Utah Jazz Dec. 19th, 8:00 PM

Discussion in 'December 2008' started by Dlev59, Dec 14, 2008.

1. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

save for a few mins in the 4th quarter where the old complain at ever call mindset tried to raise its ugly head (why did sheed get the tech? rip was the one going bonkers) they really play thru what was truely a one sided called game. They really looked good compared to 2 weeks ago and Rip and AI are playing well together.

2. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I just looked at the rebounds and 17 O for the Jazz again. This really needs to be addressed somehow. I feel like most of those came when it mattered.

3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

One of his stats was bad though. Loss.

Win as a team, lose as individuals. People worry most about stats when the most important objective is not achieved. If AI scores 8 PPG the rest of the year, and wins a title, trust me, it's worth it. A title is magical.

Jack Nies always has to tee up Sheed. If I ever run into Jack, he's gunna be very unhappy. I can't stand that guy.

4. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Agree that the team played inspired especially with key players on the bench but to lose again with a 4th quarter collapse after having a 12 point lead still means that we have a coaching issue. Who is in the game at the time of the collapse and why MC fails to make the right adjustment when your team is in the midst of a 18-2 run drubbing is beyond me, but as they say we are learning:yellowprison:.

Can't say we don't have the talent, because it is out there, but some how or another the lineups just aren't jelling when they are suppose to.

In the meaningless stats area, Pistons led in the points in the paint 14-4 after one period, but lost the over all battle 40-32.

Pistons had 20 TO's and Jazz converted them into 21 points.

With the foul discrepancy, the Jazz made more FT's 28, then we attempted (22) No Jazz player had more than 4 fouls.

Pistons out shot the Jazz in every category Fg, FT and 3pt% and still lost.

Little known what if?? well the Pistons shot 21-22 from the FT line. If Stuckey had either hit that three at the end of the first OT or had made that first of the only FT the Pistons missed at the 4:54 mark of the 2nd qtr, we may have won this one....:sssh: or if Sheed had not been assessed a tech with 5:32 left in the regulation, Korver would not have had that extra made FT ........

Pistons 10-10 with AI, but more importantly, Pistons 14-10 with MC:stirthepot:

5. roscoe36

They had a lot of second chances. Dice is our only rebounder. Curry insisted on playing Max over Kwame. And except for one particularly good 1.5 minute sequence, I thought Max sucked worse than when he was a rookie. He's a nobody, a nothing on the floor. Playing like a big zero.

And I can't stand it because he is better than that. But he's aimless, he's not as non-stop ferocious, and he doesn't use his size at all in the paint.

6. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Jerry Sloan, "Nice try son, but you can't eff with me Mike."

Outcoached big time.

7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I honestly didn't notice anything wrong with the calls tonight. A couple replays that made me think a few may have been off, but that's every game. A good percentage of our fouls were when we were getting out muscled.

I've seen a few comments here about the end of the first overtime when AI passed to Stuckey. I agree that was the wrong play. But, the end of regulation and the 2nd overtime were also poorly played.

Maybe this has been mentioned earlier in this thread, but what happened on our 2nd to last possession in regulation? On defense before that coming off of a Utah timeout, we pulled AI and Rip and stuck in our defensive unit with about 45 seconds left. Good move.

But then when we forced the miss, we inexplicably failed to call a timeout to put our weapons back in the game. Did Curry flat out forget? We still had a timeout left (as is evidenced by the timeout we used before Rip's shot). We had a terrible possession and Utah went on to make what could have been the game winner.

In the double OT, we were down by 4 with 41 seconds left and we had the ball. You have to score as QUICKLY as possible so that you don't have to foul Utah after you make a basket. For some reason Tay stalled at the top and we got AI for a layup 15 seconds later. So then, of course, we are forced to foul and it's game over.

So, 3 end game scenarios and we botched them all. Rip's shot was a big time bail out for Curry's strange move to leave our all-D team in on what should have been the final offensive possession.

8. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

The one thing i worried about with Max when we extended him was his rebounding. Ben Wallace, Milsap, etc; all undersized but great rebounders from the get go. I think Max just doesn't have it, and it's not something he can "learn". I agree, he hasn't been that spark plug this year. His defense is solid most of the time, but it's negated by his inability to board.

KB at least rebounds and is a big body. Amir keeps balls alive and stays around the basket. I don't know why he's ahead of either in the rotation, but it hurts us.

Might be time to see what his value is if Joe D is looking to force Curry's hand; maybe for a back-up defensive SF. We're paying alot of money to sit two players on the bench.

9. lapeapod

lapeapod First Round Draft Pick

What is it about the Pistons that they have to make every game a nailbiter? They don't seem capable of blowing out any teams this year and they aren't playing with any swagger. I just not feeling Michael Curry's style of coaching. Just because the Twitch is gone I shouldn't be obligated to be happy with the replacement.

