vs New Jersey Nets Friday February 4 7:30 pm

Discussion in 'February 2011' started by roscoe36, Oct 19, 2010.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

2. Pistons0809

Pistons0809 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

The "ballaz" who represent the Detroit Pistons lace 'em up tonight against the rejuvenated Nyets. I... really have nothing to add.

Go Pistons!
  3. copper

copper Bench Warmer

man I am tryin to think of something positive here and all I can come up with is " when is jj and white coming back so we can evaluate talent and matchups for next season"?
  4. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Can't believe we haven't beaten these guys this season....must win situation!!
  5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

6. LA Dre

Every game where we get an 8-10 point lead, Bynum or somebody comes in stalls the offense and we can never get it passed 15 to secure a run away....

nets turn a 35-25 deficit into 39-36 deficit in less than 90 seconds....11 pts from Anthony Morrow during that span.
  7. LA Dre

Half time, Pistons 48- Nets 44.

As previously stated, Pistons had a 10 pt lead with 6 mins left, but Morrow was allowed to score 11 pts in less than 90 seconds to get the Nets back in the game....He hit two threes and was fouled on another three attempt by Summers and hit all three FT.

Speaking of FT, the Pistons so called home court advantage is not showing as the Nets have already made as many FT's and the Pistons have take (7).

Devin Harris has already penetrated enough to dish off 8 assists.

This is must win, or could potentially be the 5th loss in row to what could build to 7 in row before they meet the Cavs next week.
  8. LA Dre

End of Third....Pistons 72 Nets 63

Tmac looks a little winded and has probably taken to many jumpers than warranted.

Pistons put a man on Morrow, outside the arc, but he still gets 5 more pts
    Nets did not go the line at all in the qtr, Pistons get there 8 times and cash in 5 times.

Pistons need to open the 4th on a good run, or the Nets will make it interesting all the way to end.
  9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Big minutes from GM with a great overall game. He was the mainstay as the Pistons held the Nets bigs to a pretty poor overall outing.

Lopez, Favors, and Outlaw with only 26 points and 9 combined rebounds to GM's 20 and 11.

And 2 blocked shots! Great to see. 10-14 from the floor. Only real blemish was 0-5 from the line, but no worries, he's got OK form... and might have been a little winded from the high PT.

Great game from Tay as well with a team high in points, tie in assists, tie in blocks, and overall +/-.
  10. LA Dre

Pistons break 4 game losing streak playing their best second half in the past week beating the Nets 92-82. Greg Monroe has become the master of the put back and scored 20 pts and grabbed 11 boards, including 5 offensive.

Daye was also big in crunch time hitting two threes and Taye had his best effort of the week making sure that the Pistons broke the losing streak.
  11. linwood

linwood All-Star

Nice win. Playoffs?
  12. LA Dre

Maybe...only 3.5 games behind the 8th spot (Charlotte) with 32 games left:MusicBigGrin:
  13. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

HEAAAAY !!!
  14. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Heros for this win: Tay, who made a bunch of tough shots around the basket. More importantly, he did not try his best to match 3 point shots with Daye. Tay started out aggressive, and stayed aggressive thru all his minutes.

Next, TMAC, who does a little of everything. In this game, and I am pretty sure this is a first, he took the most shots for us. He scored off backdowns often, got an alley oop dunk on an inbounds play after a timeout, and made a few outside jumpers. When your team only turns the ball over 7 times for the game - you got to give major credit to your starting point guard for keeping it organized out there.

Next, Monroe. A 20-11 night. Mostly he scored off putbacks, but he also got fed in the post plenty and converted - immediately - no hesitation to let the defender ever get set. His one move, several steps from the right, was great - showing off his mobility. Monroe showed a hook shot on one of his moves.

Daye is next, with a couple of timely triples and one other closer in shot in the 4th quarter - plus playing fine defense, even grabbing key boards.

Nice to see Ben Wallace starting, shores up our D a lot better than what we get from Wilcox. Wilcox did not play a whole lot - a huge demotion for him.

We played a lot of defensive possessions to perfection, never letting them get a clean shot off. Of note, CV did not score, and did not play much. Instead, we had Summers in there. Sure, he fouled Morrow on that 3 try, and gave up another 3 to Morrow the next time down. So Morrow was hot - I would still rather see Summers play defense over CV playing offense. (Yeah, sometimes I say that just as CV explodes with a bunch of made triples. But Summers can always, every time, play good D. Don't judge him until he gets some kind of regular playing time. (Just like nobody should have been judging Monroe by his first weeks of action. Monroe is turning into a monster.

