vs Utah Jazz Saturday February 26 7:30 pm

Discussion in 'February 2011' started by roscoe36, Oct 19, 2010.

1. copper

copper Bench Warmer

thoroughly enjoyed watching the game tonight. It was refreshing to see a group play with energy and a will to win. I am tired of watching Tay saunter around just half arse it and slowwwwww backdown 1on1 plays that wind up in missed shots. Monroe proved again hes gonna be a real star, he continues tp progress game after game, I was real happy to see the offense run through him in the first half for about 3-4 straight posessions. He was passing like we all know he can and he is showing that little hook shot and his hakeem the dream spin move to the hoop. Dayes defense in the first half was beyond horrible, he couldnt keep his man within 5 feet of him, but with a short bench he was allowed to work through it and proved a pivotal piece in the victory with some clutch shooting.
  2. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Pistons win one for the [STRIKE]gipper[/STRIKE] Kuester as he sits the vets and not a Piston over 28 played in tonights game. Time to go with the youth....

Even Max and Summers contributed as JMax had 4 pts, 4 boards and 3 steals including a key one with 90 seconds left when he swiped the ball from Milsap just left of the hoop.

Daye had a horrible game defensively giving up 4 dunks to AK47 in the first half but finally redeemed himself in the 4th qtr turning a bad 2-8 shooting effort into a 8-13 display including two key three balls in the last 4 minutes of the game and finished with 18 pts.

Monroe had another double-double with 12-16, but was also blocked 3 times. CV finally woke up and score 16 pts and matched Daye's 4-5 three pointer output.

Game ball goes to Stuckey who scored 28 pts including 3 clutch time free throws and a the steal of the game with 15 seconds to clinch the victory.

This was the first time the Pistons had beaten the Jazz since 2005 and which coincidentally was the season before Deron Williams was drafted by the Jazz. Yep the Pistons may be the only team that has not beaten Deron Williams yet. I checked the schedule and we do have a game vs the Nets on April 6th, so go ahead and pencil that game in as a loss. :sssh:
  3. Pistons0809

Pistons0809 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I, as well as Tom, Chet, Pops and Bobby were in attendance at the beautiful Palace tonight, soaking up alcohol but watching some exciting Piston basketball nonetheless ... That's really all I have to report.

"Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. -- 1 Peter 5:6" - A Tweet from Charlie Villanueva.

PF.com knows me as a quote-a-holic, but there were too many post-game quotes to highlight just one.
  4. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

WE BEAT THE JAZZ!!! WE BEAT THE JAZZ!!! WE BEAT THE JAZZ!!! WE BEAT THE JAZZ!!!

For 3 1/2 qtrs Austin Daye did EVERYTHING wrong! Invisible on offense, blew one defensive assignment after another, and could not corral a rebound to save his life, HE WAS BEYOND HORRIBLE! But low-and-behold the young'n showed up late in the game, go figure. He finally used his skills to his advantage at the PF spot on the offensive end by knocking down 3's and blowing by Milsap on a couple of occasions and Milsap only beat him once on the other end of the floor - net gain. He has proven over the course of this season that he's not scared of the moment and has got a that clutch gene in him that folks talk about.

Stuckey played a MAGNIFICENT game, good shots, under control and very efficient.

Ben Gordon was decent, but dang for $10M/yr we need more than decent, but tonight he was OK. Has anybody else noticed is tendency to not catch the ball when it's thrown to him ...... maybe I'm just looking too hard.

Will played HARD! And after last nights 48min performance (and 29 pts) he gets nothing but R-E-S-P-E-C-T from me - forever!

Monroe continues show more and more and more, we're actually giving him the ball in the post and he's been doing a solid job of creating his own shot these days. His growth and learning curve is amazing ......... can you imagine how good Stuckey would or could be if he could figure it out as fast as GM seems to be able to? The difference between Monroe in the pre-season and now usually takes guys at least 3 years to do, I expect him to be Hakeem Olajuwon midway through his 2nd season.

Kuester coached a helluva game in the 4th. He made offense for defense substitutions, pulled guys at the right time and let the team play through when neccessary. 1 example, when that STUPID lineup of Stuckey-Gordon-Summers-Daye and Max were on the floor I said WTF? But they brought good energy; then he subbed in Monroe (good move) but it was Max? Again WTF! BUT IT WORKED. Then Daye got abused by Milsap in the post. OK Q get a big out here to play some defense, bring Max back in (for either Daye or Summers). Sub buzzer goes off, Good Move Q! Summers is going out. Good Move Q. And Bynum is coming in! Again WTF! BUT IT WORKED!!!! But down the stretch Q made solid off/def substitutions and actually coached a game for the first time this season.

