vs San Antonio Spurs Sunday February 21 6:00 pm

Discussion in 'February 2010' started by roscoe36, Nov 3, 2009.

1. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

The "hate comment" relates to most of your recent comments about Joe.... you're allowed to believe that Hammond and Mr. D made the decisions during the good years while Joe was sleeping in the backseat...

Feel free to name 5 better GM's over the past decade.

Of course JD's made his share of mistakes recently (didn't like the CV signing or AA trade)... However he should be given the slack to start another winning cycle without calling for his head already.

2. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

It's been on loop all year. I've just learned to ignore it. Some people just have their fall guy in a down year that they can't even compliment without a little dig on the side when they do well.

3. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

And so do some of our friends here at this forum, easy . . . oh man easy.

4. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

One of the 4 guards has to bite the bullet. Seeing as how The Quintessential One has been deemed the "Franchise"; 2 of the other 3 are making 8 figures....that leaves out......Will.

Great to see Q make all the right decisions in the 2nd half, sans the whole leaving Ben in for too long deal. But he did tweak the rotation a bit. A lineup with 2 undersized guards, where one is not known for defense and the other is injured and really-really short, with a SG at SF playing with CV is INSANE to put it politely. But I giveQ credit he tweeked it and it worked.

5. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Kindly show me a series of plays in the 4th where Rodney "choked". I don't remember him choking.

The only time where I thought his play was "questionable" was mid-way through that third quarter where he had a couple of his drives stuffed in succession. Stuckey wasn't brought in till the 6 minute mark of the 4th quarter and for most of those possessions till the 2 minute mark, Pop took it out of everyone's hands by employing the Hack-A-Ben.

6. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Ginobili has been flopping like a fish for years now.

7. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

He was screwing up. Had a pretty bad turnover, where he threw the ball to the ref. Too many times he drove DIRECTLY INTO THE HELP D, which is cool if you kick out, but it's Rodney so.........he did get 1 nice kick out to Tay though.

I can't believe nobody has mentioned that:
    :director: RODNEY STUCKEY WAS 3-3 FROM THE 3pt LINE

:djparty: :dancingparty:

8. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

And he should shoot them in rhythm more often. His problem is he goes weeks between actual rhythm three-point attempts. 90% of his attempts are bail-outs or half-court heaves.

9. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

He looked pretty comfortable shooting them too.

I don't mind if he takes 1-2 of those a game as long as they're open (they usually are) and in rhythm. If he can be a threat out there, it really would open up the rest of his game.

10. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I could care less about ancient history. I would rather talk about recent history, like since 2004, where Joe Dumars has done nothing but cap moves with the attached promise that someday that would translate into us hiring impact free agents. (As opposed to a couple of bench players 5 years after the first cap move.) But rest assured, as a basketball player, Joe Dumars is still one of my heros.

11. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

We did discuss it in the chat room, but you are right he did hit those three-threes with one of them at the buzzer near the end.

But you do bring out one good point....when is Stuckey going to learn to kick out to an open man when he is crashing the middle or going 1 on 3?? Of course is the open man ready or in position to receive the pass is the big question.

12. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Actually, Stuckey has it right. The other guys are suppose to be crashing to the basket with him, so he can deliver an interior pass for an easy bucket. Kickouts are something you only want to do as a last resort. Attacking the basket is the right thing to do. Just got to get guys to join Stuck in this effort. (Yeah, I know, you got to do some kickouts to keep them from packing in the lane - but that should hardly be your primary focus.)

13. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

I really didn't want to lose draft position but when Manu did that flop on Rip, I wanted the Pistons to beat them draft or no draft. I was in my usual mode, ok, play well and then lose the game--then that Manu flop. Fouling Ben was one thing but that flop showed no integrity. Manu has been too good a player to keep that stuff up and the officials buy it. I don't blame Rip. He called Manu out. It was a meaningless game he almost threw away to make a point. Rip is a real warrior.

I have stated many times, Rip and Tay are still worth a bunch they are just not worth a young big that the Pistons need in exchange. Teams covet their live bigs. But a top team will regret not going after Rip for scoring punch contract or not.

Stuckey can improve his passing and decision making but I don't look at that. I watch what he does when the jumper presents itself especially late in the game. If he starts to hit the jumper with a bit of range as he did against SA, he can move up a level. If he doesn't, he won't. Right now he is playing like a good 10th pick but the question is, can he move up a level and play like a top 5 pick. Yet to be determined one way or another. Its' all about the jump shot now.

Ben played like a man possessed at the end. When the Piston bigs compete with a superior effort, the Pistons can win games. Trouble is that it takes a special effort to do that.

