vs Houston Rockets Sunday March 7 6:00 pm

Discussion in 'March 2010' started by roscoe36, Nov 3, 2009.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Detroit Pistons vs Houston Rockets

Sunday March 7

6:00 pm

Local TV: FS Detroit Plus

Nat'l TV:

Radio: 98.7 WVMV
  2. roscoe36

3. roscoe36

4. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Very exciting game. Tay looks great. Havent heard palace this loud in a month of sundays.
  5. roscoe36

I have disliked for years, how the Pistons always try to iso on the last possession. They aren't good enough to iso when it doesnt matter, and they always go perimeter iso in the crunch.

Lots of home whistles in the 4th kept the Pistons in the game.

Kuester is a scary coach.
  6. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I did not see the first half but it appeared to be a great game as both teams fought it out to the end...

Pistons showed some pride and held on to beat out the Rockets in OT 110-107. The game was tied at the end of regulation as the Pistons put together a 10-2 run to close out the game and hold the Rockets to only one FG over the last 3.5 mins or so.

Tay scored six of the last 8 Pistons points on three dunks to tie the game near the end of regulation. The Pistons had a chance to win it in regulation, but Rip missed a jumper with a second left on the clock. Tay finished with a game high 29 points.

In OT it looked like the JMAX show as he was active on both ends of the court. However good Pistons defense was in the 4th qtr and an OT, they almost still let the game get away as Taynk almost lived up to his new name missing 2 FT that may have put the game away 11 seconds left. Then after the Pistons dodged a three ball brick by Brooks, JJ missed the front end of FT situation, but hit the second with 4 seconds left to go up 110-107....little K-mart missed a 3 pointer to end the game.

The guard tandem of Martin and Brooks scored 52 points, the Rockets were missing swing men Trevor Ariza and Kyle Landry to offset Stuckey and Ben sitting it out on our side. Nice for the Pistons to take precaution and sit Stucke

Pistons stars

JMAX made up for missing Ben with 16 boards.
    Tay ~29 and 10
    Will Bynum ~12 pts, 11 assists
    JJ ~16 pts, 9 brds
    Once again we could not get out two FG to both score in double figures in the same game. Tonight CV did come thru on the offensive end with 15 pts. Bengo was cold 1-7 from the field but did get to the line and score 4 FT in the 4th to get the Pistons offense going.

now I can go back to the Oscars...
  7. detteam

detteam All-Star

I'm nostalgic to times when the ball changed hands so fast the play-by-play couldn't keep up. Q is no scarier than his two predecessors.
  8. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

A decently coached game. Thats two in the last 4, which means the coach is batting .500 on his coaching efforts of late. Of course, still not acceptable, since you would really like a coach to coach well 100% of the time. However, I will give him props for recent dramatic improvement.

We avoided small ball for pretty much the whole game. Daye got some development time. And oh, we won - which I know is a great things for all the fans that showed up at the Palace tonight.

With Ben Wallace out again, Kwame got to play. They avoided trying to make him part of the offense, a very good move. Just let him concentrate on defense and rebounding. He was our most negative player tonight, but hey, he at least was giving other players rest.

The combination of JMAX and JJ starting was awesome as far as the offensive rebounding goes. One would tap it up, one would haul down the offensive rebound. JMAX I am pretty sure had his season high in rebounding tonight with 8 of his 16 rebounds being offensive. JJ added lots of scoring to his 9 boards. JJ was knocking down the outside shots in the first half but cooled off in the second - meanwhile he always looks to play inside. Got to like that.

CV got that outside shot going in the first half, which ended up hurting us in the 2nd half since we got into a bad habit of shooting too many jumpers there for a while. But for the game as a whole, no complaints as far as inside vs. outside play. Rip definitely was letting us use an inside game tonight. I only wish he could actually contribute. But I will take his good teamwork for now.

Bynum had a double double. Gordon did little but provided an adequate backup point.

Tay had his outside shot going, but scored a whole lot inside on backdowns. Great game from him. And man, I can not understate how happy I am to see a backup small forward used, actually making the small forward position a strong point for us.

Very balance scoring in this win, 110 points scored - some in OT of course. Between Bynum and Gordon, they always were looking for ways for the team to score. Did I mention double digit assists for Bynum? Guess I did, but I wanted to repeat it once more.

