Utah Jazz Dec. 19th, 8:00 PM

Discussion in 'December 2008' started by Dlev59, Dec 14, 2008.

1. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Not a good coach at this point

2. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

He's not awful; just not great. I'm impressed Pistons/Rip. Now Curry put a big in please.

3. RipBillupsRJC

RipBillupsRJC Second Round Draft Pick

Refs hosed the Stones.

Bunch of soft floppers is deh Jazz. Oh well. How many titles does that franchise have again? :confused:

4. permaximum

permaximum Banned - Sent to NBDL

Too many turnovers and fouls, bad decisions when the game is on the line cost us the game...

Great performance by Allen Iverson again...

5. explosivity

explosivity First Round Draft Pick

Man we got robbed, Stern definitely doesnt want us to get any better. I cant believe we had 4 guys, count em 4 guys 4 guys foul out wtf. I'll stop here because I can feel my blood pressure raise,lol.

6. RipBillupsRJC

RipBillupsRJC Second Round Draft Pick

The foul disparity was nearly fifteen in favor of the Jazz.

7. HelloIDistance

HelloIDistance First Round Draft Pick

A loss, but it was an exciting game none the less. Sheed came through in the clutch again hitting two threes that helped us get to overtime. Hard to win with Stuckey, Sheed, Dyess, and Rip fouled out.

8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Great game, refs screwed us, but the Pistons are coming along nicely. Really great gut check to take it to oT, and to second OT.

You can feel the mental toughness building.

9. explosivity

I can certainly understand if we commited more fouls than utah but to have 4 guys foul out and for not 1 guy on their roster to not have even 5 fouls is utterly ridiculous. We played well except for the short letdown in the 3rd. After that we got raped by the refs. No one can convince me otherwise, I dont care what anyone else says.

10. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Few thoughts;

Sheed was great defensively for the most part and hit a few clutch shots. Loved the foul on AK and consequent stare down; if you're going to foul get a little something out of it. However, he needs to not be our 16th option anymore. Go to him in the post even if he doesn't shoot; just run it through him at times. The guards on this team are great, but they dominate the ball too much.

Rip has been reading all these trade threads and he says :wave:. Awesome game for him tonight. He did an OK job on DW; gave him too much room on his jump shots for fear of getting blown past, but overall good game.

AA was the only one that could handle Deron out there. And Stuckey has to be in to run the offense at the end of games. Curry's going to have to make some tough (neccessary) decisions in the 4th.

Dice was absolutely mauled. Awful no call.

Curry really needs to stop with the small ball esp in the clutch. I don't know how many more times Tay has to get embarrassed at PF for him to realize this is very bad idea.

When Walter Hermann came in, this game was over. We need to trade every avaliable player in front of Amir's PT (Sharpe,Hermann,etc). Not putting Amir or even KB in was a huge tactical error as well as taking AA out even though Rip/AI were offensively in a groove.

AI made a stupid decision to pass to Stuckey for that three. He should have dominated the ball in 2OT when he was in with that line-up. That's what we brought him here for to take over in the clutch so he needs to take over; he was way too passive at times. Overall though, very good game by him; struggled defensively a little, but only a few possessions did i see him horribly out of position. The effort was there, and he was much better. Offensively, he seems to have hit a groove. He's doing a much better job of playing within the offense, and picking his spots. 2 good games in a row.

I'm curious to what that argument in the huddle with Tay/Curry/and him was about ??; probably the pass to Stuckey.

Tayshaun was solid. Not his fault he can't guard Okur who we always manage to make look like Tim Duncan.

Stuckey was quiet, but solid.

If Curry gets over whatever Amir did to him, plays KB more, and lessens the small ball, i will be overjoyed. And palace fans stop cheering like that for Hermann. He is a sucky player. We were solid on the boards until that dreaded line-up.

All in all, good effort; loved the fight. The team showed progress. The Jazz were playing like crap coming into this game, but they always give us trouble so a bad loss, but not a horrible one. Also most of our team fouled out.

This game was impressive even though they lost. I feel alot more optimistic after this one.

11. permaximum

Also i don't understand why the hell stuckey, afflalo and hermann were takin' shots down the stretch..If MC said to team "give the ball to AI and get out of his way" pistons would win this game.

@lpgrl26

AI usualy give the ball to someone and get it back quick to shoot but pistons team don't know this and they are so willing to take a shot...Also read the above.It's not about AI it's about the coach and other players.Also he's not quiet in OT.He scored 8 of pistons 16 points...I call these are the facts...

12. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I wasn't really paying attention to the fouls until a Pistonkept fouling out every 20 seconds. How can four players foul out in one game> Was Tim Donahy calling this game from his cell :jail:

There were two key plays that influenced the out come of this game. The first was when the Pistons were up 80-73 with 7:30 left in regulation. Korver missed a three pointer and the rebound was going out of bounds and Harping got it and threw up in the air and Memo out jumped the "small ball" Pistons and then gave it Williams who returned it to Memo for a driving layup. That turned the game around as the Jazz went on a 18-2 run over the next 3 minutes to take away the momentum. Yeah the Pistons tied on some clutch shots by Sheed, Stuckey and Rip, but within a few minutes they were all spectators on the bench.

Also the second bad move was when the pistons had about 20 seconds to win the game and the best they could do is 3 point brick from Stuckey with 1.4 seconds left. Why AI didn't just attempt to drive and either for it pass to man standing outside the lane for a possible layup is beyond me?? OH yeah we don't have that play in our play book:confused:

It was not Stuckey's best game as he was saddled with fouls, but how many times did Deron Williams beat Rip on defense??

