vs Golden State Warriors Sunday November 7 6:00 pm

Discussion in 'November 2010' started by roscoe36, Oct 19, 2010.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

2. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

Maybe our last win can give our players some strenght and SELF confidence..

I want to see Monroe go for 30 minutes tonight.. It's not a game for CV or Maxiell with Lee and Biedrins under the basket
  3. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Pistons by 30.
  4. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

first half..yes

second half? :redface::redface:
  5. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Win streak, here we come!
  6. roscoe36

7. Brap

Brap Starter

Stuckey playing really well (again) tonight. I already love how he and Gordon play their games well together. Now I'm seeing that Stuckey and Monroe are a really good combination as well. One thing about Monroe that I'm starting to appreciate is that he has great hands. Stuckey driving in the interior is starting to look for Monroe when Stuck is driving the lane. That's going to really open up Stuckey's game as will Gordon, Daye and CV being big time 3 pt threats.
  8. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Stuck looked really good out there minus that last play. Lots of driving and dishing. Hopefully he can keep it up. Good to see him have a strong 2nd half (as opposed to the norm).

I'm still not buying into the small-ball lineup we go with at times. Usually everyone on the floor is a perimeter-only scorer except for Rodney in those lineups, and they're prone to going cold. One of these guys is just going to have to watch from the sidelines at times.

Greg needs a FT coach. And a "finishing" coach. Guys are going to stop passing to him if he doesn't finish off the play. You can already see it from some of the older guys.

Quick! Trade Rip! Sell High! Sell High!
  9. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Pistons win! I like Monroe more and more for every game even though he's got a chance on the all time blocked shots record. This will improve as he gets used to playing against big NBA guys and he will adapt. On this team he cannot get enough minutes. And Big Ben looks like he's done when playing to many minutes. The highlight of the game was seeing the Joggernaught raise his head and throw out the ball to an open Bengo while penetrating.
  10. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

Wes Unseld was only 6'7"...Bill Laimbeer shot jumbers....kids today dont study 'the game' like back in the day BUT they wanna come in the league and get PAID like a vet. So none of this 'will get better' junk! Get hard,MONROE and man up!
  11. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Great win by the Pistons who find themselves with a 2 game win streak and tied for 4th in the division with the Bucs..:) and have moved up to the 24th best team record wise instead of being in tied for last a couple of days ago with the Rockets...

Rip and Stuckey started and it was their best paring since ....who knows when...27 pts for the supposed lame duck Rip who hit many key buckets scoring 18 points in the second half and all five of his FT....only bad was hos 5 TO's.

Stuckey played great and must have learned something doing his sit down. He made the right decisions, dishing out 9 assists to go with his 21 pts, including a nice three in crunch time.

CV also had a great game, scoring 16 on a pair of threes and grabbed 10 boards.

Gordon seemed to be stifled scoring wise coming off the bench, but he did score 7 pts dished out 6 assists and for the first time in awhile, had no TO's.

TMac's time was limited today and did not figure that much in todays game. Tay scored a couple of buckets at the end of the half and hit a key bucket here and there in the second.

Ben was initially shut out on the boards as Biedrens was pretty much cleaning the glass in the first qtr before he got in foul trouble, David Lee took over for him. but alas Ben played D when he could and still finished with 9 boards. He let G.Mon be the butt of jokes at the FT line as the rookie was awful shooting free throws at 1-7. He also missed a bunch a bunnies again as he failed to finish around the hoop and was blocked at least once. He grabbed six boards and had a key steal and assist in the closing minutes but has to better if he expects to move in the starting lineup. Daye once again was in foul trouble 5 mins into the game but still improved his shooting going 4/5 from the field.

Monta Ellis we hope will be the fastest human the Pistons will face this season...the league leading scorer was held below his average, but still put a scare in the Piston faithful as they hung on to a 3 pt lead with just 13 seconds left in the game...Rip iced it with 2 FT after Step Curry missed a potential game tying three pointer.

Dorell Wright looked good out there for the Warriors too hitting from both the inside and out.

Great win to send the Pistons out on the west coast trip with.
  12. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Well, I will start with the most important topic first. One I see nobody else mentioning. Rip's game style change. 27 points, few coming off somebody setting a screen for him, with him running himself ragged to use that screen. Yes, Rip had 5 turns, but I will take it along with all the points he got going inside. At the free throw line and otherwise. Rip also hit some outside shots, set up by good ball movement, often off one of our guards going inside. Bynum and Gordon had a combined 10-1 assist to turnover ratio in this game. And Stuckey just missed a 20-10 game by one assist. Yep, Rip got the start - but we are playing Ben Gordon style of basketball on O.

A lot of going inside. And a ton of scoring off that. The ways the game should be played. Good stuff. For once, at least on game strategy, got to give it up for Q tonight. Good job.

Gordon did not start, but don't feel sorry for him. He got plenty of minutes, and very instrumental in this win with both a bit of scoring and all those assists.

Bynum, jury still out on the guy. He is showing signs of getting healthy again. Look at the way he went up for that bound. Can't be hurting too much if he can get up that high. I hope he improves yet with some playing time and more healing in regards to his defense. It just has to get better. Him out there, combined with CV not being active enough around the basket meant their guards scored way way too easy. Gordon did not help in that regard either. As a matter of fact, with TMAC being hobbled up some tonight, Monroe at one point was the only guy out there who could play any D at all, and he is just a rookie so even that did not help us much. GS scored 48 points inside. Too much. Yes, we did shore up a lot of leaks by crunch time.

