Utah Jazz Dec. 19th, 8:00 PM

Discussion in 'December 2008' started by Dlev59, Dec 14, 2008.

1. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Okur is now 8-1 against us since we traded him. After reading the stats, it seemed like our offense was fine. Looks like defense is still an issue and after reading all of the posts here, there's concern for coaching.
    When we play small ball, many games were going to get pushed around.
    The refs cannot help us if we continue to employ this style of play.
    Not much said about Amir. 4 guys foul out and he still doesn't play. I wish I knew Why MC has him nailed to the bench. Would STILL like to know why Flip had him nailed to the bench also. I predicted that he'd be out of the league in 3 years. I imagine that now, he's just waiting for another chance WITH ANOTHER TEAM...
  2. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

man, got back from a wedding and just watched the game...naturally 2 OTs to postpone my going to bed.

i didn't see a major problem with the coaching tonight. it's disappointing because i felt we outplayed the jazz but still lost. but it was encouraging nonetheless, and fun as hell to watch and cheer.
  3. explosivity

explosivity First Round Draft Pick

I dont know if I agree with that because if we were big we probably still would have lost. We lost cause we had a letdown defensively, primarily in the 3rd quarter. We played big for the past 3 years and you guys are complaining, we go small you guys are complaining, we win you guys are complaining, we lose omg you guys are ready to commit suicide.

Utah for some odd reason has had our # for the past few years so I wouldn't go crazy over this loss. At the 2 and the 3 we scored 68 if we go big we dont even get 40 at those 2 positions. Believe me I would love for us to go big and still be able to compete however we dont have enough quality bigs to get it done right now so we have to go smaller.

If sheed played like he gave a damn we would have won this game so dont blame MC for a lack of effort from that guy. If he doesnt get his act together he MAY become a cancer. Just my opinion.
  4. explosivity

Its not neccessarily our style thats may be hurting us in some areas its lack of personnel to adquately employ the style to play big. We dont have enough quality bigs to go big. Sometimes you have to play the cards that you are dealt with.

Anyway had we won, most of the posters would waffle and say the team is finding our identity and things are getting better, but we lose in 2 OTs and so the chronic crying starts.

I'll never get posters on here on this forum. Dont let these guys start winning games and make a deep run into the playoffs cause I may have to start calling some people out. You cant play both sides of the fence. Just my opinion
  5. Menace

Menace Bench Warmer

Well it's never good enough is it? I don't understand why ppl complain so much i rather enjoy the ride the way it is going right now. Ofcourse you can analyse games and be critical, just be real. A lot of ppl on other boards complained about the "smalball' thing but Pistons also lost against Utah playing "anyball" thing and even with Billups.

If we had won it wouldn't be because the Pistons played well it would have been because the other team played poorly.
    There is always a way to counter the positive with negativity ;-)
  6. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

It was pretty baffling. They ended up trying a pick and roll with JMax and AA...um, not the best option in the last minute of a tie game.

The bigger problems came earlier than that, when Utah made their huge run and there were no adjustments to stop it. But the lack of simple personnel awareness at the end is also a concern.
  7. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Putting all the players in taxing situations seems to be Curry's mantra this season. That, I am guessing, is why they did not call a timeout on the play prior to TG's last shot.

I had zero doubt that Utah would score on their last play in regulation.

Sheed has to hit some of those post shots, but they got to get him some easier shots through the offense also. The way they use him, if he couldn't shoot 3's he would never score.

Why can't DET's guards just go down the lane, fall down and get a foul called? They got the #$@%&* Noah's Ark of guards on their roster yet no one fits the bill? Anyone from Derron Williams to Earl Watson can do this against DET though.

The Pistons need to trap the P & R with their big. OK, lots of teams do this. How does the middle open up so badly against them? Is packing the 3 point line their philosophy? I could score on the roll.

Good teams end quarters well. For years DET has not done this. 10-12 point lead near the end of the half and it goes 3 for Williams, double dribble and another 3 for Williams.
  8. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Iverson did plenty of that last night, and he went 11-11 from the line. The problem was several long stretches where there seemed to be no other consistent source of offense for them.

Checking the boxscore again, AI actually had more FT attempts than Williams, 11-8. But Okur, Millsap, and AK combined for 25 FTA, more than the entire Pistons team. Overall, it was 39 FTAs for Utah to 22 for the Pistons.

