vs Memphis Grizzlies Friday October 22 7:30 pm

Discussion in 'October 2010' started by roscoe36, Oct 19, 2010.

1. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It was reported last week that he would not play until the regular seasons first game....

Oh by the way I watching the post game commercials.....does Bill Bonds wear a full wig or is that a hair transplant??
  2. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

This is a blatant exaggeration. I am sure I have not passed 300,000,000 yet.
  3. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Oh yes, I covered it. Tall rotations are something I always do.
  4. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Lots of injuries. JMAX resting a sore knee. Bynum a hammy. TMAC still trying to regain strength in his legs. Wilcox, who has never played healthy for us yet, who knows. JJ is out for the season recovering from surgery on his achilles. White out for at least another month with a broken foot. Add to that, Gordon gets hit hard in the shoulder tonight and can't go in the 2nd half. Down to nine healthy players tonight, just 8 in the 2nd half.

Memphis was without Rudy Gaye, otherwise, they were healthy, and looking to go 8-0 in the preseason. They were not just playing a throw away game in the preseason. Pretty serious game.

We started Stuckey, Rip, Tay, Daye, and Ben Wallace. Our starters held their own and more. Ben Wallace was everywhere on D. Daye was canning shots from everywhere. Tay had a pretty decent game going. Rip knocked down some shots, and as a unit, the defense managed to hold enough to make the offense count. For sure, we were light inside, and Memphis scored way too many paint points tonight, but again, against our starters, it was not too much.

Defensively, for the first half, Gordon was the backup point. Offensively, it was Tay who took the ball up the floor as the backup point. Not great, and perhaps Kuester left his makeshift unit out there a bit too long in the 4th quarter. We had Tay and Daye in the backcourt, Summers, CV, and Ben Wallace up front. A very tall unit. They did well for a while, but hey, the magic ran out and their play became too disorganized. Stuckey came in and we rallied. Looked like we were going to win. They made a late 3 that tied the game and oops. We lost. But hey, just preseason. In an actual game, Ben Wallace would have been playing the clutch minutes down the stretch, not Monroe.

Summers did fine on D and added a bit of offense. Monroe looked passable, which is pretty good for a rookie who still has yet to play his first regular season game. CV scored some. Some inside at least. Defense seemed a bit sluggish.

Stuckey, despite his shortcomings as a passing point guard, can score. He hit several outside shots and got inside plenty for the game. And his defense is solid for the most part. With a good backup point guard, we win this one tonight. And no, I don't mean Bynum. I believe Memphis's guards would have basically ate him up.

Have a good nite everyone. GO PISTONS!!!!!
  5. linwood

linwood All-Star

I guess I got ahead of yourself. :pound:

Sometimes I can be impatient.
  6. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

actually had a good turnout at the palace - probably more than a lot of regular season games last year. had a good time.

it's difficult to analyze this game because of the different lineups and lack of fluidity. i mean, essentially we can't get stops and we have relatively poor defense and difficulty rebounding. it'd be nice to have jerebko.

daye continues to look good. the team struggled without any sort of PG in the game, and once stuckey came back in the 4th quarter we went on a run and pulled ahead. sure i didn't like his drive at the end of the game but i thought he played well overall. everyone else was just a pile of meh.

i don't think monroe has a low motor but he seems stiff. like if a ball is on the ground he seems incapable of actually bending down to get it. just looks like slow motion. he just needs to be more aggressive. on a layup he went soft and missed rather than playing for contact. i think he'll turn out to be a solid player but he definitely needs time, experience, and an increase in strength (and agility).

everything else was just kind of blah. again can't get stops and late in the game we were horrible at getting back in transition.
  7. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

You guys covered it. I must say I was irritated beyond comprehension to see Daye having to fight with Z-Bo, but they didn't kill us too bad with that match up and Austin dropped enough points offensively to give us the advantage. The biggest problem is that fighting with 265 pound PF's takes a toll on him offensively, it's like a boxer that takes a bunch of body shots in a fight.

Stuckey could be a real force off the bench, I think if we took the responsibility of running the offense and leading the team off of him, it would free him up to really play his game............let me say this, Stuckey is better suited to do what the Pistons pay Will Bynum to do. Stuckey is the perfect guard in a 3 guard rotation, I think he could do for us what Jamal Crawford does for Atlanta or even what Manu does for San Antonio.

In terms of Monroe, If Old man Will Robinson was here he'd say, "put 'em back in the oven, he ain't ready yet."