CV played center at crunch time. I am ok with that as far as defense. Believe it or not, with his combination of length, and slow feet, center is more suited to him. As a power forward he is expected to rotate and he just can't.

Yeah, a lot of small ball, especially at the end. Don't like it but I will note GS was going small, and the combination of Stuckey, Rip, and Gordon ain't that short.

No Jason Maxiell. Still don't know if that is to let the knee heal - or for some other reason. Some people think its just Monroe taking his minutes. But until this team quits giving up nearly half the points inside I won't say Monroe is the answer.

Speaking of what is not the answer. Daye playing power forward meant pretty much he only can play power forward, because he has to foul to stop the opposing bigs. No fouls left over. Daye starting at power forward just does not work. In this game, we had precious few mismatches to exploit compared to what could be if we ran some taller gaurds out there. Daye still managed to have a decent game with some shots made and a lot of good D under the circumstances. I will compliment the coach though on leaving Daye out there until he had picked up his 5th fouls. This was good since it kept CV off the floor a bit. Coach tends to play CV way too much in a stretch. Better coaching there tonight.

The whole team gets praise for sharing the ball. A ton of assists, with nobody every worrying about there own stats. Each player took the shots that came to them from the crisp ball movement.

Bragging rights. Got to feel good to have a team with guards that outplayed the opposing guards when that team has guards like Curry and Ellis. (Althogh I will temper that with the fact that no, our team should not be that pourous inside to allow that easy of scoring from Ellis, quick as he is or not.)

Tay did a bit of everthing, as usual. Coach kept his minutes to something approaching right tonight too, and this on a night when TMAC did not play that much.

Matter of fact Rip was the only guy to get seriously large minutes, and hey, with him not tiring himself out all night running off screen after screen, I am absolutely sure he can handle high minutes.

When the play was in front of CV, on defense, he did ok. Again, its just that he does not move well on D. So I say, don't ask him to move much.

Monroe got a bit nervous at the line tonight, missing his first 6 I believe before making one. Just nerves, I would guess since he has shown he both has an outside shot and can make free throws. He surely would have been a whole lot more effective tonight if he had made those. But I will take all the fouls he drew, and he did manage to score a few buckets inside. And as someone already mentioned, what about that assist. Monroe helps create then complete a steal, dribbles the ball about half the way the length of the court, and hits Rip perfectly for a fast break score. This guy moves well, with and without the ball, can shoot the ball, has height to spare, and just moves quick as the dickens. He will only get better and better with more confidence.

CV continues to hit outside shots, but now for 3 games has been concentrating on scoring inside. (And the game before that too, although it bore no fruit. At least the seeds got planted though. I felt it helped lose that one game, but hey, one game ain't squat if he can keep that inside game in gear. That inside game of his can help win us a ton of games if he gets its up to his best - which is very, very good.

They said that TMAC tore some scar tissue. Had TMAC worried, but apparently it was expected and really no problem. I do not know if him getting pulled tonight was related to that. Hopefully, its just a discomfort thing and will not carry forward past tonight. Hopefully.

A trend of getting a low number of turns is happening for the Pistons of late. And this combined with playing the right way - hey, I guess the coaches are doing something right. And we beat our first winning team. Maybe team confidence will carry over into this West trip. Portland Tuesday.

Another change. Big Ben Wallace did not come into the game for the last of the game. Apparently, no more entitlement minutes. Lets hope at least.
  13. roscoe36

Awesome recaps Dre and Lee. Thank you.
  14. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

good caps dre, lee, thanx

but: close games vs bottom dwellers, no big deal. But it is better than nothing.
  15. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

For a team that had lost its first 5 games, any win is a big deal if you ask me.
  16. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Two wins in a row against two teams that play two VERY different styles. (yeah, I know, two pretty sucky teams, but hey)

Good redemption game by Helen Keller.
  17. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

What the Bobcats and Warriors have in common is that they can't score inside with their bigs. That is what hurts the Pistons because teams go at CCG 1 on 1 and he can't stop them. Playing he and Monroe as a tandem has helped them when they have gone to the 3 guard lineup these last 2 games.

I think Kuester deserves a lot of credit for the Pistons improved ball movement because it is happening across the board no matter who is playing.

Monroe is looking better and better. Ben has really taken to the mentor role with the young fella as his free throws attest. Hit them D boards please. He looked spry a few times hitting the O glass and going to the rim.

Rascoe and his "man love" thread managed to do what no team had done so far and slow down Gordon.

It took me at least half the game to fully understand that the Pistons weren't playing the Knicks. David Lee was killing me.
  18. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Very un-Helen-like performance from Stuckey tonight. That's good.
  19. Brap

Brap Starter

Bierdens and Lee are both guys who can hurt you inside - especially Lee.

But mostly I agree with your point. We are at least a year or two of development of Monroe and Daye, and whoever we acquire in trade and/or in the draft, and the return to health of JJ, away from being the kind of defensive team we need to be to compete at the level we want. There will be a lot of down moments this season - no way to avoid that IMO.
  20. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Great game to watch. It looked like the Palace had quite a few empty seats....the days of sellouts are long gone.

Rodney showed his maturity by responding well to the benching. Monroe looked good...really nice pass on a 2 on 1 late in the game...he got stuffed on a set shot near the foul line. I think I could jump higher than Monroe.

The Ben Gordon man love thread was for sure a bad idea.