vs Boston Celtics Wednesday January 20 7:30 pm

Discussion in 'January 2010' started by roscoe36, Nov 3, 2009.

1. S.J.

S.J. Bench Warmer Forum Donor

THANK YOU PISTOOOOONSSSS!!!!

OMG! I'm so happy man.. i watched (and recorded) the entire game.. and maan..

That block from Maxiell got me stand up from my sit and start yelling like a crazy man!!! lol!

And then again that block from Big Ben to Rasheed too..

And the BLock from Charlie V to Rondo (that I thought it was a goaltending) and the last 2 three pointers from C.V. too gotm e freaking!!

Man.. wow..

Thank you!
  2. Mossberg

Mossberg Bench Warmer 3x Fantasy Champion

Agreed. I haven't been this animated for a Pistons game in quite a while! I enjoyed every minute of it!
  3. copper

copper Bench Warmer

They finally are playin hard. which is tough for a squad that has so many players missing nightly. I have been very impressed with Daye. I have confidence in his ability moreso than I do in Tays.
  4. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Good win. 4 of 5 in the win column. Homestand continues.

The good: except for Wilcox, who just played 8 minutes due to a bad back, and Atkins, who simply can't play NBA basketball, all the guys we played were at least even for the game. Stuckey led the way in that department. Something to do with his 28 points. Stuckey had his outside shot going, but mostly he just drove the ball inside. Almost relentlessly. But then he would back off a bit and nail a short jumper. Good stuff.

CV hit a triple late to cap off 19 points of scoring. JMAX hit several shots. Daye scored some. Rip shot poorly, had way too many turns (8), but at least also managed 8 assists. Hey, at least he is trying to do more than just shoot jumpers off plays ran for him.

Ben just gathered in the boards and played fine D tonight. JMAX of course played great D too. Both Ben W. and JMAX managed to send a Sheed shot packing.

CV continues to score in a variety of ways. Not too bad on D tonight.

Summers sniffed about a minute or two of floor time. Hit a shot. Pretty good for getting so little playing time.

Reading the boards, I see Bynum is due back next Wednesday. Well, we just got 2 games, back to back Friday and Saturday between now and Wednesday vs. Memphis. That's the Pacers Friday and Portland Saturday. We don't know when Gordon or Tay could return. Who knows though, we could be full strength (rustiness aside) by that Memphis game.

Stuckey pulled down 11 boards to go with his 28 points. 4 assists. Very very good game. I always like to see anyone outdo any icky green player.

Obviously, without Garnett, Boston is not as good as they could be. But neither are we with several players either out or playing with an injury or two. Again, good win.

Guess I'll go check out the standings and see if we have gained any on the 8th spot for the playoffs. I'd by far rather see us get into the playoffs, where we can gain more invaluable playoff experience vs. getting some draft pick who on this team probably would not play.
  5. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Told ya the Celtics were beatable without KG. Although it didn't appear the Pistons were sure they could beat them the way they played giveaway in the first qtr...... With 8 turnovers they fell behind 30-21 at the end of one.

The Pistons rebounded in the second qtr with some nice play by Max and Daye who had to spell JJ because of foul trouble.

Two great defensive efforts in the third and fourth quarters by the Pistons carved out the victory as your fellow forumites in the chat cheered the team on.

Stuckey redeemed himself for the poor game on Monday with a near triple double ~27 pts, 11 brds and 6 assists, and he also chipped in 2 steals and only 2 TO's. In contrast Rip Hamilton nearly had a triple double too with 12 pts 8 assists and 8 turnovers.....:sssh:. It should be noted that all 8 of his turns were in the first half. In fact the Pistons had 15 turnovers as team in the first half and only 2 in the second half...and that stat may be the key to the game as the Celtics got 23 pts off the 15 turns in the first half.

Ray Allen helped us out a lot with his 3-10 shooting including going 0-4 from beyond the arc....He did not have game tonight.

Wilcox started the game but must have aggravated his back again and played only 8 mins. Chucky Atkins who got sandwiched by Big Baby and Perkins I think in the second qtr appeared to be hurt enough to keep him out of the rest of the game but sure enough right after the Pistons rolled off a 12-4 run to go up 68-64, Atkins comes in and the Celtics close out the 3rd qtr on a 5-1 run to tie the score at 60 at the end of three. The Celtics then went up 76-71 with Atkins in there obviously hurting from the earlier hit but the Pistons held in there and went ahead for good on a jumper by Stuckey which came from a nice assist from Atkins. Atkins was blocked a couple of plays later and was pulled for good. From that point Rip returned and the Pistons finished the game on a 15-10 run with a key tip in by JJ and a game clinching three by CV who finished with 19 pts.

Stat wise the game was evenly matched as it was played on the floor in the second half.
    >>>Celtics .....Pistons
    FG 42.9% ..... 42.4%.
    FT 75% ........76.2%
    3pg 26.3%......28.6%
    assts 17........19
    TO's 18.........17
    BS....7............7

The Pistons excelled in boards 45-35 including a 13-5 offensive board advantage.

Mrs. D was interview by Eli during one of the timeouts and confirmed that a sale of the Pistons is possible..but she didn't want to confirm it.

Also note that NBA League Pass is free this week until Sunday for non-subscribers on DirecTV and some cable outlets, so check your TV for those back channels and you might find the games...tonight, & Friday thru Sunday (TNT tomorrow)
  6. max

max All-Star

I went to this one. Great game. I thought for sure the Pistons were going to lose in the 1st half as Rondo and co were seemingly going inside at will. Seemed like they took 3/4 of their shots from within 2 feet.

Then things changes in the 2nd half. Defense tightened up and the Pistons forced a lot of turnovers.

Great games by Stuckey, Rip, CV and Ben. JJ was limited due to foul trouble. Austin Day can shoot the rock.

I have seen Sheed play in person for well over 100 games and he was noticeably slower in that game. He has lost a few steps on both ends of the court. Maybe he was ok playing limited mins but it was a good call not to expect him to be a starter this year.
  7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Oh yeah! Defense is so much fun to watch when it's your team doing it and so frustrating when your team is getting locked down.

This game pretty much makes my basketball watching season worth it.

Rip was just nasty (the way your Mom would use that word) in the first half. Terrible. How many high cross court passes can you throw in a row before you stop doing it? A: 8. But overall, we are just a better team when he's in the game and we are competitive. He gets the ball moving and is way less selfish than his reputation here IMO.

Except for getting blocked 3 times, doing a little charging, and pumping up his offensive rebounding stats with what looked like intentional misses, Stuckey was pretty sweet tonight (probably the best game he'll have all year). Tenacious really. I think if KG would have been in the game, his 11-24 would have been more like 5-24 and his 6 offensive rebounds would have been more like 1 or 2, but KG wasn't in and Stuck was like a heat seeking missle for the rim.

Once again, when Charlie V is having a real game, we win. It's a bit of a pattern.

Maxiell and Ben were awesome too.

Daye really came through and looked like a legit Prince backup to me. What's the opposite of "sneaky" long? Maybe Conspiculously Long. He gets steals, rebounds, and blocks that he shouldn't get.

JJ was having a rough go trying to guard Pierce, but was getting star jobbed by the refs a bit too. He came back strong in the final stretch I would say and came up with some key plays.

Give Kuester a little credit for this one. He went deep, all the way to Summers, his backbone move to have good players came off the bench was huge as our bench played inspired ball, and he was unconventional when CA went down and wasn't afraid to instigate a 2-way mistmatch with Daye running the point for a while. Good stuff.
  8. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Sheed, get over yourself.
  9. pistonsloyalist

pistonsloyalist First Round Draft Pick

Interesting that Rasheed is really showing his age this year (his shooting percentage is also way down), while Ben Wallace has turned back the clock.
  10. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Nice to see you around PL. :)

That block by BEN on Sheed was awesome.

