vs Sacramento Kings Wednesday February 10 7:30 pm

Discussion in 'February 2010' started by roscoe36, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Just pointing out that JJ could have played backup small forward, got plenty of minutes without having to sit JMAX at the end of the game. And if we are going to rely on 3 pointers at the end of a game, why not use a clutch 3 point shooter like Gordon at the end of the game. Not saying that Gordon should have been in there, or that we should have been shooting the 3 pointers, but if you are going to do something, use the right guy for the job. We lost the game from our defense breaking down, letting a guy waltz in on us and lay the ball in, twice. That does not happen with Ben Wallace and JMAX in there. Again, we had the wrong guys in to end the game, for what we did. And the wrong guy for certain in JJ over JMAX as far as our defense. JJ does hustle, but that is not the same as playing awesome interiour D, which he does not. Good, but nowhere near as good as JMAX or Ben Wallace.

In this game, Stuckey played 42 minutes, Bynum 17. That is 59 minutes of point guard play. Reduce Bynum down a few minutes, and Stuckey down 7, and now Bynum still plays 14 minutes while Stuckey plays 35. And voila, you got 10 minutes to fit JJ in at small forward. Add the 10 to Tay's 35 minutes, and you got virtually the whole game with no small ball without changing the number of minutes for Rip or Gordon.

Better yet, lower Tay's minutes just a bit, knock off a few minutes from Gordon and Rip, and have Daye play 10 minutes. And we never ever go to small ball at all. And win the game. Plus Stuckey has the energy to crash in there at the end and win the game at the free throw line.

To have been even better, play Summers some minutes at power forward, reducing the minutes CV played. Play healthy young players. It can only make the vets that much more serious about playing out there. Make them continually earn their minutes.

But hey, if Kuester keeps doing what he is doing, what he is comfortable with - losing - soon it will just be the young guys playing as the season is declared lost anyway.

2. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I said before that they are bringing Stuckey back into games WAAAAAY too early, he goes out at the end of the 1st and 3rd qtrs around the 2:30-3:00 mark and then comes back in to start the 2nd and 4th qtrs....WHY! He should come back in around the 6/7:00 mark at the earliest. This would bring his playing time to about 30-35mpg, and allow Daye or Summers some playing time, or some more playing time for JJ at SF, which you need with CV on the court.

What's happening now with the rotations and minutes is pure BS!

3. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I agree Lee, thank you for pointing out the entire picture rotation wise for the game.
    I dont think JJ should be getting as many minutes at the 4 as he is, and use him more as a reserve role for Tay, and maybe sprinkle some minutes in at the end of quarters.

4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Udrih is actually a pretty good player. I'd welcome him to come to our team.

5. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

I agree. No player should be playing more than 35 minutes a night.

But really, it's Prince's minutes that need to be reduced by quite a bit for a guy like Daye to really get any run.

6. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Udrih is a good player ... I agree (I hate his long contract though).

But Bynum has been letting everyone blow by him at will lately, and to compound matters even more, he's been reaching in and fouling guys on jump shots (how many three point plays has he given up lately? - way too many).

Perception is an amazing thing. Bynum is considered by many to be a good/solid defender and Gordon is considered by most to be a horrid defender. But having assessed both of them so far this year, I'd say Bynum has been significantly worse.

7. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Bynum is coming off, not one, but two sprained ankles. No one is going to have good lateral movement a week after returning.

8. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

So how long is that a viable excuse?

The way I look at it, he's healthy enough to play.

9. BillLaimbeer

Bynum was an above average defender last season, so that means he isn't back 100% yet. If I had to keep 3 guards and send 1 packing, the choice would be easy. Bynum, Gordon, Stuckey are staying and Rip is packing his bags.

10. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Oh I agree with you there.

If Stuckey can continue to improve at the point, then I'd be all for keeping that as a three guard lineup. But everything is just so disorganized when he are trying to divide 96 minutes with 4 guards.

I will just say that I really hate those 3 guard lineups that Kuester runs a lot with Bynum, Gordon and Stuck. It just doesn't work, having them all on the floor at the same time. We really compromise our defense and one player is usually left out of the plays in that lineup (always Gordon or Stuck since Bynum rarely plays off the ball).

11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

the other thing is that Stuckey has Prince, Jerebko, and Ben Wallace behind him.

Bynum has been having some extreme small ball on the court with him. Maxiell has been the center for a lot of it.

There's no question that Stuckey is going to be a better defender on many guards than Bynum just because of size and strength. Bynum has to make up for it by being pesky and quick. The ankle sprains will hurt that for sure.

12. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

lol

Those days where Prince was considered an "elite" defender have looooooong since passed.

Anyway, Stuckey has been a part of the three guard lineups himself (Bynum,Stuckey, Gordon) and those lineups often require him to battle and fight for position against much bigger players (small forwards) than him. You don't think that takes it's toll on him physically?

Of course, for Bynum there are very few guards as small as him, so he's usually at a disadvantage height and weight wise, no matter what lineup they play.

13. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

And there's no reason for that lineup. If you have Will Bynum at the point, why wouldn't you want to put him out there with another shooter who can spread the floor (Daye or Summers), this is becoming so stupid it isn't even funny.

14. BillLaimbeer

I'd say this is more of a Joe Dumars issue than a Kuester issue. The problem is that 4 of the 5 top scorers on the team are guards. The only way to get these guys enough minutes is to play at least a few minutes of small ball (3-guard).

15. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

So no one finds it odd that in a starting lineup that features a 35, 31 and 29-30 year old that Stuckey more often is the 1st player subbed for?

I can't remember his name, but I seem to recall an old, out of shape PF/C that played here who regularly played the first 15 minutes or so of the game and then returned with 5 minutes to go in the half. (And this was after 1000 games in the L.)

It just seems like a lot of things need to align for Stuckey to flourish.

16. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Let not a day go by without a veiled reference to Sheed.

17. Brap

Brap Starter

The season is lost. There's no reason for Kuester not to experiment with all sorts of lineups. (That's a defense for what he's doing now). Plus we need to showcase some of the veterans. No doubt the rookies will get more burn as time goes along.

18. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

I fixed the above for you.

19. BillLaimbeer

Assists per 48 minutes:

Bynum : 7.8
    Stuckey: 6.3

20. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

I know but how many jump shots does Wil take in a game without one pass?? He drives me nuts when he walks the ball up and takes the shot without the ball ever leaving his hands.

That is different then having fewer assists. It's a mentality thing.