vs New York Knicks Sunday November 28 1:30 pm

Discussion in 'November 2010' started by roscoe36, Oct 19, 2010.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

2. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Early game today, people. Don't forget!

Go Pistons!

3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

4. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Double OT...we may need a Podcast tonight Low, if the Pistons hang on too win..where are you

5. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

What is the record for triples given up in an overtime period?

6. copper

copper Bench Warmer

unreal, what did NY shoot? 40 3s for the game...

7. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Blargh. Double overtime. Tough loss. Amare was unstoppable in the first half and it was raining threes in the second and OT.

Interesting change by Q during the half, JMax started the game but Stuck-Rip-TMac-Tay-Wallace started the 3rd and Bynum-Bengo-Daye-CAS-GM off the bench.

8. FreshPrince22

Pretty funny that in our last 2 losses we've gone small down the stretch and have given up a ton of offensive boards at the worst possible times.

I don't get why coaches think small ball wins games? I don't care how much firepower you think you've got out there. If you can't rebound, you can't win late in games.

9. Brap

Brap Starter

Our best rebounder now, aside from Ben Wallace is Monroe. Monroe doesn't play down the stretch, and Ben Wallace just isn't Ben from the championship level days. We'll lose way more than our fair share of close contests until Monroe breaks through and we add other big people so we can control the paint.

Also, can we please get real. We will win way fewer than our fair share of games if Tay Prince is our go-to scorer down the stretch. Tay's a nice glue guy for a great team, but he is, IMO the single very worst go-to guy on any team in the NBA.

Ben Gordon got up 3 shots today. That's just sickeningly stupid. If he isn't going to be used as a shooter, we might as well play someone else. Of course, if we decided to prioritize using him as a shotmaker, that would be o.k. SINCE HE'S JUST ABOUT THE BEST SHOOTER/SHOTMAKER IN THE GAME TODAY. (Jeesh. It just drives me nuts to be a fan of a team where a Gordon plays second fiddle (third or 4th or 5th fiddle, actually) to an ordinary player like Tay.

10. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Stuckey completely disappeared in the last 3 periods of this game.

Does this dude have a single clutch bone in his body? He wanted nothing to do with the ball in the 4th quarter and OT periods of this game. Thoroughly disgusted with him, for that reason alone.

11. LA Dre

Going small ball only helps when the small guys are given the rock to shoot. I think Gordon only took one shot in the OT the three he made when it was already over. He took only 4 shots despite playing 29 mins where as Bynun took 7 in only half that time. Some how or another, we are not getting what we should out of Gordon when he comes off the bench and when he is paired with Bynum.

Anybody think not pressing the issue when Feltons agent said he was interested in coming to the Pistons this sumer?? This season he averages 17.8 and 7.8 and his 3 pt shooting average his higher than Stuckey and Bynum. Today he had 23 pts, 11 dimes was perfect at the line, but took way to many 3 pts...still I would have loved for him to be our starting pg....and probably Joe does too now.. I hate to pinpoint one play in any loss, but I am thinking this game could have been won in regulation by the Pistons if they had played smart ball down the stretch...case in point there was 2 min span where Stuckey through a bad pass out of bounds and was blocked by Chandler and Stoudemire on consecutive plays. Prince bailed him out by making several buckets in the last 3 mins, but he didn't want to pass either......

Speaking of Stuckey, he missed the lone FT for the Pistons tonight...the FT that probably would have won it for the Pistons 100-99:sssh:

The Knicks took 38 three pointers...I know it happens, but there is no way a team should let another team get off that many threes. Bottom line with Amare down low and teams forced to double him, their three ball shooters had open season on the Piston defenders....

....which means that we have not threat down low who is even closed to Amare..as our centers in Ben and Max finished with 6 pts 8 brds, compared to Amar'es 37 and 15... And it will be that way for the Pistons until [STRIKE]we[/STRIKE] Joe can trade Rip and Max for somebody that Ben can back up.

12. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

How can you say that 2T4Y, he took it to the hole 2 straight times but got nothing. He got in close but made the wrong shot/glass.
    ---------------------
    Did I see BBeen miss a dunk by slamming it over the far side of the rim ? !
    ----------------------
    NY was only 14 of 37 from downtown. We were 4 of 11. still that's 30 more pts for NY. They were not afraid to bomb and we couldn't relax.
    -----------------------
    Daye was icy. maybe because he's played 3min. the last 4 games.
    -----------------------
    Note: I did see GM leave his feet for a bunny board.

13. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

The only shots he took in the final periods, were terrible shots where he took on the entire team and got his shot packed. Otherwise, he was just passing off to Prince/Hamilton and standing around doing nothing in those final three periods. He played awful.

14. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

He tried to get his team envolved ?
    He scored almost 30.
    maybe he was trying to kept from fainting.

15. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Dre, don't you think that this team's record speaks for itself. It looks like to me that this is about where they are at if you look at NBA rosters. That is why I take these losses in stride and am surprised at wins other than against a very few teams.

