Washington April 11th, 8:00 PM

Discussion in 'April 2008' started by Dlev59, Apr 10, 2008.

1. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Washington April 11th, 8:00 PM

TV - FSDHD, NBALP

It`s ironic that out of the Pistons last five games, four of them are against teams holding seeds 4 through 7. So, I guess it`s safe to say that Detroit will be facing one of these teams in the first round of the playoffs. The Wiz, currently holding the 5th seed, visit the Palace and try to perhaps improve their seeding to gain HCA in round 1.

The Wiz are full of confidence and more importantly healthy at the moment with their star Gilbert Arenas back, also they are coming off a victory over the Celtics, that makes 3 wins over Boston this year, a feat no other team could do.

2. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Re: Washington April 11th, 8: 00 PM

If Pistons play the same rotation as they are most likely to do, they'll have difficulties winning this one. More development time for the bench.

3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

4. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

We need a moment of silence for all the babies that got eaten tonight.

5. Ozarkruffrider

Ozarkruffrider First Round Draft Pick

:bigeyes:

Hope you meant veal!

6. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Well the Wiz blew it a chance to move closer to HCA in the first round shooting only 27% while the Cavs were also losing....At least the real Pistons team showed up as Rip returned and although he started off slow managed to dish out 10 assists.

Stat of the night as me and Low discussed in Chat >> Points in the Paint, Pistons 53-Wizards 16 !!:rockon: The PIP will go a long way in pushing this team into the finals...expecially vs the C's who normally score a lot in the paint from Perkins, KG and Pierce...and we less we forget the 16 pips or so that big baby bullied on us in January..

With the Sixers loss to the Pacers tonight and the Raptors win over the Nets, the Sixers have now fallen to the 7th spot.......not that we should be afraid of them, but we need to beat the Raptors Sunday to push them back to the 7th spot. No need to be fooling around with the sixers for six games in the first round....

7. fwoompf

fwoompf First Round Draft Pick

I completely forgot about this game and it looks like I missed Max's best game of the season. Dammit!

Good to see Stuckey dishing assists but not taking a ton of shots. Got to be able to do both.

8. max

max All-Star

Nice to finally get a win. Only been 2 losses but it seemed like more.

Maxiel had a career night, he could have had 30 but he passed it off to Amir for the Pistons last 2 points.

Good to see Rip and Hunter back, especially Rip. Rip had a quite night but he did have 10 assists and 0 TO's, thats a pretty good ratio.

It was nice to see Hunter and AA on the floor at the same time. AA is close but I still think Hunter is the better defender. Hunter used to be one of the leagues best and he has been doing it for years.

Kind of a so so game from Stucky. Or maybe I am just used to being amazed every game.

Very good sign in the 1st quarter when they started passing the ball taking it inside after throwing up a coupld of jump shots to start the game. Almost getting to the point where you kind of know right off what kind of game it will be. Tonight it was a good one.

9. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I don't mind Hunter and AA dividing min. It's no defense Dixon that irritates me. Hunter was a little off tonight; probably just rust.

He killed our offense in the late 2nd quarter playing PG, but it was fixed in the 2nd half. Stuckey should be playing PG at all times when he's in the game with Lindsey.

Also i hate to say it, but Dyess getting in foul trouble really improved our defense.

Max was beasting. Sheed was great. Amir was good. Dyess was in a groove offensively. Theo was effective. Our front court won this game.

Rip has been missed.

edited to add;
    Tayshaun did a great job on Caron, and played well overall. It's funny to watch sometimes; when he gets touches or easy baskets in the beginning of the game instead of Rip he's on. And Rip's off, and vice versa.

Also, i'm loving this whole tough mentality we seemed to have gotten back. We hit everybody. It's fantastic LOL.

10. max

max All-Star

Yes Hunter running the point is not great for the offense because he has never been a very good point guard on the offensive end. Defensivly though he is still one of the best. We have Stucky to run the backup point now so Hunter will not have to.

Dyess did shoot 4-6 today, maybe he is comming out of that shooting slump.

11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

If we play a team that gives us resistance in the paint, we need to keep going at it. When KG blocks a couple shots, we can't take the easy way out and avoid him. In fact, we need to do the opposite and try to draw fouls by initiating action inside.

I make the comment that this was Maxiell's best game of the year when he only had 8 points. 20 points later I was amazed. He really did have some super energy tonight. And I hate it when people say that after the fact to explain success, but this time I agree that he was noticably pumped up. It was the old Maxiell again.

Now about Lindsey... please only use him in short bursts and let Stuck and Afflalo handle the usual backup mins. Lindsey is not good enough on D to make up for his stale offense. And most of his defensive work is comprised of bad gambles and reaches. When he's paired with RS or AA, then I like the way that they can trap to change the momentum of a game, but if we don't get the turnovers, then he's not worth it.

Other than that, I have no real complaints. Herrmann might be preferable to Hayes, but every real Pistons player seems to be playoff ready at this point.

12. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I tried watching a bit of the Tigers game after the Pistons were done. Not that I turned the channel. The Tigers game was on Fox plus, and when the Pistons were done, they put the game on regular Fox. Result, within like a couple of minutes, I fell asleep. Just no interest.

