vs Cleveland Cavaliers Wednesday November 25 8:00 pm

Discussion in 'November 2009' started by roscoe36, Nov 2, 2009.

1. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

He's the only rook that hasn't been tossed out of a game yet.
    Tonight might be a good time for that with a hard foul on LeJackass!
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

The approach for defending stars hasn't changed much since I started following bball.

Defend with your feet.
    Make them defend you.
    Ball denial.
    Run hard.
    Don't get frustrated or flustered.
  3. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Cosign, especially the last part!

Stuckey played LeBron pretty well in the spurts that he guarded him in the playoffs last year, so maybe we'll see him on LeBron too.
  4. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

It was definitely easier to slow down a star wing player when they allowed hand checking.

It's so much harder now when you can't use your hands and arms... the offensive player always has the advantage since he knows where he is going and the defender has to react. Some of these quick, strong guys like LeBron are almost impossible to stay in front of without hand checking.
  5. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

You know, that ain't so hard. LBJ is really not that tough of a guy despite the image he portrays.
  6. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Nobody said Max is going to be the #1 option. However, as Roscoe stated if the refs allow some physical play Max can disrupt LeBron's game. And really, that's all you can hope for.

I think Q's going to start JJ on LBJ, and during the 3-guard stretches we'll see Stuckey on LBJ. The question is who'll be on LeBron in the 2nd quarter and late 3rd quarter.

I also don't get why people think Daye can do a good job defending LeBron. If he couldn't stay in front of Gerald Wallace, what makes you think he'll be able to keep up with LeBron? The only way Daye would be adequate defense against LeBron is if he keeps on settling for contested three pointers.
  7. roscoe36

You can get inside the head of a Lebron, Nowitzki or a DHo. It is hard to get in the head of a Nash, Kobe or Wade.

Lebron is huge for his position, but he's not a very physical player, or a very active defender.
  8. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

It's easier to get into Wade's shoulder :stirthepot:
  9. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

LeBron has virtually no post game, despite being bigger and stronger than anyone at his position.
  10. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

I Would like to see how Stuckey or Jerebko or even Summers trying to slow Lebron down.
  11. roscoe36

12. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Another 4th qtr comeback comes up short as the Pistons fell behind by 18 at the half and brought it back as close as 5 but with no Gordon to go to, it was an climb that they could not overcome.

Gordon went out in the second qtr with 9 pts and 4 assists.

Bynum was off too, shooting a horrid 1-13,.... Stuckey in his usual no passing self mode led the charge in the end scoring 25 points and squeezed in one assist in the third qtr.

We gave up to many three balls (9) and missed 10 FT's and once again had more turnovers ~14 than assists ~ 13

Cavs 98 Pistons 88
  13. roscoe36

We're not that far away from being competitive. That is what I took from this game. If we're healthy, we can hang with anyone.

No Rip, No Tay, No Bengo for the second half, and Bynum going 1-13, and we still were in it under 2:00.

Stuckey is really bad sometimes. He can score, but he can't find his teammates. This game was winnable if he could have created opportunities for CV and Bynum to get some easy hoops.

Keep hoping he will learn, but I am not holding my breath.
  14. max

max All-Star

I was at the Palace and actually heard Gordon bang his knee on the hardwood from the 2nd tier. It looked real bad and we only have to hope that his Achilles will be ok.

Overall impression I got from the game was the Pistons run at a constant speed and effort and it was only when the Cavs let up that the Pistons were able to recover some ground. Ground that was soon closed when the Cavs stepped it up again.

Still could have stole a victory at the end with a couple of shots made or some lucky D. One thing about this year no matter the final record - Teams are going to have to work all game for the W.

Just got back from a brutal West coast trip and we get the Cavs on home game 1 back home. I think we will be ok once some guys get back and the schedule lightens up. No offense to Gordon but we are a better team with Rip at the 2.
  15. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

First, yes, it seemed it killed our momentum by pulling Daye when he had just made two good plays. The first one was especially important since he actually was able to feed a post player. Daye did end up playing most of the 2nd half though.

Next, JJ, for all the good things he is doing, is hurting us by avoiding taking shots. With Ben in their already not shooting outside shots we become too easy to defend. Either JJ has to lose his shyness to shoot, or someone else has to take those starter minutes from him.

To me, we seemed to be a much better team with Daye in the game. Without him, our perimeter D just was not any good. His quickness and long arms really help in that regard. And he gives us another guy who can handle the ball. Not to mention he really seems to want to score buckets, quite a contrast to JJ.

