vs Charlotte Bobcats Wednesday November 11 7:30 pm

Discussion in 'November 2009' started by roscoe36, Nov 2, 2009.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I missed most of the game.

Bobcats vs. Pistons - NBA Videos and Highlights

It's early yet, but this team is a lot better than many people gave them credit for. I think a .500 season is completely doable. In fact, its not the new guys who are not holding up their end of the deal, but Rip and Tay being out that are making it tougher than it needs to be.

CV is sick when he gets hot, and I think Ben Gordon is my new favourite Piston.
  2. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Micro, I think Ben Gordon went from being my favorite-- I hope to be Piston (this spring)-- to my favorite Piston as well.

You know, Joe may well have had a good summer...
  3. roscoe36

Props to Bobcatsplanet for linking up to our game thread. They had more posts, although we have chat, which was pretty busy tonight.

Bobcatsplanet Forum

Good job Cats fans, you got some pieces, be patient. Your day will come.
  4. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Yes. Our great defense was due to the fact that we hit shots. All defense is predicated on offense....especially offenses where people run around and deep in the shot clock we make one pass and its a contested jumper.
  5. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Finally saw the FSD replay. Very entertaining. ben and BEN can compete and hold their own against anybody, gonna be a minute before CV can, but his day is coming.

CV is to Rodney Stuckey what a running game is to a young QB. If CV and ben are doing what they were brought here to do then it takes a ton of pressure off of Stuckey and he can play an efficient floor game like he did tonight, by far his best game in a long time.

Next game isn't until Sat, fellas will get plenty of practice time, it really paid off for them tonight, you could see the adjustments.
  6. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Wowie zowie. Eight games in and only one game behind the Cavs.

Well, that was a hoot. Couple of big runs (13-3 and 11-4) in the second with three guards, and then the halftime "we're-not-coming-out-flat-in-the-third-in-front-of-LB" speech really ramped the team up - 21-3 run. I guess this is what it means to have a team with a bunch of guys who can score. Once they get going look out.

- 60% shooting in the first three periods

- 10-12 from the line in the second, 3-8 for the Cats, ouch

- Decent boardwork - the Cats up four on the offensive end, but they had a lot more missed shot opportunities

- Assists up despite BenG missing an obvious lob to Jerebko in the first. Somebody made sure he knew not to take that jumper again and he got JJ a lob dunk later in the game.

- Daye never met a travel he didn't like. Which got me to watching how many times somebody picked up that pivot foot. It's a bunch, including about four out of bounds plays.

- What's wrong with Wilcox? Yeah, I know he's not an all-star, but he played way better in Seattle. He looks like he's lost all confidence.

- Six boards for the league's leading rebounder. Somebody was paying attention.

- Gerald Henderson looks way too much like Gerald Henderson. I though he was Gerald one for a while until I realized he'd be in his 50s now.
  7. dba

P.S.

Pistons 98, Bobcats 75 - NBA- nbcsports.msnbc.com

On CV and BG...
    "They've taken the challenge of allowing me to coach them," Detroit coach John Kuester said. "They've bought into it."

BG...
    He had a season high in assists and didn't have a turnover for the second time this season. The former Chicago Bulls guard has scored at least 19 points in every game this season.
    Gordon was wide open once in the third quarter, but chose to pass to Villanueva for an open shot.
    "That's just playing the game the right way," said Gordon, who signed a $55 million, five-year contract. "Sometimes, you have to give up a good shot to get a great shot.
    "Charlie had it going."
    Gordon said he didn't know Villanueva outscored Charlotte 18-12 by himself in the third quarter.

Detroit's Will Bynum scored 16 points and the 6-foot guard sparked a second-quarter run with a baseline drive and dunk past the 7-1 Chandler.
    "That got us going," Gordon said. "Will is one of those guys that is a freak of nature."
    Bynum said he tried to dunk on Chandler once in high school.
    "I missed," Bynum said.

NOTES: Detroit's Richard Hamilton (right ankle) and Tayshaun Prince (lower back) didn't play and Kuester said both players "looked better" earlier in the day. Hamilton said "probably not" when asked if he expected to play on an upcoming road trip, starting Nov. 17 against the Lakers and ending Nov. 22 at Phoenix.
  8. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

They have a lively forum. Some gems from the game thread:

By the way, I forgot that it was against Charlotte last year that Bynum had his record-breaking 4th quarter scoring spree.

My favorite was this running dialogue about LB postgame comments:
    Priceless!! :pound:
  9. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Missed both the game and chat and we wind up thrashing LB's team. So wanted to join yall for chat but my boss was breathing down my neck all morning. Glad they won this game with ease. The game could have been played down the wire last season.

