vs Memphis Grizzlies Friday October 22 7:30 pm

Discussion in 'October 2010' started by roscoe36, Oct 19, 2010.

1. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

THANK YOU!!!! If he was succeeding at running ANY kind offense (apples, oranges, bananas, kiwi's....whatever) I'd put a sock in it....BUT HE AIN'T!!! Again, the guy is a legit NBA talent, he can really be a tremendous asset if used properly.

There were several times last night where he REFUSED to kick out to a guy shooting over 50% from the arc.....wtf????
  2. Brap

Brap Starter

Like you say - it should be a healthy active debate. Sure hope I win it.
  3. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

I don't think Wallace is the best player on our roster, but with the roster we got he sure is the MVP.

So do I! :)
  4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It's gotta be good to have Ben around. Especially at his price. Much better value than Wilcox.
  5. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

Nope not the best player by far, but he's the only one that fills the role he does, Max hit and miss and to a lesser constant then Ben does some of the same things. The team, just is a better team when he's on the floor.
  6. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Why isn't Ben Wallace the Pistons best player? Who is better? (Once his offense develops I think he's going to be one of the best young big men in the L!)

Joe had 20 million or so in cap space as well as a draft that was loaded in PG's to reshape the position so I don't know why folks are acting like the Stuckey/Bynum poo poo platter is the Pistons only choice at the 1. Bynum was a FA this summer and Joe chose to bring him back.

As bad as most of his moves have been lately I shudder to think what Joe might offer J Rod once his rookie deal expires.
  7. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Lets say you had five Ben Wallaces, and that pretty much comprised your team. Another 3 Ben Wallaces on the Bench.

You could never score. Ever. Never.

Fast breaks would mean the other team scores with ease, as Ben Wallace ain't built for running.

Ben Wallace is a part of a good team. He does what he does. To compare him to another player, and say who is better - why?

Now, lets say Daye was playing shooting guard for us, and could defend other shooting guards great. And of course, could score over opposing shooting guards great to. And he was a big star. Does that make him the best player? You got all Daye's on your team, and you can't stop NBA power forwards and centers from scoring inside.

Who your best player is really just does not matter. And even who your most important player is relative to what the team can do without that player. Ben Wallace is needed more if we can't rebound, or if we can't play good interior D. If nobody else can bring the ball up the floor, then a guy like Bynum would be pretty important, etc. Joe and Hammonds got it right when they built the 04 team. They looked at the team saw what talents were missing, and got the right talent in so they could win.

We could argue all day long about who was better between Rip, Tay, Ben Wallace, Rasheed Wallace, and Billups that year. All good candidates really, but what won it all was the fact that together, they had all the tasks covered.
  8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

8 Ben Wallaces on 1 team?

That would be awesome.

With LB coaching that mess, you'd have yourself a championship. With Flip Saunders coaching it, I'm not sure what you'd have.
  9. Mogilny

The only thing I can imagine more awesome than 8 Ben Wallace on a team is 8 Bill Laimbeer. Or 9 Ben Wallace.
  10. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Lets hope that at least half of the 8 shoot better than 75% from the FT line...
  11. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Stop IT!! Ya killin me..... :pound::pound::pound:

Jogging Rodney --> Joggernaught --> J Rod.......this stuff is classic material.
  12. Ernie the Slow Adult

I really like the Joggernaught. That is amongst the best I've ever seen 'round here.
  13. Mogilny

Nice to see some appreciation. I felt the delivery was substandard but couldn't find the energy to rephrase.
  14. Ernie the Slow Adult

I don't disagree with what you are saying Lee. (Except the Austin Daye part - that team would be so versatile it would have no problems filling out all 5 positions.)

My point was I don't think there is anybody on this team that does their thing better than or at a higher level than Ben does what he does. (I'll exclude CG and his sucking for now which he is great at.)

Old age is Ben's problem and it may not be wise having him earn time that could be given to younger players on this team (which is what I think your argument is), but Ben in the bursts he can still give is an elite player in the NBA. The rest of the Pistons, excluding Rip and I guess Tay and Gordon to some extent, can not make that claim.
  15. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Nope, its not age. Ben Wallace could never run fast for long. He is basically a body builder, not a runner. But yes, he is getting old, and if he plays too many minutes, he will be worthless come playoffs. Which I doubt we will get to if Ben Wallace plays over 25 minutes per game. (Cause if he does, he won't end up playing enough games.)
  16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Body builder with some serious hops in his prime. What a unique player.

And the best part about him is his strong will.
  17. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

I don't think Hamilton "stabilizes" anything. He's a follower, not a leader, though he likes to think of himself as a leader on this team, even though he lacks the skills necessary to be one.
  18. Brap

Brap Starter

Having a guy execute plays with precision, like he does, and like Tay does - that's what I mean by a guy who'll help stabilize our offense and team. We need guys to be in the positions they're supposed to be in, to help when they are supposed to, because we've got a lot of young guys who aren't as dependable.
  19. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Dad, is that you?

:winner_first_h4h: