vs LA Lakers Wednesday November 17 7:30 pm

Discussion in 'November 2010' started by roscoe36, Oct 19, 2010.

1. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Wow. You didn't just jump off the bandwagon. You put a brick on the gas pedal and aimed it toward a cliff on your way out.

:MusicBigGrin:

(But I agree... He seems overly concerned about not getting blown by that he doesn't always challenge jump shots as hard as you'd like)

I still think he's pretty darn low on the "problem" list of this team.
  2. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

That's cool if you're a center, but when you're a guard, we kinda need ya to get a hand in a guys face on a jumper, Young50 basically allows them WIDE OPEN jumpers in their comfort zones. Playing pick up ball I concede a lot of jumpers like that too, I basically look at a guy taking a long jumper and say to myself, "no way he makes that", I think like that because it's somebody taking a shot that I can't make......it seems as if the Joggernaught thinks the same way.

A list that seems to get longer with each passing moment.

Oh and Ben Gordon was high up on the TOTALLY SUCKED list tonight too, I think he had more TO's than made fg's.
  3. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

We need a coach, as we don't have one at present.

Kuester made no plans toward winning the game. He only continued to play non-sensical rotations; and, as pointed out, even Rip not playing did not translate into Daye playing more at small forward or shooting guard. (Although he did play some shooting guard, that was negated by Tay playing at power forward - where you could argue Daye was actually the power forward.)

Bad plan 1) Kuester again had no plans to play Monroe in this game. Monroe did finally get in for extended 4th quarter garbage time.

Bad plan 2) Daye started at power forward, and rather quickly had to sit with foul trouble. Ben Wallace meanwhile could not handle Gasol at all, and had no help in Daye. Worse, Daye got replaced by CV, even less defense there.

Bad plan 3) Ben Wallace being left out to fry, getting no help to double team Gasol. Yes, there was time. Gasol ain't that fast on his moves. Nice try there by the announcers to cover for bad coaching.

Bad plan 4) Rebounding. The team is totally unorganized in regards to offensive rebounding. It takes teamwork to coordinate who is suppose to get in position to contend for the offensive rebound when the shot goes up. The Pistons have zero coordination on this.

Bad plan 5) The offense. When things got tuff, the team quit playing as a team. One ill advised jumper after another. Yes, until they got well behind, they seemed to be on the same page. But again, when they got behind, they just quit playing with any intelligence on offense. Its like as a team, everyone just quit caring.

Bad plan 6). Yes indeed, with Blake as their backup point, Bynum actually had somebody he could guard. But hey, what if we had TMAC as our backup point? Could Blake guard TMAC? We can overmatch other teams in terms of size on the court. Just a choice Kuester will not make.

Bad plan 7). How is it that Rip disrespects the team by getting thrown out at the start of the game. Don't tell me Rip has not figured out you can't disrespect the refs anymore and get away with it. Maybe having a coach who could keep his cool would set a good example.

Ok, the game started out with the Pistons letting the Lakers just stroll up to where they wanted to go and hit a shot. No pressure on the ball. And Kuester, not having his players under control at all, had to actually call a timeout just to inform his players basketball fundamentals. How can the coaching be that bad? How could this not have been covered in the pre-game planning. Oh, what planning? My bad.

With Daye, very predictably, going out with early foul trouble - as he is in no way a power forward - Kuester had the perfect opportunity to play Monroe along side Ben Wallace. See how it works. You know, having Monroe actually play at his natural position of power forward for the first time this year. But no, he called on CV instead. Never mind it was not offense we needed at that point - it was defense. Having Monroe come in to give a taller guy to guard Gasol seemed like a no-brainer. If only we had a coach.

We did at least start the game clearing the defensive glass ok. On the rare occasion we made them miss a shot. The team eventually went into complete disorganization though.

TMAC made another one of his impressive shots. Way too little. Can't blame him though as he is recovering from that knee thing. We got a scare in this one with TMAC going down injured. But it was just somebody fell on his leg. No permanent damage and he eventually got back into the game. But hey, why? With us down that much, and Rip out, why not use the opportunity to play Daye at small forward or shooting guard?

Can't say Bynum had a bad game really. Just added no organization to the team. I believe the more we use TMAC as the point,the more organized this team would get. Can't hurt to try it.

The good. This was the 3rd game in 4 nites. Always bad news, and therefore a perfectly good excuse for very poor play. Still, just an excuse - not acceptable at all. If a coach has no good plans to begin with, and can't get his team to play a whole game smartly, well, that brings us back to point one - we need a coach.