I like JJ over Blair. JJ will be better next year and the next. His fluidity is off the charts for his size. He is already hitting shots in his first year but will get much better in this area. He is a bit of a tweener but will fill out. He must learn to play around the basket. But I project him out as a significant player down the line. I want to see more of Daye who is also promising.

The Pistons will only go somewhere next year if they can revamp the front line. It is not about the guards.

Gordon will be an asset if and when the Pistons get a team around him.

14. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

It's amazing that one sentence can inspire such a personal critique and appeal to emotion.

15. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

To claim I have been on a loop, or that I am making Stuckey the fall guy is blatantly untrue.

If you're going to ignore what I have to substantively say about Stuckey, could you also skip the bit where you infer my criticisms are rooted in my pettiness and not my intelligence?

16. max

max All-Star

That's exactly the way I feel. I have not wanted them to beat a team so bad in a long time.

A lot of teams are going to wish they had a guy like Rip on their team for the playoffs as we finish out the cycle.

17. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

WOW..

I watch the game and recorded it so I can watch it my entire F***ing life.

Man.. I have to tell you guys that I almost cry from anger when I saw the Mo****F***ing Popovich doing that "HACK-A-BEN" horsesh**!!!

Oh my god I was sooooo sooooo angry man.. i was screaming in my house (I was alone then, of course) And shouting things like If i was in The Palace!!!!

Cursing and shouting Deetroiitt basketballl (And I never been in the palace in my life :( , yet )

But I have never been as happy as I was today after the game ended and the F***ing Spurs have to go home with NOTHING more than another BAD EXPERIENCE in Motown City!!!! (And a few bruises)

LOL!!! man i was laughing my ass off when i saw Ginobili crashing against Big Ben :pound:

This is baskteball, son!! It's hard, it's phisical and if you cannot handle it, go home. (What? Do you miss Bowen? lol)

I think this was the best Pistons' game that I Saw THIS Season..

THANK YOU PISTONS!! THANK YOU FOR THIS JOY!

(I go to sleep now becouse in 3 hours i've to wake up to go to work)

See ya people!!!

18. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

What a night of Piston basketball!

Rip has always tried really, really hard to be a player that gets under an opponents skin and 100% of the time it backfires and takes only him out of the game. Ginobli played him like a fiddle.

Anyone remember when Tay and Jefferson were the 2 best young SF in the East? When was that, 1760?

I loved the sideline report detailing CV's struggles and lack of playing time due to his poor D that showed Kuester working 1 on 1 with him at practice while Charlie stood there and stared back blankly at him.

Stuckey getting blocked by 2 guys on the same shot was special.

Jerebko missed a lay-up in the 1st Q and I was legitimately stunned. He has great touch around the basket.

Manu can be an annoying son of a gun, but his anti-Stuckey drive and lay-up in the 4th where he slalomed though 4 guys by changing direction repeatedly was something else.

19. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

The line up we used towards the end of the 3rd quarter and almost the entire 4th quarter (til about the 5 min mark) really surprises me and they are the ones who got the lead to 11 if i'm not mistaken. The line was Will, Beng, JJ, CV and Max. Not a defensive group but they hustle and give us the energy cause this group is young, none above 28 yrs old. And this group is consider big for our team. Wonder Q would be using this line up in the future.

When all the starters came back in to end the game except JJ, (Beng the only sub), the starters seem to treat Beng as if he was JJ. No one passes the ball to him. The entire play from then on is waiting for Rip to get open as he ran around screens. We were lucky that Stuck managed to score when Rip could not get open from the screens. And we were playing small from then on where Tay has to guard Dice on the defensive end. If we are not gonna get Beng involve on the offensive end, why not put Max or JJ in?

Anyway, good win. Should have won it in 48 minutes. With the hack-a-Ben strategy and OT, this game took longer than any normal OT games and it made me extremely late for work. ARGH!!!

20. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Oh my. So foul and fair a game I have not seen in a while.

Hack-a-Ben is a no win situation for the Pistons. He's not going to make the free throws but you need his defense. Take him out and he gets mad, leave him in and the Spurs go on a 10-2 run. Of course, taking him out at 2:05 took no-win to a whole new level.

The rules folks need to look into this. Maybe an intentional foul off the ball should always be two shots and the ball, or maybe one shot and the ball. It's a lot of pressure on the refs, but this is no more basketball than the four corners was. It's contrary to the spirit of the game.

And Rip. What a dolt. Good old look-at-me Rip at his finest. Putting your team down going into overtime must surely be one for the books. Fine him, suspend him, something. It's too bad his tantrums had to overshadow some fine games by his teammates.

Oh, and Bynum. When was the last time he had a positive impact on a game?