What happen to Tay in second half? After leading the Pistons to the 29-19 lead with 11 points in the first quarter, he drank some crazy fluid at halftime and was out of sync for the next two periods and didn't wake up until the OT.

38 and 30 from AI and Rip but only 10 points from the bench...who was that who said we had the second best bench in the league:confused:

Once again Milsap gets a double-double to answer the question of who needs Boozer?? If only our version of Milsap, some chap called JMAX was as good as him

Memo now 7-1 vs the Pistons since he left?? Maybe it's time to bring him back to our side since he might be FA this summer.

At this point if AMir cannot get into the Piston lineup after 4 pistons foul out, then his playing days in a Piston uni are probably done.

13. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Small ball. Curry kept going to it, with never a good result.

Still, a lot of good stuff. AI scored about 36. Rip hit quite a few shots.

Sheed? He made four triples, otherwise, did not score. But did anyone else notice, Sheed is the only big we start the game with. That is tiring. What exactly can you expect from a guy who is told to go play the middle all by himself.

Herrmann? Is Curry that desperate to play small ball he would bring Herrmann into the game to end the 2nd overtime. I guess so. Herrmann had the one missed 3, and never affected a single defensive play, as per usual.

Player development. Max played enough. Afflalo played a lot. Stuckey played a lot. Lots of experience for the young guys, and Bynum even got some burn. But still no Amir. That is going on five games now with no Amir, and he was playing little before that. Not good. I'll give Curry a 75% grade tonight on player development, which is a failing grade. Oh, Kwame played all of maybe 4 minutes? Still a failing grade.

Lets talk about Dyess. His offense tonight was truly horrid. Yes, he made a couple of his many outside shots. But he did absolutely nothing inside. Between Dyess and Sheed being our two featured bigs, that is zero inside presence from the bigs. AI and Stuckey give us some paint points, but you can forget getting any from Dyess and Sheed. Horrible. I will give Sheed a pass since he had to do a ton on defense. Dyess, what is he doing playing so many minutes.

Kwame looked fine while in. Hustled, even affected the offensive rebounds positively. Hmm, we ended up eventually seeing both Sheed and Dyess foul out. Perhaps we could have played Kwame just a bit more. And why Amir does not fit this game? No reason.

For the game as a whole, Stuckey did very little. Afflalo at least played pretty solid D while in. A lot of that was at small forward, but we also called upon him to stop their point guard some. Lot of versatility there.

At some points in this game, we played great D. But Curry often thought of defense as something that would take care of itself. At least by the units he used. It amazes me that he thinks Dyess is his second best big. Nope. Defensively, Dyess ain't got it.

Maxiell played some pretty solid D, was given virtually no shots on offense.

Tay got inside on them quite often. Outside shot not hitting.

The main thing most people are seeing, whether they agree on anything else, is that small ball does not work. Letting the other team overpower us so often, and waltz untouched down the lane so much, is no way to play basketball. You take away all the time we played small ball in this game, and its a rather comfortable win.

By the way, this thing got to overtime on some threes by Sheed, something Dumars has publicly frowned upon. Well, if they go in, they sure don't look so bad. But he got three crazy, shooting one after we had tied the game up, and only needed a two to get an advantage. No, that is never acceptable late in a game. Three's shot early, hey, you can make the misses up. But not late in the game like that. Sheed is no rookie either. Time for him to think a bit before launching so many threes. Even if he just made some. A time and a place for them. That last was not the time.

14. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I disagree. I think AI is still trying to fit in. He's not really developed the mentality where he feels comfortable demanding the ball in situations like that here (which will come in time). It not neccessarily a bad thing though. He understands that he now plays on a "team", and the other players are all good. I think as time goes on he'll get better at knowing when he has to/should take over. What i liked about him this game is i only counted two forced shots by him. Otherwise he was aggressive within the offense; not trying to take 4 guys off the dribble.

I think in the huddle Curry was telling him he should taken that himself instead of passed to Stuckey.

Most encouraging thing about this game is the team never folded.

15. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

We played small a lot. Our only recourse was often to foul them to stop an easy bucket. It was not the refs. It was Curry's coaching.

16. explosivity

I can understand that, but not 17 fouls worth. Just my opinion. A lot of those fouls were guys playing hard D and the refs subjectively calling fouls on them as if they had some kind of agenda. I watch the game too lee.

17. permaximum

I mean he scored 8 of pistons' 16 points in OT.So he was not quiet...But i agree with you here.He doesn't demand the ball.But pistons don't want him to demand the ball too.

Stuckey was 8/11 from the 3pt line in last 7 games and he was wide open in that play..AI did the right thing when he was doubled.

I know you're never gonna like AI but he played great tonight. 38 points 7 assists 5 rebounds 3 steals 13/24fg 11/11 ft..

18. explosivity

Cosigned by exp.

19. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

The only thing that really stood out to me foul wise was the blatant no call on Dice. Otherwise, i saw some iffy stuff, but not enough to say we were getting screwed. They really were just bigger than us.

I think he played great; just could have made a few better decisions.

The bigger problem IMO was Paul Milsap; 24 pts, 12 rebounds. It's going to continue to happen if we play predominately small.

20. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Well, I will be watching it again yet. Do the same and lets compare notes.