It's not that they never end quarters well, but they're very inconsistent with this. They ended the first quarter extremely well last night, pushing a tie game to a 10 point lead in a very short stretch, but then they gave half of that back just before halftime.
  9. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I dom't think he's our main defensive problem, but he does cause problems with his inability to cross-match, his height, and confusion when he sees the dreaded "screen". The first two i can live with; the last one is just effort. He tends to run into the screen instead of going under/over, and at times he's in no man's land. He's gotten lit up by opposing PG/SG's this season, but he seems to be settling in. The last few games i've seen him get after it, and if he does that i can live with the rest. The main problem is Stuck is no better and the 3 guard line-up of Stuck/AI/Rip is lacking. Putt AA in and everyone doesn't look nearly as bad.

I agree though bot the SB, it has to go.
    The reason we had a defensive letdown is b/c we couldn't get a rebound, and UTAH was exploiting the mismatches that were created by thing like Tay on Okur. We absolutely lost this game b/c of the lack of a switch by MC when SB wasn't working.

I really don't know how people can blame Sheed. He's barely an option on offense and MC has said himself that he doesn't care if Sheed scores and it's not a priority to get him going. He was great on defense all by himself in the middle, and hit clutch shots to send it to OT.

edited to add;

Not directed at anyone in particular but i think the complaining about the supposed "complaining" has drowned out the "complaining". I'm begginning to think people don't read what's posted anymore b/c i see plenty of positive, and constructive analysis. I don't see how 25 posts of "The Pistons are great regardless of how they play" is conducive to even having a forum in the first place.
  10. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

in recaps MC admitted that bigger lineups may be too tough but he said as long as perimeter guys do their job, he'll take that risk.

Keith Langlois is the forerunner for "praise pistons regardless of standings" Go figure his blog entries, especially latest. Believe me: Chris McCoskey has lot to learn from Langlois how to write sugarcoated stuff.

And expectations are down, me included, since c'ship is out of question, ppl take it easier - somewhat.
  11. AI IS GOD

AI IS GOD Second Round Draft Pick

I am under despression, I thought this is best AI chance to win sthg. I thought he finally got to the weaker conference so he had it easier..but instead orlando, clevland are beating the western teams now..

AI is so damn unlucky..I hope we end up 6th, i dont want 4th or 5th.. i want boston at conference finals.
  12. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Langlois was a journalist at the Oakland Press. Now he is a paid PR writer for the Pistons. Dude has to make a living.
  13. max

max All-Star

Did not get a chance to see much of it. When 3 of your starters foul out its tough to win a game.
  14. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Sheed will not be successful with this lineup or rotation. Tay also will be worn out by Feb.
  15. explosivity

Not directed to anyone in particular but it would take a complainer to make an assessment like that. I dont heare anyone else complaining. No pun intended., lmao.

Anyway critcism is good when its constructive and to honest with you the majoriry of the criticism in here is not constructive when posters start referring to the head coach as a moron. If it were constructive criticism believe me you would not hear a word from me.

The vast majority of the "analysis" is very biased, very subjective, and downright bashing, not constructive. If things have gotten better in reference to criticism here in the forum it may have only been the past couple days. Just my opinion.
  16. NYPistonFan729

I wish and hope everyone would stop using the word "cancer" to describe a basketball player or a troublemaker. I know it is freedom of speech and all, but the word "cancer" is so horrible. I doubt that sheed or any other player could ever become a cancer.
  17. explosivity

If you read what I said you can see that the word MAY is in caps which further emphasizes the fact the he is not a cancer in the present and that he COULD if he continues to lollygag through the season. I do this so to emphasize certain words so that what I say doesnt get taken out of context, but apparently its not working. I never refferred to the man as a cancer, never did and I think you should read the post more carefully.
  18. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

There are a few people in this thread and last GT talking about "negativity", not just you. It wasn't directed specifically at you but Whatever.

I think the posters on here give great constructive analysis, and i like hearing it. Rarely do you see posts stating " " is an idiot and nothing else. But if the "complaining" gets to people, complaining about is not going to add positivity.
  19. NYPistonFan729

I stand corrected.

I wish and hope everyone would stop using the word "cancer" to describe a basketball player as a POTENTIAL troublemaker. I know it is freedom of speech and all, but the word "cancer" is so horrible. I doubt that sheed or any other player could EVER BECOME a cancer.
  20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

... while Sheed, Dyess, Rip, and Stuckey fouled out.

Their bigs were playing bigger than our mediums and smalls. How many Pistons would have fouled out if they had Boozer too?

Surprisingly, the Bulls beat the Jazz tonight. Okur continued his strong play with 23 and 13. Maybe we should look at picking him back up. He looks pretty un-athletic, but his 3-point shooting makes up for it a bit.