.

Ist Meaningless stat of the night besides the score. Points in the paint Wizards 50, Pistons 20!!!!!

Some say PIP doesn't matter, (Like Flip) but really it does in this case as the Wiz had a field day in the paint as our bigs could not stop anybody. Sheed only played 6 mins in the first half due to foul trouble, Amir was schooled by Jamison and Butler, and Haywood took care of Dice; and Songalia took care of Max. Guess how many Amare and Shaq will score in the paint tomorrow if there is no one to challenge them.

Meanwhile our 20 points in the paint matched the 20 we got last Wednesday vs the Cavs... another game where we barely were able to score ....and lost by double digits..:yellowprison:

Sheed came out in the second half and hit three straight threes, but he took 12 shots in the game and those were the only 3 shots he made. Can't the guy get close enough to the rim for a layup?? Once again we relied on jumpshots and at one point in the 4t qtr, the announcer advised that we had missed 16 out or 20 shots or something rediculous like that. :brick:
    18> 3 pointers were not necessary either. We were within 1 point midway through the third qtr and shot ourselves out of taking over this game and possibly winning it.

How is it a player like CB who is in the top 3 in FT shooting percentage dosn't go to the line a single time in a game?? I appreciate his 11 assists, but 4 turnovers?
    I never saw any postups from Tay or Sheed or Billiups the whole night.

I appreciate the 14 boards by Dice, but he can never be a fraction of what Ben was if he can't stop anybody in the lane.

remaining meaningless stats

First loss by the Pistons in a non-Wednesday game since Feb 20...a whole month.

Last meaningless stat
    Pistons suffered 3 straight losses before they won # 30,
    then rolled off 10 straight, but then it took two more losses to get victory # 40.
    Now they have suffered 2 losses trying to get # 50, and the way they are playing I wouldn't count on them getting 60. :sssh: Oh yeah don't mean a thing, they got # 2 locked up...

I will let someone else complain about 42 min that Rip got and the 38 that Tay played the night before a track meet with the Suns:confused:
  3. Ozarkruffrider

Ozarkruffrider First Round Draft Pick

Ok, ready for the 3rd loss in a row.
  4. Abe Froemen

Abe Froemen First Round Draft Pick

With all the salaries comin off the books next year we should make a run at Jamison. The guy is a piston killer. He loves putting up big numbers on sheed. Imo trade our draft picks this year (we can throw more money at Jamison) dump/trade Dice and sign this guy houshamadilla done deal championship.

He has already made his big bucks if he wants a ring add him to the mix it would be a done deal.
  5. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Washington got 50 points in the paint. Our best stretch, in contrast, was when Sheed hit a few threes and Dyess hit a couple of outside shots early in the 3rd quarter. Except for this brief spell of hot shooting, we did not even compete in the game.

Tay is not a very steady jump shooter from long range. Some nights he is on. Tonight, he was on for a while, then cold for quite a spell. But that is all our team had to go to. Long outside jumpers from a guy that had gone cold.

Rip was very active, and got hot for quite a stretch. But where was he at the end of the game. Tired. We continue to experiment with ways to justify keeping our best perimeter defender out of the game. Yep. No Afflalo. No win. Just like the whole season has gone. So far, if Afflalo does not get 6 minutes in the rotation in the first half of a game, we are just a .500 team. If he gets this time, we are 29-4, with the only 4 losses directly coming from horrid play by our starters. These were actually some of our worst losses of the season. Like NY. And three other games where we were well behind before Afflalo even entered the game. In other words, what works is Afflalo playing in the rotation for us. Why are we not doing what works?

