vs Phoenix Suns Saturday January 22 7:30 pm

Discussion in 'January 2011' started by roscoe36, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I will add this: Daye played a ton of solid, solid, defense, using that height and length of his to full advantage. It really helped shore up our perimeter D in that 4th quarter. And Tay was challenging shots full force all game long. Bravery award has to go to Daye for making that 2 that put us up one after having missed a couple of shots. And Kudos to Kuester for leaving Daye out there to the end.

2. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Looks like Kuester knows what he is doing with Bynum.... :pound:

3. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Great game relay post, thank you guys.

Didn't check the sechedule and miss the game for I never have thought they had to play seven games in 9 days.

4. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I won't admit that. However, I always do hope he will get back to where he was early last season. In this game, it looked like his wheels, whatever is wrong them, got loosened up for that 2nd half. He was pretty horrid in the first half with his footwork.

5. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Q gets credit tonight for going with his gut and leaving the guys out on the floor for the rest of the game instead bringing the whole starting crew back in there.
    Tay has been this seasons glue and Ben after sitting out a few games had renewed energy in the 4th qtr.

Going with Bynum and Gordon instead of Bynum Stuckey was a good move only because he knew Gordon was not going force anything like Stuck would have done and we have see Stuckey in action in the 4th qtr.

6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Didn't get to see this one, but it looks like vintage Detroit bball from the summaries I'm reading. Ben with 7 boards off the bench... must have helped on D.

Much needed win.

7. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

We ended up splitting a set of back to backs. The fact we got blown out Friday night might have helped to keep us fresh for this win. And Tay is the only guy who played a lot of minutes tonight. Large rotation, good result.

Ben Wallace was back, and made many good defensive plays for us. JMAX played just a little, contributed a bit of good D, but he was in there with Ben Wallace and that does not bode well for our offense. Still, good to see both these guys back in there fighting for us.

Still no Rip, and no word if he will play for us yet or be traded.

The five guys who ended up winning this for us, giving up just four points for most of the 4th quarter and scoring plenty: Bynum, Gordon, Daye, Tay, Ben Wallace. Note though, Stuckey started with this group, and Tay came in later in the quarter.

Daye was a whirlwind on D, helping to shore up our perimeter defense, which had been at times in this game totally unacceptable. And Daye hit several shots in this game, including the one that put us up 1 right there at the end of the game.

There was some unneeded drama at the end, with Stuckey coming in for a defensive play with us up 3, and committing a dead ball foul by pulling an opposing players jearsey. Nash made the free throw, and now Phoenix just needed a 2 to tie it up. But they missed. Bynum ended up putting the game away by making a pair or free throws to put us up 4 with just 3 seconds to play. And Bynum got to make those free throws because he got the key rebound needed at the time. Darn good second half for Bynum. (Not so great a first half, but his D really picked up in the 2nd half.)One one key score, Bynum faked a drive in on Nash, and pulled up for the two.

Tay was our scoring hero, and pulled down 13 rebounds to go with his 17 points. But just as importantly, Tay was challenging shots with everything he had all game long.

Monroe did just fine, again showing a knack for getting offensive rebound putbacks. (But lax here and there as far as stepping up to shooters.)Monroe made one fairly long outside shot.

Gordon did nothing special, but he was clicking with that 4th quarter group on playing D, and you know his presence definitely helps spread the floor - and this case, often left Daye open who nailed some shots. The gutsiest of Dayes shots, a made 2 which put us up 1 after he had just missed a couple.

TMAC played great as a point, getting that ball to the basket by passing or dribbling. He made one three, always nice to see. Been a while though since TMAC took over any stretch of a game with his outside shooting. I would like to see that, as our outside shooting from our starting group is very lacking. Contrast that to the group that won the game for us, with Gordon and Daye both quite capable from outside.(And Tay made his share in this one.)

Stuckey had a bad day to an extent.(Bad shooting night) However, he did set the right tone out the gate by crashing inside. Inside game wins it.

Wilcox? On the invisible side. He did make the one fade-a-way bucket from a post up.

Bynum got it go by busting inside a couple of times. Then he missed the next two like that, but Tay got the bound the one time. Later, the burning of Nash. That was sweet. I was dogging on Bynum in the first half a lot - but he was a changed man in that 2nd half. Maybe whatever is possibly ailing his feet loosened up.

Gee, how many guys did play: Stuckey, TMAC, Tay, Monroe, Wilcox, Bynum, Gordon, Daye, JMAX, Ben Wallace. Ten guys. Really a 9 man rotation since JMAX only played 4 minutes. Summers and Rip were the other two dressed. CV was out yet with a sprained ankle, I am guessing day to day though they did not say actually. (basing this on the fact he did continue to play after spraining it.)Maybe the end of this month we will see White play, or wait, I think I heard they are targeting after the all-star break for that. JJ, no plans to play him this season - although he is trying to beat the odds and get back before the end of the season.(Doubtful, cause even after the surgery is all healed, the reconditioning of the leg is complicated and lengthy.)

Great win, lets hope for some losses by the teams ahead of us, or along side us in the playoff hunt.