AWESOME.
  11. pistonsloyalist

Thanks. I hope somebody can find and post a pic of that block.
  12. max

max All-Star

I also like the take away by Day. Day just took the ball right out of Sheeds hands.
  13. pass99

pass99 Team Captain Forum Donor

Great game tonight. Consistent energy on the offensive and defensive ends. The first quarter was the dominate clamp style by Boston. The key was a refusal by the Pistons to fold.

There were two players from the Pistons tonight who played their best game in some time.

Stuckey had his finest game (overall) against the best team in the East. Regardless of the position played, he was aware of opportunities that he let come to him.

JMax played in and then out. Both offensively with his 15 foot jump shots and defensively challenging high with Sheed and Perkins...he played a complete game. They really had no answer for him. Sure wish we could bottle this intensity on a consistent basis.

Some solid rotations by Q. No panic and a very good zone played when needed. He might be getting slightly more adventurous outside of his clipboard. Sometimes it might be best to let slide that board downward and give a long lookup up into their eyes while talking.

Off hand notes:
    • Anyone notice the attention Sheed played toward Doc while he was explaining things in the huddle? How many years did we see just the opposite?
    • Allen lost this one for the Celtics. Under playoff pressure, this guy will hit the big shots, unlike tonight. Still, the key might be in asking the role of such talent. Is there a common template most teams can use as a default? The latter means some combination of quickness that has a deadly ability to hit 3 pt. shots and the smoothness of navigation through the middle and finishing. A younger Allen would not have waited so long on comfort stop gaps, to get his game going, when the outside shot was void. If the Celts are going to beat the Lakers, then it will have to be Allen and Rondo fine-tuning this template.
    • Interesting appearance from Karen Davidson. Lot of pressure on her and the minority owners. I thought her appearance was a very healthy sign and a serious acknowledgment of leadership awareness (JD needs to pick up on this). In a sense, you have concentrations away from deviant closure loops. This means group concentrations and energy share perceptions. Translucent walls bleed light reflections that bounce certain angles from: compete, collaborate or walk away. Very similar to A. O. Hirschman's: Exit, Voice, and Loyalty.
    Good victory tonight.
  14. pistonsloyalist

Yes, a refreshing bit of honesty and openness from Pistons management.
  15. pistonsloyalist

Good insight; his reliance on the clipboard as security blanket may be lessening.
  16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I like his clipboard capabilities though.

I wish we could get a better feel for what Kuester is like on a day to day basis (with audio). Does he repeat everything twice like most coaches when they show them in practice on NBAtv? When someone messes up his desk everyday, does he do anything about it? Does he ask CV if he will come off the bench or does he tell him that he will.

So hard to know what a coach is like by just watching them fidget on the sidelines.
  17. baller

baller First Round Draft Pick

I read about JJ's foul trouble, was it from guarding Pierce?

Obviously the nba refs favour allstar players like Lebron "cant walk" James but is it common for rookies to get a lot of fouls like JJ? Maybe it's because he takes a lot of responsibility in defense but I still feel he doens't deserve a whole lot of what they call on him. The same thing in offense when he drives he seems to be considered fair prey by the refs.

I donno, maybe I'm over analysing.
  18. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Nice post pass.. well done sir.
  19. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Gosh can this team do anything right? We blew a golden opportunity to solidify our lottery pick and blew it, why, because Stuckey and Maxiel decided to play the best game either of them has played in the last 2 seasons. Austin Daye all of a sudden decided to gain some court savvy even when his three ball wasn't falling and Big Ben keeps turning back the hands of time. And "Dumb Rookie Coach" has started to figure out a rotation that actually works.

But I have faith, I have faith that upon the return of Will Bynum, Bengo and Tay that "Dumb Rookie Coach" will play overplay Tay, Bengo and Rip will lose their "RHYTHM" by having to share time and shots, and Will-B will once again be a ball hog in a contract year, hopefully they'll screw up this new found chemistry and success and get back to losing soon enough.

Or maybe we can use Tay to trade UP in the draft.
  20. BigBen

BigBen Second Round Draft Pick

Great win.. we have great team even withouth Tay, Gordon and Bynum... but when they'll be back we're going to win 10 in a row....btw if anyone has a video of Ben blocking Sheed I would appreciate it..