This year I think I'm going to focus on what Charlie Villanueva does that actually helps us win a game, nothing he ever does seems to lead to a win, just meaningless numbers.

Max will beat out Monroe for PT this season barring injury.
  8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

There wasn't a chat because I was working and doing the Keeper draft.

I am going to be working a lot this season which means I won't be around to take care of chat.

Volunteers can PM me.
  9. Brap

Brap Starter

I only saw the first half of the game. Both teams played with the intensity of a regular season game. I thought Stuckey looked great - his ability to defend and stay in front of point guards is a major asset for us. And his penetration skills just obliterate smaller point guards like Conley. I continue to totally disagree with those who say he can't handle the point or that he can't shoot. He's the best player on our roster, and I think he'll prove to be one of the best young PG's in the league.

I'm very impressed with Daye. The fact that he went head to head against Zach Randolph, who started off pounding the boards, and that we won the first quarter and Zach really didn't have a good statistical game - that says a lot about the kid, IMO. Pairing Daye with Ben Wallace, and 3 other guys who are long at their positions (Tay, Rip and Stuckey) sure seems like the right decision by Kuester, since that's the best we can do to protect and support Daye. Also having Daye in there gives us a great 3 pt threat and that means more room for Rip in the interior and for Stuckey to penetrate. But Gordon in for Rip and we'll really spread the floor out. Put in CV for Tay, slide Daye over to the 3, and we'll spead the floor as well or better than any team in the NBA - especially later in the season when Monroe starts acclimating to the league and he's in for Ben Wallace.

I think it's very clear that Daye's teammates are making it a priority to get him the ball when he's open. If we didn't have the deep pool of primary scoring options we do (Stuckey, Bynum, Gordon, Rip, CV, Tay, McGrady) I'd predict Daye would average 20 points a game this season. He's that good offensively. But on this roster, guys will take turns being the 1, 2 or 3 option in the offense, depending on matchups and who gets hot.

The other guy who impressed me was CV. He's a great offensive talent, and to my eyes he does look more athletic. Off the bench he's going to maim a lot of backup PF's. CV and Gordon and Bynum and, ultimately Monroe and maybe even McGrady, off the bench is sensational firepower.

Concerns: 1) health. If Bynum keeps getting hurt - the kid is wound so damn tight muscularly that that worries me -- then whenever Stuckey goes out of the game, we really suffer at the point. Tay can't do it - he was awful last night at the point, and Daye is just a wee bit busy at PF, and McGrady is hurt, and Gordon and Rip absolutely can't play there.

2) defense and rebounding. When the only big bodies we can bring off the bench are our 20 year old rookie and Maxiell, and the only big body we start is Wallace - we really need to add a big to the roster. Too bad they don't grow on trees.
  10. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

LMAO.......I DECIDED TO STICK with Tombstone...and
    "im a daisy if I do!"

Also, the game was on a Sports HD channel I have in my sports pack...sorry.
  11. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

NOT THAT>>>i think he meant the last play of the game...should have another play in our repetoire...like Summers getting blocked on a 3pt shot.:pound:
  12. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

I liked the promise I saw last night.... our biggest plus/minus right now is this team is dependant on Big Ben, the team looks so good with him out there, and soooo bad without him out there. If we had the ben of 6-8 years ago I honestly think we could be a top 4 team in the east. Problem is we can't play him 44 mins a night like we need him to right now. How well we do this year is totally dependant on how fast our rookie grows up and how well max can do over the long haul. Max has looked great for periods of a season, well he has to be the man from day one thru the whole season this year.

This year will be fun to watch most the time I think, drive us crazy at other times... The goal for the team is to limit Ben no matter the cost. If we overplay him this season we might get a few more victories but its not going to help going forward.
  13. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

When will this be when he's 35? It's his 4th year already.

Daye at least competes no matter what position you play him at. He will get mauled by foul trouble if he starts at the 4. CG will get major minutes if he's the 3rd 4 behind Daye and Monroe.

I agree with you on Stuckey also. Think how less effective someone like Jason Terry would be if he were forced into a position strictly due to his size. Joe loves forcing guys into spots where they are not comfortable and hoping for the best.

That is outstanding Mogilny, nice job!
  14. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

We used to have the Billups jack up a 30-footer at the buzzer play, but we don't have that one anymore...
  15. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

the force is "there is no better player at PG spot" so coach can only choose between bynum and stuckey.

Ppl tend to forget it.
  16. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Well.........I guess we'll have some spirited debates where we disagree vehemently on this.