So what kind of game did Maxiell have? Completely dominating. The phrase, foul him to stop him, was heard endlessly. But it did not stop him. He still scored sometimes, or if not, he hit some free throws. And on the defensive end? Washington was not scoring but a few points over a long stretch, several minutes, at the start of Maxiell's 2nd half stint. (And this came early as Dyess picked up his 4th foul five minutes into the 3rd quarter.)

And no, JMAX can do more than dunk. Sure, a whole lot of damage he did was inside, but he hit several outside jumpers too. If a defender was on him, he would make a move, rise up and shoot over the bum. 28 points, lots of rebounds. Some blocks. And an unselfish assist to Amir at the end of the game to cap it all off. A friend of mine sure likes to argue about how much we miss Ben, and I always tell him the same thing: we got JMAX and just wait. Well, I don't think he needs to wait any more after tonight. JMAX plays very good D, and has an excellent offensive game to go with it.

But who was the real defensive hero? Dyess also went out early in the first quarter, and Theo came in to play along side Sheed. Result: only a few points scored by Washington over a several minute stretch. So, in this game, we see Sheed paired with Theo, and later Sheed paired with JMAX, and the other team not being able to score. GO SHEED!!!!! Oh yes, Sheed can score too.

Billups had a decent game, nailing a few threes. Rip had a good game too despite starting out 0-8; he ended up with 10 assists and 9 points. He had only played one game over the last couple of weeks, so some rust was too be expected. Both Billups and Rip were in during those defensive runs, as was Tay. As someone pointed out, you get Dyess out of the way, and the Pistons have some pretty darn good defenders in their starting unit otherwise.

Afflalo only played some garbage time in the 4th. Dixon did not play. Hunter got extensive playing time in this one, did very little. Of note, Afflalo was playing small forward, with Hayes sitting, in the 4th. Hayes played a lot, shot a lot, and missed all his shots but one if I remember correctly.

Dyess did hit some shots in this one.

Tays outside shot was on, and he got some alley oops too. Usually from Rip. Rip fed Maxiell some too.

Billups and Rip actually ran a fast break well tonight, with Rip getting the assist to Billups.

Stuckey made a couple of buckets on rather dramatic drives in.
    Amir had some blocks, and several dunks, and one layup in traffic. He only got in for about 5 minutes in the first half, and then the whole 4th, which was all garbage time.

In all, we pulverized this playoff bound team, and Amir had very little to do with it, nor Afflalo. Stuckey might not even have been positive in this game himself. The game was won primarily by the starters, minus Dyess, and with help from just two players, Maxiell and Theo. And this with a rusty Rip who missed his first 8 shots. As we approach the playoffs, we have a well rested group of starters and a bench that has played extensively all year. Flip has everything he needs right now to win it all. Lets see what he does with it.

13. adonis

adonis First Round Draft Pick

Just for Fun Max, mathematically speaking the ratio 10:0 does not exist. i can't wait for playoffs, pistons games are not showing anymore here because they clinshed playoff position already.

14. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Getting out of LGA on Friday afternoon is a serious chore so I only got to see the game from about the five minute mark of the third, but that was pretty impressive.

I don't see anyone above talking about Sheed in the third. Seven boards, two blocks, and a steal, and during the last part of the period, one of the most consistent dominating defensive stands I can remember seeing. Max was also a defensive monster then and the rest of the team fed off it.

15. max

max All-Star

How would one calculate that?

Too bad they stopped showing the games for you because they still are in a race against the West for Homecourt in the Finals. Obviously reducing the starters mins have been more important though.

16. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I missed it but I will watch it tonight. :)

Who woulda ever thought Max would have a 28 point game off the bench?

What's Darko's career high? I miss 16 mile telling us that Maxiell was a bum and too short.

17. max

max All-Star

11-13 shooting. It was an amazing display showing both range and athletisism. The guys started looking for him as the main scoring option after awhile. This game is a keeper if you recorded it.

edit to add. Darko's career high is 21 points.

18. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    J-Max actually said that he feels like he's got his legs back just in time.

19. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

first game i've been to in a long time...was pretty fun. decent crowd and max brought the house down time after time. i'm liking that rip is doing the alley-oop play he used to do with ben. his drunk in traffic after the amir johnson miss was much more impressive in person than what i've seen on the highlights.

the offense stagnated when lindsey entered the game...a lot of dribbling in the corner and standing around until 5 seconds left on the shot clock. it looked like stuckey was deferring to hunter as well, but i'd like to see stuckey playing PG if both of them are in the game at the same time. to lindsey's credit he was fantastic on defense and the traps worked well.

every time jarvis jacked up a shot i yelled 'another horrible miss!' and sure enough, it missed. i liked how afflalo played some backup 3, and this might work well in the playoffs. if jarvis is on fire, cool, but if not...i mean he gets beat so easily by a quick fake and drive that he has to foul. even though afflalo is shorter that would be happening much less.

but either way the pistons really bothered butler and jamison and didn't allow easy shots which was great. stuckey wasn't as aggressive as we've seen, but after 2 impressive drives (and actual finishes, woot) they were playing for it, and he racked up 6 assists which shows maturity.