Utah January 17th, 7:30PM

Discussion in 'January 2007' started by Dlev59, Jan 15, 2007.

1. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

LOL.

No. You are looking at it wrong. Actually he was correct "zero" times. Zero is obviously a very high percentage in the Generals book.

2. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Interesting minute breakdown on Yahoo (is it correct?). Not seeing the games sucks.

Didn't Webber play? He isn't listed, even as a DNP. What's up?!?

Nazr and J-Max DNPs? Doghouse or imminent trade?

32 minutes for Dice - showcasing him for a trade or just the result of DNPs for everyone else?

Only 27 minutes for Tay. He only had 1 foul, so that wasn't a factor. Did he get injured? Or was he just getting a breather from playing so many minutes the past few games?

Only 24 minutes for Sheed, 4 for Murray.

Any insight would be appreciated.

3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

What can you say...

Great use of the zone (not). I saw Jerry Sloan giving Flip Saunders a standing ovation towards the end of the game.

Mark Champion is preaching patience on the radio. I dunno Mark. We can't beat anyone right now.

Mahorn is saying that guys need to "step up and play basketball", that you cannot allow teams into the paint like that at home.

Webber looked ok with the ball. He's kinda flabby and out of shape right now. He obviously was not working out in the weight room during the time Philly sat him. And he is slow. He is so slow, I could probably beat him in a footrace. He might be our center because he is just not very mobile right now.

Some good passes from Webber, some decent board work too and surprisingly a little paint defense.

But it just wasn't enough. Tay continues to play soft and Rasheed is way out of sync.

This team better figure out how to defend, make teams beat them with jumpers or this is going to be a loooooong season. Any team that gets taken to the rack almost at will won't last long in the playoffs.

4. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

Billups: came out with a lot more energy than usual... scored on pick-and-rolls and iso postups... distributed fairly well... couldn't defend Williams or Fisher on isos or screen-rolls effectively... missed a potential game-winner
    Hamilton: shot 5-for-15... defense not bad, but committed dumb off-ball fouls... passed willingly
    Prince: invisible except for a block and two big drives... did nothing on the glass... defensive impact minimal... outplayed by Kirilenko
    Wallace: posted up, scored and passed effectively... rebounded... played defense... hit almost every shot he created for himself and missed most of the strange-angles created for him... chose a terrible time to take a technical
    Davis: effective rebounding... decent defense... only 13 minutes
    McDyess: effective offense with jumpshots, post-ups and transition baskets... good rebounding... fouled quite a bit... awful help defense
    Delfino: shot 2-for-6 from the field... missed a competely wide-open 3 and an two uncontested layups... made a nice left-handed hook off a spin move, though... defense had more bad stretches than good ones... got in foul trouble unnecessarily
    Webber: effective in both high and low post creating for others... not so much for himself... did not shoot a high percentage on his set shot... rebounding pretty good... extremely slow in transition... awful pick-and-roll defense... good man defense
    Hunter: nearly won this game driving to the basket... pesky defense... had a few major defensive lapses, though
    Murray: played 4 minutes in the first half... was abused by Williams again and again and yanked... made a couple of swing passes, but created nothing
    Mohammed, Maxiell DNP

Saunders: his zone defense was torn to shreds by Utah's basic execution... his halfcourt trap was not a success... his playcalling out of timeouts was atrocious... his use of timeouts was not effective... some say none of that matters because the coach doesn't play...

5. DetroitBasketball

DetroitBasketball First Round Draft Pick

This is really bad. Detroit needs to start a winning streak from Friday on. They need to beat Minnesota. Come on guys.

6. roscoe36

Also, I don't want to hear about how we don't have the personnel to play defense. We played Hunter, McDyess, Davis, Wallace, Hamilton, Prince and Billups. Just because we lost Ben Wallace doesn't mean other people shouldn't be stepping up and getting stops.

Freakin babyfats Okur looked like Dirk Nowitzki out there. AND NAZR DIDN'T PLAY!

7. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

It's the coach. No emphasis on defense. Stupid time-outs. Ineffective zone. It doesn't even look like they practice rotations. The players aren't the problem.

It's hard to get into this team when you know they're going to get killed in the play-offs.

8. DetroitBasketball

DetroitBasketball First Round Draft Pick

No the Pistons wont get killed in the playoffs. In the East, I still believe they are the best team and can go to the Finals. Whos going to stop them: Cleveland or Chicago? No Detroit is playing sloppy right now, but watch they will soon get it in sync.

9. roscoe36

Postgame show. Caller says Webber looks good passing but really slow getting back.

Host says, "When his agent said his knees are 95% that must have been out of 150".

Priceless.

I have to laugh so I don't start crying.

10. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Hey! I represent that comment right there....:)

Actually, that pouch of his is almost nonexistent, and here he is putting up increasingly better numbers, just as Buddhafied One predicted.

11. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I hope so b/c i honestly think CHI will eat us alive.

12. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

We were out-executed and out coached. Watch the two teams. One has all the parts working together. The other is disjointed.

Our defense was torn to shreds.

Our offense hit the now predictable drought in the 3rd quarter. We just our not consistent enough in our offensive plan to avoid these droughts--so it seems.

I am not confident that we have the coaching at this point. I will keep hoping...

Webber will help. He can help to free up our offense. I like that one kick back to Chauncey for a three. I hope he can give us enough defense.

13. detteam

detteam All-Star

Utah pretty much has our number since Flip got here. Thankfully, the Jazz won't make it to the Finals because the west has some very competent coaches that can make in-game defensive adjustments...make match-up substitutions...and know when to call timeouts to realign the troups. I would love to see the comic book thought bubbles from Piston players while in the huddle listening to Flip's play calls.

I honestly believe the players have no respect for Flip.

14. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Ok, maybe this will sound better...We don't have the personel that is capable of defending like we used to... the foot speed is lacking...expect high scoring games whether it's acceptable or not.

15. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I guess I will start with Webber. Good passing. That is, the precious few times we got it to him in the post. With those kind of results, Webber should have been getting fed in the post constantly. In the 2nd half, Webber did a bit too much shooting midrangers, which he missed. He did hit one outside shot that rattled a whole lot before falling. Trips to the line. None. Points off post moves. None. Not very impressive except in his ability to pass out of the post. On defense, he did not seem to move too well, and when he got paired up with Dyess the team did quite poorly on D.

For the game, Dale Davis did not play a whole lot, maybe 11 minutes. The start of each half and thats it. I know Dyess did get 14 points, but hey, Dale Davis can help us on toughness inside and he should play.

No JMAX. No Blalock. Delfino played a lot and represented the only player development going on. And he did play the point some-with Hunter playing the guy spotting up.

Considering it was his first game out after missing 8, and considering his leg is for sure not 100%, CB had quite a game, both shooting it outside and going to the hoop. What, he ended up with about 25 points and maybe 8 assists. But on the other hand, how good a game did he really have when the opposing point guard killed us.

Flip Murray only played 1 quick stint in the first half, looked bad on D, and did not return to the game. Hunter may not be the best point guard, but he does at least play D, and he got the rest of the backup minutes.

Tay was aggressive to the basket here and there. Rip hit shots early when we absolutely were dying out there. Sheed was trying to score in the post. He had a good little streak there in the 2nd half. One triple made for the game.

Hunter came up huge at the end with a made triple and note that Delfino passed up a triple a moment before. It was not quite enough, but still a big shot made.

Delfino was a 1/3 of a second from being a hero, as his slam back at the end of regulation was just late on Billups miss. Delfino hit his first outside shot, got fed by Webber for a conventional 3 point play, and scored a couple more buckets around the hoop. (Or did he make a 2nd outside shot also?) Delfino was in because Rip fouled out. Sheed fouled out next and Hunter came in for him, with Dyess our only remaining big in there. It almost got us a win.