GO PISTONS!!!!!

8. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

hitting .350 as a team and still winning...awesome

9. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I still can't believe that happened. Will Bynum made Nashy look old.

Efficient Rod Stuckey is shooting 11-41 with 6 assists and 6 boards over his last 3 games. Resigning him for anything more than 4-5 million and a few years max will kill this franchise.

Vince Carter finally didn't kill the Pistons this year.

Monroe looked a little(lot) haggard out there. He has played a ton of minutes this month and still did a few nice things.

10. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I still say keep starting Stuckey at the 2, Gordon remains an Ace in the hole. STuckey gets ZERO love from the refs on his collisions, it's starting to get very irritating from both sides, Stuckey for insane continued collisions even when he's not getting the whistle and the fact that the refs are swallowing the whistle, it's almost as if STuckey stole someone's wife and they're taking revenge out on him.

11. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Great win! Bynum was a monster the second half, they even switched away Nash (!) from the point for a while and used him solely as a shooter because Will The Thrill was harassing him big time. Creds to Q for acting by not acting when he kept the hot bench in til the end.

The team looks alot better now compared to the awful rotations in the beginning. With the improvements of Wilcox, T-Mac and GM and Stuck moved to the 2 both the starting unit and the bench looks decent. I still can't decide if I want the team to make the PO or tank but I have to admit it would be fun to watch them 4-5 games more this season. I think it's leaning towards GO PLAY OFF!

12. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

13. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

No matter how old and washout a lot of people claimed that Big Ben is, he is still the best pick and roll defender on our team.

If only Bynum plays D like that every game, I don't mind giving him 20 minutes as back up PG every game. He was one of the reason we lost to the Nets, he made it up this game.

GREAT COMEBACK WIN.

14. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

agreed here...:)

15. Ernie the Slow Adult

Three-pointers: Will Bynum and Ben Wallace's defensive intensity key Detroit Pistons' comeback | MLive.com

Stuckey is the only guy in the L that regularly does this. That is why he does not get the same calls as guys who get hit while trying to avoid people.

The Pistons also struggled moving the ball for 3 quarters last night because Stuckey was obsessed with taking Nash 1 on 1. That is not hating.

16. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Stuckey has played horribly the last 3 games.... but he was pretty good his previous 3-4 games before that. Let's see what happens the rest of the year before jumping to the conclusion that he's garbage. I don't think Stuckey will have a worse three game stretch than what he just had.

17. Ernie the Slow Adult

My point is how good is his "pretty good"? We probably disagree here, but I don't think it is that good. (Not to diminish the 5 and 6 point wins over Toronto and Sacto)

18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It is nice to read someone who knows the Pistons, has definite opinions, backs them up with stats when appropriate, and doesn't seem censored.

Usually what we get are uncensored national writers who don't know much about the team and don't care, or local writers who fear burning bridges with the players and organization.

Also, I like that he responds to readers in the comments section.

19. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Great write-up!! I agreed and pointed out too that we had slowed the game to a crawl in the 3rd and were forcing up shots with 3 seconds on the clock.

Better passing and points off TO's due to blanket defense helped them score more points in the 4th than they had scored in the previous 11 quarters dating back to the 27 they scored in the 4th vs Dallas on MLK day.

They have averaged 77 pts a game the last three games and that's not going to get a W vs the likes of their next three opponents in Orlando, Denver and Miami. Hopefully CV's ankle is better by at least Wednesday as they do need his three ball offense.

20. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Holding the Suns to just 4 points for the bulk of the 4th quarter - by strong defensive rotation - is not hardly possible with CV in the game. Rotating on defense his main weakness. Are you sure he would actually help? That stagnant O in the 3rd quarter had little to do with CV playing or not, as he is not a starter at the moment. Now, the problem was something CV could possibly help with though - no outside shooters really in that starting unit. TMAC is rusty compared to his old self. Tay has a good outside shooting game from deep on occasion only. Stuckey, forget it. Monroe hit one outside shot, but you know that is not his game. Wilcox can hit shorter jumpers. So Phoenix just packed it in on us, making the idea of Stuckey driving pretty much ludicrous.

I say we have to spread out their defense, while Stuckey is in with a point guard to get him the ball at the right time. Unfortunately, this limits things a bit. Hmm, Stuckey and TMAC have to be paired up, obviously - but then you need as many strong outside shooters as you can get to surround them. Daye could be moved to the starting unit, with Tay coming off the bench. Summers could be our power forward, giving us another good 3 point shooter who can also defend the position well - and rotate on defense with the best. Lastly, a center. Well, by definition, your center is going to somewhere near the hoop. But you got to have someone with some range, and since Summers does not do rebounding well, it can't be JMAX. Ben Wallace has no range. Wilcox and Monroe look like a fit here. I say go with youth to start, and choose Monroe.

Ok, so you got Stuckey, TMAC, and Daye manning the 1,2,3. Summers and Monroe for the bigs.

Bench becomes: Bynum, Gordon, Tay, Wilcox, Ben Wallace.

JMAX and CV both play spot minutes, JMAX for D, CV for O, as needed.