vs Washington Wizards Sunday November 21 6:00 pm

Discussion in 'November 2010' started by roscoe36, Oct 19, 2010.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

3. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

PISTONS WIN!

Quick summary:

Stuckey had a nice start of the game with a few really sweet drives to the rim but faded a bit in the second half. CV put up awesome stats with 25-11 and JClutch keeps hitting the important fritos. Rip went totally insane in the OT and scored point after point. Our D didn't look pretty for large stretches of the game but we managed to win anyway.

No playing time for Daye tonight. Wall was out for the Wizards.
  4. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

I know Stuckey's point guard abilities are the most critiqued thing on this board, but I really don't think it's fair to critique it without pointing out the coaching. Kuester is seemingly calling all of the plays from the sideline (and you can see Stuckey looking over for the play every time they have the ball) and he's not even allowed to run the point and create. He's being taken out of the offense altogether and told to just hand off to Hamilton/Prince. When you factor that in, along with the lack of interior options to pass the ball to, Stuckey simply isn't gonna get a lot of assists. He only had 7 tonight because Hamilton was absurdly hot in the second half.
  5. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Overall, a well coached game by Kuester. But one problem - the play of Will Bynum. No defense from him at all. Other teams are just chomping at the bits to see Bynum on the floor. They leave in their taller starting guards as Kuester inevitably goes with Bynum to start the 4th. And he can't guard anyone. This results in a mad scramble by the rest of the team trying to cover for him. But its in vane.

Washington only scored a combined 40 points in the 1st and 3rd quarters. In contrast, they scored 38 points in the 2nd quarter. Yes, we won, but we have got to find an easier way to go about getting wins.

Daye did not play, but hey, Kuester is rotating Maxiell and Daye as the starting power forward. So Daye is not out of the equation. For certain, Daye has got lots of chances to show his stuff this season, and to gain experience. Do I like that its experience at the wrong position? Not at all. But at least he is out there gaining some general floor experience. This game, it would have been great to see TMAC run the point some with Daye in at small forward (Gordon at Shooting guard, CV at power forward, Monroe at center.) Nothing could have been worse than what we got in that second quarter on the defensive end of things.

Now, like I said, it was overall a well coached game. Our offense managed to click all game long despite what else was going on. Bynum himself had a couple of key buckets and an a good pass here and there to atone for a little of defensive shortcomings. CV was on fire from the outside, and went and scored around the basket plenty too. Eleven rebounds and generally ok defense rounded out quite the nice game for him. 25-11 if memory serves.

Rip was the OT hero after CV had that drive in against the trees to tie it up in regulation. Rip scored all our first 12 points in OT, pretty much all on laser sharp shooting over the shorter Washington guards. Height does matter in the NBA. JMAX made a free throw to break his streak finally.

JMAX had a fine game, giving us some scoring and solid D on Blatche. He played a ton of minutes in this one, something to be concerned about in the next few days as the Pistons complete this set of 3 games in 4 nights. Nice to see JMAX hit several free throws. He sure looks a site better when he is hitting them.

Gordon just keeps on scoring when asked to. Tay started out ok in shooting but ended up terrible. Rip was steady all game long, and ended up with 27 in all.

Just nine turns for the game for the Pistons. That is pretty good. They had plenty of offensive rebounds too. Thats JMAX wearing their inside players out over the course of the game.

We did not put all our starters back in until about 4 minutes left in regulation. So, except for JMAX, who again played a ton of minutes, we were pretty well rested at the end of the game and into OT.

The unit that ended the game, and won it in OT - Stuckey, Rip, Tay, CV, JMAX. This vaires from our starters only in that Ben Wallace is sitting while CV finishes games.

TMAC had some nice passes, one shot over a defender on the move, a dunk on an alley oop. And he kept Tay off his feet for a good long spell. This is huge - Tay has a back up at small forward. Something lacking on this team for many years now. No small ball. None at all. Any at all and we would have lost this game. Again, having TMAC, a guy we will actually play, back up Tay is huge.

