vs New Orleans Hornets Friday January 15 8:00 pm

Discussion in 'January 2010' started by roscoe36, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

2 in a row. And this win was against a good team that had just won 8 of 9, and which had its top players doing very well tonight. We just flat out beat a good team tonight.

Why? Due to a bunch of injuries, it made it almost impossible for Kuester to go small. No Gordon. No Bynum. Stuckey gets his knee banged into in the 1st half. So Kuester is forced to play with regular rotations thruout the game.

Why the bad run to start the 2nd quarter after we started with a 15 point lead? Daye was out there, sure. JMAX was out there, sure. But so was Atkins, and the Hornets were keying on Atkins to get easy buckets. Atkins, if you get him on a switch, can't guard anyone who he is switched out on. (and really, he can't guard their point guards either.) Just my opinion. Atkins did hit 3 triples for the game to make up for a lot of his points given up, so I won't say he had a really terrible game this time. I do object strongly to how Atkins slow mo's the ball up the court. Speed it up.

JJ hustled his way to quite a game. 13 points, lots of bounds. Big Ben pulled in 20 boards and scored 13 as well. He frustrated their hack-a-Ben strategy by splitting at the line a couple of times. (effectively like shooting 50% when you are put at the line and make half.)

Big Ben and JMAX played D. We always had one or the other in the game. And again, never both. One of Wilcox or CV was always in the game, but again, never both. So again, Kuester managed his bigs right.

CV scored plenty, and you got to like the mix he used. He got inside plenty and drew many fouls.

Rip is definitely back on his shooting. Still lacks that 3 ball range though. He got 30 plus tonight.

Stuckey shot poorly in all, but you got to like that he stayed aggressive even after the knee knock. (and he crashed his head into the back of a player later, forcing us to call a timeout while he shook that off.) Any you just have to like that he went into cluth mode in OT.

We do harp on CV's D, but when healthy, and playing with an otherwise solid defensive unit, the fact he is a lengthy 7 footer shines thru well enough. He can do his share.

Daye hit some triples on his way to double digit scoring in short minutes. Wow, we actually got to see Daye play a whole quarter. Not bad. And Kuester mind you left Daye in even after that long run by N.O. Its great that he did not pull Daye to make him get singled out.

Ben hit a jumper. News there. He stepped into it nicely. A simple practice shot, since the other team was just letting him shoot unchallenged.

Wilcox is playing just fine: the team still has to do major work as far as learning to feed Wilcox in the post. Wilcox made 3 of 4 at the line or so tonight. Enough made free throws to call for him getting the ball more inside.

Also of great importance. Other than Stuckey playing thru an injury sustained in this game, the Pistons played healthy tonight. (and Stuckey's injury by the way may have factored in also in that run by the Hornets - as we had Atkins playing the point while Stuckey was moved over to shooting guard there while playing on the injured knee.)

We play again tomorrow night. With it ending up in OT, a couple of guys ended up playing too many minutes. But oh well, we got two in a row, going for 3.

GO PISTONS!!!!!

2. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The Pistons led by Rip and CV, busted out to a 31-16 first quarter lead only to see the Hornets comeback with a 14-2 run to start the second and (17-2) if you count the three they made with a couple of seconds left in the first.

So before the fans had a chance to return from potty breaks, the Pistons big lead was trimmed to a slim 33-30 lead. I am blaming the Hornets run on Atkins and Max as the two of them out there gave us little offensive movement and no rebounding. Once both of them left, the Pistons were able to re-establish their offense with rip, Daye and even Big Ben doing the damage on the offense. Ben had 11 boards in the first half.

Stuckey already having a bad game shooting going 1-7 in the first qtr, gets bumped by one of the Hornets in the second and Atkins comes back in near the end of the quarter.

The Pistons led at the half 55-42, but as we know with this season's defense, no Piston lead is safe and once again the Pistons had to fight CP3 and David west just as they did in the game down in Nawlins last month to keep the lead.