Each time Bynum got into the game, we managed to play ok at first, but soon it degraded down into Bynum vs. the world and us not doing any good. Bynum did hit two outside shots and snuck in for a layup. But mostly, he just dribbled the air out of the ball to no purpose. You know, this is a pretty good rotation, if you only replace Bynum with Stuckey when Stuckey is healthy again.

Gordon has been hitting outside shots pretty darn steady - and if you play up on him for the shot - he burns you by getting to the hoop. Defense ain't looking none too shabby lately either.

Our starters were Gordon, TMAC, Tay, Monroe, Ben Wallace.

Subs: Bynum, Summers, CV, Wilcox, Daye.

JMAX is in street clothes with an injury.(I believe its still the knee) JJ and White still have not played this season. I don't think Hamilton dressed. In fact, I think we only dressed 10 guys. Stuckey still injured. (Bruised shoulder.)

Got to write more about Monroe. What a difference from the beginning of the season. Instead of getting blocked - his shots go up confidently and in the hoop. He has learned a lot, and just flat out knows how to score in traffic these days. In this game, he again showed he can pass the ball too. Yes, he needs work to get more steady at the free throw line. If he had made most of his free throws, we would be talking about one very very impressive game indeed.

With Gordon starting, you got TMAC or Tay as the guy guarding their shooting guard. This can be a problem. Then we put Daye in the game with those too, and maybe Daye is chasing their shooting guard. Or maybe they use all that length for a pretty decent zone. If Ben Wallace is the other guy out there, or Monroe for that matter, you got a pretty good defensive setup. (Except Monroe by himself ain't much beef up front really.

Lately, both Daye and Monroe are seeing a whole lot of time. This really helps to put a younger face on the Pistons. Sure nice to see Summers join them. I know a lot of people don't know Summers that well - but if he starts playing a lot, I think people will change their minds soon. Summers has limited abilities as far as scoring around the hoop - but he was our 2nd best 3 point shooter last season, and can defend both forward positions well.

Thats about it for now.

GO PISTONS!!!
  15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

In a season where we'd be lucky to sneak into the playoffs, I'm down for developing out the youth. My frustration in prior years is that I want to know what we have. The only way to know is to give the guys some significant stretches of PT and see how they play when they get in game shape and get in the flow. Hopefully we can get Summers more burn and also White before the season is over.
  16. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

You watch enough NBA to know that rarely happens for any team on most nights.

T-Mac's behind the back pass to a cutting Monroe and his no look bounce pass to a cutting Gordon, made me jump up and yell! As a PG seeing stuff like that really gets your juices flowin'

True, while Weezy wasn't bad, Ben is still better at making the right defensive play, and Ben plays VERY well to start games, and now that's basically what he is, he starts the 1st and 3rd qtrs.

OUCH!!!! While we're both EXTREMELY opinionated, difference between me and you over the years, I'll admit that I-WAS-WRONG!

I couldn't agree more!

His learning curve is just ridiculous! As fast as he learns and progresses he'll be the 2nd coming of Wilt Chamberlain this time next season.

Excellent LeeCap!
  17. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Oh! let me expand more on Austin Daye. I ride this kid hard, I have serious doubts on whether he'll become anything more than Vladimir Radmanovich V2.0, Mike Dunleavy if we're lucky. My beef with the kid is that he doesn't use his most natural gift (aside from that jump shot), his height and length. What good is a 6'11" SF who can't exploit a mismatch? Finding players who can stand in the weak side corner and hit treys off of good ball rotation is NOTHING special, but tonight he played some of the best basketball I've ever seen from him. Tonight he rebounded in traffic, he blew by NJ's big guys when they tried to close out on him, he actually created a shot for a teammate, and......AND he finally posted up a smaller player (Ben Uzoh) and shot over the top of him. Defensively he was AWFUL, BUT, BUT, only when CV (and Bynum) was also on the floor, when he was out there with the starters (4 good-smart defenders) he played very good team defense and looked a lot more composed out there.

Also Give Q credit, he benched Rip, and it seems as if Charlie's low B-ball IQ (on both ends) is starting to wear very thin on the coach. Seems as if CV is on a short leash these days, Q has had enough of the BS and doesn't care who you are or what you make!
  18. linwood

linwood All-Star

Nice recaps from Lee and KGREG. I didn't watch the game, but I will throw in my 2 cents from Seattle. Weezy isn't a center. He's a PF. When he was a Sonic, he started the season at center with Nick Collison at PF. They sucked. Bad. I thought both of those guys were bums. Finally coach switched their roles and they both improved exponentially. I know the Pistons need centers, but Wilcox ain't a center.