vs Dallas Mavericks Monday January 17 3:30 pm

Discussion in 'January 2011' started by roscoe36, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

For Bynum, could you take the time to break that down between playoff bound vs. non-playoff bound teams.
  2. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Great post, very deep indeed and no wonder why we had a parade of coach since 2005.
  3. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

The guy was looking strictly at Rip's off the pick game. Also, it is somewhat inaccurate to say that Rip's style from the championship year is what got him success. Actually, it was Larry Brown's insistance that on ever play, every possible attempt to get the ball inside should be made. Rip did come off screens under Brown, yes, but it was Saunders who took the concept and totally warped it into multi-screen plays. (And of course getting away from the fundamental - get the ball inside.) In other words, Larry Brown knew how to weave Rip's strong points into a winning game, one that stressed, above all, getting the ball inside if possible.

The writer did not flat out say we had to trade Rip. Hey, I for sure believe Rip has a lot of talent and we should be playing him - or at least be keeping him around for playoff time. (The less he plays now, the more he will have left in the tank for the playoffs. And I would hope that as an organization the Pistons understands that a player missing a few games is not the end of the world. Really, Rip is getting paid plenty, he should be happy regardless. Also, as far as Rip sulking, I will again say - he was playing about as good D, after the demotion to the bench, as any Piston.)
  4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

We have the longest winning streak in the Eastern Conference solely because of Will the Thrill Bynum and you're trying to diminish it? He may be our best player, but he is not a miracle worker.
  5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That is amazing that he pursued that strategy with Ben Wallace and Sheed. Think at how hard that is from a coaching standpoint to get those 2 guys scoring in the paint.

Corliss was a natural... but then he had Okur who would be happy at the 3-point line for the whole game.

LB was a stubborn man and that was the best team that he ever had. I hope he appreciates what he accomplished.
  6. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Actually, Stuckey ranks about a full point (.439 vs. .430) ahead in FG%...

Here lies the difference though. While Stuckey ranks last in eFG% on the team, he's 3rd on the team in true shooting % at .546 and first in points per shot (1.33) by a long shot over Ben Gordon (1.20). Stuckey also leads the team in offensive rating (Bynum 8th), 2nd in win shares/per 48 minutes (Bynum 11th) and first on the team in PER (Bynum again 11th).

Not sure you were trying to do it, but painting Bynum and Stuckey as equally effective players is pretty far from the truth. And that isn't even factoring in that Stuckey's minutes are mostly against starters and Bynum's are against backups.
  7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

In Stuckey and Bynum's case, the #s which matter are in the W/L category.

Last year we also looked very good at times with Chucky, who no one is going to confuse with an effective scorer, but there are literally hundreds if not thousands of things which contribute to wins which do not show up in PER, or eFG% or TS.
  8. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

When Bynum was struggling I was glad to see him out of the rotation, but if we can get back the kid who pressured opposing PG's into turnovers, get into the paint at will and score in bunches, then by all means find him some minutes. I still feel Rodney Stuckey is at his best when he's playing about 30mpg, T-Mac doesn't need more than 30mpg either on that knee, back, shin, 31 year old body, etc etc; so there's some time available for Will "Tha Thrill" Bynum'ite so long as he continues to play well and we're winning.

Also we still may have to play some 3 guard lineups (with T-Mac playing Point Forward), Austin Daye hasn't exactly cemented his spot into the rotation with his play as of late.
  9. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Not needing box score numbers is the great thing about adjusted statistical +/- and you only need 3-4 full seasons of stats to start seeing tendencies thru the noise!
  10. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.”

Charles Darwin
  11. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Exactly, it's not Darwin who said "only the strong survive", but Jerry Butler.
  12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Did they even have basketball back then? He must have been talking about a different sport and you took it out of context.
  13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Thank goodness for refs!

I'm not saying that Stuckey sucks, I'm just pointing out how similar their stats are. IMO, Bynum is a perfectly suitable backup PG, especially considering how well he's playing lately and how cheap he is. Great value. If only he had range.
  14. Darth Tater

Yes. In fact they did. He is the third one on the right. He was said to be quite the point guard. People often wondered aloud why he didn't continue his basketball career instead of messing around with all that evolution stuff.

[​IMG]
  15. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I remember this team. They used to "run and gun" all the time, hence the phrase "survival of the fittest" was actually coined to describe the squad.
  16. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Getting to the foul line is the most efficient way to score, is it not?

I don't think Bynum and Stuckey are that similar. They may be similar in playing style, but let's be real here, Stuckey is much better at it than Bynum is. The overall numbers reflect that. They aren't close. And he doesn't get abused on the defensive end of the floor.
  17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

If that were true, then coaches would diagram all last second plays as foul drawing plays (ala Chauncey Billups' last year with us).

Once you actually get to the line, then it's pretty efficient.

It's like saying that dunking is the most efficient way of scoring. It's true, but it isn't easy getting to that stage.

I don't want to go off the deep end here, because I agree with you that he's more efficient than his FG/ eFG percentages indicate and I think that he's fairly efficient overall.

The real question is how do we optimize overall efficiency for the team. You'd have to consider that he's seemed more efficient individually and the team has fared better so far when he's at the 2 spot.

At least we don't have Stuck at the SF position like we would have if MC was still coaching.
  18. Darth Tater

Do you really remember them? You must watch the history channel a lot. I figured the only one who would have actually had the opportunity to watch them in person would be Woody. :pound: