vs Boston Celtics Wednesday December 29 7:30 pm

Discussion in 'December 2010' started by roscoe36, Oct 19, 2010.

1. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Not sure if the Pistons would have won with all-star KG in the lineup the whole game, but remember we were without Stuckey who is a member of the all-Dumars team, so the match up was even.:)

Great games from TMac, who first delivered 5 assists in the first qtr and finished with 8, and then delivered the key buckets in the second half to keep the Celtics at bay.

Daye came in and hit 5-6 shots in the second qtr when both teams were struggling. Even when Q tried to pull him for Tay, Tay overruled Q and told him that the "kid is playing great, leave him in there"

Wilcox would be my third star, as he either grabbed boards or kept tipping them to his team mates. I have not assessed his overall defense yet, but in terms of scoring, hitting FT's and grabbing boards, he is ahead of Max on Richter scale.

Good win over a the best team ...record wise ...in the east
  2. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Well a win against Boston, without Rondo, Perkins and KG ...... so what I'll take it, we got spanked at home by the Clips, beggars can't be choosy.

T-Mac started at PG in the backcourt with Gordo and it worked. BG was hot early hitting the Pistons first 7 points. Wilcox had to come in early for CV who picked up 2 quick fouls and brought a great energy and played some fantastic basketball.

In the 2nd qtr Austin "All" Daye got some run and made the most of it, the young fella was super hot and scored 12 points in about 9 minutes of action and played solid enough on the defensive end to make sure that it wasn't a fruitless effort and we took an 8 pt half time lead into the locker room.

Now onto the 3rd qtr, this is what I ALWAYS measure, we rarely win the 3rd qtr of basketball games, this is when a team either blows us away or we give away whatever lead we built. In the 3rd qtr CV had a super hot hand and scored 11 points. the best part of the 3rd qtr, we won it! We won it by 4 points and extended our 8pt halftime lead to 12!!!!!

On to the 4th qtr, T-Mac had it going down the stretch by scoring 11 of his 21 in the 4th and when he wasn't scoring he was getting us into our sets and/or setting up his teammates for easy looks. If you heard anybody's post game comments it was clear that T-Macs ability to Quarterback this team is the reason why the team looked so good tonight, they (Tayshaun, Mateen Cleaves and Q) were also taking (not so) subtle shots at Stuckey's inability to orchestrate and run the team.

In each qtr we had a hot hand and throughout the entire game T-Mac and Tayshaun just gave us solid basketball, 2 good experienced pro's on the court who know what to do at any given moment on the court. Ben made hustle plays and Wilcox caught and finished in the paint, just an excellent game played by all tonight.

Savor this one folks because we're headed west to play the Lakers, Suns and Jazz (we never win in Utah) and return home to play the Bulls ......... YIKES!!!!!
  3. Pistons0809

Pistons0809 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I heard that during a short time when I happened to be tuned into Boston's broadcast via NBA league pass.

Any predictions on Charlie's post-game tweet?
  4. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Not much to complain about. Bynum was kept to just 12 unproductive minutes even though Stuckey missed the game with the flu. It would seem that when Stuckey gets back - he can take those 12 minutes and keep everything else pretty much the same. Of course, JMAX will be needed for some defensive tasks here and there. Still got to get Summers involved in this season to get the best out of this team.

Of great significance, and I think everyone was rooting for this except for maybe some yet disgruntled fans in Toronto, TMAC got 21 points, and 8 assists, in a start at point guard. Seems like old times. TMAC is not owning the inside like he once did, but he is driving in on occasion, and scoring when he does- if not dropping off an assist. TMAC was left open a couple of times off some good plays we ran - and he hit the shots. Looks like his shot is spot on - can't leave him at all. And if he was not left open - he just rose over people and scored.

Gordon got us off to a decent start picking on Robinson. Tay for the game scored plenty enough. Wilcox gave us some scoring around the hoop and 8 rebounds. CV, after sitting much of the 1st quarter with foul trouble, got hot in the 2nd half on the 3 ball.

Great to see Daye play. His 12 points led us in the first half. One of his threes was deep deep. One was after he side stepped a defender.

Wonder how long Daye is going to get iced now by Kuester for having a great game. How much more can you embarrass your poor coach by playing like that?

Rip did a little of this an' that. Six assists. The best thing - I see no attitude problem - cause this change to Gordon starting at shooting guard is seeming permanent.

Ben Wallace actually played something on the order of starters minutes.

Monroe got just under 10 minutes, so between him and Daye, just a little over 20. I call this good enough on youth development. Lets see if Q can keep up the good job on that score. Monroe's highlight was a hook made off a pick and roll. Missed the darn free throw though.

