US World Championship Team 15 Finalists

Discussion in 'Other Hoops Talk' started by aurora, Jul 25, 2006.

1. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Carmelo Anthony (Denver Nuggets)
    Gilbert Arenas (Washington Wizards)
    Shane Battier (Houston Rockets)
    Chris Bosh (Toronto Raptors)
    Bruce Bowen (San Antonio Spurs)
    Elton Brand (Los Angeles Clippers)
    Kirk Hinrich (Chicago Bulls)
    Dwight Howard (Orlando Magic)
    LeBron James (Cleveland Cavaliers)
    Antawn Jamison (Washington Wizards)
    Joe Johnson (Atlanta Hawks)
    Brad Miller (Sacramento Kings)
    Chris Paul (New Orleans/ Oklahoma City Hornets)
    Amaré Stoudemire (Phoenix Suns)
    Dwyane Wade (Miami Heat).

http://www.usabasketball.com/seniormen/2006/06_mwc_finalists15.html

Discuss. :gossip: :playball:
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I don't like the selections. This team is young and athletic, but doesn't possess the one thing missing so badly on the last Dream Team. Outside shooters. Lots of guys with mid-range game and fellas who can finish in transition but where are the Michael Redds? Even the Kyle Korvers or Ben Gordons?

This team lacks size and shooting for athleticism. It should be interesting to see if the "new" NBA can compete.
  3. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Roscoe, the Duke coach is the head coach. Do you think he is trying to make the team in his Duke system? I don't know much about him, but he does seem to have a winning system in the NCAA. Maybe size isn't very important in that system.

Also Elton Brand is pretty big, and so is Dwight Howard isn't he?

Joe Johnson is a pretty good outside shooter. Alot of names I just don't know much about.

As I love all things basketball, even watching YMCA pick-up games, I will be watching all this. Mostly I am looking forward to Wade and LeBron not getting automatic calls by the refs. That will be highly enjoyable, and I hope some of it is on NBA TV which I will have by Friday.
  4. roscoe36

EB is an undersized PF, and Howard is a PF not a center. Amare is a true PF not a center.

I see a small team. The Cheikh Sambs and Saer Senes of the world will eat these guys alive. ;)
  5. max

max All-Star

They are taking a chance exposing their bread and butter players to the even whistles of the International refs. They got away with it the last time. Team USA comes in 3rd for the Olympics with almost no reprocussions.

Most of the big centers are foreign these days so not much they can do about that. They did get burned the last time in the Olympics for a lack of outside shooting.

I wonder why Kobe is not on the team? He has not played since April.
  6. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

He needed to pass due to recent arthroscopic knee surgery.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=afp-basketnbabryantusa&prov=afp&type=lgns
  7. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Okay, I just looked everybody up on NBA.com and ESPN.com. NBA.com only designates guard, forward, center whereas ESPN.com gives PG, SG, SF, PF, C.

alphabetically

PG: Gilbert Arenas, Kirk Hinrich, Chris Paul
    SG: Joe Johnson, Dwyane Wade
    SF: Carmelo Anthony, Shane Battier, Bruce Bowen, LeBron James, Antawn Jamison
    PF: Chris Bosh, Elton Brand, Dwight Howard, Amare Stoudemire
    C: Brad Miller

Yeah, it's a small team. Only one true center and only two shooting guards. I guess Amare and Dwight Howard will be playing center too, and LeBron can be a shooter. Anyway, when you think of all the impressive players in the NBA you wonder how they came up with this group. Seems like a real random collection. Anyone have any ideas from looking at this list what the game plan and emphasis will be?
  8. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

hardly any true distributors and a lot of guys who create their own shot. will it work? it didn't last time. who's going to pass the rock? hinrich and paul. thats about it. joe can, but not a pure distributor, he would be more likely to hang on the arc. expect arenas to take a lot of shots as usual. maybe some dissention within. i think CB would add a lot of vet experience to this team. they will miss him.
    i just look at the squad and see no chemistry at all.
    i like world ball, it brings these stars back down to earth and play by the real rules. no superstar calls here. no 15 steps for a dunk.
    i'm not sure these guys can win it.
  9. roscoe36

Pretty interesting comments from Bruce Bowen on the lack of fundamental development in the NBA.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/story/438105p-369138c.html

Since we know LB is all about fundamentals, you have to wonder if he is the appropriate scapegoat for an Olympic team loaded with ISO players (Wade, LBJ, AI, Starbury, Duncan).
  10. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

nelly would have won with that team. you play to your teams strengths. especially in the short prep time that you have for olympic competition. nobody can run and play defense like the u.s.a teams. you play the euro game and you will lose.
  11. bezeach

bezeach First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

What three people didn't make the team? (I thought ESPN said 3 people wouldn't make it, but not positive)
  12. roscoe36

You do realize that the most successful teams in the Olympics two years ago did play Euro-style ball, because it's the same rules, court and FIBA referees.

So if you think the US can be successful playing an exclusively American style, then you are 14 years late. The world has started to catch up to America with this sport. You only have to see a German leading a team to the NBA Finals, and a two-time Canadian MVP as proof. Or the 2005 Finals champs with a Frenchman at the point, and an Argentine at shooting guard.

Adapt or die. Flip has a dinosaur picture for you.

Athleticism will never overcome fundamentals. The human body is only so elastic, but fundamentals provide the opportunity for Excellence in Execution.
  13. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

14. max

max All-Star

Tring to bump that shock thread and finally put it out of its misery.

While I am here....

This team is better than the last one they had. I would like to see team USA win but not because of Wade/Lebran. I would love to see them be called for travels and offensive fouls. The other guys can step up for the win. Bosh/Miller have height.

I also don't think LB managed the roster for the daily consecutive grind in 04. Better roster management will go a long way.
  15. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

I say cut Arenas, Battier, and Jamison.

The Wiz are the only team with 2 players on this team. Give me a freakin break!!!!!!!!!!!
  16. max

max All-Star

I would cut Joe Johnson for sure.
  17. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

So I'm watching this US-Puerto Rico game, and I notice that our players are giving little military salutes to the crowd after they do something special (dunk, block, etc.). Then Bill Walton says that this is a gesture of appreciation to the members of the armed forces that are in the audience. I understand the spirit of the gesture, but I don't think it works very well. Especially since it is beginning with these NBA players to take the place of a high-5, or a fist pump, or a chest thump. I hope it's going to be only for this game. I think it's going to look both goofy and militaristic if they stick with it through the World Championships. They need to figure out some other way to acknowledge the troops. It could start a bad world trend.
  18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

He is a sharp shooter... and with the short 3-point line, he is deadly. Also, he had the juke of the game against PR.
  19. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

20. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

Several people have mentioned that the selection of players leaves something to be desired. I am wondering how much, if anything, is due to the fact that they would be dedicating three summers to this team.

Maybe there were some players who did not want to give up three summers to compete on this team.

I remember in the past, there were quite a few players who did not want to play, although at that time, they felt that it was not safe to go and maybe even take their families, because of terrorism.

I don't remember hearing that anyone refused but I wonder if anyone let it be known that they did not want to go so were not selected.

They really looked good tonight, and I believe PR to be a pretty strong team. I wonder.