Well, we did end up seeing Delfino and Hunter in together a lot in this game. I will have to study the game film on that a bit. But it seems to me that some of that time was wasted because we had that Dyess-Webber combo in at the same time.

Memo had a way too good game. Flip Saunders was real slow to adjust anything to stop the guy or slow him down. Again, Dyess and Webber were a bad combo and I don't know why Flip stuck with it so long.

Runs. We started out behind 6-0, but then went a long, extensive run. Flip Murray came in, and that run happened to stop and Utah went on a huge run of their own. Then we went on a run, and continued it some to start the 3rd quarter. Then we went dead cold. Why do we stall out so? Simple. We rely way too much on outside jumpers. First we could not hit, then we could. Then we couldn't. And we never even had the option to do anything about it because we never established an inside game.

Dyess's points were in pretty close compared to his usual game. His highlight was a post move where he got inside his guy. We need more of that from Dyess. Inside play.

A one point heart breaking loss. CB was not 100%. Sheed is not 100% Webber is rusty from a very long layoff and has just joined the team. We will get better. GO PISTONS!!!!!

16. roscoe36

Well then, we're done. We'd be lucky to get out of the East with our offense, let alone put up any kind of stand in the Finals. This offense of Flip's is incredibly overrated. We are down 5 and after working 2 halfcourt sets, the best we can come up with are back to back missed treys from Delfino and Tay.

I don't buy the lack of footspeed. Was Ben Wallace superman? I don't think so and I have a tremendous amount of respect for Ben.

What exactly are these guys working on in practice? They can't recognize a zone, they don't try to beat it with penetration and they are incapable of rotating defensively.

Footspeed or no, you can always rotate. You can help each other. I don't see this. The zone is a 5 man scheme, but it is not "team defense".

17. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

One guy who is slow will not kill your defense, as long as that guy is tough and can anchor the middle. Thats how we used Corliss, as a tough anchor in the middle, letting everyone else do the perimeter stuff. Webber can be that anchor, because he can actually play D. However, him and Dyess, another weak help defender, are a bad combo.

Webber and Sheed can start. Dale Davis can come in for Sheed while Dyess comes in for Webber. Simple enough. You always keep one good help defender in the game this way, Sheed or Dale. Tonight, since Webber did not start, well, we ended up with the Dyess-Webber combo. Hopefully, we will simply not see it again.

18. roscoe36

Flip comes to the podium...

McCoskey asks Flip is he was being tricked on defense...

Flip talks about how great Utah is after uhm-uhming for a few seconds.

Starts talking about confidence and then goes right into talking about the offense...

Lack of free throws, didn't get calls. Team got passive, didn't attack the zone. Apparently a big free throw discrepancy (haven't seen box score)

Chris doesn't know what we are doing. Practice tomorrow.

Chauncey got tired, played well. Had a shot to win, his style.

Rip wasn't as aggressive with Chauncey back, maybe Chris too.

That's all I got until I check my recording.

19. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Chauncey is slow (Deron got a career high tonight)... not just because he's coming back from injury... he has had trouble for the last two years staying in front of his man.
    Dice is average to slow
    Sheed has definately lost a step from 04
    Tay gets beat off the dribble fairly often... not quick
    Nazr...
    Cwebb...
    Delfino... not slow but not real quick either
    Hunter?... for 5 minutes he can get it done... quickly down hill from there

Sorry guys this team can get beat just on speed alone... hide it ... mask it... zone it... put lipstick on it... it still comes out the same.

We are lacking a quick to react shot blocker inside and another perimeter defender.

Let's try to coach athletisism

20. roscoe36

I have to drag these excellent posts out of you. It is a lot of work.

But well worth it.

Would anyone like to open a can of WHUP SAMB on the Jazz? I do.