Who would have thought it, without RIP and TAY, we are at .500 and could have easily been 2 games above if we play consistently for 4 quarters.
  10. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I'm not even 50% sure of how they're doing it, but the Pistons do a really good job on defense of playing the passing lanes, playing with their hands up and shrinking the floor. They either pick off/deflect so many passes or they push people under the backboards where the player with the ball is surrounded.

I watch most of these games with my mouth hanging open (OK, I live most of my life with my mouth hanging open but still) staring in disbelief that some of these teams the Pistons are playing are in the NBA. It has happened too many times though for it to be coincidental.

Ben Gordon might not be a point guard, but he is a better passer than anyone they got from the 2. I would like to see more of the 2 man game between he and CV.

Watching the Bobcats last night reminded me of this article from Pistons lover/Joe Dumars fanatic Bill Simmons at ESPN.

31. Michael Jordan
    If you missed it, MJ served as honorary captain of America's team for the Presidents Cup two weeks ago. According to this column by Bob Verdi, MJ showed up that Monday (in San Francisco, where the tournament was held), then participated in all the preliminary events. And he definitely stayed through the weekend for the Cup itself. Glancing through this photo gallery, it looks like he had a wonderful time. There's even a photo in which he appears to have gotten to second base with President Bill Clinton. And, of course, it seems like his new girlfriend had a wonderful time.

Nice one-week vacation for MJ, right? The Cup wrapped up Oct. 12, just 15 days before the start of the NBA season. And normally, this wouldn't be weird … but Michael Jordan is the team president of the Charlotte Bobcats.

That same week, I was in New York and heard the following story from Someone Who Knows Things: Larry Brown was talking to one of Jordan's friends about something that didn't have anything to do with Jordan. Right as they were hanging up, Brown casually mentioned to this friend, "Hey, if you talk to Michael, can you tell him that I'm trying to get ahold of him?" And normally, this wouldn't be weird … but Larry Brown is the coach of the Charlotte Bobcats.

(Needless to say, I won't be picking the Bobcats for the 2010 playoffs.)

Bill Simmons' NBA season preview and 33 most intriguing NBA people - ESPN
  11. dba

If Q can manage to teach V to set a decent P, then the P & R game ought to be unstoppable.

Too bad the new defense rules made the old two man clear out obsolete.
  12. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

wow, now Will Bynum can dunk, these were two nasty ones against Cha... can't believe that dude's 2 inches smaller than me and slams it like that.
    Plus, one really nice pass out of the post by Ben. And one's gotta love how Ben Gordon fed CV for the open 3. This team is good, if they get a decent C fot RIP it can be great.
  13. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

C has arguably been their best position this year.
  14. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

Bynum's getting lots of love on ESPN today.... for the top 3 highlights of last night... not only is Bynum #3 with the break away... but he's #1 with the facial...

Nice to see some love for Detroit once inawhile.
  15. roscoe36

Unfortunately, that show by Bynum may cost Detroit $$$ in the offseason.

But I am happy to see a little guy who paid his dues, earning his payday. That's how it is done when you are undrafted.

Caught this on Wikipedia,

Maybe something good did come from Curry being here.
  16. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Everyone knows you can't trust the info from Wikipedia. Rufus Henry brought in Wii The Thrill Bynum.
  17. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yeah I read the whole Bobcat game thread at their site and it was priceless, I was rolling at their comments, and it was even more funny since I already knew the out come of the game. My favorites were:

Rsxnova
    Shrimpy Jackson
    docend24
    Bobcat Matt
    Spectre

Ziggy
    We at times have beauties like these in our chat room...Roscoe I know you got a lot on your plate, but any chance you can occasionally give us the best of chat after game nites??

Seems like we similar things in common with a rebuilding team.....looking for a feed to watch them on:)
  18. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

ESPN must have updated their order. They are now showing WB as the # 4 top play with the block and run down for the Jam and then the facial as # 2 vs Chandler. They gave Andre Igoudala reverse baseline jam as # 1.

However we did get more love as JMAX got the # 7 top play of the night for his block of Gerald Henderson Jr's attempted stuff at the front of the hoop.
  19. roscoe36

Absolutely no chance. I really don't have the time. I would be happy to help others get a hold of a transcript (when I remember) but adding editorial work is something I just can't accommodate these days.
  20. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Three Piston clips on the SC Top Ten! Yah, gotta love it. WillIAm got up on both of those...the breakaway dunk was better than AI's baseline dunk if you ask me, he kind of just threw the ball into the hoop.