Tonight Tay played shooting guard in the first half, while Stuckey played along side Billups in the 2nd half. Neither thing works. In the first case, you have the no defense playing Hayes out there spelling first Tay then Rip. Way too much Hayes, way too little D. Hayes is basically replacing Afflalo in the rotation in this case. For what? More offense. Again, our offense was horrid. Afflalo helps with the ball handling. Hayes does not. There is more to offense then shooting the ball. And besides, when Afflalo did play, the coach did not want him to shoot. Anyone wonder just how well Afflalo would do if given that many shots to take all season? Would Afflalo stayed in a season long slump like Hayes did?
    In the 2nd half, again, it does not work. Billups is out there with Stuckey, which means he is not resting up for the end of the game. Further, the Stuckey and Billups combo has not worked yet, and it did not in this game, meaning Rip had to come back in all too soon.

Amir did play. Six minutes guarding their best player, Jamison. Not bad. Not great. Hard to look all that good with Dyess along side you, doing basically nothing, as he just does not move none too well. Amir's highlight was stealing an inbounds pass and laying it in.

Stuckey did some scoring. A couple of outside shots made. Got to the basket, got fouled, made both free throws.

Maxiell did so so. He did not play that much since Theo also got 12 minutes. Theo had one point on a free trow. No shot attempts. He did help by attempting to post up a couple of times. Way too little though for his minutes. Trying to play him into game shape I guess. Certainly not helping us much really, although compared to Dyess, yes I would rather see him out there. (Dyess did have a good rebounding game, but I would like to see him play just a smidgeon of defense along with the rebounding. From what I can see, Theo can do both.)

Billups decided to start shooting the ball at the end of the game. Kind of late. Sheed only made those 3 threes in the 3rd and thats it. He was in foul trouble and barely played in the first half. Amir came on with about 5 minutes gone in the first quarter. Hayes did hit an outside shot, and did get in toward the basket for a couple of scores.

As one poster so well described, yes, Amir was not perfect in his 6 minutes. But any perceived sins were done over and over by other players thruout this game. Amir should have got more playing time.

Anyone notice that of late Dyess is left in the game well into the 2nd quarter? Reminds me of a not too long ago game against Utah. Dyess would have played the whole 2nd half if not for picking up his 5th foul late in the game. Dyess is playing way too much. We are losing games, not resting the guy, not really developing the bench as much as we should. In a word, Flip is getting nothing accomplished.

I added this. I responded to someone who thought it was a bit of a mystery why the Pistons lost some games.

Its not a mystery at all. When Afflalo plays in the rotation, we win, to the tune of 29-4. (11 or more minutes, where Afflalo played 6 of those minutes in the first half.) When Afflalo does not play in the rotation at all (5 minutes or less) we are a .500 team. Further, every attempt Flip has made to remove Afflalo from the rotation has resulted in a losing streak. And every long winning streak we have had has been while Afflalo has been playing regularly.

Is Afflalo that good. Not really. Just a good solid defender. Quite ok on the offensive end too. He makes our bench solid, on both ends of the floor. Which means Rip gets some rest. And invaribly, when Rip gets some good rest in the first half of a game, he ends up having a great game in the 2nd half, right thru to the end of the game.

This is not rocket science or anything. Just simple observations. This weekend, I have reviewed many games: The last half of that win streak. Then the same old same old. Flip trying to his best to ruin a good thing. That win streak could still be going on, only if Flip would quite trying not to play Amir and Afflalo.

(And just to complete the thought, I believe its Flips dream to remove Stuckey in favor of Hunter, and quit playing JMAX in favor of Theo. And I also believe he is fighting, pleading with Joe to get his way. Lets all hope his pleas fall on deaf ears.)
  6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Dre, didn't you hear? We called Samb up from the D-League.
  7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

There's not a lot you can say about this game. The Pistons didn't compete. These are Joe Dumars Pistons. They come out lethargic, they don't fight until the second half, and the coach doesn't have much more desire than they do, continuing for the third season to inexplicably leave the starters in when they are on a mental vacation.

