Utah Nov 25 1PM

Discussion in 'November 2007' started by max, Nov 24, 2007.

1. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

The Pistons are slowly getting OLD before our eyes. Soon, it won't matter especially if we don't integrate the young players into the lineup.
    Still looking for 44-47 wins this season.
  2. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Oh come on... you know that's

TRUE BLUE COLLAR
  3. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

First home loss. Should have been expected since we haven't beaten the Jazz in the Flip era and there was no Sheed to throw up against Boozer.

Boozer was only 17-20 from the field to score 36 points. Most of those feeds came for Deron Williams 14 assists. Boozer probably got 28 of his 36 points in the paint as Max and Dce were no match for him. The Jazz scored at least 50 pts in the paint and I don't believe the Pistons had more than 30.

Flip was tossed near the end of the third quarter with the Pistons down 4, but 4 ft's pushed the lead up to 8 and the Pistons could never get closer than fivp after that despite the fact that Boozer sat for 3 mins near the end of the third and start of the 4th.

Unfortunately for the Pistons, Terry Porter coached just like Saunders down the stretch. Neither attempted to bring Amir Johnson to see if his long arms could block or stop Boozer. Luckily Memo was cold or this one would have been over at halftime...then again after the 12-3 run to close out the half by the Jazz maybe it was already over???? The Pistons lead by 4 at the end of one and then extended it out to 39-31 before Flip jr basically killed the offense flow and the Pistons were outscored 27-16 in the second.

Rip was supposed to be sick with the flu, but Flip played him the entire 1st qtr and he had a total PT of 37 mins on 6/16 shooting. IMO, if Tay had taken some of those shots this game would have been closer. (rip had 7 assists, so maybe he should have been more of a passer today if he had to play...
  4. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I didn't expect it because I thought Joe would make sure that the same guys did not play all the time. Stuckey is not playing, but he is injured. Afflalo has been very good and he is losing playing time to Flip Murray. Amir is not playing and unlike Darko he has not been a whiny *****. He should start playing as well. Let's just say Flip is not using everything available to him and it is going to cost him again. It seems like we are clicking the rewind button again and why should we expect the starters to pull out a playoff run when they could not do it the last 2 years?
  5. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Damn, I just realized I missed to today's game entirely....go figure.
  6. LA Dre

early 10 AM start our time Low...entertaining first 15 mins, but a struggle for the Pistons afterwards. If you have it on your DVR, no need to look at it same ole players same ole result other than Nazr getting 14 boards. ..:sssh:
  7. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

I'd prefer it if Amir did start whining. It's hard to root for a guy to get more PT, when he seems perfectly content to sit on the bench and wait his turn.

As for this game, our D got exposed. If Memo didn't shoot so many bricks this would have been a blowout. And the JMax/Dice combo is looking like a disaster defensively. Nazr was our best big man today, and that's scary.

But I'm sure Flip is thinking that if we only hit a few more shots, and followed his game plan better, we would have won.
  8. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

The Pistons took a long step backwards in this one. Afflalo got about 3 minutes. No Amir Johnson. No Samb.

With Rip having the flu, you might think Afflalo would get some quality minutes in this one. Instead, we see Prince play some shooting guard, followed by Flip Murray. As usual, nobody can predict what Saunders is going to do game to game for the rotation.
    With Sheed out, you would think Amir Johnson would get to play a bit. Instead, Amir has his minutes go down to zero, after just 5 the previous game.

The outcome of this early season game did not matter. It basically ended up being just another wasted opportunity to develop the team.

Ok, the game itself. Billups started out doing pretty well, getting inside for scores and dishing assists. He even made some outside shots. Rip was hitting his outside shots too. But Utah's Williams was getting inside on us too. A draw there for the most part.

Tay started our scoring with a triple, but really did not shoot too much after that.
    Dyess did not shoot much at first, but then hit some outside shots. Then missed a lot of outside shots. In all, his outside shooting hurt us. His rebounding was good though, as was the few times he decided to work inside. Its a shame as much potential he has to help us that he chooses not too by taking so many outside shots. As he can't defend Boozer at all, he should have been trying to get him into foul trouble.

Mohammed had a heck of rebounding game. But did anyone ever see him make a defensive play in this game? How about his work inside around the basket on offense? Weak as can be. He did get a couple of tip ins, but he should take a page from Rodman's book, pass the ball out if he gets an offensive rebound where there is anyone defending him.

Flip Murray made a couple of good drives in. About it though. Not much for all he played.
    Hayes got a bucket in the post, and then hit a couple of outside shots. Did he shoot again?
    JMAX was a bright spot. They let him shoot. People got to see that indeed he can make jumpers. And he played some pretty darn good D on Okur. And blocked some shots. Gee, it would be nice if they let our other shotblockers play some. Instead, the rest of our front line was slow. (Mohammed and Dyess were the rest of our front line.) Speaking of slow, and poor D, Hayes ain't none to fast on defense either. Thats a lot of slowness out there. In all, Boozer looked like he was all alone out there for most of the game.