UofM and the Pistons won in the same day! Mood:Ecstatic!
  5. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

The Pistons need to build the team around Monroe. It is starting to get obvious. Can Joe see it? Can he adjust his Stuckey vision? Compare what Monroe is doing with the other draft picks of the Pistons this last decade. No comparison. Within two years, he will be the best player on the team and it may not be close. He probably should have been taken as the third pick this year. Monroe had few early minutes and is playing with a coach that most people don't rate highly. It didn't matter.

Monroe will need someone, just as capable, to play along side him. That is the future. The draft pick this year is tremendously important.

Wait until JJ shows his movement along with Monroe. The Pistons have the beginning of a lively front line. It was the decline of the front line due to aging that ended the run. As bad as things are now, getting Monroe is probably the best thing that happened to the Pistons in many years.
  6. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

We gave up a lot of points, way too many inside. Our team defense was not up to par in the 1st quarter as we saw Kirilenko and another Jazz player dunk on us all too often, either on fast breaks, or a guy cutting from the weak side. (No, none of this was particulary Dayes fault - its not like at any point Daye lost his man - the whole team was just not working together.)

But we scored a lot of points too, to start pretty much all on offensive rebound putbacks. (a triple by Daye and a layup off a steal was all we get beside the putbacks for quite a stretch to start the game. But, it was enough to keep even with all the dunks on the other end.

With Gordon and Daye helping to spread the D, it seemed a bit more easier to feed the post - though Monroe ended up getting most of his points his usual way - off cleaning the glass.

CV got hot on the 3 ball to make it worth having him in the game. But note, Summers is every bit the outside shooter CV is, and he plays defense. (But in this game, it was pretty much Summers at small forward, CV at power forward, so they could both share the floor.)

JMAX played solid D as always. Since he played so many minutes between last night and tonight, with no limp - it seems he is heeled from the knee problem. Good thing.

Milwaukee, the only team that played tonight that we have to overtake for a playoff spot, lost. Still hope.

We started Stuckey, Gordon, Daye, Wilcox, and Monroe. Four guys came off the bench, Bynum, JMAX, Summers, and CV. All of them helped.

Stuckey and Bynum each had 8 assists, with Stuckey scoring 28, on almost exclusively drives to the hoop. I'll take that from my starting point guard any day.

28 is also the max age of any Piston on the floor tonight. Hmm, maybe Bynum and Wilcox are that old? And JMAX I think. Got to refresh my memory on that.

Daye is proving clutch right out the gate in his career. Every one of his 4 threes was a ton of fun to watch. (And CV's 4 3's were nice too - one of those 3's by CV was way behind the line - as was one of Dayes - maybe not quite as far back though.)

When TMAC gets over the flu - who knows, maybe he goes back to starting at point guard. But I never want to see Gordon taken out of the starting unit. We need his outside shooting to spread the floor. And Tay, wrong kind of game to mesh with Monroe. In the long run, was much better off feeding the ball to Monroe in the post vs. trying to get too much out of Tay's back, on his backdowns. Yes, of course Tay also makes those swooping shots of his that are excellent - but he can do that off the bench. Daye is more practical in helping to spread the floor so that Monroe can operate.

Continuing to start Gordon means not pairing him up with Bynum and forcing us to use a zone. TMAC still ain't ready to play major minutes so sure you can still find some time for Bynum to play - but limit his minutes so that the other team can't get use to his brand of offense. (and maybe does not have the time to exploit him on the other end)

The other starter who is out, Ben Wallace, to attend to the sad passing of his brother, simply should be a defensive sub - used as needed. Let the younger JMAX play. Actually, with JMAX being as large as he is, and Ben Wallace being as old as he is, the 2 make a perfect pair of bigs to come in as needed to play D. Keep them both fresh.

Finally, when all three of these older vets come back, we will be back to the question - play CV or Summers. Neither is a good rebounder but CV is better. CV handles the ball better around the basket. Both shoot well from outside, though I believe Summers will prove to be the more consistent shooter. (Look, as little as Summers plays, he still keeps that jumper sharp - that is pretty impressive.) Me, I would use Summers for his better defense - especially on defensive rotation - as much as possible. CV could be looked at as a defensive sub against certain players where a tall guy is simply needed to stop a taller post player from scoring over him.
  7. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

surprised...very good crowd tonight even with the crappy weather conditions and what happened yesterday. the only boos in the player intros were for kuester. overall it was an exciting game and nice to see everyone playing hard and the crowd getting into it in the 4th. finally a game where the pistons don't slowly lose their grip and lose by 15.

monroe should've had at least 2 more assists...making 2 great passes early where the other guys blew layups. great game overall even though he struggled with the jazz frontcourt as did everyone else on the roster (especially daye).

only listened to a little bit on the radio after the game but daye was apologetic, kept repeating he is a 2nd year player and should not be late for shootaround and that it was a miscommunication and he apologized to kuester.

regardless, a surprisingly good time at the palace tonight.
  8. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I'm chomping at the bit to see what JJ and Monroe together can do on the court together.

