1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Vegas, Day 2: Courtside LIVE shoots an airball

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Jul 7, 2006.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Vegas, Day 2: Courtside LIVE shoots an airball

A warning to you Pistons fans who are already jonesing for a little Bad Boys skinny from the Vegas Summer League: plopping down a tenspot for the league’s Courtside LIVE downloads won’t scratch your itch. No indeed.

This dross, to be frank, makes the surveillance video above your favorite liquor store counter look like “Citizen Kane.”

Footage jerks, starts, blurs, buffers, hiccups and mostly shows crowd shots or guys standing during shootaround. Game footage is obscured by a foreground watermark, and sometimes the shooter scores from outside the frame. Good luck trying to figure out who did what, especially without useful screen titles or narration.

In other words, it’s like “Blair Witch Project” if the witch was holding the camera. On the positive side, most of it is in blissful silence, except for the occasional gurgle of crowd noise or a bouncing ball. But — and this is a JLo-sized one — on some clips there is an awful honking, whining background audio track that sounds like the Georgia Satellites channeling a bandsaw. So we’re not talking prime multimedia here, which is odd given that the Vegas Summer League is sponsored by Toshiba.

But I digress. Don’t waste your dough, is what I’m saying.

This is just proof, once again, of something we used to say at Langley before I was pensioned off with my 30 and a golden colostomy bag: there’s no substitute for HUMINT (human intel) in the field. Fortunately, we’ve got assets on the ground in Vegas.

Starting with the Pistons’ first game against Washington on Saturday, we will be giving you the straight dope while answering all vital questions (How did Amir look? Who’s better, Acker or Blalock? Did Cheick Samb really give an opposing center a paper cut?)

In the meantime, keep checking in. We’ll file additional game results at the VSL as they happen.

Written by LanierFan on July 7th, 2006

2. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

:laugh: :pound: OMG, Roscoe is so right. Courtside Live is worse than a junior high school videocam shoot. It's really bad. And the Day One and Day Two highlights are no more than two minutes long and have hardly any basketball in them. Horrible music and then the camera panning to the bleachers looking for anyone recognizable to NBA fans. Just horrible. I am busy figuring out how to add NBA TV to my cable package. It's hard to imagine that this coverage could be worth less than $10, but Courtside DEAD is like a very bad home movie, only at Summer League. Also, if anyone else ordered this can you tell me are you having complete stop of footage for a long pause before it starts up again? There is so much blur I can't read the numbers on the jerseys or really identify the players. Unreal! At least those of us who spent the $10 now have a thread to make fun of this video crew!

3. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I posted my comments in the summer league thread and yeah I get LOOOOOONg pauses before playback and when it does, I want to scrath out my eyeballs a la Event Horizon. To compare it with Blair witch is to insult that movie and the entire cinema verite movement.

I can't believe this is even being published. Talk about every mistake in the handbook of how to shoot video.

man what a f-n, disappointment

4. roscoe36

Great post by LanierFan. After a harrowing day travelling, the Georgia Satellites channeling a bandsaw had me quite literally, in tears.

5. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Okay if anyone is still checking their Courtside Live as bad as it is, am I right that there has been footage of only one actual game: Nuggets vs. Wizards on July 7? If anyone has seen more game footage on Courtside Live than that game, please post. Maybe there is something I'm missing here. I was hoping to get a glimpse of our guys from Game One. Thanks!

6. Slippy

no. Courtside live meant that they would shoot people on the side of the court. maybe they will interview a piston

7. roscoe36

You get what you pay for.

$10 doesn't go far these days.

The problem I have is that it's kinda like, "Look at who agreed to an interview"!

While unavoidable, I don't like to do things half-assed. If one is going to sell video, it should be worthy of purchase.

8. Slippy

i wouldn't mind some highlights from a single camera view from the stands. this is disgusting