Despite everything, the Pistons actually played pretty even with Utah, save for a bunch of technical free throws by Utah. Saunders got tossed arguing a call. They made the two tech free throws, and the two free throws for Tay's foul to put us down 8.
    Our last hurrah was a triple by Billups to put us down just 5 late. That was it though. Okur's triple buried us.
  9. LA Dre

Agree with your recap lee...perfect opportunity to play Afflollo, Amir and Samb, and the latter are glued to the bench.. with memo bricking all we had to do is try Amir on Boozer and Alf on Deron and we could won thos one..

Even Hayes looked good out ther scoring 8 pts in the first half but I am not sure if he even got in the game in the second half.

The Pistons will fail with Flip....
  10. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i don't think we can beat utah without sheed. in fact, we're not an elite team with sheed out of the lineup. we scored alright in the 4th quarter but it didn't matter because we couldn't get a stop.

the crowd sucked today - no energy, and when they were down 8 with 2:20 left the place started clearing out. there was no flow thanks to the terrible officiating, and the only funny part was listening to a heckler, particularly commenting when kirilenko got fouled hard and he yelled out 'down goes the russian!!' and made some rocky references.

no mason today, no matt dery on the radio, no erin announcing...yuck. i thought there'd be a better atmosphere with a sunday afternoon game, but the crowd never showed up and neither did the pistons' defense. and the missed free throws from our starters is getting old.

sidenote: milwaukee is 1st place in the central divison
  11. max

max All-Star

Its not a pipe dream to say Amir and Samb should have played considering the impact they both had in the GS game. At the time I was elated to see them and at the same time dissapointed because I knew it would probably never happen again.

Tough team comes in and Flip goes with the vets. Very predictable.
  12. LA Dre

the problem is that as long as the Pistons win two of three and stay in or within a game or two of first place, Flip gets a pass... As long as the Palace fills up, mr. davison only half cares. Flip needs to get a stern warning from both Dumars or Davison that the kids need to play at least 5 mins game or else...other wise we got a bunch of darkos on the pine...
  13. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I missed the game, but I expected Utah to play hard and give us a rough ride.

Max, I think you hit the nail on the head.

Well, I was looking for some inspiration and I believe I have found it.
  14. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

I don't think that Sheed or who the coach played specifically can explain how one guy (their go to guy) can be that wide open time after time. Can't explain how LeBron could do what he did last year in game 5. There is still no evident defensive preparation and adjustments from the coach.

Only two guys on that team can produce a win over us. And we let one of them completely open--the whole game almost. Williams at least earned his shots. The Jazz were exposed in last year's playoffs. Did our coaching staff take any notes?

One team (utah) has steady offensive sets. The other (us) don't. The one on one misses by Rip and Chauncey led to many points for Utah. It is not the loss but the state of our coaching strategies (or lack of) that is scary.
  15. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

This game was lost because our perimeter players CAN NOT STAY IN FRONT OF THEIR MAN DEFENSIVELY. Boozer did not KILL us in the paint, he clobbered us with the WIDE open elbow jumpers. That shot became open often because our bigs were always forced to rotate (more like scramble) because our guards could not check their man. Utah in turn moves the ball with great precision to get Boozer's open looks. Boozer did not just come onto the court and "Take It" to any particular defender, but Williams "Took It" into the paint at will and got the defense scrambling.

Amir and Samb would have really hurt us in this game. Amir and Samb are not good at understanding their defensive rotations away from the basket. We could have won had Afflalo played more. Here's the funny thing AA comes in and began to limit the effectiveness of Williams (no he didn't stop him because nobody can really just STOP the guy), AA had to check him because the backcourt consisted of him and Flip Jr (who had a few nice steals defensively BTW) and Williams would have murdered Flip Jr. Billups checks back in for Jr, and rather than leaving our best perimeter defender (AA) on Williams, and CB checking little Ronnie Price, he takes Williams and immediately began to get burned again!!!!!! Why oh why did the team and coaching staff not stick with AA on Williams?? Billups wanted to show DW that he was the better PG, and we lost!!!! The entire frontcourt played VERY WELL, it was the backcourts poor defense, and poor decision making offensively that lost this game for us.
  16. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Excellent post.

I disagreed with Lee and other folks who applauded AA on his defense, however, the few minutes he was in this game he did stay in front of D Williams and I was very impressed.

It did seem as if CB didn`t want to be embarrassed by D Williams resulting in a couple of bone head plays down the stretch trying to force the issue.

We are in trouble with our current rotation when facing quick penetrating guards that are well coached.
  17. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Starter 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

so Nazr grabbed 14 boards in 17 minutes? How did he do that?
  18. himat

himat Bench Warmer

If things don't change Flip needs to be fired. He is not utilizing all the players and is not doing anything about the poor defense. In the GS game the Pistons changed their game plan and they came roaring back. Flip needs to do that all the time, but he doesn't. To me a mistake is only a mistake if you do not learn from it and make sure that it does not re occur. Flip keeps going with the same game plan and he needs to change it.
  19. linwood

linwood All-Star

He's tall, and Memo plays for the 3.
  20. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Just noticed a really disturbing stat. Boozer was 17 for 20, and only took 2 fts.

Either the refs were completely biased, and didn't call any fouls against the Pistons, or from what I saw' we played zero D against him, and were never close enough to foul him.