vs San Antonio Spurs Tuesday February 8 7:30 pm

Discussion in 'February 2011' started by roscoe36, Oct 19, 2010.

1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

On 4/3/2010 through 4/12/2010 he had 6 consecutive games with double digit scoring, an average of 4.5 assists, 2.0 steals, and FG% of about 50%.

Earlier in that season, he had a 5pt/20ast game, 16/6 game and a 16/7 game with .600+ shooting all in a row.

Earlier still, he had 3 20-point games in a row with rebs of 8, 2, and 4, and assists of 6, 3, and 6.

He had a 15 out of 19 game stretch with double digit scoring at the start of last year's season.

In his first year with us, he had a 20/9 and a 25/11 pair of games with .600+ shooting.

It's tough to show consistent production coming off the bench. Look at Ben Gordon and Charlie Villanueva. They're just asked to come in and light it up and they can't sustain it. Being asked to come in the game, score, and run the offense is a tougher task.

Ben Gordon has only strung together 5 consecutive games in double digits off of the bench this year.

After Villanueva's hot start, he's only put 4 consecutive games in double digits together off the bench.

How about this streak-
    Consecutive games shooting > .500 from the field.

Stuckey- 3
    Villanueva- 2
    Bynum- 4
    Gordon- 2
    Hamilton- 1
    Daye- 4
  2. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Daye and Bynum don't play that many minutes and thus have some games where they only take 5 or less shots. That's how I explain that statistical anomaly.

Anyway, I was talking about this year with Bynum, not last year or the prior year.
  3. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I see a lot of talk about Bynum's shooting percentage. That is not what I am talking about though. I am talking about his 13 shots taken while dishing just 2 assists.

Tay may have said Bynum had an excellent game - but if he is a backup "point guard", he should be having that excellent game as a point guard - more assists, and less shots.

On the defensive end - remember this - we could have had Rip Hamilton out there instead of Bynum. Stuckey could have played the backup point guard minutes. Some think Rip is not that great a defensive player - but compared to Bynum, he is very good indeed. We did way too much scrambling to cover for Bynum in this game. Rip would have held his own, and a lot of those outside shots SA took would have been chased off.
  4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I interpreted "ever" as going beyond this season. He's been coming back from injury and has been toughing it out. Flashes of brilliance mixed with off nights.

Bynum averages more shots per game than Monroe. He has 8 games this year with more than 5 FGA's and 50% or better from the field. He has an 8-10 game, and 8-12, and now a 9-13. When he's hot, he's hot.

As far as him being a scorer and not a passer, he averages more assists per game than field goals. TMac and Ben Wallace are the only other players on the team who can also say that.

Big picture: This guy is all heart and had a tough path to secure his spot in the NBA. He's under 6' tall and has the ability to penetrate and jam. He's not big enough and doesn't have a good enough jump shot to be an NBA starter. He may not be in the top 15 backup PG's in the league. But he's definitely in the bottom 15 backup PG's, which makes him above average for our team. Will Bynum is not our problem, he's a character guy who plays hard every night and has the ability to carry the team in stretches.

And remember, a healthy Will Bynum has the record for most points ever in a quarter by a Piston. He is also the only Piston to record 20 assists in a game since Isiah.

Find me another backup point guard in the NBA who has a 26 point quarter and a 20 assist game.
  5. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

If Super Collider could have made a couple of his layups last night, the Pistons may have had a chance. A few weeks ago, my son asked what that nickname meant. Now, whenever Stuckey drives, my son yells "Oh no" with me as we watch the collision and the missed layup.
  6. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Did you guys catch the shirt/sweater that Tommy Gores' was wearing at the game? That thing was awesome with the wide open V neck as was the self satisfied smirk he wore on his face in between sips of his oversized cocktail. I almost woke the kids up with the yelp I let out when he came on screen. This guy is a winner. Mrs. D is circling him like a shark in the water.

I guess you got to go back to the 80's C's and Lakers to see an offensive team that executes as well and is as disciplined as the Spurs. Their pace and spacing were awesome and despite getting some off nights from some of their main guys they never really went through any droughts.

Ginobli was awesome on D with the way he was squaring up and staying in front of guys all night.

I've never seen a big guy use the scoop shot (ever) as much as Blair.

Bynum was great and he has gotten healthy. The Piston coaches felt that T-Mac and Gordon were having trouble covering Parker.

With his 0-3 4th quarter that included missing 2 wide open layup attempts, a pass that landed in the 12th row and another that required a 6'11 player to dive across the floor to prevent another from landing in the same spot you know it is just a matter of time before Stuckey's dad puts him back in the starting 5. I wouldn't be surprised if it was tonight.
  7. BillLaimbeer

Rip Hamilton is done as a Piston. Detroit has 3 shooting guards (Hamilton, Gordon, Stuckey) and only enough minutes (48) for 2 shooting guards. The whole combo thing where guys play multiple positions in one game did not work and Kuester rightfully bagged it.

A 4-guard rotation has worked better and is the best chance for success the rest of the way. The rotation appears to be:

Starters:
    PG: TMac
    SG: Stuckey
    SF: Tay
    PF: Monroe
    C: Wallace

Bench:
    PG: Bynum
    SG: Gordon
    SF: Daye
    PF: CV
    C: Max

The main issue here is CV and Max together gives you a "no rebound" lineup.

