*UPDATED* Salary Picture July 4th PM

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Jul 4, 2006.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Here is the current salary picture based upon the folloewing assumptions. I was going to do an article, but I'm a little heart broke. I am sure y'all will understand.

* Hunter's deal I split almost down the middle. The difference between Year 1 & 2 can be 8% but I just called it $100K.

* With Ben gone, the Pistons fill their empty salary slot with Will Blalock (2nd round pick 2006, 60th overall). I'm assuming that Blalock gets a minimum contract with a second year option at the Pistons' discretion.

* The Pistons have ONLY the Mid-Level and Bi-Annual Exceptions to spend. Losing Ben did not create any additional room to sign free agents. If they spend each exception on one player each, they will be fielding a roster size of 14. They can split the exceptions up, but bear in mind, that under the current conditions, they won't get much bang for the buck that way. It is still possible that they can re-sign Kelvin Cato, a player who does not require an exception because Detroit owns his Larry Bird Exception Rights.

* I have included the Maurice Evans and Ronald Dupree Trade Exceptions because they count against the cap. They are like tokens. The Pistons can use them combined, individually or partially in a trade, but they cannot use them to sign a free agent. The Dupree Exception expires October 31st 2006, and the Evans Exception expires June 28th 2007. That's when they come off the books if they are not used.

* All figures are approximate based upon public resources. You can consider the #s good with an overall error of +/- 5%.

* Assigned the Mid-Level Exception to Nazr Mohammed. I had to tweak the starting point to get near $25 million with fixed 8% raises. I believe this is somewhat accurate as the true MLE amount this year is not known yet.

Notes: You'll notice that the Pistons will barely squeak under the Luxury Tax threshold that we will assume at around $62 million if they use both of their exceptions.

Remaining needs are a Center, and a backup Swingman. All options for the 2 or 3 positions are held by young players with limited experience.

Additional information can be found in these two articles...

Pistons Payroll 2006 : Part 1

Pistons Payroll 2006 : Part 2
    [​IMG]

2. roscoe36

Re: Updated Salary Picture July 4th AM

Updated.

3. cwolfson

cwolfson First Round Draft Pick

Hi Roscoe. Could you explain how the team might "use" the Evans and Dupree Trade Exceptions? Do they get to add on those amounts somehow if they acquire a player in trade?

4. roscoe36

FYI, I am themicrowave as well. I have a posting account and an admin account. Tonight the lines got blurred because I didn't have the time to switch accounts constantly. roscoe = micro.

Maybe Mercury or J-Train can answer this. I am starting to pass out. Otherwise I will answer tomorrow.

5. roscoe36

cwolf, looks like my ringers logged off. Lightweights. :laugh:

From the official NBA Collective Bargaining Agreement FAQ.

TRADED PLAYER EXCEPTION -- This exception is used for trades, and cannot be used to sign free agents. It allows teams to acquire more salary in a trade than they send away. It also allows teams to take up to a year to complete some trades, banking a credit in the interim. This exception is discussed in detail in question numbers 68 and 69. Also see question number 20 for more information on the availability and use of this exception.

6. cwolfson

Thanks, I think I get it: we could trade away, say, Dale Davis and his remaining 1 yr, 3.6 million, and using the 2 trade exceptions, acquire a player making around 6 million on a multiyear deal.

7. roscoe36

Yep. You got it.

8. cwolfson

Could you snake the system by getting another team to sign a free agent, then trading him to you? Suppose, say, we still wanted to get Bonzi Wells ... ?

9. roscoe36

That would only work if the Kings sign Wells. Which means we have to trade back something they want. Say a Ben Wallace... :frusty::doh:

Teams cannot trade players for a certain amount of time if they are signed as free agents. Your own free agent can be simultaneously signed and traded, but not say, 1 week later.

It's all in the CBA FAQ. I'm really losing steam...

10. roscoe36

Answer #76 ~ #80
    http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#76

11. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Micro, I will post here too. What is up with Cato? He may be a bigger piece in the picture now.

We may have to think about major trades now. Just keeping the team will be sad as we just lost our elite status.

12. cwolfson

Thanks ... I actually know these things, somewhere in the back of my mind, but only incidentally ... baseball is my main interest, basketball secondary ... when you explain this stuff, it all comes back to me.

13. roscoe36

First post updated with Nazr Mohammed.

14. cwolfson

Two questions

1. Is there any way to combine the trade exceptions and biannual exception?

2. Is Dale Davis through? If he is, can you see any prospect out there for combining the trade exceptions and his remaining year to trade him to another team with a player they might want to unload with a multiyear deal around $6 million next year?

15. roscoe36

1. No.

2. Davis is our backup Center. We would have to get a Center back. We're terrible short in the frontcourt. I don't see such a player available. This is where losing Ben is such a damaging thing. We had to waste the MLE on another big man.

16. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Sounds like your initial idea of resigning Cato would have been the better option.

I think we'd get similar return from either Cato or Nazr at C, but we'd at least still have our MLE to go after a PG or G/F.

Now, we're weaker at all 3 positions AND out of dough and tradeable commodities.