1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

vs Boston Celtics Tuesday November 2 7:30 pm

Discussion in 'November 2010' started by roscoe36, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Stuckey does seem to disappear for a 7 minute or so stretch in the 4th Q's. It happened against OKC and the CHI.

While he didn't have a good game shooting or passing last night, he did pull in 1 rebound in 39+ minutes last night. I'm no mathematician, but I think that comes out to something like 1.1 rebounds per 48 minutes.

Charlie V got his vaunted 17 and 7 last night. There are 2 basketball games for him though, shooting the ball and everything else. Tommy Heinsohn said if he could lift his knees on D he could be an All Star.

Typically CG did his best work post game on Twitter.

Pistons' Charlie Villanueva calls out 'KG' via Twitter after game against Celtics | MLive.com

2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

KG needs to shut his mouth. What kind of guy feels the need to trash talk against a winless team and make a joke out of alopecia and cancer patients at the same time?

3. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

4. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Stuckey is the best player on a team of role players which during the mid part of the decade was not a bad situation. But if he is our best player, then you know why we were ranked 30 in the preseason power rankings.

The part about disappearing translates back to the part where the team needed a real PG to direct the team during the critical crunch time, and unfortunately the decisions from the point and the mis-direction from the bench probably cost us where could be 2-2 or 3-1 at best.

Not saying that we had a chance to go 4-0 the way the C's were out playing us last night, but I am thinking that going into last nights game 3-0 they would have probably played with more conviction and confidence than just going through the motions as they did last night.....it was downright shameful and embarrassing.

5. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Good thoughts. I remember though in 2005 when 4 of our starters ranked in the top 50 current NBA players at the time. Anyways, I think it was 4 of them...actually coulda been all 5. That makes them more than just role players IMHO.

6. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Well, its been a while since I watched the game. Been reading comments, checking out the boxscore.

What happened? Nonsense. Daye guarding Garnett? One quick foul there. And then on a switch, their center. 2nd foul, Daye sits.

Due to the foul problems, probably not any actual decision to try something different, Daye ends up coming back in with the bench, and get this - not playing power forward. Same thing in the 2nd half. Again, Daye sits quickly with fouls 3 and 4, but comes back with the bench - and again, is not playing power forward. (He did play more power forward though toward the end of the game. Coach had to prove he is still clueless.

For those who can't figure out why it took this long before Daye did some serious scoring for us - hey, read above - he played some small forward / shooting guard this time. This has otherwise not happened this season. He mostly just kept darting to the basket, and like - what guard is going to stop him?

So we see last night - Daye is great guarding guards out on the perimeter, and he is decent guard, able to not only knock down the trey, but take the ball well to the rack. Everything you want in a shooting guard or small forward. Which is why Coach Clueless is playing him at power forward. Heaven forbid Daye gets established at shooting guard for instance. What a headache that would be for Kuester. He already has Rip and Gordon overmanning the position heavily. And you know he is dead set against ever establishing a backup for Tay. Yep, more time for Rip to play there.

Some would blame Dumars. Me, I blame the coach who puts Daye at power forward, and won't play him otherwise. If Dumars is going to fire the guy for not gifting Rip and Gordon all the minutes they demand, oh well, at least nobody could point to the utter non-sense that actually has been happening.

Monroe got to play, and got lots of bounds. Sure he does not look comfortable scoring yet. But look, scoring is hardly our biggest problem right now. We need defense and rebounding. We need somebody with height inside. Monroe is our guy for now.

Gordon is looking very confindent in his scoring, and for good reason. Everything is going in. Note to Stuck, find ways to give Gordon the ball in scoring positions. And hey, if you just set him up to where he can create, that will work. When another player is hot like that, don't look to score yourself unless they ignore you. Point guarding 101.

CV looks in good form, on his O. His D - kind of hard to separate it from team D, which is basically non-existent. Boston shooters were so wide open, they did not know whether to shoot or order pizza. My advice - tell CV to stay near the basket, have everyone else rotate. Anyway, CV, after missing a bunch of shots the last game a little closer in to the basket, was hitting them last night. At his best, CV is a very good scorer around the basket. I hope to see that continue.

