vs Denver Nuggets Wednesday January 26 7:30 pm

Discussion in 'January 2011' started by roscoe36, Oct 19, 2010.

1. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Stuckey said he didn’t fear that his shoulder had been separated or dislocated when he initially suffered the injury.

"I felt something pop," he said, “but I knew it wasn’t that because it didn’t feel awkward. ... I’ll be all right."

I'm not sure awkward is how I would explain it.

It was the coach's decision, and it worked a few times. But, Denver did a good job of pushing the ball and getting shots before the defense could set up, and of forcing switches. Sometimes you just can't execute what the coach wants.

2. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Afflalo was sitting on the bench, and since that is where Bynum should have been - good call. There was nobody in the game that Bynum could begin to guard. It would have only gotten worse if he guarded somebody else. (if you could get worse that is - and since they scored every single time with no effort at all, I guess you really couldn't)

3. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I don't like Chauncey the choker. Let's not forget his classic ECF chokes. He hasn't exactly added to his legacy in Denver either.

Mr. Big Shot is more Mr. Big Talk.

And it is totally in character to come into Detroit and criticize the organization. He was the king of the emo kids (Sheed, Rip and baby Tay).

He was their leader.

5. Walter

I'm with you Lee. He should've subbed out Summers for Bynum and have Summers guard CB or Tay switch to CB and put Summers on Melo. This was a bad loss. The team competed hard and we would've had a chance to win it. Quester couldn't see the freight train coming his way until it ran him over.

6. Walter

No it wasn't amazing. Will was putting 120% effort. CB seemed to be going at only half speed. I don't know if you guys caught it but one time CB did a slight hesitation move and ended up shaking WB off about 5 feet for an uncontested 3 pointer. CB was laughing afterwards.

The only reason why Denver didn't blow us out by 20 points or so is because Will's circus shots and long range jumpers were falling. When Bynum gets in that I'm-gonna-score-every-point-from-here-on-out mode, the game's usually done.

Yes, it's impressive when Bynum goes off like that and it does draw a lot of excitement from the crowd, but it rarely pays off. The rest of the team join the crowd in watching Bynum go 1-on-5. 9 out of 10, we'll lose the game when that happens. It's great that the little fella is scoring at will, but it's meaningless if we end up losing the game.

7. Walter

This is still on Q. Even if you leave Bynum in the game, do a defensive switch. ANYONE could see what was going to happen as soon as CB hit that first three pointer. Q should've known it of all people as HE WAS AN ASSISTANT COACH WHEN CHAUNCEY WAS DOING THE SAME THING FOR THE PISTONS! He HAD TO make a defensive switch and he didn't.

I will give him credit for having Daye and Monroe finish the game though, and he has been using Wallace correctly since he came back from injury.

8. dba

Yep. It's weird - you sit there watching and at some point during the Bynum spree you realize that you're not having fun, because you know it will only turn out one way.

9. Walter

Exactly. After each Bynum basket, the overwhelming feeling wasn't elation, it was a giant sigh of relief.

10. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Will putting in a 120% effort and scoring at will isn't amazing? Wow..that's hard to figure.I'll respectfully and strongly disagree. I understand your point on the defensive end but that could have been somewhat handled by switching up on defense.

On the defensive end Chauncey was trying (and succeeding) to embarrass WB. I'm surprised Will hugged him after the game.

11. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

The way y'all talk you just bypass the fact that they gave up just as many points as we did. As Piston fans it's hard for us to imagine winning games by outscoring teams, but all but 3 of our wins this year have come as a result of us SCORING over 100 points, go check our record when we SCORE over 100 points, it's AMAZING. Now I'll admit there comes a point in the 4th where you need to get about 2,3, maybe 4 stops to win and we just didn't get those. Would it have helped to have better defender on Chauncey, Yes, but NOBODY else on our team had it going on the offensive end. T-Mac, Tay and Daye didn't have it going and CV was on the bench crippled. I'm all for letting Will rot on the bench because of his inability to run the point or play defense, but when a guy has it going like that he deserves the chance to win it for you and he almost pulled it off.