And how impressed were you with our 20 year old???? You didn't mention his play (or lack thereof) in your writeup. Again, I'm not saying that he sucks, I'm not calling him a bust, but RIGHT NOW if I'm the coach Jason Maxiel is ahead of him on the depth chart. Speaking of Max, folks from what I've witnessed from Max this pre-season and the end of last season, he's just as good as Ben Wallace defensively right now on a night to night basis, now grant it, Ben will have those flashback nights and moments where he goes off circa 2003-04, but on avg, the two are equal......that says more about how good Ben (still) is more than it says about Maxiel.

I call BULL!!!! That's Joe's choice, he could have went after guys like Ridnour or Sessions but chose not to, he still thinks Stuckey is a PG and he isn't!!!! It's not his game. The most frustrating thing I see is that we're not playing to the strengths of our young guys. Daye Vs. Z-Bo.....in pre-season it worked but in the regular season Zac would've toasted Austin.
  17. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

Since we arn't winning a title this year... I am really willing to give Stuckey one last year to show if he's the guy to be the 1 for this team... but I think he is for sure a player to be part of the future, right now the more I watch him the more he reminds me of Vinnie... he even has added in the drive pull up lean in 10 footer that vinnie would line drive in.

This team needs a pass first point guard I think to balance the team out, whether its a starter or the first guard of the bench I am willing to listen and see how it falls out.

I think that Monroe is the real deal... but he isn't going to be the man this year or probably next year, but are we going to play for a title this year or next? nope so thats ok... let him learn from Ben and let him keep taking baby steps. I think that while Max may be better atm then monroe, monroe is going to end up better in the long run so I think he has to get his mins... unlike with Darko, we can force feed mins because were not contending right now. If Daye is going to get mins at the PF then we need trim the fat and CV probably needs to step up big time or be sent packing.

With the make up with the team, I can see everybody fiting in (I know I said CV needs to go :P) except for one of our SG's. Joe really is going to have to move Rip, and I hate to say that... I hate long time players traded away, but when he rought in Gordon he really set us up with two players that can't play together.
  18. Brap

Brap Starter

It takes big men a couple/few/several seasons (usually) to learn to play. Monroe is 20 and he's highly skilled, but he's not strong enough and not experienced enough. Here's why I think he's going to be a real asset for us, ultimately. His skill set is obvious - he's a fabulous passer for his position, he can shoot, and it looks to me like he has the instincts and footwork to excel in the low post as he gains experience and the game slows down. I've read that he has a great attitude, great work ethic and excellent BB IQ. Those attributes make me believe in him

But I agree with you - it's highly questionable how well he'll do this season. I'm hoping for a good year from him, but I don't think that's predictable. More likely, he'll really struggle, and you will see Maxiell and Wilcox taking minutes from him. And year, we are way way way too dependant on Ben Wallace.
    Originally Posted by raxrets [​IMG]
    the force is "there is no better player at PG spot" so coach can only choose between bynum and stuckey.

Ppl tend to forget it.

I call "Bull" on your calling "Bull." [​IMG] Our offense doesn't ask our PG to be a traditional pure point. It asks them to bring the ball up the court - and Stuckey is as good as Billups used to be in that regard, and get us into our offense. The offense is initiated from a lot of spots on the court,and by a lot of different positions. Maybe you don't like that style of play, but that isn't Stuckey's fault - he's playing the position the way it's designed.

It's an argument where you are saying it's "apples" and I'm saying it's "oranges". If Stuckey were running your apples offense, then his stats would suggest you're right about him. But he's in fact running an oranges offense, and inside of that context he's looking a hell of a lot better. Now, that said, he absolutely has to step up his performance a lot. He's in his 4th season, his first where he's had the same coach and system. And even though the team is in a lot of flux, Stuckey really does need to step up. If he doesn't do that this year, I'll be seriously considering joining those of you with the opinion that he's really a SG and that we need to change his role on the team. If that happens, I think it's a big time setback for the organization.
  19. Brap

Brap Starter

The issue with Ben and Rip playing together is that both of them are weak at running the offense if they are asked to do that more than occassionally. They each turn the ball over way too much to have that be a good plan. So if you play them together, it's turnover city.

However, in the long term, it's not so bad to keep Rip around. Next season, he'll be very tradeable by the trading deadline, because he'll effectively have an expiring contract because his last year is only partially guaranteed. His team can buy him out for $3,000,000 from that year. So, if we are smart enough to wait, we can use Rip's experience to stabilize this young team, and then trade him to a contender when his value is high and his contract is favorable.
  20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Your oranges offense was 29th in the NBA last year.

[​IMG]