Ben Wallace was never hired to start for us this time around. Mistake that is easily corrected. Stop doing it. As a guy off the bench to bring defensive energy, how can you get better than Ben Wallace. Instead, we are using him for a role he just can't fill anymore.

Some get down on JMAX. Me too, on one area - free throw shooting. Otherwise, I just want to see the guy play solid D, which he does. My best guess right now - start him with a unit of:

Stuckey, Daye, Summers, JMAX, Monroe. Have Summers rev up that 3 point shot of his. Go to the post a lot.

Bench: Rip, who can guard point guards, Tay, who can run the point, Gordon, for scoring, CV, more scoring, and Ben Wallace.

Rip did not play. Apparently he reinjured his foot. I guess they mean from the ankle problems from last year? TMAC actually looked ok on one defensive sequence, like he could actually move. But next thing - he is getting his knee looked at. Tricky thing - the legs may be coming around but can the knee take what the leg muscles can dish?

Tay is wiped out physically at this point. Put it this way, he should be averaging about 28 minutes a game, max, with the games coming this close together. What is his average, I don't know without looking but I bet its well over 35. Worse, playing along side the likes of Daye, who is too skinny to be a power forward, and CV, who just don't defend well, Tay is ending up having to contend with way too many bigs. Did I mention he was running the point lately too, ouch. Lucky he is still standing, but hey, he is playing so ineffectively it ain't doing us much good.

To summarize the good this season: Stuckey, Gordon, and CV look to be better scorers this season. Monroe adds height and youth to our front line. Daye can score and defend well - as a guard. And the bad: Kuester is still the coach. None of the other matters with a coach who won't use what he has to try to get wins.

7. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

To play the devil's advocate here, KG might have been implying that Charlie is as athletic as a cancer patient.

8. Walter

Tay's done for the season. Watch his body language. Just look at how he reacts and how resigned he looks after Rondo buried that buzzer beater. He looked like he was in a game in March with the team running a 14-48 record.

9. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I can't imagine a scenario where Rip and Tay are still here after the trade deadline .......... oh wait, yes I can ........... we are talking about Do Nothing Dumards.

10. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

At this point, I can actually imagine reading headlines like:
    "Nets offer Lopez for Hamilton; Dumars Considering It"

11. Walter

Here, I fixed it for ya.

12. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Sorry, I fixed it again.

13. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

The joke embedded in that headline is the word "Considering".
    Who in their right mind would even need one fraction of a second to "consider" a trade like that.

Answer?

(hint - he has a weakness for popcorn)

14. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

...So that hypothetical headline was a joke?

15. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Well KG cleared up Cancergate, and IMO CG looks like the dope that he is if you believe KG's story. KG claims to have said that CG is 'cancerous', cancerous to his team and cancerous to the league. Piston fans, we watch this guy everynight and KG is right on the money, CV is a loser whose IQ is all of .007 anytime he hits the court.

16. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

CV lacks many important basketball skills, but KG is a complete jerk for making that statement.

17. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It wouldn't be the first time KG has said stupid stuff. Remember the "going to war" statements a few years ago? He's like a dumb kid.

18. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

They were saying on ESPN during the Celtics game that the players were surprised that CG took what happened on the court and made it public. They're basically calling him a rat.

Doc Rivers said that it all happened right in front of him and that what KG said is exactly what happened.

What sort of event has to occur where you are regretful that someone wasn't called a cancer patient? This is humiliating as a Piston fan.

19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'm putting myself on the court and trying to imagine KG's scenario. It's ridiculous.

"Sir, I declare that you are not only a cancer to your team, but also to the league as a whole."

It's just not believable trash talk.

Personally, I'm inclined to go with the victim on this one. And Charlie wasn't purely ratting him out, he was also challenging him to a cage match. That makes me think that he is telling the truth.

20. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I believe KG called him a Cancer, in NBA terms. CG has never played in a playoff game, he's a loser, every team he plays for is lottery bound.......HEY wait a minute, maybe that was Joe's plan all along. Instead of tanking he just signed a basketball cancer that would guarantee us 5 straight lottery picks, that covers all 5 positions! Oh that Dumards is a genius!!!!!!