As they went down to the wire, both the Pistons and Hornets missed opportunities to put the game away. Seems like all of the shots came from Rip and Stuckey and Stuck could not bye a hoop as he was still hurting. But since Atkins had already fouled out (much to George Blaha's surprise) they had to go with an injured battered Stuckey into OT. That is when Stuck showed his true grit going to the hoop and willing in a couple of and 1's to finally make it a two possession game. Funny, CV was out there for the last 5 mins of regulation and the OT and I don't he was ever passed to???

Rip almost finished with a triple double...32 pts, 10 assists and 7 turnovers.

Ben had his own double-double with 21 brds and 13 pts.

In fact four Pistons finished with 13 pts each Ben, Stuckey, JJ, CV and Daye was one pt shy with 12.

2 game win streak in affect. Indy and Philly both win so they don't move behind or gain any ground in the quest for a top 3 lotto pick.:)...however the Wiz lose again so they may be tanking without the gunner.

3. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

It was a heart game. A huge bump from their last victory. You can bet that playing next to CP and West, in overcoming a high leadership team, will be a tremendous learning experience for Jeb and Daye.

You want to instill confidence on these close games (the importance in always having energy in the last quarter), even if only inconsistently.

Don't expect this same result to happen tomorrow.

4. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

West is a man among boys. I would like to convince him that he is now ready to lead...a summation of his talent which expresses leadership beyond a PG, a Center and toward a much grateful, youthful talent surrounding him. In a place that desperately needs him.

5. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Amazing that you lose 3 out of 4 quarters in regulation, and still come way with a victory. Had it not been for a quick start, the game would have been over by the end of the 3rd.

No one has commented on Q's GREAT (honestly, great) coaching to start the 4th quarter. When Stuckey was feeling the burn, and he sure was, I could see it in his face the entire third quarter, he spelled him with Austin Daye, instead of Chucky Cheese. Rip essentially playing the 1, but Jonas bringing the ball up the court. And the only reason why I call this a brilliant move is because Q recognized that Peja was guarding Jonas, which allowed him to play that point forward position. You have to use your match ups, when they are available. Brilliant. At that point in the game, we had match-ups all over the floor we could have used, CP3 on JJ, Thornton on Rip, Posey on Daye. JJ got a great offensive board that was crucial as the game was tied. I'm proud of Q.
    The shortest Piston on the court would have been Rip at 6'7 or whatever he is with shoes on. The overall strength and grit of Stuck down the stretch was too much. Give the kid credit. I dont care if he is a point guard or a center, he willed the time to victory, scoring 8 points in overtime.

6. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

That was a darn good move, but actually Atkins fouled out. The move did give Stuckey a little time to let his knee get some healing time.

7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Only our 2nd overtime game of the year. It was really fun to see a game with some dynamics to it. Huge start, blown lead, kept it close with clutch shots, and then Stuckey came alive in OT.

There were some crazy statistical performances tonight. The one that I like the best was that we held NOH to 1 offensive rebound in regulation! When you combine all of our offensive rebounds, the end result is that we had more chances to score than they did. We attempted 1 more shot from the field and got 15 more free throws... with Rip going 12-14.

And what a monster game by Rip. He was the center of attention all night and displayed a fantastic mix and shooting and passing. And they weren't just passes when he ran into roadblocks, but well conceived feeds. For a player to be +22 in an overtime game is rare. By the way, besides all the assists Rip got, there were a good 3 or 4 more where the man that he setup got immediately fouled and sent to the line. Just look at the foul trouble for NOH (CP3-6 fouls, West- 5, Okafor- 5, Thornton- 4). Did he turn it over a bunch? Yep. The guy dribbles the ball at shoulder height, but essentially was forced to play PG most of the night, even when Stuck was on the floor.

But what about Ben Wallace turning back the clock? Here's my deep stat of the night. Ben Wallace has only had 1 rebounding game better than this since he left the Pistons. It happened on 12/15/06 with the Bulls when he had 10 pts, 27 rebs, 6 ast, 3 stl, 3 blks, 1 tov, and 1 PF. But besides that masterpiece, Ben got paid the big bucks while never producing a game like he did tonight. And holding NOH to 1 off reb in reg??? That is stingy as hell. This guy was a Motor City legend, and instead of diminishing his rep in his twilight years, he's magnifying it.

