Home Utah Jazz Friday, January 17, 2014

Discussion in 'January 2014' started by roscoe36, Oct 21, 2013.

1. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

This team is at a crisis point (and the win over Phoenix--as I pointed out in that post--did not give much confidence). The season is teetering...and has been for a few weeks now.

Every team seems to be better prepared than the Pistons. Most teams are improving. The Pistons are not improving.

Andre's play has flattened out for the time being. He needs to develop "on the ball" defense as many, after Howard, are taking him inside.

Monroe's play is flat--he continues to get blocked at the rim far too much. Monroe's play is not producing enough wins...

Jennings appears to play more at the level of a first guard off the bench player and a part time shooting guard which means the point guard position is still unsettled. Play well or not, Jennings has not been able to lead the Pistons to a better record.

Stuckey played well and has had a good season when healthy but Stuckey's good season has not prevented the Pistons from being 7 games under .500.

The coaching has not been able to overcome roster flaws and there seems to be no relief in sight. You just don't get the feeling that this team can win 8 out of ten or 15 out of 20 and make this a season.

The Pistons have assets: Monroe, Stuckey, CV contract, etc. and the question is when, not so much if, these will be put in motion.
    Lee356 likes this.
  2. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Nice to see that some fans supported Burke on his return to him home state.
    Stats looked good for him. I wish him a prosperous career.

Pistons on their way to a 6th losing season in a row.
    Looks like a 32-35 win season, based on the words used to describe our effort.
    I'm not really interested in being a playoff fan if we get in with 35 wins........:bs: :cold:
    linwood likes this.
  3. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The Pistons are still on their six day break right? Doesn't appear that they are back to play any real ball yet. Who gets tonight's game loss blame? Jennings who shot 4-13 trying to keep up with Trey Burke or Joe for not drafting Burke?

I guess Trey -you-shoulda- drafted me Joe-Burke showed him who was the best point guard on the floor tonight> 20 pts, 12 assists, 2 steals and 7 TO's and he ran the fast break through the Pistons non existent defense.

Too late for the shoulda-coulda....but would the team be playing better with the line-up of Burke-Knight starting..&..Stuckey and Bynum/Billups as the back up guards; Smith/Drummond/Middleton starting up front with Monroe/Jorts/Singler/Mitchell their back ups and then and Gigi, and JJ and BoT as the bench warmers.. Yep Knight could have started at the 2......

Anyway, it was a closely played game with the Jazz leading 27-25 at the end of one. It was 39-37 jazz when the controversial flagrant 1 foul was called on Stuckey, and the game turned then as the Jazz ran off a 19-8 run to close the half. Any bets, the league will rescind the flagrant?? Too late now.... Either way it still seem to take wind out of the Pistons.......Not sure what was said in either halftime locker room, but a 31-20 blitz in the third by the JAzz and the game was over before the end of the third

The Jazz led by as many 29...... Monroe and Smith were pulled benched and I don't believe they ever got back in the game (I had to switch back to the Knicks-Clippers game for the 4th.). When I switched back for a second and saw Favors dominating in the paint because all of our starting bigs were on the bench, then I knew Mo had thrown in the towel and was holding them for tomorrow's game.

Should have taken the wife out ....but with no Piston game for almost a week I was ready to see the boys in action...and it was just like it has been in recent years playing the Jazz as the Pistons are now 1-16 against Utah the last seven years but this time there was no Stockton or AK47 or Memo playing out there playing for them....just a bunch of 1-2 and 3 year guys who were faster and out hustled the laid back Pistons......who probably deserved the boos.....
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
    roscoe36 and Lee356 like this.
  4. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I will start out by pointing our the obvious. Our starters started the game just fine. Then Singler and Stuckey came in. Right off the bat, you knew nothing good would come of that, since they made Stuckey guard Jefferson. Its an insult for Jefferson to be guarded by Stuckey, even if he is getting up in age these days. But it would have indeed been a worse insult if we had put Singler on him. Oh, we did later, with bad results, of course. Add in total non - defense playing players like Bynum and CV, and you just got disaster.

Yes, coach was in total "How many minutes can I play Singler" mode. He even played Singler in garbage time to get him even more minutes. Winning the game was so far from coach's mind you could list a million things more important to him. Like the weather in the Spring in France in the year 417. I mean, the coach would certainly have winning as his very last priority to put the likes of what he puts in for a bench.

Now Stuckey was doing some fine scoring in this one. Completely wasted though as far as providing rest to a starter, since he is a point guard, acts like a point guard, but is not one. Instead, Bynum is designated as the point guard, which is a total joke since he is utterly lost on the floor. But hey, coach is in this fantasy land, this late in the season yet, to where he thinks guys like Bynum and Singler can play NBA basketball. Wake up coach, they can not.

And so, he gets zero energy from Stuckey. Zero energy from Bynum and Singler, who simply should not be in the NBA, and totally zero from CV. So our starters, who started out fine, find they have to fight the other team, and their own coach. Tall order. So they did not come out so great in the 3rd quarter. What do you expect with no bench, and no coach, to support you. So he quickly inserts Singler. Why not just put in Stuckey, who was scoring well in the first half? Of course, that does not accomplish the main goal of this coach, to play Singler.

Just an aside, after reviewing last game, I am blaming Singler for 28 of the points Phoenix scored. Great we still managed to win that one. But one thing I noticed totally from that game, Singler in no way adds any speed to where we give up less open shots on the perimeter. Total fiction. All we give up when Singler comes in for Smith is inside D. And a ton of scoring ability.