12. Walter

Stuck told him to do it on his behalf since he was injured.

13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Also keep in mind that if Chauncey felt some defensive pressure, he would have likely passed it to Afflalo (who was shooting 75% from deep) or Melo (who was 3 assists shy of a triple double).

Our undrafted bench player was going toe to toe with a possible hall of famer who was in the zone. I'm OK with that.

I'm going to go ahead and blame this loss on Joe D who traded Billups for AI and who traded Afflalo + Walter Sharpe for cash and a future 2nd round draft pick. The reason that we didn't have anybody to guard Billups is because we gave him away. Afflalo is only making $1.96M this year by the way.

Flashback:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=IversonTrade-Dumars-081103

Here's Hollinger's analysis at the time (he's the idiot that backs up his opinions with stats):
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/colum...llinger_john&page=IversonTrade-Nuggets-081103

Both of these trades were gross miscalculations on every level and they are 2 in a long chain of bad moves. If you look on the opposite end of the spectrum, you have our former twin sister, the Spurs. They retooled. We just tooled around.

14. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

This comparison to SA is flawed for many reasons.

If Larry Brown would have not been fired (or lost interest, which came first), it would be a closer comparison. But Pop has been in SA for ever, the guys that are on the team are the guys HE wants. His system, his rules.

He made Tim Duncan into the player he is today, and Tim Duncan made the Spurs into the team they are today. The closest thing (sadly enough) we have to Tim Duncan is Rip Hamilton, and maybe that says alot about the team we are today.

Thirdly, Pop went out and got two other super stars who will fall into rank behind him, behind Tim, in worldly players like Tony Parker and Ginobli. Players that play the game right (defensive, unselfish play), and want to win.

Fourthly, they drafted, and signed great players, where we have not so much. They are night and day in my opinion.

15. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Ouch. :cold:

16. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

SA is a great org who's had a good long run but that's solely because of Tim Duncan. When you have the greatest PF to ever play the game still playing at a high level you're going to be in it. Had Rasheed worked/lived/played up to his potential as a player who should've avg'd 20/10 over the course of his career then maybe he'd still be a Piston and maybe we'd still have a competitive core. Think about this, Billups/Rip/Stuckey/Afflalo at guard. I'm sure we'd have 2 of our 3 young SF'S backing up Tay who is now finally playing at a higher level. SA is not still playing well because Buford has made a series of great moves since they beat us in the '05 finals, George Hill and Dejuan Blair aren't that good, but their core players (Manu, Parker, and Duncan) were younger and/or better than ours.

17. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

It's not solely because of Tim Duncan. However, Tim Duncan has been the major factor.

18. dba

SA has done well because...

- the organization has found a way to pay it's core and still put quality complimentary players around them

- their core, including Duncan are awfullly good

- Pops is maybe the best coach ever

- they have been very lucky with injuries & must have their very own Arnie clone

Take away any of those four and we aren't having this chat.

19. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

This was my beef...Will was in there doing his thang and Blaha and all the Piston faithful were lovin it......but the first time he got burned by Billups would have been the time to switch up...I mean they even called a time out and Billups still came back and hit two more threes.:yellowprison::yellowprison:

We were still within 6 then and possibly a couple of stops would have got us back in it.

20. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I thought it was, if nothing else a riveting 4th quarter. We can replay it now and analyze it but while it was going on it was pretty intense.
    You have a undersized benchwarmer guard who is in and out of the rotation absolutely torching the Nuggets.

Then you have Mr. Big Shot sauntering up the floor and taking Will to the lane once and then effortlessly hitting dagger after dagger from 3 point land. And Will Bynum is hung out to dry trying to guard him. Chauncey laughing and humiliating Will after each shot.

This all in the context of Chauncey's soulmate being disrespectfully treated by the home team's management.