Houston is not by any means a stellar defensive team around the basket. Good job going inside enough to get the win. Houston at times made us look pretty bad in that area as well - but our starting unit managed to shut their water off when it counted down the stretch and in overtime. We did a 10-2 run to get it to OT. The starters also started out great, getting out to a 12 point lead early.

Great to see a win. Great to see decent coaching. Great to see Daye get some burn - in both halves of the game like it should be.

Kuester could have done a ton of things wrong in this game. Injuries to Ben Wallace (who may return is a few games or so, and Stuckey - who I did not hear any timetable for but expect back soon) and Stuckey gave Kuester plenty of excuses to mess up. He could have moved Tay to PF, a real bad mistake, or played Atkins instead of Daye, a truly horrible mistake indeed. So hey, for one night, I am proud of our coach for doing a fine job.
  9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Yeah, iso with Rip is not the best play. Why not run some screens for him to get him a dribble free shot? Otherwise, bring in BG for the iso.

Definitely a couple favorable whistles. Didn't appear as though Scola traveled to me, and that was a massive call... as he made the basket and got hacked.

Tay's 3 fast break dunks in the 4th were awesome.

Overall, his best game of the year. One of Rip's best all around games. It was Bynum's best. Maxiell, Jerebko, and Villanueva all had one of their top 5 games of the year.

And we barely beat a .500 team at home. Crazy.

There was that one segment where Kuester was talking about how we have to guard against playing to the level of our opponent. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't that be a very good thing if we did that? There are only about 3 teams that we could play down to by definition.
  10. jayborne

jayborne Bench Warmer

I didn't get a chance to see the game, but I was wondering if Tayshaun's game was really as good as the box score makes it seem?
  11. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Well he looked 3 years younger with those three dunks in the last 2 mins of regulation...
  12. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

They always call that a travel this season and last. What got the call was the hop to the basket, which is no longer allowed. If he had done the exact same thing, but jumped straight up, it would not have been a travel.
  13. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

ok i have a theory and maybe i'm way way off but hey i'm old and that allows me to have strange idea's. (though around most of you i'm still a young kid :P )

It seems to me that JJ is the best thing in the world for Prince. Remember Prince came to the pistons and was a young kid who wanted to fit in. He never ever forced his game, well atleast not after the playoffs against the magic like 10 years ago... (yes I know what year, just making a cool point... make better.) After that he played the game of "fitting" in and allowing every other scoring option on the team take priority over him. Fast forward as option after option leaves the team so that now were at a point where only Rip is left from all those options and Prince is still the same old prince.

Now we have a young forward say.... here I am world and I don't care if I am a rookie I'm going to make myself an option even if the plays arn't called for me, even if I am the rookie.

I think the youth of JJ has been woke Prince up. I think its almost like Prince has been sleep walking for the last 6 years and now he's seen a challenge laid down and he's going to step up and play ball like I have felt is was capable of all these years.

I know its a small sample size and I'd like to see it go forward. But if this prince stays around I'd be happy to keep him around. We just need find us a center in the draft and move one of our SG's and I'm happy with this young group going forward "learning" to win together.
  14. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Every team in the league does that. It's the reason why we never turned the corner. I too wanted to see great execution down the stretch like in that championship season, but that was the rare exception, not the rule. We've never had a player who we could iso and they could get their own shot, or hit a tough step back jumper with a hand in their face. The elite teams who win championships have "that" player. Kobe, Pierce, Wade, Ginobli (not Duncan), without "that" player it's an uphill battle. Sad thing is, after last seasons Bos-Chi series, I thought Ben Gordon would be "that" player.
  15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The benefit of the iso is that you virtually eliminate the possibility of a turnover and you are more likely to fully milk the clock. The odds of scoring on an iso have to be below 30% though. I bet it's more like 20% for non-Kobe types. And milking the clock takes away the chance for an offensive rebound (which we are about the best in the league at).

I'd rather see a P&R with shooters spacing the floor. Bynum and JM would be acceptable. Have Rip, Tay, and JJ spread out on the perimeter incase Bynum penetrates and can kick out.
  16. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I still think you can give the ball to Ben Gordon and have everyone else get out of the way. The guy can score. He isn't back to 100% yet.
  17. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

It's tough to score with a giant fork sticking out of your back.
  18. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I hope Stern and the Players Union ban the giant forks in the next CBA.