vs Utah Jazz Wednesday March 10 7:30 pm

Discussion in 'March 2010' started by roscoe36, Nov 3, 2009.

1. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Why did Q has to play Atkins at point really have me guessing, esp since Atkins did not play competitively for like 20 games. Why can't we just rotate the 3 'guards' of Bynum, Rip & Bengo for all 48 minutes at those 2 positions since all of them wanted minutes? Bengo can play the point when Bynum rests and Bynum can play the point when Rip rests and each of them will end up having an average of 32 minutes per which is not too many for guys their age. And with that unit which started the 2nd quarter, there will be absolutely no D. :gaah:

Are the commentators trying to tell us that you need one on one players for a team to win a title?

How did JJ end up having plus 16 when we lost in double digit figures? :confused:

Pistons actually won 3 out of 4 quarters and still lost the game in double digits. Wondering if this is a record. :confused:
  2. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

What a great game!.............for utah. But hey we took care of business, we kept pace in the ping pong race. The rooks got some run and most importantly Stuckey and Bynum got a great lesson from Deron Williams' school of, "This Is How You Run The Point", because that's what happened tonight, we got straight SCHOOLED!

Truth be told there may not be a better team to watch for basketball purists than Sloans Jazz. Watching them play their brand of basketball at the top of their game, is really a thing of beauty. The toughness, the rebounding, the hard screens, cuts, ball movement and execution. When they are on their game....WOW! And our team and coaching staff got a chance to watch it up close and personal, I hope they learned something.
  3. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

that is the long lasting curse.

PS

@Lee356: bball is teamplay. Atkins is very small piece of that and is benchwarmer anyway. take it easy.
  4. Brap

Brap Starter

If I had a choice, especially with Chris Paul's knee injury (and I've read that he's heading towards being a bone on bone in the knee player -- much more serious long term consequences than most people are focused on right now), I pick Deron Williams ahead of every PG in the league. I think this guy is a fabulous PG.

That said, Stuckey would have given him a hell of a lot more problems than Bynum did last night.

And the loss of Ben Wallace is also huge.

I know we must all be sick to death about talking about how injuries have destroyed our season - and we've tended to move our discussions to the inadequacies of our team, of which there are many. But let's be fair. Right now we're missing arguably our two best players this year - our two best and most important starters. We're being forced to play our bench guys in roles and for more minutes than we otherwise would. That's fine for them getting more PT and experience, and long run might well be helpful, but it's also pretty clear that these injuries have pretty much ripped the heart out of the consistency and sync of this team.

We're also still waiting for Ben Gordon to get it going. I assume he's healthy, although I don't think he's 100%. But he hasn't gotten his rhythm going yet. He will. No doubt he's a great scorer in this league - and he'll find himself again. Same with Wil Bynum, and when Wil gets his feet back (next year, it seems) his D will greatly improve too.

My issue on this team going forward is with CV. I just hope his awful D is due to his plantar fasciitis. But even so, I have a gut feel right now that before too long he'll be behind Daye, Jerebko and Summers in the rotation. I really liked how all three rookies looked last night. As for Summers - damn, he's got an intriguing skill set, and he's got a great NBA body and athleticism. I don't know if you guys caught this, but last night, when all 3 of them closed the game - Jerebko and Summers at the forwards, and Daye at SG - they seemed to have a really nice chemistry and flow to them. I'm guessing they practice together a lot.

Looking at the draft and FA - I imagine Joe wil draft a big man, a guy who projects as a center, unless we luck into Wall or Turner. But I wonder if it would be a mistake to pick a non-superstar player who gets plunked ahead of a guy like Summers. I really want that guy to get a chance to own the PF position for us.
  5. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

i was unable to watch the game.... looks like the 2nd quarter was just.... wow, but i see atkins playing less then 5 mins, and was only -1. If your 3rd string pg has to play and only loses 1 point..... just don't see that being the issue when your BLOWN out. Bynum 35 mins last night...... 2 assists and -15 sure looks like the more guilty party.

Again as much as it pains folks to see it, No BEN... NO DEFENSE..... and via alot of the ways to judge worth to a team, Stuckey is our best player, and he didn't play either...
  6. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Atkins was in for garbage time at the end of the game where Utah simply did not care what we did. We made up ground there. It does not excuse for a moment that Atkins started the 2nd quarter.
  7. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Except for a few minutes with Atkins in the game pretending to be a point guard, the Pistons played perfectly even with Utah.

I see a lot of criticism about some players, like Gordon and CV. Well, CV led us in scoring with 19, and Gordon helped lead a pretty good comeback attempt, as our point guard, in the 2nd half of the 3rd quarter. Gordon also did some inside scoring to start the 4th quarter to keep the game close enough.

So why did Atkins get to play? Weird coaching. In the same game we see Gordon can play the point for us just fine - so again, why did Atkins get to play?

One poster seemed to put blame on Daye, since he was also out there to start the 2nd. No, he was just out there with Atkins. Daye played in several segments of this one, and we did just fine with him out there. Like at the end of the third with Gordon at point, Daye at shooting guard, CV, JJ, and Prince up front.

I can't stand that Kuester went to ultra small ball mid 4th. Tay at power forward, basically playing a 4 guard set. It was rediculous, gave us no chance to win the game, and was kept in way too long. Summers got some play, but he should have gotten in way earlier in the 4th once the stupid small ball stuff ensured the loss. Its like Kuester wanted to make absolutely sure he lost this one before bringing in Summers, who has far too often helped us in comebacks earlier in the season. I guess Kuester must have been told to ensure a loss no matter what. At least by the way he coached that 4th quarter.

Again, was Atkins brought in just to get us behind - after we had played them even in the first quarter. Maybe management got on the phone and hollered at Kuester for making this one too close.

Yes, Rip did have quite a few assists, but for the game, Rip seemed to lead this team toward one thing - jump shots. Way too many jumpshots. Hey, Utah is not playing that great a front line that we can't go inside on them. Just play Rip less, and keep more guys out there who can attack the basket. Yes, Rip did try some to go inside - but it was disastrous. Rip is absolutely the wrong guy for Dumars to have kept.

Tay had a decent scoring game, maybe a bit too reliant on jumpers - but he was making them as well as working toward the basket at least some.

Bynum had a perfectly fine game - but again, maybe a bit too much jumpers - wonder who is influencing that. (Rip.)

Fast breaks. If Rip is involved, man we look horrible.

JJ and JMAX, somehow they matched up with Boozer and Memo just fine - except Memo hit way too many threes. Hard to stop a guy that tall from making threes. We got tons of offensive rebounds, and JJ scored in several ways. Love his aggressiveness toward the basket. Did I mention lately, oh I am sure it has not been long - the day Rip came back the first time from his ankle injury is the day the Pistons went away from what they can do oh so well - attack the basket. Bad influence. And this game, man that bad influence was evident constantly.

On rotations - not that bad except due to a very unwise decision to play Atkins to start the 2nd quarter, Kuester overreacted and brought Prince back in the game too early. By mid-4th quarter, Tay looked like he had no business being out on the floor. You lose games based on how much rest you give your starters in the 2nd quarter. Kuester has yet to learn this simple lesson. (By the way, in contrast, Carlisle did excellent on this particular thing. And Larry Brown was pretty good about it as well.) Hey, but Kuester is a rookie. So was Carlisle his first year with us. But Carlisle apparently paid attention while he was an assistant for all those many years.

Anyone remember the first thing Carlisle did? He told Stack he would have to sacrifice his numbers to make the team better. He was a rookie, and he did this. But people keep telling me that Kuester is powerless to tell any of our stars anything. By the way, how many losses does a team have to have before their stars lose their say?

Well, with that loss, its pretty safe to say we ain't making the playoffs. Can't even get back to .500 now. Meanwhile, teams ahead of us, with players we gave to them, are not going to slip that much with those quality players gifted to them by Dumars.
  8. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

It was funny in a non ha ha way to watch the Pistons $100 million dollar bench get torn to shreds by a Utah team who has been straight dumping players all season to avoid the luxury tax.

CG looked mildly active last night and played almost 27 minutes!!!!
  9. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Playoffs!!!I am glad you have a positive spin here , but I think our playoff aspirations were over IMO at the all star break when Joe decided to ride out the storm with what he had....in fact it was probably before that.
  10. Ernie the Slow Adult

It looked like the Jazz were playing a different sport than the Pistons.

There is no chance the Piston guards took note of this. They're too conditioned to blame their bigs for their troubles.
  11. LA Dre

The question is did Joe take note of it??? He is the one that has to evaluate the talent and realize who he has out there is not going to get the job done because they are set in their ways or Kuester can't coach it out of them.

For the first time in 7 years, the draft will really mean something and who ever is doing the scouting, needs to bring back all of the tapes and notes for a full review before that pick is decided on cause if it ain't the # 1 or 2 pick it might be a crapshoot. Please continue to root for wins for the Pacers, Wizards, Knicks, Kings and Sixers:)
  12. Ernie the Slow Adult

It is Joe who preaches the bigs do for me mentality that the team has.

If Stuckey throws a pass into the 3rd row Joe tells JJ to work on his jumping.
  13. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

J-Reb would be averaging 8-10 ppg higher this year if Piston guards would just make a simple pass to him on the break.

Credit to JJ, he keeps runnin.
    I'd have quit running the floor a long time ago if I were him.
  14. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

JJ and the kids look good because they actually play hard, and care.

JJ by far has the sort of heart we used to associate with the Pistons back in 02 and 03.

If only we could field 5 JJs, I bet you we could go .500.
  15. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

you put him on a team with a pg like nash he's the sort of player that will get you 20 and 8 every night.... he does look open for easy baskets on the break all the time, but we havn't seen a fast break here since Isaiah was pushing the ball up the court.
  16. Brap

Brap Starter

Stuckey announced to the world that he was going to speed up the Pistons game. Then Tay and Rip got healthy and they just don't do running and speeding up the game - they just don't. So we're back to the old ways.

I think that problem will largely take care of itself when the Pistons trade Tay, and I'll bet that we are going to trade him - at least by the trading deadline in 2011.
  17. Ernie the Slow Adult

You're not a Piston guard by chance?
  18. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Tay has actually been running out on fast breaks quite a bit over the last week. Granted, he does walk up the floor half of the time.
  19. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

The problem is not Rip and Tay. We have been playing like this before Rip and Tay were here. This is who we are.
  20. LA Dre

I love JJ, but if he could finish around the hoop with more conviction, he would average 16-18 every night. Just has a control problem with the ball around the hoop. He will get better with age and experience so as long as he gets PT we can probably expect better numbers over the next few years.