vs New York Knicks Saturday January 16 7:30 pm

Discussion in 'January 2010' started by roscoe36, Nov 3, 2009.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Detroit Pistons vs New York Knicks

Saturday January 16

7:30 pm

Local TV: FS Detroit

Nat'l TV:

Radio: 97.1 The Ticket

2. roscoe36

David Lee tonight. The guy we should have inked in the offseason to a long term deal. I think he had 25 + 14 + 9 last night. Nearly a triple double in 48 minutes, that's 9 assists from the center position.

3. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

David Lee was RFA. Knicks was planning to match offers anyway... You are usually sharp but this time you're missing...Saturday Nerd's Hangover?

4. roscoe36

You're so cruel to me, all I can do is laugh a little.

5. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Come on, Rascoe. Don't take that crap from Rax. Put up your dukes.

:fencing:

6. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I wouldnt mind seeing Daye D' up [STRIKE]Chris Paul[/STRIKE] David Lee for a short spell. His length would make up for his lack of strength (compared to [STRIKE]CP3[/STRIKE]David Lee).

:nerd2:

7. roscoe36

8. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

I Can't BELIEVE THAT WE ARE WINNING THIS GAME BY HALFTIME!!!

I'm shocked

9. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Three in a row. Three wins in a row. And just about nothing but home games on the schedule for quite a while going forward from here.

This game had some good stuff. Once again, Q managed the bigs about right. Never pairing up Big Ben with Jason, and only just a little of pairing Wilcox and CV. Again, he gave Daye a good long stint in the 2nd quarter. He even gave both Rip and Ben Wallace good long rests in the first half.

What seemed to be an easy win with us up 21 late in the 3rd quarter turned into a nail biter as Q was totally committed to try to lose the game by excess small ball to begin the 4th quarter. He did come to his senses in time though. Why play three guards and give the other team mismatches to exploit all over the court? Oh, thats right, playing Chucky Atkins must be some kind of edict from Joe. How else can you explain taking one of your hottest players from the 3rd quarter, JJ, and choose to leave him out so Atkins can play?

As someone mentioned on one of the boards I read, Wilcox seems to play pretty darn well. So why did he not play much of the season. Yep, Q thought Kwame was the guy who we had to play to win. He has learned. But yet, the Pistons don't run plays for Wilcox? Wilcox got a nice double double in short minutes, with few plays ran for him. Can you imagine just how much more effective Wilcox could be if we actually did run plays for him? We still ain't got it all right in that regard but we sure did get a whole lot of paint points.

Rip was off for much of the game with his shot, but he changed his game up and got scoring inside for himself and made some nice passes for others. Stuckey just keeps bulling inside, although he shot poorly after the first quarter. At least he got us off to a good start.

CV just kept scoring inside, and scoring more inside. And he got plenty of rebounds too. Nice defensive play here and there too.

JMAX played inside but missed his shots. Still helps wear them out a bit. He played fine defense, and let Big Ben rest for most of the the 2nd quarter.

David Lee for them kept them in the game in the first half, but Big Ben had his number in the 2nd half, blocking the guy twice on one play and generally making his life miserable as we built up a sizable lead.

JJ hustled a lot and did some damage offensively in the 3rd quarter including another outside shot made. Like I said, he can hit those with enough in game practice. Yeah, I know, Q plans to nix that as soon as he can get Tay to limp on back out there.

No Gordon. (groin.) No Bynum, though they said he is close to returning to practice. Tay still out with the knee. I missed what they said about him but I know they gave an update.

No Summers. No Kwame.

Both teams were playing on a back to back.

Atkins did hit a couple of triples, but too many times he is found switched on to someone he can't even begin to gaurd. Not to mention you get virtually no guard rebounding from him. Did I mention how slow he gets the ball up the floor - and has not one bit of ability to actually create any scoring ops as a point guard. Pretty lousy play, but he was well plus for the game as besides him at least everyone else around him was hustling and playing good D.

Winning a pair on back to back nights is never easy. And Q is seeming to learn, although very slowly, how to put rotations out there that can win games. And he even gave two rookies significant minutes to develop their games. The only question is just how stupid Kuester will get when guys like Tay and Gordon return. Will he further up Atkins minutes, and quit playing key players like JJ and JMAX. Will he quit developing Daye. I guess all we can do is hope he learns just a bit faster going forward.

Meanwhile, Dumars has signaled he is looking at trades. Hey, I say there is nothing wrong with the team as it stands. Just a rookie coach who can't manage his players, and who has shown a very poor ability to stick to any plans he makes prior to a game. No trade will help the situation. Only Q becoming a better coach can really help this team. (Meanwhile, we do not know if some of the craziness we have seen this season is of Dumar's doing in the first place. How much is Dumars pushing the minutes, or canceling the minutes, for any given player.)