JJ did not do bad, five O boards. His defense was only human on Bron. Not bad though.

Summmers played little, did nothing.

Stuckey was relentless going to the rack in the 4th quarter. Good to see. Would be great to see that the whole game long - with Suckey getting decent rest periods of course.

Lack of perimeter D is a huge problem, with the other team far too often getting totally open shots. We have nobody on the team who can fight thru picks out there. Meanwhile, the chances of us running any plays to get a perimeter shooter open are very slim. It happens almost never. We just pass the ball from player to player for the most part and pray someone is open. If the other team does not cooperate, it gets you nowhere just to play hot potato with the ball.

Bynum is playing on a gimpy ankle and with sprained ribs. Its about time to sign someone on a ten day contract. And ditch Atkins who is worthless. Just my opinion.

Gordon is out with an ankle sprain. I guess we may hear soon how bad it is. Or wait, maybe not. We did not hear how bad Rip's ankle was until weeks after the injury.

None of our bigs did that bad or that great. Maxiell did hit more shots than usual for him.

This is one tired and broken down team at the moment. Still, we found a way to stay in the game.

Keep the faith. Happy Thanksgiving.

GO PISTONS!!!!!

Oh, and turns. Between Stuckey and Bynum, its not looking too good right now as far as ball handling. However, both guys are tired, or hurt, or both. Hopefully some homecooking will help fix their perception of who is one which team.
  16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The replay showed very clearly that it was his left ankle that turned when he stepped on somebody's foot. He may have then hit the ground hard, but this is the injury. Hopefully it's not a high ankle sprain.

It was fun seeing a confident Daye out there tonight. Jerebko is also fun to watch, but the dude is slow motion on the jump shot. It's ok if he's wide wide open, but it's never going to be a weapon unless he changes that.
  17. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

I don't know people, it is beginning to look like this team is an easy target for most teams. The comebacks are as Mercury says, when the other team lets up a bit. And I agree with Lee's analysis that there are structural issues at work (guys not being able to work through screens, no way to free perimeter shooters, etc.). Agree that JJ gives back on offense what he may give on defense. You have to shoot the ball in the NBA. Agree also that Daye has a great upside.

The Pistons have to make some hard choices. For example, the Pistons are not able to use Gordon to his strength by freeing him up for the jumper or letting him create on the perimeter in isolation. I don't mind an occasional drive or play making foray by Gordon but that is not his game and the injury was unfortunately predictable as he went into an array of players.

Can the Pistons keep Stuckey, Gordon and Bynum when neither seems capable of solid point guard play. Maybe if a missing impact big is at the center of the offense but not sure. This version of the Pistons would be tons better with a good point guard. When these guys pass, with the turnovers, I find myself wishing they just went one on one instead.
  18. roscoe36

Right now, injuries are leading to more injuries because guys are being overplayed. Despite the objections, I cannot understand why Cheeser is not getting 8 minutes a game to give the kids a rest.

I don't really care if these guys are capable of comebacks, I don't think this season is going to go very deep, but what I do care about, is that they care enough to comeback, even shorthanded.

That effort will pay off when the talent and needs get sorted out. As we watched the last 3 seasons, talent without heart can only take you to threshold.

It is annoying that JJ doesn't shoot, but his defense is pretty inspired. The problems continue to be that Boobie Gibson gets better looks than CV, and that is a problem with the talent mix in the backcourt. At this point, I'm not sure Stuckey could pass gas.
  19. max

max All-Star

Thanks.

We are down 2 starters from a championship core. That is pretty huge.

When the guys were out there trying to win games on the West coast with JJ, summers and co I was thinking how in the heck are we going to win. How can some 2nd round picks lead by a struggling PG beat a 50+ win team in their building. Answer - its very hard.
  20. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

BenGo's injury sums it all up. 4 players collapsed on him, and he was going to the rack for his own shot, as a result, injury!! Had he dished out of that, never would've gotten hurt. But they fought back.

I wish somebody would tell the guards that Charlie V is just as big of a weapon offensively as any of them are, be nice if they tried to get him the ball.

Austin Daye can ball. He really knows how to play basketball, his strength is a question, his consistency is in question, his toughness is a question, his readiness is a question, but there is no question that this kid knows how to play the game. In a year or two he will be better than Tay, he could end up being as good or betther than Rashard Lewis, but I can't see him being as good as Kevin Durant. On defense he needs to trust getting a hand in the face and force guys to make shots, 2 really dumb fouls on 3 point shots tonight. I'd like to see him get consistent minutes and be very agressive looking for his offense.