Home Utah Jazz Friday, January 17, 2014

Discussion in 'January 2014' started by roscoe36, Oct 21, 2013.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

vs Utah Jazz

Friday, January 17, 2014 - 7:30 PM Eastern

Palace of Auburn Hills, Detroit, MI

LOCAL TV: FS Detroit
    NATIONAL TV:

RADIO: 97.1 FM The Ticket

GO PISTONS!
  2. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It's Tuesday Jan 14th, less than 72 hours to the next game vs the Jazz at the Palace... the P-Forum has gone Singler crazy....so let the Trey Burke - KC Pope comparisons begins....

Despite winning 6 of their last 10, the Jazz still hold down the last spot in the western conference with a record of 13-26. They have won 2 of their last three vs the Nuggets and Thunder...They face the Spurs on Wednesday night before traveling to Michigan on Thursday.

The Jazz are led by 3vyear forwards Gordon Hayward and Derrick Favors and rookie guard Trey Burke who despite missing the first 10 games of the season has rebounded putting up decent numbers averaging 13.5 ppg and 5.4 apg. He is shooting 39% from the floor and at team high 90% from FT line and 35% from beyond the arc. Ten of the Jazz players have been in the league 3 years or less.

The Pistons meanwhile have stayed idle and moved up to the seventh spot as the suddenly hot New York teams both have both lost their last game.

Hopefully they watched last nights Jazz game and will watch their next game vs the Spurs and have them figured out on Friday!!
  3. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Finally, a game.
  4. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Some interesting discussion on the RealGM Jazz board on Hayward. He is an a contract year and he is playing well enough to demand a big contract next year. He was drafted 9th in 2010 just in front of Paul George.
  5. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Hayward, Singler, Pizza Guy, Jerebko - Let's go white at SF next season!
    linwood likes this.
  6. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Terrico White and Hassan Whiteside were also taken in that draft ahead of Lance Stephenson.
    linwood likes this.
  7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

We could have drafted lance?
  8. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Lance Stephenson would've made a better power forward than Singler.
  9. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Have you ever watched Stephenson frame-by-frame?
    linwood likes this.
  10. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I love big point guards so I regret missing out on MCW to root for but I can't be happier with KCP as our pick. I was luke warm on the guy just like Aflalo but I'm won over. The dude has a mature defensive game. Its not good for a rookie...its just good to watch. I hope he gets unglued for the 2nd half of the season and clicks in the 12 ppg range. We have a balanced scoring team so I don't expect him to shoulder a heavy scoring load but if he can help spread the floor, that would rock.

I'm not a huge Jennings fan because even though he is definitely talented, he doesn't seem to have any dog in him. Knight is ultra competative. Burke is that way too. Drafting Trey would mean missing out on KCP and who would our 2 guard be? Sign JJ Reddick? Kyle Singler?
  11. BillLaimbeer

He's actually averaging 11.3 ppg over his last 6 games.
  12. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I agree @Slippy, I think KCP has had a strong year. He's cleaned up his shot selection and gotten better. He's averaging 11.1 ppg over his last 6.

I always thought Jennings had that leadership swagger when he played for Milwaukee, but I haven't seen it here.
  13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I want KCP to be much more selfish. He can drive and he can shoot. Just needs to stop deferring and pretend that he's the man until somebody pulls him aside and asks him to stop. Afflalo seeks the ball now and looks to score. When he was with us he didn't and wasn't appreciated.
  14. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

That kid is gonna get paid. I'm guessing his starting offer will be Steph Curry money (4yr/44m). Simmons thinks that the Celtics will try real hard to sign him. If so, he could get pulled into a bidding war and Utah might be forced to offer the max. What I want to know is whether or not he will get the designated player extension. To be honest, he is a really good player but I don't think he is that guy. My money is on Utah offering it to Burke as that guy is shaping up to be a very very solid NBA player even coming off an injury.

I'm guessing the Jennings trade was already in the works and it just didn't make any sense. The Bucks signalled early that they didn't want Jennings anymore (making an offer on the Hawks Teague) and really, we did end up buying low. Despite everything, Jennings is a far superior PG to Knight and we only gave up a Russian brickfoot and a player that was desperately underused in Middleton. How many of us actually think that Middleton would be averaging 20+mpg in Detroit had he stayed this year??

At the 8-10 spot in the draft, I consider it unusual to pick up franchise changers. Dumars made the smart move by picking a guy he knew would a) develop into a solid contributor to our team and had directly translatable and needed skills (defense) and b) could fill a need on the team. Whether he was the best player available is debatable, but the reality is that you never know. KCP for me is the perfect role guy at the two. I think his ceiling is about 15-18/5/5 (which is very very solid) and he plays great defense. He is holding opponent SG's to below average PER, forces plenty of turnovers and is only getting better. His shot has started to look far more fluid and he is figuring out how an NBA offense works. I am very happy with how he is turning out - and I think that he will continue to grow.

I agree that he needs to be more aggressive, but selfish? No thanks. He can certainly dribble drive and shoot, but he is also extremely athletic and should ask players to run screen sets for him when a play breaks down.
    linwood likes this.
  15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

His selfish will probably still be less than optimal.
  16. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Yeah, I don't think I could handle anymore questions at the PG spot.
  17. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Jazz would be foolish to pay Hayward big money. I think Hayward is to Utah what Monroe is to us.....good but by no means great. Unfortunately you have to ask yourself, is there anybody else that we can get who's better? Nope. Let the overpay commence.
  18. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Halftime and the Pistons are trailing losing to the team with the worst record in the western conference....and the 4th worst road record in the league...
    Our starting front court has 8 points at the half on 3-14 shooting.

The Jazz closed the half on a 12-3 run after a flagrant foul on Stuckey

Jazz up 58-45
  19. BillLaimbeer

Piston fans were booing at the end of this one.
  20. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Well that was....disappointing.