Very inspiring performance all around.

8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

One more amazing realization about Ben Wallace. In 2002-2003, he must have been at his athletic peak.

Here were his rebounding breakouts.
    • He had 16 games that year with 20 rebounds or more!
    • He had another 25 games with 15-19 rebounds.
    • He only had 9 games with single digit rebounds, and they were 9, 9, 9, 9, 8, 8, 8, 7, and 5.
    Oh, and he also had 41 games that year with at least 3 blocked shots.
    14 games with at least 3 steals.
    He played 46 minutes or more 8 times and we were 8-0 in those games.
    He never once fouled out.
    He made an NBA 3-pointer, which put past Will Blalock on the all-time list. Since then, he has hit 3 more.

I think I may have to go buy a jersey.

9. DesmoPiston

DesmoPiston First Round Draft Pick

I am guessing Stern will send someone to check if Ben is on some kinda crack... we need to rest him every other game, so we can get a monstrous game like this. Ben being back and kicking some ass is the best part of the season for me (so far). Thanks Ben. Stay in Detroit!

10. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Actually at that point Chucky had not fouled out, it wasnt until around the 6 or 7 minute mark that Chuck fouled out. But either way. Q got it.

11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Didn't we only have that crazy linup for 1 possession or so? Maybe I just noticed it late.

12. Brap

Brap Starter

JJ looked really good initiating the offense. The kid knows how to play, and he's got serious skills.

It gives me hope that even if you never call Stuckey a true point, that since he's a great and secure ball handler and good passer, that with guys like Daye and Jerebko being able to run the offense, that we might never need a true point.

13. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Welcome to the forum! :MusicBigGrin:

14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'm not sure that I'd say he ran the offense. The other 4 starters had 20 assists and he had 2. It was pretty cool seeing an intentional crazy lineup by our coach though. We are so used to our coaches either brainlessly matching the other team or going small to give all the stars their required PT quotas.

... and yes, welcome Brap.

15. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yeah that was second of his four DPOY awards and Joe was so afraid that Big Ben would be worn out after this stellar season...that he drafted Darko :sssh:

16. max

max All-Star

Very entertaining game. Is it going to take 20 rebounds from Ben for us to win? I don't know. Someone had to step up.

Glad to see Rip is getting back to his old self. Ball movement is so much better now with him playing well.

17. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

This game was a classic example of how Jerebko fits this team better than Tay with the multitude of things he can do. NO wasn't able to back off him on D and pack in against the other Piston 4 either. His basket cuts are ill.

I'm starting to bum out when they win.

If Rip got to 10 turnovers would you still get the free curly fries from Arby's?

It looks to be a spirited battle between Stuck and CV to see who can get hurt more. I wouldn't be surprised if they came down with Typhoid Fever at this rate.

I can't make up my mind on Daye. He can definitely do some things though. I guess I'd like to see him get some consistent early run.

Tanking benefits aside, that was a quality win. Nice job fellers.

18. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Interesting. Here plenty of forumites want to get rid of rip due of being "a ballhog, all team has work for him-to satisfy his ego;he slows down offense, etc"

19. max

max All-Star

Thats what the "getting back to his old self" meant. Past 2 games he has been trusting his teammates and not trying to win the game single handed. Like he used to play when the Pistons used to win 50+ games every year.

20. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Watching the Pistons broadcast on LP last night it struck me how sad the case of Zeke with the Pistons is when they brought up the passing of his moms.

This guy should be hailed as the Bill Russell/Larry Bird of the Pistons where every time you turn around you see some mention of him, but instead he's on the outcast like he's OJ Simpson.

Think of how much hype Chris Paul gets and through their 1st 5 years in the L Zeke has him beat across the board statistically. It just ain't right.