All in all, chat was fun. I give the chat an "A" for effort. But the Pistons get a C- tonight. They didn't do the little things to win, the things like play hard and play smart, which should be a given for this squad every single night.
  8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'm really impressed by how good Washington is without Arenas. Too bad for them that he will probably be leaving next year. The other guys on the team really emerged when they had to bear the load themselves.
  9. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Starter Forum Donor

A ring? Why would he come to Detroit?
  10. LA Dre

Yep but the only challenge Samb will give them though is to see if they can speak his native tongue as he will probably be locking arms with Fabio and Hunter as our rallying cheerleaders in suits in the row behind the bench.. :)
  11. max

max All-Star

My player of the game I will pick Dyess for his 14 boards and for giving the Pistons the rebounding edge. Too bad they could not take advantage of it.

Something very significant happend in this game if you are a stat person?

Pistons had over 22 assists and lost. Lost with 24 assists. I think their winning pct was somewhere in the 90% range when they had over 22 assists.
  12. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Here is what I wonder. Will they be better when he comes back or worse? This is nothing like the Houston talks of them being better without Yao or better without T Mac because Washington has been without Arenas for almost the whole year and they have done just as well as the past few season w/o Agent 0
  13. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Dyess' rebounding is useless if he can't stop anyone from scoring inside the paint. He's hurting us more than helping.

edited to add;

What is up with our pick -n- roll defense? Why is it so bad? Is it the actual technique or the fact that the bigs Flip likes are so slow? I wasn't paying major attention this game b/c i kept flipping the channel or muting due to irritation, but it just looks like were doing somehting wrong.
  14. LA Dre

I believe they had won 39 straight when they had exceeded 24 assists, so one more assist and it would have a victory:MusicBigGrin:
  15. max

max All-Star

I though it was also some unbelievable amt when they had over 22 assits?
  16. LA Dre

Agree, everytime they got beat or backdoored to the hoop, he and the other bigs looked at each other as if to say '"was he my man or yours??" If Ben got 14 boards, he also got 2 blocks and 6-7 stops on his own per game. Our inside will get exposed in the playoffs as Lee has said on numerous times it might be in the first round especially if potential first round teams such as Sixers and Wizards not only score in the paint at will, but holding the Pistons to less than 85 points.

Another meaningless stat, The Pistons normally top 5 in road warrior victories was the only road team out of four not to get a victory today. (Denver, San Antonio and Golden State all grab W's on the road today).
  17. LA Dre

We will have to call the official Palace scorer to get the actual figure.....
  18. raxrets

raxrets Starter

Holy sh.t! are you really THAT down?
    all those backdoors were open cuz sheed didn't decide to play and he is the key of D under basket. Dice has not been fast for several years( and thanks to this pistons got him cheapely) but replacing him with amir or even theo would be much worse. Amir just blows and theo's conditioning is questionable( as you can expect after a long injury).
  19. adonis

adonis First Round Draft Pick

I did not read all the posts so i don't know if someone already mentioned this. but here is what CB says:

“With the position that we’re in, we have the luxury of trying to work on some things,” said Detroit guard Chauncey Billups. “We’re not moving up or down or trying to go nowhere. We just have to stay healthy and try to work on some things that could benefit us in some series.”

Tay says something similar.

Now if this is really the case, can someone explain to me why did we have to play Rip 42 min and CB, Tay both more than 36 minutes!!!!!!

Smart move Flip

Oh, to make things worse, AA is DNP - CD
  20. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Its our perimeter defenders.

They stink. Plain and simple. We have two above average interior defenders in both Dyess and Sheed. Count Theo now and we have three. Dyess is so caught up hedging for penetration that he and Rasheed are losing their men offensively. This is our planned downfall come playoff time.

Our perimeter defenders give up penetration all of the time, and this is during iso plays when there is no pick being used, or during pick and roll situations when the pick is disregarded. There is nothing wrong with our bigs, it is the perimeter defenders each and every time.

As far as pick and rolls with our bigs, most bigs struggle with todays pick and roll. Only a select few defend them well. This is something that even the best teams deal with, easier than we do though, since they have better perimeter defenders. *that are playing*