Boston made a game of it despite being shorthanded. Or I should say, Pierce decided to make a game of it, trying his level headed best to get his team back in the game. Good job by the Pistons of keeping that lead in double digits just about the whole 4th. Lots of clutch shots and free throws made when we needed them. Of note, it kind of seemed TMAC, in the end, got the best of Pierce in the quarter - something any NBA fan would enjoy watching.

Gordon did spend some time playing the point late first quarter.

Yes, Daye was fouled on his dunk attempt.

Thats 3 teams with winning records we have beat of late - and we should have beaten Chicago too. This team can play. Time for a playoff push - no more talk of next year.

Have a great nite everyone.

GO PISTONS!!!!!
  5. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

I find it interesting how Stuckey's teammates (namely Prince and Hamilton) are always taking shots at Stuckey and Stuckey never fires back at them. Maybe Prince ought to realize what he is and not try to take over the entire freaking team in fourth quarters with his bogus one on one crap? But I'm sure he's incapable of looking in the mirror and realizing that he (they) are just as much at fault. It seems like everyone likes to blame Stuckey for their own problems.
  6. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Great recap and analyses as well, thanks guys.
  7. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

rip and tay want to be men and if it is not happening in bball they point fingers toward stuckey.

pathetic.
  8. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

In no way what-so-ever is T-Mac a long term solution at the PG position, but on this team, made up the way it is, he's a 100% upgrade over Stuckey and Bynum. Stuckey can not run this team (or any team for that matter). T-Mac just understands how to play the game at this level. We've been in enough games down the stretch to easily have a .500 record and the 7th playoff seed locked up, but our inability to execute down the stretch kills us.

In the 4th qtr, Stuckey dribbles at the top of the key either waiting to feed Rip or Tay, who can not deliver in those instances. Stuckey can't take over because his game isn't suited for the 4th qtr. In the 4th you need to be able to make a jump shot with a hand in your face, and STuckey can't do that. One of the coolest things I saw tonight was Rip and Tay DEFERRING to T-Mac in the 4th qtr, he ran our offense beautifully, what he did tonight is what's been missing since Chauncey left.

I'm not saying start T-Mac over Stuckey (but we have won both games where he and Gordon start in the backcourt) but I definitely think Stuckey needs to sit in the latter part of the 4th qtr.
  9. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Why does Stuckey need to sit crunch time over Hamilton or Prince? He is certainly not any worse than they are. And for the record, there never was a "crunch time" in this game. The Pistons had a double digit lead for much of the second half and 4th quarter.

And again, it's a bit quick to jump on McGrady's bandwagon. Only once this year has McGrady backed up a 10+ performance with another 10+ point game. In fact, in 5 games following a 10 point game, he's averaged just 5.4 points on just 38% shooting, proving he cannot do this every night. At his age, McGrady really struggles to put together solid games in a row.

By the way, you gotta love the overreactions after one game. There are several games that Stuckey has had this year that were better than what McGrady did tonight, but I guess we just forget about those. Let's only harp on the bad ones (even though the good outweighs the bad by a lot).
  10. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Floor Spacing, it's tough having a guard on the court who can't catch and shoot out to the 3 point line. If folks pay attention you'll notice that late in the 4th you have to knock down jump shots, triples in particular to win, especially since most teams don't have a dominant big to dump the ball into. It's not a knock on Stuckey, his game is best in the open court, when the game tightens up and teams lock in defensively down the stretch, he struggles and that is no secret.

No he isn't, but he's not a good player to have on the court standing weakside, teams will and do cheat off of him. Rip and Tay can hit shots from beyond the arc. For the Record, I think Rip should be on the bench too in favor of Ben Gordon.

Getting his health, rhythm, wind, legs and timing back has been a journey, he continues to show he's VERY close to getting all of the aforementioned back, he continues to get better and better, and show more and more of the total package of his game, remember it wasn't too long ago T-Mac wouldn't even attempt a jumper, now look at him.
  11. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

You see, my mindset is different than yours. I think you need at least one slasher out there at the end of games, who will put pressure on the opposing team's defense and pressure on the officials to blow the whistle. Stuckey is the only player who can do that on this roster, plus he's an excellent foul shooter to boot (always better to have more than one option to go to to knock down foul shots when the opponent starts intentionally fouling to extend the game). Plus, Stuckey is far and away our best defensive guard. If you have Gordon, Hamilton, T-Mac out there, you aren't going to be getting many (if any) defensive stops, which are just as critical, if not more so.
  12. jayborne

jayborne Bench Warmer

Fun game.

Even though it was because of the team we were playing, it was good to see the Palace nearly filled and feeling lively. Really sucks that KG gets injured less than 5 minutes after I found my seat, making me question whether I ever want to wear my KG Timberwolves jersey again (last time I wore it was Game 7 of the 2010 Finals).

Good to see Austin Daye playing again, even though I'm not sure he appeared at all in the 3rd after the hot shooting quarter (missed most of it). I literally expected every shot he took to fall. It'd be great to have a player who inspires that much confidence on a regular basis. T-Mac had flashes of the old T-Mac (sans any semblance of explosion).

Boston, other than Pierce, just didn't really seem there. Disappointing really.

Interesting stat I saw on Truehoop:

13. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Actually that is something we agree on, I think the same thing

Problem is, how often have you seen him do that in the 4th qtr of basketball games.

He certainly is, but how often does he go to the line in the 4th qtr?

I'm not so sure about that, we BOTH know he struggles to keep up with guards OFF THE BALL and we're constantly frustrated with his inability to challenge a jump shooter late in games, again, remember that late in games most points are going to come off jump shots. Now on the ball he's pretty good, but we BOTH know he won't fight through or around a screen to save his life or at least get a defensive stop.

They did OK tonight. I'll admit Gordon getting caught on switches causes a real problem, but I'm actually surprised by how good T-Mac has looked on the defensive end, his overall feel for the game is ridiculously great and he always seems to be in position on defense, also his lateral movement and anticipation skills are good enough so he rarely gets beat off the first step which allows the help Defense time to rotate.

Lastly, let's be honest ......... I don't believe that Stuckey's teammates like playing with him, we can easily see that Rip and Tay don't. But tonight ALL the players gushed about how Tracy got everyone involved and kept the team organized.
  14. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

These are good points (well, you are rather pseudo-enlightened on the latter sentence).

There has to be an understanding on how combinations are playing out. The time element is important. The lack of lateral movement throughout the whole team (as in years) means that you must understand and define what your investments (as history) affords you to accept or reject. Stuckey, from both an investment strategy (as in financial and knowledge ability) is the lesser of this organization's concerns. There as so many gaps, that an energy level of stability must revolve around some point of commitment. The rainbow of hues that arch from the heavens must settle toward points of grounding. What ever names are expected as a project (ROY G. BIV.) should end in the final bending of a Stuckey violet.
  15. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Great win tonight!
  16. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

TMAC with Gordon should start if they continue to play like that. TMAC opens things up for Gordon.

Start TMAC, Gordon, CV and Tay. Use either Wilcox or Ben with that foursome. The problem is, you might win some games and there goes the draft pick.

KGreg, you continue to say what I have been forced to admit about Stuckey. So I am not going to repeat much. I think Joe has to seriously think about curtailing the Stuckey at point experiment. His shot is not steady enough, his drive is too one dimensional (straight on) for late in the game and he does not excell in running the offense. I have been givng Stuckey leeway because of our poor big play but that doesn't seem to bother TMAC who is not even a point guard.
  17. Pistons0809

Pistons0809 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

"Great win tonight !! Much appreciated support from the fans .. As usual!!" - DaJuan Summers, via Twitter.

"One of the few things we can never get back is TIME. Do what you need to do today, so you can have a better tomorrow." - Austin "Me wanna go home" Daye, via Twitter.

Some post-game tweets from two Pistons who haven't been very welcome in Mechanic Kuester's garage. Oh, and speaking of TIME, I think it might be TIME for Clue to put Austin Daye back into the rotation!
  18. MisterZ

MisterZ First Round Draft Pick

Not really a game post, but I ran into CV at the bar tonite. He was a nice guy and took photos with my cousin & I. I asked him if he had a chance to say anything to KG tonite about what he said the previous game, and he said no he didn't. I also added that I hated KG and her agreed. That's what I like to hear in these days of everyone being buddy-buddy in the NBA.. The Detroit/Boston rivalry should be that way.. I was also at the game and was disappointed by the amount of green in the crowd..that's just not right..
  19. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

At the end of what Tay said was, "It comes with experience". Mateen was killing me with that joker smile and said what everyone else wanted to say. But, as of now, Tracy is best served in small doses. By the way, is it me or when someone is moved out of the starting line-up, they get a stomoch virus? Don't worry Stuckey, the only way you are not the Pistons' point guard is if you get traded.
  20. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

I strongly suggest to check out silvertongue's latest summary - not thissummary itself but "red flag" comments...he breaks some self(?)appointed taboos there.