vs Portland Trailblazers Saturday January 23 7:30 pm

Discussion in 'January 2010' started by roscoe36, Nov 3, 2009.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Detroit Pistons vs Portland Trailblazers

Saturday January 23

7:30 pm

Local TV: FS Detroit Plus

Nat'l TV:

Radio: 98.7 WVMV

2. Ryder

Ryder First Round Draft Pick

I think I'll stay up for this one, very intriguing match-up. Portland may be the only team in the NBA with more injuries than the Pistons, this season. So many questions...

Will Kuester continue to start Tay after their conflict last night?
    If so, will Prince continue his horrid form, or lack thereof ?
    "W or L"? as in "mediocrity or John Wall"?

3. roscoe36

I'm excited to watch this one. Ordered some food in, and I'm ready to have a good time.

4. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

I won't be able to watch this great win.

5. roscoe36

6. roscoe36

Steve Blake > Stuckey? lol

7. Ryder

Ryder First Round Draft Pick

Great job by Kuester to get Prince back in the game, when the game was on the line so that the Pistons could get the L.
    Sad to say this, but that was a stupid foul by Big Ben at the end.

Pistons did get 2 wide open treys to tie the game, but of course CV and Stuck missed them.
    Despite Prince and Ben's sloppy plays at the end, Pistons probably would have won this if Gordon was the one taking those 3 pointers.

8. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Yeah, generally speaking, all big losses have come against of good 3pt shooting teams. Pistons frontcourt is too weak to make up opponent's treys.

And there is nobody to blame, except for injury bug (bengo, where are you)

9. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Well, Kuester managed to get his team to play some defense in the 2nd half, and Portland was forced to come up with quite a few low percentage makes to come away with the win. Who knows, maybe Kuester can get his team to play defense for a whole game next time?

Rip has his shot back, and he had 9 assists to go with 25 points. Tay is not quite ready to play yet. The backup points we used, Atkins and Daye, were both very quickly negative very quickly. Wednesday, supposedly, we are getting Bynum back. Some may think this is good news, but last time Bynum came back Kuester chose to use that as an excuse to play a lot of small ball. For those who hold out hope that a player returning will actually be used to help the team, you just ain't been paying attention to how bad Kuester coaches. Won't happen.

Daye and Tay both played a bit of shooting guard. But Kuester was forced into this by Atkins not being able to play that much due to his bruised sternum. With Bynum coming back, you might as well forget Daye is on the team. And watch, Prince will play more power forward going forward vs. shooting guard.

Stuckey was marvelous getting to the hoop, either scoring it, making some free throws, or just getting it up on the rim for the next guy to slam back the bound. But what happened in crunch time. I certainly did not see enough of Stuckey going to the hoop in crunch time.

JMAX and Ben just played D. CV had an underaverage game. No Gordon. No Kwame. No Summers.

Tay played too much in this one. JJ of course should still be starting until Tay is actually ready to play near 100%. Nice to see JJ knock down that crucial 3 as part of our comeback in the 3rd quarter. We had been down 18 I think and that 3 tied it, right?

It was a ton of fun to watch the comeback. It seemed we were just a bucket away at anytime in crunch time from getting this win. So close. Just makes it hurt more.

Wilcox looked a bit better out there. Maybe good enough to be playing. He got lots of boards and made some shots.

I see a lot of speculation about the Pistons tanking the season. I certainly hope there is no truth to it. Kuester just has to step up his coaching, in my opinion, and this team can make the playoffs and make some noise in the playoffs. Part of that is playing his young, hungry players. Make the vets know they got competition.

10. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

dream on, first no playoffs and second, Pistons has no weapons against of big lineups vs Bos, Cle, Orl and Tor anyway. And all those teams also have good 3pt shooters, an area where Pistons is also miserable.

11. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Random thoughts...
    * Is Kwame's stay on this team officially done?
    * Aldrich normally goes off on the Pistons... Frankie from Portland would always talk about how he would be "all or nothing" (must be a Portland thing like Sheed)
    * Fernandez = the league's new floppinest player
    * I don't care what N.E.1 says I like a PG that can bull his way for an easy bucket... ala Vinny
    * Q was coaching his arse off tonight... luved the fight coming outta halftime... adjustments on the P&R defense and recognizing when to help and when to stick.
    * Interesting lineup... Tay, CV, Max, Wilcox, Stuckey... it seemed to work
    * I would love to see Daye as a SG (like Durant)... who's gonna stop him?
    * A good loss... the ping pong Gods thank the effort and the results.... on draft night this game will be a forgotten benefit...no Darko jokes :^)
    * So CV does have a lil fight in him?
    * Rip is playing his way into a nice trade... Tay is going the other way... he's still getting back into the groove... first couple games are a Mulligan... just gotta keep these guys healthy til 2/18
    * Lee is right... Jmax really does give solid effort on defense... sometimes he looks like a young Ben guarding two guys.
    * Talent is important... so is continuity... not sure what the core is but you can't go replacing the coach every year... b4 we judge coach Q we need to see what he can do with a consistent lineup and a chance to develop the options.

12. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yeah Pistons were poised to win the game with just a simple drive to the hoop by either Rip or Stuckey, but as Ryder said, Q put Tay back in there to milk the clock, throw away a pass or just be in to assure that a game he plays in winds up in a loss like the previous 9 games he has played in. Pistons now 1-10 with Tay on the court.

if we are showcasing him, his stock is dropping in every game he plays in. Who [strike]needs[/strike] wants him now. six pts, 3 Brds and the key turnover of the game. Plus how many of those six three pointers made by Martell Webster were against him??? he could not keep up with Rudy Fernandez either who just came back from an extended injury too, but he made a living at the FT line 10-10 and scored 19 pts...oh yeah..Daye played just over 4 minutes compared to Tay's 32 unproductive minutes....

Is Andre Miller still unhappy and looking to be traded?? 13 assists to go with Blake's 10 assists as they out dimed our whole team..(19). We could sure use him to run our offense....but that would mean Rip is expendable..

I mean they beat us with their best player Brandon Roy on the shelf...yeah it was close in the end, but they were rolling us in the first half as once again we came out of the blocks with no hustle or purpose and had to fight our way back in the game in the second expending all that energy.

What's up with Stuckey and Villanueva?? No consistency from game to game. In the Celtic game they combine for 46 pts, the last game about 22 pts and tonights game 37 pts. Then they both missed 3 pointers tonight....but it should not gave got down to that anyway...

Should I mention the 9 FT's we missed ..or the 17 three pointers we missed??

Rip had 25 pts and 9 assists.. and only two turnovers....good game but no cigar.

John Wall had 16 pts and 7 assists today.....ooops, that was for Kentucky as they beat Arkansas 101-70...but I wanted to see how his name reads in Piston summaries if they keep playing Tay. :) Of course it may be tight as the 3-33 Nets are losing tonight by 35 to the Jazz as they want to make sure they still get the best shot at Wall...

13. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

I thought that the Pistons would have 3 point shooting this year. Gordon is out. CV is just not a very good three point shooter. He is skilled enough but really hasn't been coached. He throws up an assortment of showboat shots but what the Pistons need from him is the spot up three and basic turn arounds in the post for variety. He cannot be counted on to hit the three. And his runner's turn easier shots into tough ones. Please practice this summer.

Same with Stuckey. People worry about his point guard skills. I don't. I want him to get a shot. He will not get to the next level without a shot. The NBA bigs are too good to drive at them continually and then always to the right. Again, he found himself open at the end for a three only to miss again. Actually, if he could hit his twos, he would be a very good player.

Rip is being showcased. Good. A lot of the contenders could really use his scoring. A three way trade is in order.

Tay needs to play into shape. He also needs to be showcased for a trade.

It is too bad about Ben's foul. He was just a bit overagressive. But I am not sure that I really want the Pistons to win at this point--hate to say. The playoffs seem out of reach. A top five pick would be very good. An 8th to 12th pick more like fool's gold looking back over the draft these last several years.

14. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Perhaps M. Curry put a #12 curse on Tay as he was shown the door. His ultimate and final revenge as his plan had finally come to fruition.

15. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

If you're in last place, you don't get extra ping-pong balls for margin of suckiness.

16. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

How long you known me? My name is KGREG not N.E.1
    And give me the guy that can run an offense, get 10 asts, zero turnovers, get everyone involved, make the correct basketball play and feed the hot hand while being an extension of the coach on the floor.

Hey that looks like fun, let me try; Evan Turner had 18pts 11 rebs and 4 asts, COOL!! here let me do another one, Wes Johnson Had 22 pts and 15 rebs

Way to stay focused fellas

Last thought, is there any question who the better SF is on this team RIGHT NOW?

17. Menace

Menace Bench Warmer

Tbh i am getting a bit tired about the excitement of the big comeback we make at the end of games while we put ourselves into big holes in the first half.

This game was lost because of a poor perfomance at the start, just like many other games we lost this year.
    If this team wants to play in the playoffs then they need to change their attitude.

18. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

yeah, so far speaking of attitude, 3 players show it constantly: Bigben, JJ and Rip( Rip IS NOT showcased, he IS warrior), rest of the team...you never know whether for them sun rises from west or from east.

19. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

When you're right... you're right.
    I do like the physical advantages of Stuckey (see Rose)... he does indeed need to be a better facilitator... in todays game this also can be a shared responsibility.
    As it stands now Stuckey is one of our most efficient scoring options.... sad that we can't count on a better conversion rate from our bigs.

20. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

What a weak pass at the end from the corpse of Tayshaun Prince. Total half azzed effort by TP.

In the 3rd Rip fed JJ for that huge 3...Portland calls a timeout and Kuester is shaking everyon'e hand as they come to the bench. He holds out his hand for Rip and Rip pulls his hand back. It was like Stuart from the MadTV skit. Dooonnn't touch me!

The near brawl was interesting...I hate floppers like Fernandez.