vs Miami Heat Friday February 11 7:30 pm

Discussion in 'February 2011' started by roscoe36, Oct 19, 2010.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

3. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Wow, too ugly a game for anyone to post about.

Bynum. Led us to a 0-10 start to begin the 2nd quarter. Don't fooled by his plus for the game. Miami coasted after getting a 24 point lead mid 4th quarter. Bynum was out there as we gained 10 points of meaningless ground.

Ben Wallace. The team played a lot better with Daye out there, and got this game plenty even enough to end the 1st quarter. Why the heck Kuester pulled him in the 2nd quarter - hey, it was not Daye playing badly to start that quarter.

CV. Horrid. His defense is non-chalant to the point no way he should be let back out on the floor for a month so he can ponder it. The foul on a 3-point shooter - while at the same time non-chalanting it? How the heck can you do both. CV managed it.

Back to Daye. That is some nice outside shooting. Move over Tay, let this kid start and give TMAC a shooter to pass to.

Transition D. No matter how slow Miami got down the court, no Pistons showed up to defend. Just bad coaching to let that go on continuously.

Stuckey. Ain't no Wade - and him trying to be a post up 3 point shooter ain't working none too well.

Gordon - just could not get into a shooting rythm tonight for the most part.

Rip, DNP, not dressed due to a groin injury. Officially anyway. Who knows, without playing so long maybe having to play the one game was too much. Its possible at least.

Ownership. Hurry up and change - and find a decent coach. And GM.

TMAC. Give him something to work with, please.

JMAX got some GT.

Monroe. Playing with this team, against Miami - not a good environment for a youngster to learn in.

Wilcox. Almost a zero for this game. Still not a believer on his health.

Summers did not play. Hmm, JJ and White, and Rip did not dress. Maybe I missed him out there at the end. Guess I will have to check. Anyway, between Summers and JMAX being available, CV playing is an atrocity. Play someone who can play D. Or at least wants to.

Can't thing of anything more nice to say, good nite all.
  4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Recap:
    Miami showed up, dominated us, and left in good spirits. The Pistons were able to practice a few plays that might come in handy the next time we play a sub .500 team. Also, the players were able to stretch their muscles and they were able to avoid serious injury while appearing to be playing hard.

Statistical Fluke:
    Tonight was the only time in the history of the Universe that the following will ever happen-
    1) Ben Gordon led an NBA team in rebounds
    2) Will Bynum led the same NBA team in blocked shots.

Other strange events:
    Ben Gordon and Austin Daye were both 6-13 from the field with 3 three pointers a piece.

TMac had 5 turnovers and no other Piston had more than 1.

Miami's big 3 were 2 Wade rebounds short of all having double doubles. And of course LeBron was 2 rebs short of a triple double and didn't seem to be pressing for it to happen (pure class).

One thing I'm 100% sure of. If you could have taken Rodman from that 34 rebound game and time traveled him into this game tonight, we would have destroyed them.
  5. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

TaS, I call the above the meaningless stats..
    and you can add these to yours:
    Once again our league leading productive bench outscored our starters 53-39.....or how about this one > the Heat had 18 of their 30 fast break points in the first half and the Pistons had a total 13 fast break points. Or how about this low lite...Pistons missed 8 layups and 8 three pointers in the first half... Or finally, Heat finish the last 4 mins of the second qtr on a 18-6 run to basically send Aretha Franklin home at halftime.

and finally the kisser....this was the 12th straight Piston loss to a team that dresses a guy name LeBron including the infamous Mike Curry uncoached sweep in 2009. The last time the Pistons beat LBJ was 11/19/2008........some of you weren't even PForum members yet.:sssh:

I watched this game at the sports bar and once I saw the Heat break 60 in the first half, I turned my attention to the friends who I had not seen in the past four years and we reminisced about our collegiate days back at EMU in the mid 70's and compared horror stories about our half grown kids...

I glanced up occasionally to see if Wade or Lebron would get knocked down and get carried off the court, but I guess the Pistons weren't physical enough...:yellowprison:
  6. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Pistons never bothered to even try playing with the Heat. They were either disinterested or too star-struck. This probably was one of the easiest road games for Miami this year.

