vs Oklahoma City Thunder Friday October 29 8:00 pm

Discussion in 'October 2010' started by roscoe36, Oct 19, 2010.

1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

He has a very active shooting arm, I'll give him that.

2. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Just mentioning Griffin in the same sentence as a Pistons PF actually makes me drewl. I wonder what a this guy could do to this team with his spirit.

Edit; The real Griffin this time.

3. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

He probably would've received a DNP-CD against NJ so Maxiell can get his minutes.

4. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

In the words of CJ - you are a good person.

5. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

SuuuuuuuuNaaaap!!!!

6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

7. Pistons0809

Pistons0809 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

"Wow... wow" - Greg Kelser

8. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Just looking at the numbers...not baaaaaad. Just surrendered too many free throws.

9. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

no D, outrebounded horribly, relied heavily on hot BG and Stuckey and rip is an odd man out.

if this policy continiues - try to win via high octane games - then this season will be veeery veeery long.

10. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Great comeback by the Pistons, but once again...a losing team will lose these type of games....

Nice game by Bengo with 32 pts and what looked like his only and game winning assist...

Another so-so defensive effort by CV who was the hero for about 30 seconds...and had the Budweiser play of the game and would have certainly got a 3 second ESPN highlight shout out in between the Miami hype...

Jeff Green gets literally all the way to the hoop for a long layup as Max could not stop him....(I hope we didn't have a foul to give that got wasted)

Looks like we need to go back to the drawing board on the Daye the 4 experiment ....start Monroe and then Bring in Daye off the bench....he might be trying to hard starting. (2-11 shooting)..

11. Brap

Brap Starter

We have no choice to play that way. Without JJ, the only halfway decent interior defender is Ben Wallace. Maxiell is a journeyman player in this league. Daye's length gives him a chance to impact defensively in the paint - but he's not strong enough or experienced enough yet to be counted on.

If we had JJ on that play, Green doesn't score.

In the meantime, we're going to have to enjoy watching Stuckey (who's playing great BB - man he looks good out there), Gordon's popcorn jumper and great great offensive talent, CV knocking down shots, Daye (who's going to be an excellent player), and wait for JJ to get back and Monroe to get in there and Joe D to make a trade for a big man so we have a freaking chance to rebound on any particular play.

12. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

This team had a lot of problems tonight, a lot stemming from Daye starting at power forward. There is simply no reason for this, and it should end as soon as possible. Already, you can see signs of Tay's play and Daye's play deteriorating - as expected from playing out of position.

Still, we managed to make a game of this one. Man did I want to see this in the win column. Gordon knocked down 31 points, in 31 minutes, at one point late in the game. Stuckey was relentless going inside, and yes, at least once he had his head down and was going to go inside at any cost. But he also dished a bunch of assists this game. Love to see learning. And those drives almost always lead to a score for us, lots of that spectacular looking by Stuckey.

Speaking of learning, we almost won this one down the stretch. By simply not going to small ball. Much better. Just possibly, a sign of learning by Kuester. Now, if can just notice that Daye is no power forward.

We did a use a bit of small ball in the game. Not a whole lot. We did not do bad out there with Rip, Stuck, and Gordon out there. Was not pretty either, but we scored enough to make it work. And we only used this gimmick for a short spell - and certainly not in crunch time.

TMAC played in the 1st half only, and we did well with him basically playing as our point guard. I know they are really watching his minutes.

We had a lot of turns tonight, and basically, without all those turns and the points the Thunder got from them, very good chance we win this one. Of note, it did not seem to matter if Stuckey was in the game or not as far as how good we did. Ball handling or otherwise.

TMAC still has not scored a point for us this season, but already you can see how valuable he could be. I sure hope he does come back 100% this season. That would be awesome.

Stuckey truly put on a show. He proved he could hit his outside shots, and blew by Westbrook at will when Westbrook came out to check him.

Gordon had a nice mixture of outside shots and going inside. I do like his offensive game a lot, and he creates his own shots. More learning. Rip did not play down the stretch. They went with the hot hands, Gordo and Stuck, and stayed big - Tay, CV, JMAX.

CV was almost the hero. So close. Darn. With no timeouts, I guess they could not get Gordon off the floor for that last defensive play. We stopped what they wanted to do, but darn, the guy hit a nice shot on us. (Greene sp)

I saw no sign JMAX was hobbled any tonight. That's good. Kuester is using him the right minutes. And he is not overplaying Ben Wallace either.

To the bad, still not a moment this season of Daye playing any shooting guard nor small forward where he can use all that height to his advantage.

I know some people really like Bynum, but hey, although his footwork is better than Gordon's by far, he is a lot shorter. Height does matter too as far as NBA defense. And look at how Gordon can score. Trying to fit all four of Gordon, Stuck, Rip, and Bynum with major minutes just means a lot of small ball. Drop Bynum right out of the rotation, and add in some of Monroe playing. Give some minutes to Daye at shooting guard and small forward - and no more small ball non-sense.

Got to feel good about even being this close in the game vs. the Thunder, a top NBA team by all accounts. Until toward the very end, this team hit free throw after free throw seemingly without a miss.

By going to a logical rotation, with no small ball, this team can learn to play together - and reduce the turns. Yes, we only had 6 the first game - against a very poor team. Look, we should have beaten NJ, and if Kuester had enough sense to make the changes he did tonight, that would have been a win. And tonight, again, we could have had a win by not using small ball at all - including starting Daye at PF. Kuester is just not coaching quite a good enough game to actually get a win. But just maybe, he will continue learning.

