vs Miami Tuesday October 5th 7:30 pm

Discussion in 'October 2010' started by OLD SKOOL HQ, Oct 5, 2010.

1. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Re: PISTONS V HEAT

Sounds like the Heat's clueless coach overplayed Dwyane Wade - automatic injury. Will these fools never learn?
  2. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA

You surely mean playoffs

:hoops:
  3. HardyHar

HardyHar First Round Draft Pick

I didn't think they looked bad at all. Aside fromt he poor first half (especially the 14 turnovers), they played even with the Heat. I think Detroit has plenty of talent. They're going to be more finesse than what we're used to, but I do think they'll be in the playoffs most likely.

Prince looked very good, so did Monroe, Daye and Gordon. Charlie V's off season may have been all hype, and I didn't see much difference in Stucky's abilities.

On a side note, I wish the coaches would tell Summers that he CAN shoot vs drives if the situation warrants it. I swear, they've either brainwashed him or he's taken their critiques too far. He's simply forcing drives way too much. Guys like Lebron can do that, not Summers.
  4. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

I didn't see the game, but I read this entire thread. Sounds like it'll be a long season. Although, I'm looking for the silver lining here. The players that were good apparently were Monroe, Daye, Gordon and Prince. That's actually good news. Monroe, Daye and Gordon can really form the core for the future and Prince playing good in a trade-bait year is a good sign.

I didn't really expect CV to improve or T-Mac to show up, so no surprises there. CV is really a 18-20 minutes backup forward it seems.

The bad is Q already overplaying Tay. WTH is he thinking?

So, judging by what y'all have been posting about this game, it seems like our future core is:

PG: Stuckey/Bynum
    SG: Gordon/??
    SF: Daye/Jerebko
    PF: ??/CV
    C: Monroe/??

So we need to somehow convert Rip, Tay and Maxiell into a defensive minded starter grade PF and a defensive minded backup center. White might be good enough to be the backup SG for 10-15 mpg.
  5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Monroe had a good game?

3 rebounds in 23 minutes against a team without a center. Ben Gordon was our leading rebounder.

1 assist, 1 steal, 1 turnover, 1 shot attempt that got packed. He made Charlie V look athletic. I hope he has Tim Duncan insides because he has the same body language (i.e., just another day at the job). He should have been hyped in his first NBA appearance.

That was some ugly stuff out there. The Heat had never played together, Wade was out the whole game, and LeBron and Bosh played limited minutes. Chalmers destroyed us.
  6. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

The first half was ugly on a whole new level.
    The Good: Daye, Gordon, Monroe and Tay.
    The OK: Bynum, Maxiel and Rip.
    The Bad: Stuckey, T-Mac, JJ's achilles, Terrico White and Rip.
    The Ugly: Charlie Villanueva actually looked worse than last season.

Things that stuck out:
    • At this point in their careers Gordon is better than Rip.
    • Stuckey is no more comfortable at the PG spot now than he was at the end of last season, shaky handles, and low hoop IQ for a PG. He is a good off the bench combo guard and I dare anybody to tell me what they saw tonight that would prove otherwise.
    • Daye needs to be our primary scorer off the bench playing 20+mpg.
    • Monroe will underwhelm us all season long but he's going to be a really good NBA ball player, 12-14ppg and 7-8rpg two or three seasons from now.
    • Charlie Villanueva has no hoop IQ at all, he just doesn't get it. Nice guy, quality guy, fun loving, caring....but on the court........LOSER!
    Right now I would still trade Rip AND Stuckey for Gilbert Arenas.

Starters: Arenas, Gordon, Tay, Monroe, Wallace.
    Rotation players: Bynum, Daye, JJ, Maxiel, and since we're paying him............Charlie Garbage (on a very short leash).
  7. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

That was rough but it was only one game. They looked like a 10 win team.

I'm with TaS on Monroe. He looked bad. I missed most of the 4th, but from what I saw I wish they had the gay guy from Too Close for Comfort instead.

I thought CG looked a little springier in the way he could get in a stance, but like KG said he's still dumb.

The Pistons got a lot of players who can do one thing, but tonight they were getting forced to do the stuff they don't do well.

Wade got hurt because he was worn down chasing Rip around those screens!!!
  8. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

My perspective after watching the game....Lee was correct as I suspected from last year...the coach is clueless...even though some of you defended him due to the injury bug, I still think the jury is out on him.......but at least his team won the second half...:sssh:

The Heats' new guys played together better than our old guys.....

Did the Pistons get pre-game introductions or did the PA announcer ignore them like the announcers?? Did anybody else hear Marv Albert refer to Lebron as Wade twice when Lebron did one his one-on-five fast breaks to score??

Also did the Miami fans leave after Wade went down to run home to see Detroit 1-8-7 or did the fans in the arena witness a live version of it? The house was half empty after halftime...

Forget Darko, Melo or Wade?? Why didn't we draft Bosh??? and don't tell me because we already had Ben Wallace...

T-Mac 8 mins no shots?? He must have been out on the floor with Stuckey or Rip and they forgot to pass it to him. I know C-Webb is 6 years older than T-mac, but right now I think I would rather have Webber on the team as an assistant coach working with the big men.., and suiting up when half of them get injured....

As bad as the shooting was, the FT shooting was even worse at 32-46....if Wade had played more, the heat would have gotten those 46 FTA and beat us by 25... JMax has not learned a thing....1-4 shooting from the floor, 2-6 from the FT line, 2 turnovers.....he is one of my Facebook friends and I might have unfriend him he keeps this up...

Once again looks like assists are going to be an issue here even though Stuckey managed to lead the team with 5....but guess what he didn't have a single shot blocked:)

To early to predict how many victories yet, but they should win a couple.
  9. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Just watched the replay, actually sat through that mess twice, what on Earth is wrong with me? Anyways, Monroe totally owns Shavlik Randolph, but Udonis Haslema and Dexter Pittman are out of his league........Heaven help us. I suspect Monroe will come along rather slowly unless Dumards finally admits that we're rebuilding and act like it, he may actually accomplish something with that approach as oppossed to the crap he's spewing now.
  10. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Since I am living here in Florida, I drove the 169 miles to Miami to see the Pistons play. Here are my observations:

1. The pistons have absolutely no chemistry. I am not only talking about the game action, I am also talking about the chemistry and camraderie that is usually exhbited on the bench. Very, very little "atta boys", no hand shaking, hand smacking, i.e. you know the stuff teams usually have going during in game preps and during the game. I was sitting right behind the Pistons bench. It seems as though no-ones talking, and if they are not talking during non-playing time, I can't see them doing it on the court, IMHO.

2. If it looked ugly on television, it was much, much worse live. At one point in the late first and beginning of the second quarter, it looked as though NO ONE wanted to shoot the damn ball. Passing up on open shots, so much hesitancy, I think I left parts of my fingernail in the seat when I left, it was that ugly.

3. It is soooo obvious that the pistons have too many wing players and not enough guys who can play in the paint. As a result, Miami made them pay, over, and over and over again.

4. Mental lapses, mental lapses and more mental lapses. POOOOOOOr spacing, we were constantly beaten on the pick and roll. I just can't understand after almost a month of practice, why did we do so poorly with this.

5. Once we go to man to man defense which we very briefly looked pretty good, however, the switch back to zone was so slow and executed very poorly.

6. Stuckey still exhibiting the same inconsistencies that he experienced last season, other than weight loss, nothing has changed much with his game.

7. Tayshaun, Ben and Daye the three best players on the floor of the night. Daye will be a special player, somehow Q has to find more time for him to play. However, playing Daye and Taye together is a recipe for disaster unless Daye is orchestrating the offense.

8. Ben Gordon needs to start period. IMHO the offense runs smoother with him on the floor matched up with Bynum who by the way passes looked pretty crisp. But when it really comes down to it, Greg Monroe is probably the best passer on the team.

9. If this game is indicative of the rest of the season, we are in for a verrry long year. We did not look good at all.

10. Our athleticism is lacking. We need to see what Diogu and Wilcox can offer to add som phsicality to the team, because we have none except for Ben Wallace.

11. Tracy Mcgrady, didn't do any thing but orchestrate. What is he waiting for and when will he start playing basketball?
  11. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Thanks for the recap, Armygirl. Having eyes right there in the arena is awesome feedback to this forum....much appreciated!!

The two things I liked about Monroe were his passing and FT shooting. The rebounding, defense, and strength will get better over time. Good starting point for our rookie, in my opinion.
  12. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Hey what was the deal with Q and Ben Gordon in the 4th quarter, they were really going at one another. I think there is a big divide between OLD and New. I think Bengo and Daye feel as if they're the future and alot better than Rip and Tay. They know like we know, somebody gots to go!
  13. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

82 games til lockout...sigh...
  14. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

15. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

16. Brap

Brap Starter

Damn - that really sucks. JJ is such a top young defender and his game is so important energy wise for the Pistons. He'll be very hard to replace.

Hopefully he has a 100% recovery. As long as he does, that won't hurt the team long term. But if that slows him down a tisch, it's an unmitigated disaster for the future, since he's a very fine player in this league. In the short term, it just kills us defensively.

In the meantime, time just opened up for someone - Daye, Summers, Monroe, Wilcox, Maxiell to prove themselves. We know we've got SF covered, but PF is a huge hole on this team unless CV steps up. Maybe he will, but I'm not holding my breath.

It also makes it that much more important that Joe find a way to trade a wing player for a solid power forward.
  17. LA Dre

JJ picked up three fouls in the first seven minutes of play...not sure at what point he got injured, but two fouls in the first five minutes, maybe his coach should have sat him after the second foul....

Somehow Rip was injured in the first game of last season when a victory was in sight and he could have been sitting....what are the assistants telling coach Q

Even Tay was thrown back in there after suffering a head injury..he recovered, but what if it was a concussion???..its the first game coach give these guys a break to recover or give every one a chance to play....

Not to wish upon a star, but why couldn't we hear that it was Wade who would be out 2-3 months:sssh:
  18. LA Dre

As good as we think Monroe was, just want to state that our preferred first round pick Demarcus Cousins had 16 pts and 16 boards in his debut 29 mins of play vs the Suns....
  19. Brap

Brap Starter

I like Cousins ability a lot - but I'm really glad the Pistons didn't end up with him. Headcases like he's reported to be are almost never (always never?) worth it to have on a a team. He began imploding again at the end of Summer League play.

This is something that will play out over the next few seasons - but I'd bet that Monroe's going to turn out to be great, and that he'll eclipse Cousins in terms of value in the league. I think it'll take a few years, because Monroe will take a few seasons to get his "man strength." (tm)

TM - from the previous Lions head coach.
  20. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

JJ being out is a scapegoat for Dumards and Clueless Sophmore coach unless T-Mac emerges from the ashes like a Phoenix.