From now on every time we play a team featuring LeBron, Prince must get a DNP-CD. Watching him pretending to guard LeBron is embarrassing. I don't know what kind of spell LeBron cast on Prince, but he just can't seem to even attempt to guard him any more.

This whole game was a disgrace. Q should've gone Byron Scott on their a... in the lockerroom.

On the plus side, it was nice of the Pistons to fold before the tipoff so the refs didn't have to make star calls to help the Heat.
  7. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Was it just me or did the Heat seem slightly more athletic than the Pistons?

Can Austin Daye become as good as Mike Miller? I will say that he was a killer once the game was over.

The Pistons played the best and worst teams record wise prior to this game. Rodney "Thanks Dad" Stuckey did not make a shot from the field in the 4th Q of either game despite playing substantial minutes. On most teams this would probably mean you are in danger of dropping down in the rotation, but on the Pistons it means you are now starting (as long as your name is Rod Stuckey). Nothing like a little accountability to build the morale of the team.

There was a great scene after Thanks Dad fouled James Jones out by the 3 pt line when he went for the shot fake and Coach Kuester came sprinting up the sideline yelling, "That's OK Rodney. That's OK. Good play. You still have a nicer helmet than all the other kids who have to share the league issued ones."

"If the game gets out of hand I'll get you out there early so you can rest like the star you are and I'll play the scrubs like the 4 time Defensive POY, the multiple All NBA Defensive Team selection, the former 6th man of the year or God forbid the 3 time All Star/leading playoff scorer in franchise history rotting away in street clothes at the end of the bench. You just keep being you baby!!!"

I really like Bad Back Wilcox these days, but how many missed dunks does he have this year? It's got to be around 20.
  8. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I switched over to the Lakers/Knicks game.
  9. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

Daye was the only highlight, other than Bynum running the point and doing a decent job setting up shots for a few minutes before starting to try and do it all by himself again. Seriously - can Q just tell him he's not allowed to shoot? I saw out there in the middle of the third quarter an actual, true-blue point guard, before he started to try and create offense on is own. This is not a guy that should be shooting jumpers, and who should only rarely attempt a foray into the lane.

If Bynum ever became a pass-first PG, the team would have the position figure out.

Back to Daye - he has impressed me the past couple games - by guarding opposing point guards. Justin Rogers pointed it out this morning, but I noticed against SA that his length might be too much for quick point guards to handle; Parker couldn't drive past him due to his length. I still think Daye should run the point a few times to see if he's capable of doing it. Having a 6'10" PG that is effective is almost unheard of, but I think he actually might have the skills to do it, especially defensively. I'll post on this in the main forum in a minute.

The rest of the team was worthless last night, though. Ugh. This season can't end fast enough.
  10. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Bynum looked for his own when his teammates where off. This loss had NOTHING to do with him, we're just not very good, however I do believe we've been playing .500 basketball since the lineup changes were made, .500 ball in the East would have us on par with the Knicks and fighting for the 6th playoff spot, and to do that with a young team would be a large step in the right direction, BUT to make the playoffs we need to play .600 ball from here on out and I don't think we're capable of doing that.
  11. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

We were a few points behind to start the 2nd quarter. With Bynum at point, we gave up a 0-10. Never got back into the game after that. If you want to imagine Bynum had nothing to do with that, go right ahead.
  12. kolay

kolay First Round Draft Pick

I think it was not Bynum's fault, Lee, watch the replay, it is our shooters including Daye, could not make three pointers and in transition, Eddie House and Mike Miller punished us from down town. You can also read
    Three-pointers: John Kuester's game plan was simple, but Detroit Pistons couldn't execute | MLive.com
  13. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

There is what I say, and what people say I say. I said Bynum had something to do with it. If you read my writeup, no way I stop with Bynum in the writeup. Then there is what people claim I said, which is that the loss was Bynum's fault. I never said that. I will say he certainly did not help matters.

And thanks for posting the link, I had not read that yet. I took time to correct his post with my comments.
  14. kolay

kolay First Round Draft Pick

Lee, he set up the three pointer very well, he did his job in the game, the team just can't make it. The shots were not only good looks, they are great looks.