Wilcox played, did nothing to show he is actually healthy. What non-sense is going on there I would not know. Its an insult though to Summers to not dress in favor of a player totally unable to contribute.

More good news. The Lakers have left town not to return again this year. But no, the mighty Lakers being in town is no excuse for the team to start treating a game like its a scrimmage and just time to take some shooting practice. Fans at the Palace deserve effort. 48 minutes worth.

I see a lot of criticism of Stuckey. But hey, he was about the only entertainment for Piston fans for this game, scoring often at the basket. Stuckey is not the problem.

One more point, again on rebounding. If your players can't make a little effort toward looking for an offensive rebound, and still have enough energy to hustle down the floor for transition D, sit em down and put in fresh players who can show the hustle. And yes, transition D is important - but the less you contest the offensive rebound, the more fast breaking you encourage for the other team. Good offensive rebound strategy tends to pin the other team under their basket, putting a lot of effort into gathering the defensive board.
  4. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

this team is so bad, I don't even get mad at them. Bigs that can't dunk, guards that can't shoot and are undersized. JoeD somehow managed to get players that are unable to do what everyone can; it takes 3 Pistons to make only a almost complete player, that says alot.
    If you combine BenGo (Shot) with Stuckey (penetration skills), Rip (size and midrange Jumper) and Will Bynum (speed), you have a very good guard that can't dunk.
    If you combine Monroe (alleged passing skills), Big Ben (defense and heart), JMax (dunking) and CV (3pt shooting) you have a very good big that has no post game.
    This is just ridiculous.
    There is no low post thread and no penetrating guard (super collider is ok at that, but c'mon, don't even think of comparing him to guys like Westbrook) - things that are essential to win in this league.
  5. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Would have to agree with Ralphi. A guy like Westbrook gets to the rack under much more control than Stuckey, and is able to finish better because of that. He's also able to manage the flow of the game, and half court offense quite a bit better. Last year I compared Stuckey to Jamal Crawford and get jumped all over, but I still think Crawford is a better player, with a better shot. Maybe defensively in the post and face up with the ball in the offensive players hand, Stuck is better, but I see Stuckey falling into that type of roll next season. Great spark off the bench, 25 minutes a game.
  6. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

It was startling to see the difference between how a good team like the Lakers defended the Pistons versus the dregs of the league that they had been playing. The Lakers took away everything the Pistons wanted to do on offense.

Watching the way they switched on all the pick and pops the Pistons were trying to run with CCG instead of having 2 dopes chase the ball over and over like we've seen for the last couple of weeks shows why they're the champs.

This was first game where it jumped out at me how bad the Pistons starting lineup is. We were talking yesterday about how Rip and Tay weren't passing the ball etc, but last nights game showed why.

Not having a low post option in the starting 5 really hurts them. Stuckey comes out and tries to run the point and pass the ball. This takes Daye out of the offense because he relies on getting open off of penetration. Tay and Rip are the only choices left after that.

There were multiple times last night when you could tell the logical move was to go inside after moving the ball but there was no one to go to.

Good to see Bad Back Wilcox get some run. I think he's been the missing piece for this group.
  7. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Some rather telling quotes from the Lakers

Phil Jackson
    Ouch...

Kobe Bryant
    We used to say that about other teams...
  8. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Westbrook really isn't any more efficient a scorer than Stuckey. He's shot in the low 40's his entire career, and even below 40% once. Is he really that much more under control going to the rim? Maybe he is, but that just means he's an even worse jump shooter than Stuckey is. I'd like to think that Rodney's percentages would be higher playing with Durant too. And his assists certainly would be.

Rondo's on another planet compared to Stuckey, but I'm not at all convinced that Westbrook is.
  9. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Did you all catch Arnie Kander's daughter during yesterday's game? I needed a frozen banana after that. :cheerleader:
  10. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

As I sit and think about last night I get angrier and angrier. I'm convinced that Dumars' hands are tied by Karen Davidson right now, there's just too much happening right now that he has NEVER tolerated in the past, that said I still think he's doing a poor job right now in spite of that.

For Kobe to get MVP chants in The Palace breaks my heart in ways most of you can't imagine. I consider the Lakers big time rivals, and for Detroiters to chant MVP and oooh and ahhh Kobe at the Palace.......... but then again most of the folks in the Palace aren't Detroiters, I pray this team goes Downtown so REAL DETROIT PISTON FANS can support this team, not these fair weather suburbanites who've never even heard of Fennis Dembo.