JJ brings great energy like Ben Wallace does plaing alongside GM, but JJ is not an offensive liability. Not sure if JJ will play 3 or 4, but if you pair him with (a more stronger and confident) Austin Daye next season it really won't matter.
  9. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

As does everyone else in the league, Milsap and Al Jefferson are a load on the offensive end of the court.
  10. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

JJ has no size to play power forward. When he wowed us all and proved he was a player - it was when Tay was injured and JJ started at small forward. JJ and Monroe between them do not have enough bulk to keep the other team's bigs out of the paint. In any case, JJ has a lot of rehabilitation to go thru, and then has to stay healthy for a while, before we make too many plans for him.
  11. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

I don't know how it was in person, but on TV, it sounded like the Palace was as loud in that 4th quarter as it's been in years. And by years, I'm talking since our finals years. Really electric.
  12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Bynum and Stuckey just had tremendous games.

Bynum with 8 assists and 4 steals in 22 minutes with a +20 on the night! He was the ultimate momentum changer in this game several times. Pure heart and fearlessness.

Stuckey with his 2nd highest scoring game of the year and his 5th highest assist game with only 1 turnover.

Combined, these two went for 39 points, 7 rebs, 16 asts, 6 steals, and only 3 turnovers. They shot a hair under 50% (13-27). They were 13-14 from the FT line.

It was another lobsided night on the blocked shots front, which shows our lack of athletic bigs. We were outblocked 9 to 1. Last night was 8 to 1 or something like that.

Maxiell was playing great too. He was the one getting the most contested rebounds at the key times.

With Monroe, I'm completely on board with running as much of the offense through him as possible. We know he's a good passer and he just hasn't been able to show it this year due to his role. It's a weapon that most teams don't have. It's a way to compensate for our lack of a true starting pass-first PG. Bynum's highest and best use is as a super-sub... even though he's my favorite player on the team at this point.

Daye is offense only. Same with Charlie. Same with Ben Gordon. There's no changing it. You only need 1 guy like this on your team... maybe 2. Usually they are 6th men.

Did Kuester just break down the arrogance wall on the team for good? Was this all just like basic training? Will the remaining players emerge as mentally tough ground soldiers?

Very interesting week. By the way, I don't comment on people's appearances very often, but has Kirelenko become the ugliest player in the league? That haircut looks like it should be on a witch.
  13. copper

copper Bench Warmer

I agree with your entire post except this part about Daye.Yeah I agree he was terrible today and I was screaming at the tv to get him outta there early on. However, I do see him making strides and he is a better rebounder than most give him credit for. As far as cv and bg...hell yeah they are either hitting shots or killing the flow of the game, cv attempts defense once in a while and has been not as annoying lately, but bg is a mess, I actually shiver in hatred when he is on the court, because I know nothing good is gonna come outta him, usually a turnover or a forced shot that turns into 2 for the other team. He is nowhere near the player we thought we were getting when we signed him, and currently I would keep cv instead of bg if we could lose 1 of them. Cv reminds me of Terry Mills, big bald head firing up 3s and when hes hot....look out. I thought BG would be a 2.0 version of vinnie, but hes closer to 2.0 walter sharpe/ rodney white. Useless.
  14. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

They were indeed (in my Dick Vitale voice) AWESOME with a capital 'A' Baaabyyyy!!!!

You're exactly right on both parts, I keep Bynum as my super-sub because he only makes $3.5M, and he can deliver everynight (when healthy) that drive to the hoop never fails, the other guys rely on outside shooting to bring value. This summer I'd be shopping Gordon and CharlieV trying to turn them into either Afflalo or Wilson Chandler or BOTH this summer.
  15. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Pistons, Wolverines, Red Wings and Tigers all win, so in the words of Ice Cube, "today was a good day"
  16. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

man i became angry just looking at him lol
  17. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Hmm, good game coached. No "core" guys in game. No politics?
  18. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Great win and I like the young rotation. Keep it and add JJ and White when they return. And Bynum has really won my respect during the last couple of days - he's not whining when he gets DNP CD for months and he's really happy when he gets 48 minutes.
  19. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I really get a sense after this game, seeing Kuester slapping hands with all the players after the finish, that this is a pivotal moment. The team led by Will Bynum's play is playing like a team. What happens when T-Mac, Tay and Ben get back?

How bad was the Piston defense?

(truehoop.com)

Here's another odd fact:

(pistonpowered.com)
  20. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Only thing is, he never was DNP CD for months, nor any length of time. Bynum has missed just 11 games, of 61 played so far, and seldom were any of those DNP's consecutive. His benching is a myth.