Utah Jazz Dec. 19th, 8:00 PM

Discussion in 'December 2008' started by Dlev59, Dec 14, 2008.

1. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i know i've mentioned the phrase 'negative comments' in this and other threads. what i'm trying to get at is that some people see things as so black-and-white that it is hard to stomach. for example (and i'm paraphrasing), we lost because of small ball...we lost because amir didn't play...we lost because curry didn't coach properly, we lost because AI passed up the shot...and so on.

when we go small, of course we're going to give a rebounding advantage and probably foul more of the other teams' bigs. but you could say that against utah (which has a plethora of nice bigs), we were only outboarded by 3 and held them to fewer points in the paint than their average despite playing 2 OTs.

but when we go small we also gain - look at how AI and Rip have been playing lately. AI is getting to the line more, stuckey is getting open looks, and the offense is running more smoothly. other teams are having trouble guarding us.

i'm not even saying i advocate small ball (and i even thought we had a 'coaching loss' with curry last week, so i'm not absolving him either), but it's not all black-and-white, and i'd have a much easier time swallowing other people's recaps / comments if they didn't act as if it was.

2. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I get that, but at the same time we keep having the same problems so if it sounds repetitive, that's probably the reason. Also i've seen people analyze everything pointing out the positives and negatives of something like SB,Amir, etc. so i don't really see the posts as black and white thing as much as you although there is an element of it. I guess it's just a different intrepretation of posts.

3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Let's look at the rebounding closer. Keep in mind they were missing Boozer.

Utah missed 5 more shots from the floor and 5 back-end free throws (Pistons missed 0 back end FT's). So, if everyone would have just grabbed their defensive rebounds, the Pistons would have finished the game with 10 more boards than Utah. That would have been par. In reality, we finished 3 down to them. So, 13 rebounds worse than expected for us.

That is > 20% worse than we should have had.

But here is another really big problem. Our starting center and our entire bench unit played 115 minutes of basketball and didn't get to the free throw line once. Almost 2 hours of bball without drawing contact and dishing out 17 fouls of their own.

Small ball is scoring points while all of the underappreciated facets of the game are deteriorating.

4. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Well the Bulls and Jazz went into the 4th quarter even and this time, the rookie Rose was able to out last Deron Williams. The other interesting stat or difference in tonights game between the Jazz and Bulls compared to the Pistons and jazz was that Jazz outscored us in the paint 44-32 and the bulls outscored Jazz in the paint 52-42. if only we had penetrated more...Also the bigger Bulls out boarded the Jazz 42-33

5. permaximum

permaximum Banned - Sent to NBDL

We must look forward to analyse next games ;) History is behind us.

6. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Wow. You watch the first 18 minutes of this game, and you can't believe we ended up losing it. I rewatched the first half so far. About as far as I will go today. I don't like to watch footage anywhere near close to a live game, as I tend to get the games somewhat muddled together if I do that.

Got to apologise to Bynum. After rewatching both his stints in the Utah, and earlier the Atlanta game, he did not do so bad. Yes, I think he did contribute to some disorganization to start those quarters, but in both games, its after he left we had any bad play to speak of. Both times, that was Stuckey coming back in off the bench and not getting anything done.

Rip gave up a pair of triples late to Williams, just by playing off him some. I got a solution for that, don't play Dyess so much. Put someone in the game like Amir instead who can get over and stop someone driving in. That would allow Rip to play up on his guy.

Dyess does not look so good on D. The other teams are pretty much counting him as not there in their attack plans against us.

Speaking of people not being there, the ugliest sight between the two games was to watch Memo post up Tay. Tay might as well have been seated on the bench for the little good he could do to stop Memo from scoring on that play. That had to be about the easiest layup of the NBA season right there.

We still had a 12 point lead about midway thru the 2nd quarter, and Utah had only scored 25 points. Despite small ball, we were playing good D. The pair of threes by Williams got Utah to within 5 to end the quarter.