I just think the Piston's have a really talented team of good players and only 8 of them get significant minutes. Is there some law that Tay has to play 40 plus minutes every night? He's become my least favorite Piston player and he is a big whiny baby if he gets taken out. I saw him fussing at Iverson and then late in the game he wants to start handling the ball. I really think the Pistons would be a better team with Tay being shipped off and we get a first round pick for him and let Maxiell or Sheed play the power forward position.

Stuckey and Afflalo are the future for this team and Iverson is a rental for the season. Curry needs to sit Iverson and let Bynum get more minutes and develop our guards for the playoffs.

Utah is a very good team but they never go anywhere in the playoffs but their fans seem happy with what they have. Jerry Sloan has coached this team for over 20 years and nothing has ever changed. I'm a Pistons fan and I expect more from my team so I do see good things ahead for the team. Now if only Amir could worm his way back into the good graces of Curry but for some reason he's not the favorite child like Tay.

Slightly off topic but we have the wrong Argentianian player on our team. I want Carlos Delfino back playing for the Pistons. He's freezing his a** off in Khimki but he's trying to make a go of it, even taking Russian lessons. The Knicks might be courting him if they can ever get rid of that cancer (aka Stephen Marbury). Time to trade Herrmann (with Tay) and get back a better piece.

10. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

We played up to a higher level than a few weeks back but we did not win at this level. Good, bad--depends how you look at it.

We lost the game in the second quarter as we had no real three point guy on that second unit at the time. The Jazz zoned up a bit. We didn't score when we could have opened up the lead.

Then, we had it again in the 4th quarter but we committed turnovers as the offense lost some execution.

We are still playing too soft and complaining about calls. That tech cost the game in a way. Tay was really soft most of the game.

Dice couldn't shoot well. Maxiel did not make much impact. Sheed can hit threes and play D under the hoop-- but not much else.

Okur and Williams are good players but not that good.

If a three is our go-to play, we have some work to do.

The coach has to learn to make a defensive substitution. I would have put either Afflalo on Williams or Amir on Okur to slow them down in the second half. (and I am not an official Amir booster). You can't let players play over their heads like that.

11. roscoe36

Really fantastic analysis tonight. Good stuff.

12. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Your analysis of that analysis is pretty good as well.

13. explosivity

explosivity First Round Draft Pick

Well that would be great if I could watch the game again Lee. Maybe some other time we'll agree to record the game and then analyze, lol.

14. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I watch them all a second time. Double checking my observations. If I see I am wrong, I will let you know.

15. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I really can't see any problem with AI. He gets after it on defense pretty fiercely, and really, if you look at the points we give up, not many of them are from shooting over AI, or getting past AI and into the lane. Nope. Its a lot more just anyone waltzing into our unguarded lane. (Unguarded because we don't have a power forward in the game, who is both quick enough to get to the play inside, and tall and strong enough to do anything about it.) Or from mismatches our small ball defense creates for the other team.

Tonight, AI scored 36 points, and Rip still scored 30. Stuckey had lots of scoring ops, as did Tay. Just no problem. Yes, on any individual play, you can second guess, but if Stuckey nails that shot, nobody would. Stuckey has been hitting a lot of shots lately. And hey, make it or not, he needs experience taking the big shot too.

16. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Sounds like you are questioning the coaches ability to figure out what to do, who to play, how to adjust, when to call a time out, when to substitute, who to yell at and oh yeah who to start:confused:

17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Do you realize what happened at the end of reg? He took out Rip and AI for defensive reasons and forgot to put them back in when we had a final possession to win the game with a tie score.

Am I missing something here?

18. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

good that our rookie coach has not only OT but 2nd OT experienced; MC certainly needed it.

Life for MC as a coach has not been so simple how it looked on the paper before the season.

AND, in recap MC (officially) announced that he is going to play 3 guard rotations no matter what.

Williams, Okur lead Jazz to win over Detroit - NBA - Yahoo! Sports

Detroit coach Michael Curry, though, felt that sticking with three guards— Rodney Stuckey, Allen Iverson and Richard Hamilton—was worth giving up size inside.

“I thought we won that battle,” he said. “Yes, they posted us up a few times, but we were able to get Allen and Rip free. AI had 38 and Rip scored 30, and I’ll take that.”

So forget D. Forget ol' good intimidating Pistons. Pistons have under MC become Eastern Conference version of Golden State Warriors.

Every ol' Pistons fan who has hoped to get that good ol' Pistons back - if you have not found a reason for suicide, you have it now. :wacko::crazy::faint:

19. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

Pistons played with a lot of guts down the stretch, but Curry coaches with no brains. I'll never ever like this guy as our head coach.

We lost because they were bigger than us. simple.

20. permaximum

permaximum Banned - Sent to NBDL

I totally agree with you here.He was takin out them for defensive reasons but forgot to put them back in...We would probably win the game i think if MC did the right thing.

For the last play in the end of regulation Iverson said:

"I'd take that look 100 times out of 100," Iverson said. "I knew that everyone on their team knew that I was going to shoot, and that's why Rodney was so open. That shot wasn't even contested -- it just didn't go down."