Dre, what bothers me is that there is not a lot to build on here. Maybe when JJ is back and with Monroe's development and Daye getting stronger but that is maybe and probably two years from now. That and there is no point guard. Stuckey is a good player but he is not a point guard and not a good enough shooter for the two in my opinion. Maybe he is a better point guard than appears as he has no bigs to work off of.

16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I missed this game. Who was guarding Amare?

Did Maxiell get injured? Why did he start and only play 7 minutes?

Looks like a good game from TMac. And Prince was nearing a triple double with 31 points.

Stuckey and Prince combined for 60 points without attempting a single 3 pointer. I'd be surprised if 2 non bigs have done that in the last 10 years.

17. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Some good stuff.

Some real bad stuff. Coaching. Playing small ball. Ben Wallace ended up with 40 minutes. We could not get a defensive board to save out lives.

More bad. No coaching. The coach could not see, for pure stubborness, that having too small a set of players in meant that everyone had to help inside against Stoudemire - leaving the perimeter open. So open, yep, they could have ordered pizza, taken their time eating it, and still had time to get their shot off before any Piston showed up anywhere near the picnic.

Ok, there was some good stuff too. But overshadowed by non-sense of playing small ball. Why do us fans all know small ball is stupid? We have seen the last few coaches try it now, with disastrous results each time. With the same people for the most part mind you. You would think someone would clue him in, though I doubt he listens to anyone.

So, what was good? One, yes, Tay scored a ton of points - and the team kept finding ways to feed the hot hand. In all, our offense ran quite well, lots of assists, lots of sharing the ball. Sure, Stuckey took some ill advised shots. But you got to take some ill advised shots to keep the other team's eye on you. Hey, for the game Stuckey was absolutely one of the bright spots. He scored plenty at the line - and made a ton of outside shots in control. Note, Tay was the hot hand at the end of reg and the 1st OT - and he was creating his own shots. That is just the way it is. Who needs an assist - or any points scored yourself - if your teammate is scoring every time on his own?

TMAC's play was another bright spot. He put a bunch of points together, hitting his outside shots like they were layups, cutting in for dunks, and just driving the ball in for scores. Yeah, where was that in OT? It would not have mattered much in the 1st OT, as Tay, again, was hitting everything. It was not a lack of having TMAC score for us, it was not having a guy in like Monroe who could handle Stoudemire half way ok on the defensive end.

Rip is doing spot up 3's,and coming off picks. Nothing wrong with that in itself - but he is much more valuable when he concentrates on getting to the hoop more. That was a panic 3 try late in the 2nd OT. We desperately needed 2 points at that moment. (1:30 to go about - a 2 would have put us down 5 with lots of time)

Our bench scored well enough. Nothing spactacular. Just enough. If we had won this one in regulation - the minutes would have turned out about right. Our bench played well enough to give the starters plenty of rest, and that is all you can typically ask for out of them. Of course, Gordon ended up playing in the small ball unit that ended reg and played the OT's.

I don't care why, it was a good move to change things up to start the 2nd half. However, not to turn around and play JMAX at all in the 2nd half is a questionable call. Defense wins games too. Yes, as a team the Pistons were really trying to help each other out on defense. Lots of good stuff there - but simply playing sound defensive players at their appropriate positions can't possibly be overrated.

Yes, that was about the worst missed dunk I have seen this year from Big Ben.

More good. Daye got to play, feel a part of the team perhaps. Always glad to see anyone play backup minutes to Tay, so that he can be more effective the minutes he does play. (Of course, coach hates this, which is probably why he moved TMAC to starting power forward in the 2nd half - just so he could find someway to continue on overplaying Tay going forward. The idea of playing TMAC at power forward came about many weeks ago - I don't like the idea at all - not when you could be playing Monroe there. Go big at guard more - something we saw just a bit of tonight. But just a bit before reverting to small ball to end the 2nd half.

Bynum was not a matchup nightmare tonight, so he fit this game. However, the idea of playing TMAC at point guard - and say Daye or Tay at small forward with Rip guarding their point ought to eventually cross Kuester's mind. Go big, make the other team find a way to guard you.

Again, there was a lot of good stuff, lots of teamwork on both ends of the floor. Just heavily negated by all the small ball played in this one. The unit at the end had Rip at small forward, Tay at power forward. Totatlly out of position for both players, and again, a nightmare for our defense - which could not guard the middle, could not garner a rebound, and worse, meant our perimeter was unchecked as everyone tried to help inside.

18. LA Dre

All good points Lee as usual.

Bottom line we are big or 2 to short, and a half pg away from at least getting 30 wins this season, and more importantly a coach away from getting it done in the post season next season even if we do have the right players in place.

19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I enjoyed this quote from a recent article...

I thought they were going to say 20 years ago or something like that. But nope, it hasn't happened since the same exact team did it to us pretty much the last time they played. Oy.

20. FreshPrince22

When does Bynum get booted out of the rotation? With TMac playing well, I would much rather see a second unit of Gordon / TMac / Daye / CV / Monroe (If Kuester won't start either Monroe or CV). Let TMac run the offense with Gordon defending the point. Daye deserves the minutes a lot more than Bynum right now.