Home Utah Jazz Friday, January 17, 2014

Discussion in 'January 2014' started by roscoe36, Oct 21, 2013.

1. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Talent assessment and just plain old smarts. I mean, seriously. I totally agree with you on the red flags with Jennings and Smith...After your last two TERRIBLE big free agent signings, with CV and BG, you'd think you'd be sure when you paid the next two guys you brought in to be no brainers, proven winners. NOPE. Just really, questionable choices.

I also want to say that I haven't given up on Smith or Jennings, in fact, I like them both. But think about the direction or lack there of, of this young team, and that starts from the top.
  2. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Remember this, the common person in all this is Dumars. I am thinking it does not matter at all who we have as a coach, as I am thinking Dumars continually calls all the wrong shots on who plays.
  3. hitafreethrow

Give Phil Jackson the head coaching position and name him GM. Watch us win 3 titles in the next 7 years.
  4. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Haven't watched the Pistons much so I can't say much. Looking at the posts about Cheeks and one about Laimbeer, it seems like we have a coach that can't imagine or demand a winning culture or, at the very least compel his players to "leave it all out on the floor." I agree that Dumars should be checking the want ads based on not only this season's team, but the last several years. The losing with consistency is hard to ignore if you are an owner. Seems like eons since 2004. Dumars can't bottle that kind of magic anymore.
  5. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Still bummed about this beat down we suffered at the hands of the Utah Jazz. This team is depressing and unless there's a drastic improvement (highly unlikely) this game has pretty much sealed Dumars' fate.
  6. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

If you're going to stuff your roster with players the advanced stat guys hate, don't you need a coach who doesn't like advanced stats?

That seems like the one thing Joe got right.
    Walter, Laimbrane and Mogilny like this.
  7. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

8. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

This is a completely horrid basketball team. Sure, we knew going into this season that the roster was unbalanced. However, the roster is the least of it's problems. This team shouldn't be this bad. You can say that this coach uses inexplicable rotations, and you would be correct, BUT THAT ISN"T EVEN 10% OF THIS TEAM'S PROBLEMS.

I have never seen a worst defensive scheme in the NBA. This team refuses to guard the three point line. It's either the scheme, or Cheeks cannot communicate with his players. I think that it is both. This team does not stop dribble penetration. This team does not rotate defensively like you would expect a competent NBA team to rotate. This team does not help after a teammate gives help to another teammate. This team is unaware of where the ball even is. I've never seen anything like it. Ever.

Offensively, and this team is offensive, this team stubbornly and willfully refuses to take advantage of mismatches. This team refuses to make the extra pass. This team refuses to ride the hot hand. This team refuses to make very simple and obvious plays. When in trouble, this team doesn't go to the P&R or the post, as it was designed to. Instead it reverts to one on one play. This is, without question, the stupidest Pistons team I have ever seen. I have been following this team for more than 30 years.

This team mentally checks out of games more often than any other Pistons team I have ever seen. This team quits easier than any other Pistons team that I have ever seen.

This is the worst coached Pistons team that I have ever seen.

Rick Carlisle would get 55 wins from this roster, even with it's flaws.

Mo Cheeks is in over his head. He is not a competent head coach in the NBA. The only reason that he is still coaching this team is that, if Joe fires him, he's next out the door.
    Walter, Laimbrane, KGREG and 3 others like this.
  9. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

May have been a conspiracy......Jackson recommends Mo knowing that he would fail and the blame would go on both MoJo and Gores flips the thing over to Phil who cleans up some bad contracts & lures some talent here based on his rep and like you say > a title comes back to Motown by 2016....
    S.J. and hitafreethrow like this.
  10. hitafreethrow

I just can't see Phil and Gores sitting down in front of Mo Cheeks and saying "This is the guy that can bring this franchise back to relevancy" No...
  11. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

Seriously?
    I disagree with that.

KGREG, you are smart. You think Budenholzer or Hollins or any good coach would wanted to come here??

Draft: Burke maybe, but MCW? Don't judge with today's newsletter, he wasn't a clear top 10 prospect. Philly got the steal of the first round.
  12. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

KCP had a huge steal to seal the win against the Wizards tonight. It isn't sexy like 20 points or 10 assists, but KCP gives the team something (perimeter defense) that it hasn't had in a long, long time. His shooting will improved as he continues to adjust to the speed of the NBA game. KCP could be an important piece of a great team.
  13. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

MCW has fallen back to earth people. Burke turns the ball over frequently. These aren't clear cut choices. I'm fine with KCP
  14. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Burke has a decent asst/to ratio. But I agree with you on KCP. He is going to be a solid player.
  15. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I think the issue with KCP vs. the point guards is that the PG spot might be harder to fill than the 2. It seems possible to succeed today with a patchwork SG but that is not the case at the point.

The Pistons are halfway there with Stuckey (If some hindsight is allowed) so they possibly could have gotten someone to compliment him (The Pistons don't believe in building the roster this way but still.) while potentially addressing a long term roster need.
    The Panda likes this.
  16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Cheeks is calling jennings a student of the game and a sponge, so maybe some upside there still.
  17. Woody

Woody All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The "sponge" seems to be a little dry and hard.
    Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.
  18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Maybe it's just in comparison to the other guys.
  19. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

20. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Please don't confuse my opinion that we should have drafted a pg with a dissatisfaction with KCP. I love that kid and feel that he's a real asset, but we needed a PG bad and we still do even though we passed on two of them in the draft.