Rip did fine for the game. Again, Tay looked beat already this early in the season. Daye missed a bunch of shots before finally making a couple of 3's in the 2nd half. Ben was his usual rebound machine self. CV, in comparison to Gordon, does not look that bad on defense. Which is not saying much. At least he is hitting those 3's early in the season so far.

JMAX mostly just played the D. I think I mentioned everyone. Summers did make a cameo appearance in this one, leaving Monroe as the only DNP.

13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

2 games in a row it looked like we hit a 3 point dagger to ice the game... but weak D lost them both.

To be honest, CV does look like a better athlete this year. Thinner, a little quicker, and more definition in the arms.

Great to see the vintage Ben Gordon. This is the guy Joe was after.

I'm really not happy that we can't see our big man draft pick play... again. Let's see how bad he is first. We have a huge gaping hole in our rotation at his position and he's not good enough to fill it?

14. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Not Tonight

Daye at the PF spot is effecting his game on the offensive end, his shot is off and his (fragile) confidence is shaken. But I must admit there are some good things happening: Defensively Daye at the PF hasn't been completely awful. AD and CV at the PF spots are opening up tons of driving space for the guards, the floor spacing is great and the lane is often left WIDE OPEN!! But teams are killing us when they put him and CV in the pick and roll, both are utterly horrible at defending it.

Charlie Villanueva wasn't awful tonight, real good 1st half and he really came through in the clutch, the three was nice but I was more impressed with the 2 FT's he hit late after taking a good whacking across the face.

Rodney Stuckey played an AMAZING GAME!!!! Maybe the best of his career, I'm still in shock. His offensive efficiency was off the charts, he had 9 asts (thanks to a hot shooting Ben Gordon) and he made some excellent decisions tonight, he only had about 2 or 3 plays that made me yell at the TV, I'm practically crying tears of joy. Hopefully this can continue and I'll be more than happy to fire up the grill for some BBQ'd Crow.

Rip was a turnover machine but I credit Q for benching him and going with Gordo, Ben Gordon was LIGHTS OUT fantastic, simply an amazing offensive performance. Tay and Rip made Durant get his 30 on 9/24 shooting, but OKC is a team that lives at the FT line.

Q coached a decent game tonight, he had one mistake IMO, late in the game after CV hit those 2 ft's, I felt he should have subbed BenW for CV, he didn't, and sure enough on that defensive possession Ibaka got an offensive rebound because CV was ball watching instead of boxing out his man, Ben would have got that rebound! But then OKC probably would have fouled him anyway......

15. fwoompf

fwoompf First Round Draft Pick

For real. Has Que commented on this at all, or is he maybe injured and no one is talking about it? I haven't watched any postgame shows so I haven't seen any coach interviews.

16. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Who's minutes are you going to take? Wallace's or Maxiel's? He doesn't deserve to get any of Max's minutes, he can't defend far enough out from the hoop to play the PF spot, and he's too weak to bang like Ben and Max are doing. I want to see him play too, but HE-JUST-ISN'T-GOOD-ENOUGH ........................................................ right now, he'll get there, if we're lucky he'll acclimate himself through the course of the season. We could very easily be 2-0 right now, contrary to popular belief this team does not suck. In all honesty if Max and/or Ben were 2-3 inches taller we'd be a real force.

17. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

The game highlighted the Pistons lack of quality bigs. We finish the game with 37 year old Ben and short JMax. Neither would get quality minutes on most NBA teams. The Pistons simply are outmanned every night under the basket. No big body to clog up the middle. No tall player to snatch key rebounds. It was glaring.

The trades for Gordon and even CV were not the problem. CV needs to work off of a big center. He is what he is and that three is what he can do. The Pistons deteriorated rapidly as Sheed aged, Ben was gone and now old.

Rip, especially, and Tay would be better suited in a trade. Rip does not fit well in the offense and is a redundant player. Stuckey is indeed getting better. Stuckey, Gordon and CV would light it up playing off a center most nights. I don't think the team missed Bynum who should only be a situational player. JJ was really missed.

The team need bigs desperately. No quality big and the wins will be hard to get. No, I don't give the Thunder much credit. They were vastly overrated last year. They are a middle of the road team, I imagine. Green would not have been able to drive to the hoop like that against most NBA teams. He would have been stuffed.

18. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Brap, it is striking how limited our big play is. Jmax and Ben can't shoot, can't free throw, and only Ben can be counted on to secure a board but he is long past his prime. No JJ. Right, with JJ the Pistons win both games. The NBA is brutal. If you don't have a big man in the middle most teams will just bully you. I mean really, Green would have gotten nothing against most teams. Too bad. Gordon showed his real hand. CV playing with a real center is actually a weapon. And even Stuckey looks like a problem for teams to handle.

19. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Oh I almost forgot the best part, in the post game player interviews Eli says to Stuckey, "Westbrook tonight, you gotta get readY for Derrick Rose tomorrow, you don't get a night off do you"
    Stuckey replies, "Naw I don't, but that's why I love this game," and here's the best part - he then says, "But they gotta get ready for me too!"
    YES YES YES, He may just be getting it!!!!

Also Bengo said he took it upon himself to be more aggressive tonight and that that's how he's going to have to start playing night in and night out. I think Bengo and Stuckey are taking the proverbial torch from Rip and Tayshaun.

20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I don't care who's minutes. Give him Ben's, Daye's, Maxiell's, Prince's. It doesn't matter. If he's not good enough to play at all for one of the bottom 10 teams in the NBA... and a team without an offensive big man, then he was a bad pick.

If he's temporarily bad and just needs time to ripen, then stick him in there and let him start learning. It's not like he's going to cost us a playoff spot and a shot at a championship.

And I understand that it's entirely possible that he'd look terrible on the court right now.