Next, for Phil Jackson to state the obvious about our effort should be enough to make Joe trade the whole team to The Flint Tropics for a Washing Machine, and Dryer to be named later. Q did against Boston and Tay had a hissy fit, now Phil has done it, now what............. is Tay going to question the coaching abilities of Phil "11 Rings" Jackson??????

I love this team, and I really want to go to the Palace and watch a few games this season, but I don't want to be in a place with a bunch of Fake Fans who don't even know anything about this team, nor do I want to extend financial support to inept management or to a team that won't FIGHT!!!! The Pistons team and org. don't have to do anything to get my Fanaticism, but they have to at least act like they care to get my money!
  11. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

The Lakers are just a better team than us right now.
  12. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

After last night my frustration goes waaaaaay beyond the hardwood. For another coach to notice and then actually say to the press, their guys looked like they weren't giving any effort...........inexcusable! For Piston fans to MVP Chant Kobe at the Ft line ........ inexcusable! At this point I'm almost mad at Bill Davidson for dying, heaven knows I'm already mad at him for marrying Karen and leaving her the team.
  13. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Laker fans were doing the "Kobe MVP" chant. Remember...we blew these guys away in 04' and Kobe still likes the revenge factor when he visits the Palace. LA fans probably got a nice package deal to come to the Palace to watch an easy victory against our slackers.

Remember also that Phil Jackson was the coach in 04' when the Pistons waxed his team. I think he enjoyed calling out our team because it's true...and because thats sweet revenge.

IMHO ...Joe and the coach have been undressed with such comments being made by an opposing coach. Many times a coach will tear apart his own players for effort... but an opposing coach....Wake up Joe and smell the [STRIKE]Darth[/STRIKE] coffee...
  14. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Truehoop shows Westbrook is as good a player as Bron so that means you claim Stuckey is as good as the reigning two-time MVP and, according to sources, THE BEST PLAYER IN THE UNIVERSE. Stuckey being the best player in the universe is just taking it to far!!!
  15. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Besides Rip, I thought the Pistons were trying hard last night. Perhaps I missed something. Who else was slacking?
  16. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

I don't think I've ever agreed with you more, KGREG. The situation last night (with fans in the Palace doing the MVP chant for Kobe, and the loudest cheers of the night came on LA's made baskets) reminds me of that game at the Boston Garden in 2007... when fans in Boston chanted MVP for Kobe. It's unthinkable how bad that is.
  17. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I was in the car today listening to the Lakers beat radio guys who said that Phil has basically blocked out the loss to the Pistons in 04, but Kobe still holds a grudge and that is one of the reasons why they wanted to get off to a good start and bury our guys before they had a chance to get any momentum and think they had a chance. With Ben, Tay and Rip still in Motown, he is basically taking it out on them ......which means its time to get rid of these guys.

Lakers rout the Pistons, 103-90, behind 33 points from Kobe Bryant - latimes.com

18. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I don't know if you can call it that bad.......I was at the Staples center last Friday night and although there were no chants for MVP (other than for Blake Griffin) the Pistons got loud cheers on every made basket and it has happen that way in every arena I have attended and seen the play in from Orlando to Dallas to Oakland where the Warriors play. Pistons may not be as global as the Lakers but they do have fans everywhere and I have heard that Detroooit Basketballllll chant at each arena.

If you watched the Lakers game against the Nuggets on Tuesday night, there were plenty of the cheers for the Lakers in the Denver crowd..and that is supposed to be one of their top 3 conference rivals.
  19. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

It was a collective team effort. In other words, nobody had a clue what to do from moment to moment, and no coach to let them know either. For much of the 2nd half, the offense was leaderless and pointless. In this situation, can you really fault the individual players for the horrible shots they took, with no effort to get a better shot. Perhaps the coach just told them all to treat the remainder of the game as shooting practice at some point. In any case, team coordination was nowhere to be found. The Pistons just looked plain bad. Probably just another case of Q giving up long before the game ended. And the players just went along with his orders to do likewise.
  20. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Oh, I know the Pistons have a good following on the road. I, myself, am a road fan, and I've seen a ton of Piston fans during the games that I've been to in Boston and New York.

I think the Pistons road fans are better than their home fans.