Wilcox and Hamilton both have a sore groin? Jerebko will change the frontcourt if he ever gets healthy. Maxiel will be back to the bench if either Wilcox or Jerebko get back.

I don't see White playing this year until we are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. Perhaps he could go to the NBDL when healthy and get some game action.

Summers will be out of the rotation unless multiple injuries occur.
  8. BillLaimbeer

Mrs. D said that Gores "is family" to a reporter. To me, that sounds like your wish is very close to coming true, Ernie.
  9. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Accutally Thrill is part of the problem. He has sub NBA starter talent like the rest of his teammates but does the best he can. Especially when the rest of the team is covered with frostbite for 3.5 quarters.
  10. Brap

Brap Starter

Bynum's only redeeming defensive quality is pestering guys bringing the ball up the court. He has the worst trouble staying in front of his man in half court defenses - which is really weird given how super fast and quick he is. I'm guessing that his footwork and effort at that end of the court really stink.

When he does rotate out to shooters, he's simply too short to bother their shots, even on the rare occasions that his rotation is timely.

He's a sparkplug, off the bench, instant offense type player. I no longer believe he's a good fit for what this team is trying to build down the road. Monroe, Daye, Jerebko, even Stuckey -- I just don't see those guys as players a guy like Bynum compliments.
  11. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

Bynum is brutal for long stretches. I cannot figure out why we close games with him. At the end of the game you need execution. Unless your idea of execution is one-on-one basketball; then Will should be sitting. He takes the rest of our team out of any rhthym they may have had standing around watching him dribble the air out of the ball.
  12. BillLaimbeer

Like I said, Bynum is fine as a backup PG with a defined role for a mediocre team, which is what the Pistons currently are. By defined role, I mean 10-15 mpg spelling the starting PG. He also must be reminded to be a floor leader, which he has demonstrated he can be.
  13. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It all comes back to coaching. Carlisle and Larry Brown knew how to use Lindsey Hunter very well in those stretch years mid 2000's.
  14. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

He does fit the role of spark plug off the bench but his "I can score on anybody" mentality hurts the team.

Maybe he is vying to be considered another SG on the roster and is looking to take Stuck's spot??
  15. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

who is going to be on the team in 3 years?

we arn't going to win anything this year or next, I don't think he's the guy to close with either..... but I do want to see what we have on the roster now going forward and T-Mac isn't going to be here in 3 years...

I am fine with T-mac setting the table... lets see who on the team is able to finish, if they can't.... then they need to move on.
  16. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Therein lies our problem. You've got a midget backcourt that can't defend and an undersized frontcourt who can't rebound. If there was a competition to come up with the worst 5 on the floor using the players on the roster, this probably would be the winning combination.
  17. Walter

The current Pistons are at their best when they move the ball around and execute. As soon as we start doing isolation plays we blow leads or dig ourselves a huge hole. Will Bynum is a joy to watch when he's on. But when he goes into me-vs-theworld zone, our offense grinds to a halt. Bynum's a great guy, but he can't take on NBA teams 1-on-5 and win. It ain't never gonna happen. It's the same way with Prince. He's playing terrific this year, but he also goes into the I'm-the-best-player-on-this-team-so-I-take-all-the-shots mode. He even makes some impressive plays there, but overall it spells the end of the game for us.

We played decent team basketball in the 1st half against the Spurs. Then in the 3rd, Prince started trying to take on 2-3 Spurs on by himself. There were at least two posessions in the 3rd where he forced baseline WTFallaways over two Spur defenders while Daye was wide open at the 3pt with nobody within 10 feet of him. Then Bynum took over and by that time it was pretty much done.

There is more or less a consensus among us that the future core is Monroe, Stuckey, Daye, JJ, and possibly Gordon, CV, Summers. For that group to succeed, we need to get rid of Prince, Rip and Bynum. Either that or we get a coach with enough balls that will pull out Prince/Bynum out of the game the first posession he goes into the la-la land.
  18. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Can't prove it beyond a shadow of a doubt - but I kind of sense Tay being jealous of any success Daye has, and seems to try to do too much whenever Daye makes a good play as opposed to doing the right thing - feed Daye when he just scored to see if Daye can repeat it. I am still thinking Daye belongs in the starting unit - as he pulls people farther away from the basket with his good 3 point shooting - and maybe Tay sees this as a threat to him starting. In this case - hey, just start Daye and then tell Tay he has to earn his way back to starting by playing team basketball.
  19. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Yeah, and I am pretty sure we used this combo of players quite a bit last game. Q follows his old pattern, and some fans here on this board support that pattern - lose games and then find excuses as to why the game was lost - never ever thinking for a moment that its his poor rotations that are the problem. To anyone thinking this post is aimed at them - nope, a lot of fans here believe our team is horrid and Q is doing his best with what he has. Me, and lots of others have the opposing view - we have a pretty good team, not being used right to win games.

Maybe a poll on this is in order. Just a suggestion.
  20. Walter

The thing that really drives me crazy is when they play together, Daye an Tay are great on the court. It sucks that it only lasts for a few minutes.

Daye and Monroe seem to play their best game when Tmac's in the game with Stuckey, Rip and Prince all on the bench.