Now, if you look at the boxscore from this one, two things, Singler was really a lot more negative than the boxscore reads, and scored a lot less when it counted. He was well plus and scored several meaningless buckets in garbage time.

In sum, as you come up with theories about what is wrong with the team, just remember to watch the opening of this game, where our starters did just fine. Our starting five is not the problem.
  5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Yeah starting five were amazing. Gm and js had one basket each, 3 combined rebounds and 3 turnovers. Jennings got torched by a rookie that we passed on in the draft and is making a fraction of his salary. And dre was minus 20. Pope lit it up too to prove we made the right choice.

Too bad Kyle ruined it all by scoring during the non important parts of the game.
  6. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Wow. If the Pistons don't turn the corner FAST, and by FAST I mean tomorrow against Washington, I suspect a Joe will make a trade immediately that does not affect the long term financial future of the Pistons. While the roster is flawed Cheecks is proving that he's not cut out to be a head coach. I do not expect Dumars to be back next season.
    lapiston likes this.
  7. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Didn't Zach Lowe point out that the Pistons are going on 5 years straight of scoring less than and giving up more than the league average in points per possessions? They're the only team who has done that the last 4 years.

Look at the numbers they put up against the Jazz.

I thought the flagrant against Stuckey was a good call. It was an unnecessary non-basketball play that was more deserving of that call than 98% of all the flagrants called.
  8. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Agreed, clear flagrant. Our announcers would have you think lots of players just barrel into other players with their shoulders willy nilly and nobody says anything. Nope. That was a solid, flagrant foul. Now, if it was a guy like Jennings doing it, who would just bounce off the other player with no harm, that is another thing. But Stuckey can dish out some punishment. And did in this case.
    Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.
  9. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Guys, I'm seriously disgusted by this game. This game proves Dumars did EVERYTHING wrong this summer.
    Draft: Should have picked MCW or Burke instead of KCP.
    Coach: Cheecks? Bad Move. Should have opened up the money for Hollins or Budenholzer....he's doing GREAT in Atlanta.
    Free Agency: Should have just saved the money if he couldn't score Igoudala. Billups is washed up. Gigi is a dud. Will has lost a step.
    Trades: Jennings is a HUGE Mistake and may have been the biggest mistake made.
  10. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Just bad decision making by all the players on the court. The perfect example was the last possession to the first half. Smith got the rebound and instead of passing it to Jennings to set up the final play, he decided that he will do the "LeBron", dribbled around and when he couldn't penetrate, he heaved an ill-advised three pointer. When the top guy on your team is making boneheaded plays like that, you ain't gonna get anywhere. I'm starting to blame this all on the coach. He's not an alpha dog and can't get these guys to execute whatever he concocts on that whiteboard of his. He may have great ideas, but the players seem to be just doing whatever they please with no consequences.

This is why I thought Bill Laimbeer would've made a good coach for this team. This team needs a coach that can intimidate the players and make them play the right way; not someone who has issues around lipstick.
    Lee356 likes this.
  11. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

What is this based on?
  12. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Good points all.....they will get lucky and win a few games, but even this year with the eastern conference in bad mode, I don't see them winning more than 35 games and unfortunately they won't play smart or dumb enough to tank a few games to get a top 5 pick.
  13. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

His game
  14. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

You mean, 5 minutes here, 10 minutes in GT there? That game?
  15. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

"It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine" - Common
  16. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

If we've learned anything it's that signing a guy, even the best available guy, without a place to play him is a bad move.

I don't mind the KCP pick because he offers the Pistons they lack, but they could have picked up guys that do the same cheaply.

As Bill Simmons said recently, the teams you want to deal with are the teams that have to win now.
  17. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Missed the game...as Dre said, I did take the lady out. Wanted to watch the game, but, ya'll know. Looking at the box score, looked like more of the same.

This Jazz team is very similar to our own...a young team with a talented, but unproven big in Favors (Monroe), a big body that can be a defensive stud in Kanter (Drummond), and a bunch of role players...the only difference is, they are getting production out of these guys, and we are not.

I've kept my comments pretty quiet about Cheeks so far, but man, he just doesn't seem to respond very well to in game activity. This team is pretty pathetic, if you ask me.

Gores needs to pressure Joe to take out his Blackberry and make some moves, or fire him and replace him with someone who can build a roster. Joe's track record is proving to be pathetic, at best. With a few moves here or there that make him look slightly better than horrendous.
    roscoe36 likes this.
  18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

With the ability to only play js, gm, and ad at the power positions, cheeks goes with the least optimal choices. Singler at PF and jorts at C at the same time with stuck, bynum, and jennings? Is he mad? The rebounding battles were excruciating during that stretch. Bad sign when the other team doesn't bother adjusting. Cheeks commented that he's not much into advanced stats (but will listen if someone brings him a good idea) and smith says that he doesn't care about fg percentage- he just plays his game. This team needs a mastermind. Championship teams with lebrons on them can survive with players' coaches.

I'm curious where a master coach would be at this point in the season with our roster. Night and day I would think. Some feathers may have been ruffled, but we'd have the W's.
    The Panda likes this.
  19. Susie914

Susie914 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I don't think Sheed was there last night. I couldn't find him on the bench. Does anyone know?
    Fell asleep in the second half, watched it this morning......ugh, it was horrible.
    Please let us be better tonight, I live in Wizards country.....
    roscoe36 likes this.
  20. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

If Dumars missed on one or two of these moves he might get the benefit of the doubt. All of these moves seem to have been bad and now you really have to question his vision and talent assessment ability. None of these pieces fit and he gambled on Josh Smith and Jennings who both had red flags.