Hey, again, 3 wins in a row. Lots and lots of fun to watch this game tonight.

GO PISTONS!!!!!

10. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Dumars don't do it. Period.

11. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

True, Joe is not an over the shoulder micro-managing GM; even when he really should be at times.

I have no idea at all how you work Tay, Bengo and Will Bynum all back into the rotation. Time to make a cap move, maybe someone will take Tay if we throw in Will Bynum too! While I am a huge Will Bynum fan, I ain't crazy, Stevie Wonder can see that there are not enough minutes to go around for all 4 guards to be effective, and give JJ his mins and get AD some run too. Not Hapn'n

12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Can't believe we almost lost this one. We were looking really good there for a while. I would say that this is a very unselfish team overall. We just looked selfish for a while because of all the injuries and our lack of jump shooters.

With Rip and CV back and Chucky getting some minutes, the ball is moving and we are stretching the defenses out a bit more. All the guys seem to like eachother, root for eachother, and are accepting of the roles that they are being asked to play. Q has shown that he is willing to give everyone on the team a chance to show what they can do.

By the way, what are the odds that we make the playoffs this year at this point? I would have said 1% a week ago, but now I think it is more like 20%. The reason is because we are only 4.5 games out right now and the last playoff spot is occupied by a team with a .474 record. That means that we need 39 wins to make it in if everything holds constant. We would have to go 25-18, or play at about the same pace as Utah. We still have Tay, Ben Gordon, and Will Bynum out and it looks like they will all be back with no long term effects. Rip and CV are finally getting back into game shape. In the meantime, we've discovered that JJ is a player, that Wilcox has a role, and Daye has become more comfortable. We are in a better position that most crappy teams.

13. max

max All-Star

Good points Lee. The small ball was pretty obvious as those foreign bigs were able to seemingly score at will over Stuckey/Rip. The again how many teams can field 6'10" SF's? Apparently the Knicks can so lets hope its not lost on Keuster for Mondays game.

It's very nice watching Rip get back to his old self. I am starting to have 2nd thoughts now about trading him.

JJ has been playing great but he was not so great a couple of weeks ago at PF. Is he just a nice tall SF? Hard to tell so far.

Ben Wallace has also been playing great. He seems to really get energized when they involve him in the offense. Especially when they pass him the ball at the top of the key and let him setup a play.

Last year we would have been complaining about letting the other team back in the game. Now a win is a win which is nice to have under any circumstances.

I am not totally sold on Wilcox yet. Like to see a few more games of that to make sure it was not a fluke.

14. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

^ Ugh, don't even remind me of the fact that there's still a very realistic chance of this team making the playoffs. That is just about the worst thing that could happen to this team.

15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

We currently enjoy the 4th longest winning streak in the NBA. :pound:

16. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

US!!!! We have two of them.

That's why I propose a trade. A 3 team deal that sends Rip and Tay to Bos, Ray Allen to Houston and T-Mac's expiring contract here to Detroit.

That would give us cap room, allow the players who are a part of our future to continue playing, and it'd screw up our newly found success just enough to keep us out of the playoffs and firmly in the front of the lottery line. We simply can't depend on Wash, Philly, NJ, Minny, Indy and GSW to win some games in order to offset our wins, we need to be agressive with this thing.

17. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Us making the playoffs depends on wether we're on the hill going up, of flying down the other side when the playoffs start(of this roller coaster season).

Nah...we're just not good enough yet to make the playoffs.

18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Even though the playoffs are not a pipedream, it would take a record that is 7 games above .500 for the rest of the year to have a shot. I agree that we are probably not capable of that. But you never know.

And I also think it wouldn't be the best outcome for us to miss out on the lottery and get swept out of the first round again. But you can't tell guys to lose and you can't expect Kuester to tank. Our guys have a lot of pride and the team will be much better than we have seen so far when all the pieces are back. If nothing else, this team was supposed to have some offensive firepower. We haven't really seen it yet, but when the guys are healthy, we will have some surprising wins that will tease you with our potential.

19. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

You mean when Stuckey was totally out of control in the first quarter.

As we all know, Q's mission is in discovering mode. A young team that has different levels of developing talent or at least wants time on court to discover it. The best way might be to excel the energy level on the offensive end and then see how much it can carry out on the defensive end. Only way they can stay close on away games.

As of now (without JD making any serious moves): 10:90
    That losing streak (much to my chagrin) got them in the lottery.

Makes sense.

20. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor