vs New Orleans Hornets Sunday December 19 6:00 pm

Discussion in 'December 2010' started by roscoe36, Oct 19, 2010.

1. copper

copper Bench Warmer

lol.. I still think we're better off with Stuckey, Rip on the other hand I could do without. He just doesnt seem to be interested and that rubs off on the rest of the players.

2. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Fun. Good to see the win. I rooted even though I believe the only real way out of the Piston decline is a top, top draft pick who would then be the basis of the franchise.

Rip and Gordon are basically the same player. That is the problem. Gordon is younger and was supposed to take Rip's place.

The Stuckey experiment at the point is not working. As bad as the Pistons need a big, they are also disoriented because of sporadic point guard play.

You can't keep playing so many players and win games. The rotation has been too broad.

While Maxiel is overmatched most nights, he played great defense against West. Maxiel seems to be able to play big only every other game or so. He should be used as a situational defensive player.

Bynum played well. But they didn't and couldn't key on him because Gordon was going off. He still coughed up the ball late. He can change the pace of a game when there are a lot of other options working. But he still gives up way too much in size for major minutes.

CV and Gordon are not the answers but neither are they the problems. They were brought to the Pistons to attach on to a team but their was no team. Gordon needs a true point to work with and CV needs a big alongside him so most of the time they look lost.

3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I only saw the replay, but I'm guessing they also would have been jammed through the hoop if they would have been anywhere near him. He was on a mission.

4. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Just saw the tape of the game and it was great...I purposely avoided looking up the score as I wanted to be surprised. The game was close most of the second half and I knew if the Pistons were to lose this one, it would be because of all of the missed free throws. (13-23):yellowprison:. Even the one Bynum missed in the closing seconds of OT could have bitten us.

Good games by our little guards in Gordon and Bynum. Will had nine assists and passed the rock when needed and went to the hoop when needed (8-10 shooting). 21 points. Gordon had 25 pts after missing his first 7 shots.

Tay had 28 pts, but you didn't really see him getting them....maybe because I fast forwarded through the first qtr and part of the 3rd. Gordon was the hero of the second half ...especially that clutch three to tie the game at 100 that eventually put the game in OT. The Pistons had missed a few gimme-bunnies right before that three and then fell into that same funk after going up 105-100 in the OT.

yes I would agree that the Budweiser play of the game would be the Max steal and subsequent race down the court and tip drill with David West who had been killing him with his jumpers throughout the game. It should be noted that the game shaking jam in the end was Max's only shot and bucket of the game....also he had not a single rebound in the game and botched a couple of passes to him earlier in the game that were in the paint. I still not sold on Max's court sense as he seems to make [STRIKE]mistakes[/STRIKE] boneheaded plays like a couple of ill advised offensive fouls and then not dribbling out the clock in the end. But I ain't mad at him as I chuckled and cheered the last play just like everyone else did.

When is the last time the Pistons and Lions had 3 pt over time wins on the same day.....probably never....if only the Wings could have won their OT game today for the Detroit win trifecta

5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

And almost on the same day as the full eclipse on the solstice!

6. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Someone has to be willing to give up something half decent for Tay, right?

7. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

And if the pass goes out of bounds - again, one point game, plenty of time for N.O. to shoot.

8. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Great finish....nice to see Bynum come through when he got the chance. The last paly by Maxiell was great...not the right play if you were just going for the win...but the right way to finish the game.

9. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

By far and away the most entertaining win in a very long time. The Pistons did everything they could to lose this game but somehow found a way to win!

It was good to see Bynum doing some Bynumite stuff out on the court. He played very well with the exception of the 5 turnovers.

Tayshaun was spectacular without us making him the go-to guy, he just played aggressively and efficiently.

T-Mac showed flashes of the old T-Mac by making a jumper and he really showed us his T-Mac'ness by injuring his groin :doh: good old Tracy McGrady, the moment it looks like you can depend on him he goes down like Frazier with an injury.

Ben Gordon looked like crap in the 1st half and shot 0-7 (I Think) but came on in the 2nd half to score 24 points included a tough long range 3 pt bomb to send the game into OT.

Gotta give Q some credit, he made adjustments, and those adjustments yielded the win. We're not good enough to let guys play poorly just so they can get a rhythm, CV stunk up the joint in the first half and sat on the bench. Wilcox didn't do much better so Q gave the minutes to Max in the 2nd half and his tough defense against West actually won this game for us.

Props to Will Bynum, Dejuan Summers and Jason Maxiel for being true professionals and being ready when called upon.

Which brings me to Summers, is it possible we (with the exception of Lee) overlook this guy? I'm always impressed how the dude is locked and loaded with that jumper no matter what the circumstance or how many DNP-CD's he gets during the year. Anytime he's been called upon he's plays pretty well, I wonder how he would progress with a steady dose of minutes. Is he good enough to make Austin Daye part of a trade package? Phx just gave up Earl Clark to get rid of Hedo, maybe it'll take Daye to get rid of Rip? An offer I'd seriously consider to bring the right PF/C in to help this team move forward.

10. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Another win. I guess I will take a few moments to write up the game.

1)Seems doubtful that Rip was in anyway unable to play the game, from what I am reading from other's posts. More like he would not accept coming off the bench. Don't know really, nor do I know why Stuckey missed the game - they reported in the broadcast it was a sore toe for Stuckey and an upset stomach for Rip.

2)Tay was the guy scoring thruout the game, keeping us in the game. A whole lot of scoring around the basket from him.

3)Ben Gordon got 7 decent looks in the first half, missed them all. In the 2nd half, the only thing that changed is that the shots started dropping - to the tune of 24 2nd half points, making him the scoring hero, or at least one of them, for the 2nd half. Bynum also did a bunch of his scoring in the 2nd half.

4)Bynum plays some pretty horrid D, but he just missed a double double by one assist in this game. 21 points ain't shabby either. Bynum can hit his shots outside, and can bust moves to the basket. I hope his lack of footwork is from a still lingering injury - cause that way he could still get better.

5)JMAX did almost zilch - except he anchored the D for all of the 4th quarter and OT to help get us the win. Some outstanding defensive plays to get steals toward the end.

6) Not much from Monroe or Ben Wallace. CV started in place of Monroe. CV certainly provided much needed scoring as the game went on, about half and half inside / outside. Maybe more inside. And he looked good going inside.

7)Summers only played 9 minutes. Scored 8 points on a pair of triples and one score inside from a Maxiell pass. Oh, and Summers played good enough D to where those points held up. Exactly why is he not playing more?

8)No update lately on when White is returning. Might need another guard soon though with Rip possibly being in the doghouse and TMAC not being 100%.

9) TMAC played 19 minutes, about his usual, but they were all in the first half. Too much for him most likely. Apparently, he had a minor groin pull and was kept out as a precaution for the 2nd half. Sure hope it was a nothing.

10. Time to go to college. Two more days after today and I graduate. Bye for now. Great to see a win. The 2nd in 3 games, both against teams with winning records.

11. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Great work and congratulations, Lee! And nice recap.

12. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Graduate for what/which Lee ?
    Seems like when we are short handed and Tay is asked to do more he does more.

13. Brap

Brap Starter

Interesting problems created by how some guys played today:

1) Summers - This kid is talented. No way should the Pistons continue to bury him. However, Daye is the future, no doubt in my mind - he's a unique kind of player in this league. And when JJ comes back, he's got to play too. So exactly how does Summers break through into our rotation? That only happens, IMO, if Daye moves to SG.

2) Gordon. I don't think this should be an issue. I'd bench Rip, trade him for anything - just move him along one way or the other.

3) Bynum. No way he's a starting PG, but if he'd play with that aggression to the rim every game, he'd become a super backup PG off the bench. My solution? I'd trade McGrady - who every contender would love - and get a #1 or good young big man back.

4) Maxiell. Please god, trade him Joe. I'd much rather be playing Summers. But when Maxiell plays like last night - with super energy and agression, he's a valuable energy guy off the bench.

14. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Don't look now, but the Pistons have beaten 2 playoff teams in taking 2 out of their last 3. Now is not the time to panic. Let these guys get healthy and it will start raining wins.

This is a deep, versatile team. 'Lil Dirk Nowitzki is hurt, no problem, just go with 'Lil Karl Malone. Rip Hamilton is out, whatever, we got Ben Gordon.

It looks like the Pistons hit desperation mode by starting their 2 marquee FA signings.

I thought it was interesting that Q yanked CCG when he picked up 2 1st Q fouls. He has consistently left guys like Monroe in for a few minutes more when this has happened. I don't know if he altered his strategy because of the (allegedly) depleted roster or if he trusts a rookie to play with 2 fouls but not CCG.

Ben Gordon has major issues handling the ball and I think this would become magnified if he started. I guess you got to take the bad with the good. His scoring and shot would improve with consistent minutes.

I honestly think Summers could get minutes on the Celtics right now.

15. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Nice win!

:pound:

16. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Awesome, Lee!

17. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Max was pumped in that play. He snarled at David West after the play and then CV was silly enough to go for a chest bump with Max which almost sent him flying to the floor. He had to take like 6 steps back to regain his balance. :pound:

18. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

A few key points I observed:
    • Gordon always plays great when Rip's not around. Rip has to go.
    • Q didn't really make any noteable adjustments. He simply ran out of players. Stuckey, Rip, Daye weren't dressed for the game and T-Mac lasted only one half. All the players that could still run got PT.
    • Prince can fetch us something really good by trade deadline.
    • Summers is the new Afflalo.

19. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

A two year degree in Construction Technology along with a certificate in Cadd.

20. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Daye is a small forward, but can play shooting guard. Summers is a power forward, but can play small forward.

The concept of deliberately losing games by not playing the right players to match up with the other team, in the name of shortening the rotation, is absurd.

You got a night where CV looks a bit off on the offensive end, and can't do the job on the defensive end - get Summers in there. Summers can nail 3's just fine - and play a whole lot better D than CV can.

There are probably players who CV can bother with his length well enough to where he is a good enough matchup. But Summers is going to be right up on anyone he is asked to defend - with sufficient height for the most part and tons of strength. And Summers nails his defensive rotations consistently.

The one thing CV does better than Summers - score around the basket. As long as CV is doing that on a regular basis - while not giving up more points on the other end - he can play some. But don't ever tell him he owns any minutes. He wants to play - go 100%. And even if he going 100%, sometimes he is just not the right guy out there. Sorry, you can't be rewarded for hustle if it means the team loses. (Like they did with JJ so many games.)

If CV gets 20 minutes in a game, that is enough to keep him sharp. Play Summers any further minutes available after that. Forget a short rotation, keep a versatile one.

PS - not one game has been lost this season from a too large rotation. That is just an excuse that has been used, mostly by the coach. The coach loses games all season so far by not matching up, paying no attention to what is going on on the floor - and making adjustments too slow or never. You take a guy like Gordon for instance. Shot off? So what - get some inside. Ditto for Rip - and if he has no inside game - that is a perfectly good reason to play someone else. Tell him to find an inside game if he wants to keep getting the minutes he is use to.