1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Two Choices

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by max, Sep 30, 2006.

1. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

nothing that we do in front of the tv or at the palace is going to change even the most miniscule thing about what has happened with the team in the past, in the present, or in the future.

there's as many enjoyable ways of being a fan as there are fans and teams to be a fan for, which is to say a lot (dba: maybe you could calculate those permutations for me, eh?).

for me, this season is the equivalent of being forced off an interstate highway onto some back roads. i have no idea where they'll take me. i'm a little frustrated that i have to get off the highway. but already, in spite of myself, the many unexpected encounters on the back roads are starting to draw me in and i'm beginning to get excited about what's around the next curve, even if it's an amish guy on a tractor who makes me slow down to 10 mph. there's always something to look at it and connect to.

2. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Detroit Lions fans are the perfect example of that. We know all too well.

There's been talk of another "Fire Millen" protest planned for this season. The plan was that everyone would walk out of Ford Field in the 1st Q.

So let me get this straight. You're supposed to pay for your ticket, pay for your parking, wait in lines to get into the stadium, find your seat... and then leave?

Yeah, that'll really show the Fords.

3. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Oh that was you?... sorry, the horses are getting kinda old and the buggy needs new wheels... glad you could slow down and enjoy the ride.

For me there's a strong curiosity about how Nazr responds... he carries a large burden on his shoulders... we've been spoiled with Ben's lateral quickness so we know the price of chili will be reduced...
    How much more efficient will the big 4 be if Nazr can open up the lanes?
    This season has more unknown factors than recent years... thankfully some of the answers will soon be revealed.
    Several teams have young players that are ready to become productive talent... they're no longer in awe of the conf champs.... this may be as much of a factor as what has transpired for the Pistons this summer.
    Joe's new modo...Ship or bust!

4. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

I'm still bitter over what should have been. Not really able to see what's nice on the backroads to look at. Be interested in what you think you'll see there, Roscoe...

5. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Am I the only one out there that believes that the Pistons will be a very good team this year surpassing everyone's expectations.

We only lost one guy, even though that guys was Big Ben.

6. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

No, army, I think they'll be very good too (I can't speak to the surpassing of expectations since that depends on the expectations). Back roads, after all, can get you where you were going when you were on the interstate. My post was just intended to indicate that --- by comparison with years past in which I felt confident expecting a certain style and a certain kind of contribution from each player -- I don't really know exactly how they'll be very good.

And I think a number of others on the forum think they'll be very good too. I suspet that even those who are somewhat sour on the upcoming season are at least in part expressing a combination of understandable frustration with what transpired in the offseason, understandable grief for the apparent loss of a style of play and team identity that was successful and inspiring, and an understandably cautious lowering of expectations in view of the first two, and of the disappointing finish last year.

7. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

This year's team will be good, but not good enough. That's the problem for me. I'm not satisfied with a team that will be competitive, but not have what it needs to get over the hump. That's exciting for some people because of all of the unknowns...not for me. It induces frustration.

I'll take option #4: Turning off a number of games this year in the 3rd qtr and loggin out of chat when the opposing team and I have had our fill of "free chili."

8. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Crazier things have happened armygirl. I think we have a shot, but only if Flip has the best coaching year of his career...or his successor, if required, brings something to the table that is unexpected.

9. Prophecy Revealed

Prophecy Revealed First Round Draft Pick

Let me be the one to repeat this..... Ben was my man & $20grand,However [everyone] was exposed during the playoffs and was more evident than anything to me was YOU CAN NOT SURVIVE FOREVER OFF OF 4-ON-5 OFFENSE. If nothing else Nazr will bring more offense to the table but less defense. We didn't loose because of no defense we lost for a lack of offense & because Shaq was able to roam free and do things like help double team Tay. out at the three[that's right Shaq] because he didn't have to worry about Ben.This will not happen this year. By the way check out Ben&Nazrs' career stats& minutes played I believe to armygirl [sign]WELCOME TO DETROIT CITY[/sign] [sign]the PROPHECY has been REVEALED[/sign]

10. Woody

Woody All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Maybe I'm wrong, but if you only have two possibilities, you only have one choice to make, not two. Two options, one choice.

If you have more than two options, then you have multiple choices.

We probably have as many different views as posters. Our Options are many and varied. Thus the many posts.

11. Prophecy Revealed

Actually, If one asked a Yes or No question there are 2 possiable CHOICES (1.) Yes (2.) No; But the key here is how many CHOICES do you get to CHOOSE get it: 2 choices to chooose from [sign]:pray:[/sign] [sign]:amen:[/sign]

12. hack

``We didn't loose because of no defense we lost for a lack of offense & because Shaq was able to roam free and do things like help double team Tay.''

Thats great, but did you notice Miami's FG%age in the ECF? You think we can beat them in them in next year's ECF with them shooting 54% and higher? What's amazing, to me, is that we just won a ring and almost another playing so-called 4 on 5. Suddenly we got torched on defense and everyone's convinced that a center who can stick 12-footers is the most important thing. Where's the logic in that?

13. Prophecy Revealed

Ok so how many teams in the last ten years have won a championship with a non-offensive CENTER. I only know of one and one time. No logic But how about statistics. Once again [sign]WELCOME TO DETROIT CITY[/sign] Nazr "will" be the difference.:amen:

14. hack

Did you want to consider the point I made at all, or are you just going to ignore it? Doesn't say much for the strength of your argument if you can't debunk a challenging one.

15. Prophecy Revealed

Ok lets try to say this another way no matter who or what you are "when you are pressed hard enough whatever is in you has to come out" and whatever could not be seen(exposed) before now will be revealed(exposed)Example. There are many people who go to gym the same as I do and talk about what they can do but the difference between a whimp(a loser) and a warrior(a winner) is the ability or will (as I will) to press on long after your body or mind wants to quit. However the point is after the championship we won in 04' which no one wanted us to get because we did it with out the flash(no pun intended)and stern amongst others saw fit to change some rules so that defense wouldn't play the same role ever again i.e. 50,52,54 and 97 freethrows from one man. So I agree with flip "adapt or die" because that's exactly how we looked dead. Was this serious enough because I'm hungry LOL Oh! By the way there was another team that tried 4on5 offense I heard they lost the ship' in 06' Now 3 things.......... ready? [sign]DETROIT-PISTONS-REVENGE:pray:[/sign] [sign]WELCOME TO DETROIT CITY:ninja:[/sign] [sign]PROPHECY REVEALED:amen:[/sign]

16. hack

Are you going to address the point I made or ignore it?

17. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I also believe we will be okay Max. I am sorta happy that others have counted us out.

We must adapt to the new rule changes in the NBA even though I must say, I will definitely miss that gound it out defense that the Pistons played in the past. It just won't happen as much this year. Stern has mad sure of that.

I just hope we don't turn into that run and gun style. I've always hated that style of play. I can't see this team playing that Paul Westhead garbage.

18. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The Pistons have done well in the underdog role in the past (e.g., 2004). I'm surprised how many on this forum have counted the Pistons out for this year. Several think that 2006-07 is just an "evaluation year". I'm hoping for much more.

19. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

AG, don't knock that run'n gun stuff. I know it doesn't seem like Pistons basketball, but if you really watch what the Suns do, how they relentlessly attack, slam and nail long Js, penetrate and dish, it's beautiful.

Of course, Chauncey Billups isn't Steve Nash, and Tayshaun needs to be a lot more aggressive to become Shawn Marion, but a little Showtime may be exactly what Detroit needs.

20. hack

It is, undoubtedly, aesthetically pleasing.