vs Memphis Grizzlies Wednesday January 27 7:30 pm

Discussion in 'January 2010' started by roscoe36, Nov 3, 2009.

1. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

whereas, im just the 'master' of my domain! LOL:pound:

2. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yeah a little more passing to those bench guys who shot 59% would have possibly got you a win, but the hidden agenda appears to just get the high draft choice and I hate to say it, but even some of the players seem to be in on the sham.

Picks between 12-16 have not bode well for the Pistons lately or made a big difference other than Rodney Stinkey.

3. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Rip and Tay need heavy minutes to keep their numbers up for trade bait.

4. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Another loss. With Nets winning at the same time Wall better start looking for apartments in Bremerton. :)

Nice finish by JMax. Give some of Tays minutes to Daye please. It wont be easier to trade a injured Tay (or with his record this season I might be wrong here) and Daye needs to play!

5. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

We had the monster JMAX tonight. He almost won the game for us. He did a real good job defending Z-Bo. JMAX/BBen up front is an intense front court defensively. We could've pulled off the win if CV or JJ was playing SF instead of Tay in the 4th.

Even though Rip's contract is a heavier burden, and we are loaded at the SG position, Rip's more valueable to this team than Tay at the moment.

Tay's unproductivity is a direct result of this odd obsession with starting him and playing him starter's minutes. He was very active and effective the first 5 minutes of each half. After that, just sorta faded away. If we play him just 12-15 minutes a night, he can be a good asset at the moment. Either Q is royally screwing it up, or there's some sort of top-down directive to drive Tay to the ground.

I saw us executing some really nice offensive schemes, but we're finishing with the wrong guy. There was one in the third quarter where Stuckey drove hard to the rim after a BBen screen, causing the D to collapse and in a beautiful pass he switched the ball to the weak side corner for a wide-open, uncontested 3 pointer. Unfortunately, that player happened to be Rip and he bricked it. Similar play two more times in the game, both finding a wide-open shooter for a 3pt attempt from the top of the key for two more bricks. One by Rip, the other by CV. Put Gordon in those plays and he would've hit at least one of those. But, inexplicably before Gordon was injured they would still run that play for CV, JJ or Rip when Gordon's in the game.

Another thing I noticed along the same lines is that this team seems to execute offensive sets seemingly without being aware of the strengths and capabilities of each individual player. I saw plays where the ball ended up in BBen or JMAX's hands who were in a great position to score. Except that they were 15-18' away from the basket. You'd think CV would be at the receiving end of those plays, but he's hanging out at the 3pt line a-la Sheed. A lot of head scratching.

Stuckey had a really good game. Overplaying Tay and Big Ben was what cost us this game. Both had nothing left in the tank during crunch time.

6. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Stuckey can only reach the next level when he improves his jump shot. Again, he gets the ball late where a jumper is necessary and doesn't deliver. He can be a very good player if he can be more automatic with his jumper. I do not worry about the other aspects of his game.

Wilcox is showing limitations unless his poor play is due to injury.

Maxiel is starting to give real NBA minutes more often, good. Funny, Ben's offense is actually better now than before. Otherwise, our bigs again were overmatched: this time by Gasol and Randolph.

Rip would be a real asset to a contender with that jump shot. But he is not a three baller and without Gordon, the Pistons are again ranked as one of the worst three ball teams in the league.

I don't agree with Joe. We know what this team is about and it is sorely lacking a power forward and a center.

7. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Stuckey's 11 assists and 1 t.o. must have been of the bad non PG variety.

8. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

the saddest thing in this loss is that most of the team played well ( lil' more/less) but they still lost. The scariest thing is that even Tay did not sink the boat as he usually does but the boat sank even w/o Tay direct initiative.

9. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I forgot to extend the DVR so my recording cut off with a little over a minute to go. Looks like I didn't miss much though.

10. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

LMBO! Again, I'm watching objectively the whole month of January before I make comments about The Quintessential One.

That was a fantastic game and very entertaining. Too many TO's early on, too many missed FT' and way too many missed layups. Pistons could have won, Pistons should have won, but give credit to the team for staying focused on the bigger goal........Wall, Turner or Johnson.

Last, how good has Jason Maxiel been over these last handful of games? I gave the guy a ton of flack early on (that he deserved BTW) but as of late he has been making some very solid contributions. Max has really settled into his role as Ben's backup, a consistent role with consistent mins is really paying off.

11. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I watch these games and think to myself, I am a Running Rodney Stuckey hater. I must be, he's out here making plays, hitting some tough shots etc and for some reason I don't like him.