I don't like Bynum,either. He make too many shot first decision, no defense most of time, but not this one. In recent games, I say he did a ok job. But hell, I want RIP back to the game.
  15. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Nobody can be expected to make more than a third of their 3 point shots, so that is a very poor excuse, in my opinion. Yes, like you, I want Rip back, and Stuckey playing backup point. There are lots of ways to go about this, maybe the simplest is to start Gordon and Daye along side TMAC, to give our starting unit shooters, and then have the old Stuckey, Rip, and Tay combo be the nucleus of our 2nd unit. Shifting Ben Wallace to that 2nd unit kind of completes the group - no practice curve to learn how to play as a team. And for now, lets say TMAC comes back in as the power forward later in the 2nd quarter, while Daye starts the 2nd quarter at power forward.

Starters, TMAC running the point, with Daye and Gordon, Monroe up front with JMAX.
  16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

We were down 4 when he came in and down 4 more by the time he left. In other words, we got back 6 points out of the 0-10 start that you reference during that same stint. Also keep in mind that Bynum was guarding Dwyane Wade while Chris Bosh and Mike Miller were also in during that 2nd quarter. If Will is -4 against those guys, then he's done his job and Stuckey can come back in to save the day by roughing up Miami's starting unit later in the quarter.

But, it didn't quite play out like that as the team went -13 in the last 5:30 of the 2nd quarter after Bynum was taken out of the game. We went from 8 down to 21 down... which is sort of a big difference.

Bynum ended the game at +6 (2nd best on the team) and TMac was -20 with 5 times more turnovers than anyone else on our team (matched up against Mario Chalmers).

Did Bynum have a rough 2nd quarter? Not really. He was 1-1 from the field, 2-2 from the FT line, he had an assist and a blocked shot. His teammates were 4-13. Bynum was in "try to get your teammates going" mode... which he didn't stray from. 5 assists vs. 4 shot attempts. Stuckey had 4 assists and 12 shot attempts for a shoot-first comparison. Nobody else on the team had even half as many assists as shot attempts.

I sense some leg strength envy going on here.
  17. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Wonder if Q had left BenGo to start and brought Stuckey in off the bench would we have kept control of that second qtr instead of letting it get out of hand. I mean he cleaned up on the Cavs Scrubs earlier in the week and if he had been 75% of that we could have been with singles digits instead of a 23 point deficit...

Assume the crowd was biggest weeks, but how many were still around after the third qtr with temps below 15 degrees awaiting them?:cold:
  18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

They were toying with us and could have crushed us at will at any point in time. Lebron was absolutely on cruise control and he didn't even push for the triple double because it didn't matter to him.

Every time he could have gone to the rack, he just shot a lazy J.

Maybe we'll challenge them in 3 years or so, but we're not even close right now.

I'm still savoring that victory over the Cavs.
  19. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

This team was able to take it to the line against San Antonio Spurs. The Heat are not a better team than the Spurs. There is no reason why they couldn't compete.

These guys just didn't believe that they had a chance. They gave up before the tip off. There were a ton of sloppy plays and stupid turnovers in the 1st quarter. Big Z got 6 quick points because our bigs looked like they never heard the term "box out". We were lucky that the Heat didn't run up a 20 point lead before the 1st quarter was up. Then, Q messed up the rotations and didn't react. Putting Bynum to guard Wade is the definition of insanity.

We never showed up for this game. I can deal with losing while putting up a fight. This was just a miserable loss. It's disgusting. It's a disgrace.
  20. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Please note, Bynum was minus for the game at the halfway point of the 4th quarter, where we found ourselves down 24 points. They had us mercied and backed off, allowing Bynum to gain 10 meaningless points at the end of the game. Please note, as I see the next poster did, having a backcourt of Bynum and Gordon guard Wade and Miller is insane.

Also please note, Kuester's backwards idea that an effective offense leads to good defense forgets the fact you got to play good D first, to create your fast breaks, which is the most effective offense. Kuester can't coach, or he would never put a totally inept player in the game like Bynum, nor CV on defense. And certainly not at the same time.