Stuff coach still has not done: Find time for Daye at guard or small forward. (Simple - quit playing Bynum much.) Find time for Monroe to play power forward. (Put him along side either of JMAX or Ben Wallace. Find a way to rotate Ben Wallace and JMAX as the center for much of the game. (Break up the Monroe - CV combo which is not providing enough defensive size around the basket.)

At this point, I feel I have given Bynum all the time needed to fully evaluate his defense. Result: It just ain't there. People are getting around him too easy, and of course, with his height impediment, they often just shoot over him. Not pretty. And on offense, actually, it was just about anyone else out there besides Bynum who typically was initiating a play, not Bynum. Go another way Q.

They mentioned during the game that both Gordon and CV are around 14 ppg, off the bench, putting both in the top 5 in the league.

Great game to watch, close all the way. And an important win. And don't tell me how bad the Wizards are. They got a better record than us by far if they had won this one. Being 5-8 now is a whole lot better than looking at 4-9. Also, since we lost our first 5, that means we are 5-3 since, including a 4 game West road trip. Not bad.

The schedule coming up is a rough one. A pair of 3 game in 4 night sets wrapped around one game in the middle of that. But, for those of us who love to watch basketball, the more the merrier.

GO PISTONS!!!!!
  6. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Wow, I'm happy we won this game to-day and I'm also happy that Amir made double-double to-night.
  7. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Mixed feelings. Good to see CV coming to form. He is not the problem. It is the lack of a solid front line to which he is attached to and questionable point guard play that kept the Pistons in the bottom tier of teams. He would be a nice asset with the right players.

Rip was hot earlier but the team couldn't get him the ball except on isolations.

Two defensive assignment killed the team. Bynum and Monroe. It was a freeway to the lane with Bynum trying to guard Arenas (no way) and then Monroe either lost, out of position or slow not filling the lane. I can't blame the coach on Monroe. He needs playing time and who else is he suppose to play with the team's limited front line? But what is the excuse on Bynum? As I asked last week, why all the 4th quarter minutes for Bynum? He absolutely did not match up defensively with Arenas. So make an adjustment.

Washington is a poor team and yet they gave the Pistons all they could handle. The poor Piston front line made the Washinton center (name?) look like Howard.

It was great to get a win (Maxiel hit two key free throws late) but even in the win the two main problems of point guard play and a weak front line crop up.
  8. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Great OT win after falling behind a few buckets midway through the fourth.

They played steady ball down the stretch to get back in the game and had a great defensive effort in the end to hold the Wiz in check until Rip took over in OT.

At one point it appeared that whom ever was the first team to miss a bucket in the OT would lose and sure enough it was a Wizard as the Pistons and Rip were home free after that.

No John Wall for the Wizards, but agent zero was just as affective scoring 19 pts and dishing out a 16 assists. If he had made just half of the 9 three attempts, instead 1, the game may have had a different outcome. Of course the Pistons did not help themselves missing 10 free throws and per Kelser, falling below 70% for the season. :doh:

Still not happy that Daye could not get in there and at least play at the 3, and yes as Lee said, Bynum provided no defensive effort at all as evidenced by the 38 points that the Wizards got in the second qtr when WB came in.
  9. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

From the notes under the AP recap:

10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to watch a game in quite a while. But I do try to follow online at least.

Not good that we went to OT against a terrible team without John Wall, but hey, it beats losing... unless we're trying to win the draft lottery.
  11. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Lee did a great Lee-Cap, absolutely perfect. I'm really growing tired of Will Bynum, seriously, when T-Mac really starts to get his game back together (and with that alley oop, and 2 blocked shots on defense, it's coming) I say we juggle back and forth between Daye and Bynum being in the rotation as opposed to the Daye / Max / Monroe rotation. Speaking of Greg Monroe.... just how AWFUL is he in the lane, my goodness, he's WORSE than Ben Wallace. I'm really proud of Charlie Villanueva, Rip and Ben Gordon. I think the deal with the SG's is this: Rip starts and whoever has it going finishes, simple enough, and neither guy has complained about it, and why should they they're getting paid a small fortune to do what they do whether they're asked to do it for 20 minutes or 30 minutes.

Gilbert Arenas is coming back to form. He's a pure talent, we need to get him while the price is low. I suggest a deal that sends Rip and Wilcox to Washington for Agent Zero, he's by far and away better than Stuckey. A backcourt of Arenas/Gordon backed up by Stuckey/T-Mac would be AWESOME!!!!!

Step 1: NBA Trade Machine - ESPN

Step 2: NBA Trade Machine - ESPN

Ladies and gentlemen my work here is done!
  12. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

This is a fair observation and not without some justification.

I haven't noticed the call playing, but you have close eyes for the right pattern and all shop tools now come with laser beams.

Concerning the latter, all laser beams deal with intense, but different states of excitations. Security wants to always return to the ground state. This is what Stuckey needs to be subjected to and which has been absent from his observation point. As a success, team-mates get the residuals. He gets more. That might become leadership. It is never directional, but merely the sending off from a by-product.

Q is doing the right thing. Yes, there are some distinct subtracts of freedom movements from his end. He is now learning forced structure. This is good. Someone must have dependency thrust upon them.

And dependency does not mean always right. It means developing a framework that overcomes insure bonds. This is generalist territory and an understanding of size via the levels of proportion.

I want Stuckey to stay a Piston. So does Q. So does JD.

In order for him to stay, he needs to understand and work on informal bracketing. Sorta like the elegance of fractionals...where you begin to connect and understand the repeating and exact duplication of forms at different levels. It is the whorl of all trunks.

It becomes the backtracking of feeding. You feed off of...instead of succession.

I do not know which to prefer,
    The beauty of infections
    Or the beauty of innuendos,
    The blackbird whistling
    Or just after.

Wallace Stevens: Thirteen Ways of Looking at a Blackbird.
  13. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Dude, no he isn't. That's an outright lie that isn't supported by any statistical measure this year. Dude came into this game shooting 37% from the field on the year, that is until tonight when he got to feast on Bynum and Hamilton. Arenas is a sieve defensively and especially turnover prone, despite Wall handling the rock now.

I guess one game where he was allowed to absolutely dominate the ball convinces you that the guy is some great point guard, when he is absolutely not one. (And he's certainly not better than Stuckey... give me a freaking break). There's a reason Arenas is being pushed aside for Wall.

If Arenas came here, I'd stop following the team altogether. I'd refuse to watch that malcontent put on and besmirch the Pistons uniform.
  14. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

When Chauncey was at his peak Arenas was the only guard I'd even think about trading him for, of course this was before CP3, D-Will, Rondo and Rose were in the league.

Sorry I like Gilbert. Gilbert is to KGreg what Stuckey is to 2Tough4You. Ahhhh.........so nice to be arguing and disagreeing again isn't it. BTW, Stuckey had a nice game IMO, the team scored over 100pts, only had 9 TO's, shot almost 49% from the floor, the 2 hottest players got the most shots tonight, and Stuck played about 35minutes, the team surely didn't do all that with Bynum at the point. I missed Stuckey's play in the first qtr, and the rest of what I saw from him was nothing spectacular, but he had a nice stat line, he played under control....still looks winded after about 29minutes IMO. Now, the bad, exactly as 2Tough said, he seems to be playing very restricted, over thinking, ZERO improvisation and in the 2nd half looked like nothing more than a conduit to pass the ball back and forth between Rip and Tayshaun per John Kuester ......... something ain't right here, the triangular power struggle between Old,New, & Q continues.
  15. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

:pound:classic
  16. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

If your catch-n-shoot SG is absurdly hot, your PG should be racking up assists. I'm just sayin'.
  17. jayborne

jayborne Bench Warmer

It seems like you are already aware of this fact, so repeating it would be unnecessary. Kind of like this reply.
  18. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Yes, I would say this reply is quite unneeded. Got to make it long enough though.
  19. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Hey Rasc why do I need to log in twice ?
    Once to read and again to post ?

TheeTFD All-Star

Saw most of the game. My thoughts:
    This is a above average shooting team, once again our 3s saved us, 7 of 16 I think
    and Wiz shot ~.400
    This team has no defensive I.D. which I find hard to understand considering 3 starters played for the NBAs version of a steel curtain.
    When I see the Celtics cross legs so guys can't penetrate I think they want blood.