Then I see he's shooting 6-17 (and this is before he bottomed out). On most teams it is a good thing when your franchise guard picks up a stray loose ball 8' from the hoop for an open jumper. The Pistons are not most teams.

The Griz are pretty good. If they ever figure out how to defend they could be something. I think OJ Mayo deserves a lot of credit for deferring to Rudy Gay.

They are hinting in the papers that Max ran out of gas late in the game. It is not the first time they have claimed that. A nice stretch for him though especially the shooting.

JJ did have a nice post up on Mayo that we haven't seen before and a good tip in also.

Why does Stuckey always look like he's on the verge of keeling over in the 2nd half? He looks like a fat guy running at the Y on his lunch break.

12. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Here's what Q says about The Quintessential One:
    PISTONS: Postgame Quotes - January 27, 2010

I'll discuss the significance in February.

On The Quintessential One, I hear ya.
    On OJ Mayo, dude impressed me big time last night, with Z-Bo, Gasol and Rudy out there I think that he is content with picking his spots and playing an efficient game so that his team has the best chance to win, that's impressive for a 2nd year player who left college after 1 year, most guys in his position are playing for their next contract.

13. Ernie the Slow Adult

On OJ Mayo, dude impressed me big time last night, with Z-Bo, Gasol and Rudy out there I think that he is content with picking his spots and playing an efficient game so that his team has the best chance to win, that's impressive for a 2nd year player who left college after 1 year who's been getting paid since high school.

Very impressive.

14. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

Seems to me that we could have used Kwame to slow Gasol down a bit last night. We need to use Kwame against these tall and heavy centers. All we need him to do is make things tough on the offensive end for them. If he can draw fouls underneath on offensive it would be a bonus.

At least we should have given him a chance. 10 minutes from him may have made the difference in the game.

Daye has got to get on the court. Right now I don't think the coach is sure where to play him. I am not a fan of him playing the 2 just to get court time. Let him play the 3 and let JJ move to the 4. Put them both on the court together and let's see what their combined energy can do for us.

We have the peices to be competitive every night; we just need to get them healthy.

I keep watching the games and think of the Leecaps. When Chucky comes in the ballgame would we be seeing Bynum or Bengo instead at that point. Would we be better off.

I am not a Will fan but have to beleive that if he shares the ball more then he has done in the past; we will finish games a lot better. Right now we are fighting to stay in games early but lose ground when we go to the bench. If we could just keep pace when we go to the pine it will put pressure on the opposition for 48 minutes instead of 30.

15. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Pretty good summary I think from Langlois...

But down three points midway through the third, they went four straight possessions without a point and came out the other side trailing by 11. They weren’t finished trading jabs – they led by two after a Rodney Stuckey jumper with under three minutes left – but the Pistons, like all struggling teams, lack a knockout punch these days.

Those three-, four-minute dry spells doom them. Without the capacity for smothering defense of the Ben Wallace-Rasheed Wallace 2004 Pistons, they can’t count on locking down and holding teams to 20 percent, 12-point quarters. Lacking the chemistry of the Chauncey Billups-Rip Hamilton offense of their 64-win 2006 season, they can’t rely on grinding a team under their boot with deadly execution.

So it came down to those last two minutes, the way so many NBA games do, and like so many times this star-crossed, injury-plagued season, the Pistons just didn’t make enough plays to win, losing 99-93. Yup, they didn’t score after that Stuckey jumper gave them the lead with 2:56 to play. Memphis scored the last eight points – in fact, Marc Gasol scored the last eight points, six of them at the foul line, as the Pistons missed eight shots over four possessions despite getting looks John Kuester would take every time.

16. Brap

Brap Starter

Maxiell has played well lately - particularly on D, muscling up against taller big men inside. It would be nice if we could depend on him as a backup center. He'll never be starting quality I think. But as a 10-15 mpg energy guy, perhaps 20-25 on nights where he's got it going, he could still be useful backing up a legitimate center.

BTW, I was drooling last night over Gasol. Memphis got a lot of crap from everyone when they traded Pau Gasol, but his brother seems to be turning out to be a hell of a player. I'm not sure that he won't be better than Gasol, and more valuable since he's a legitimate 5 and Pau is to physically weak to handle that position.

What else did Memphis get in that trade - Crittenton has turned out to be the ultimate suck, but I think they got draft picks too.

17. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Yeah,
    At the time everybody was talking about how that was perhaps the most lopsided trade in NBA history. It seems to be working out for both teams now.

18. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Aaron McKie and two 1st round draft picks (2008 and 2010).

LAKERS: Lakers Acquire Gasol From Grizzlies

19. Ernie the Slow Adult

20. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yeah, only one.