Trey Burke = (smaller) Chauncey Billups

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, Apr 14, 2013.

1. blueadams

blueadams Banned - Sent to NBDL

Heard a friend make that comparison earlier today. I thought it was very apt. Side and post-up ability aside, they really have pretty much the same game. Same strengths and weaknesses. Seemingly, the same demeanor and intangibles.

It'd make Brandon Knight an undersized shooting-guard permanently, but I suppose I wouldn't mind the pick.
    Just thinking and thinking more about the prospects..

1-Adetokunbo. Dudes. Read his scouting report on NBA Draft Express. I might take him with the #1 overall pick. I LOVE his potential. He's 6-9 or 10. Handles and passes the ball well enough to be thought of as a potential NBA point guard. He shoots the ball well from the perimeter. He seems to have solid touch and instincts around the rim. He's a great athlete and it's thought that he'll eventually be a great perimeter defender in the NBA. He's got a great build and is going to be a plus rebounder for his position. The 19 year old Nigerian emigrant is a Project. There's no doubt about that. But ALL the tools are there man. All the tools.

2-McLemore. He's a great outside shooter. A great athlete; should be solid on D and in transition. Doesn't do much with the ball, however, and will probably never be a superstar.

3a-Burke. Shoots well from outside. Shoots well inside. Good handles. Good passer. Solid athlete. Could be a solid small-guard defender with focus. Size is all that hurts him. Will probably never be a superstar either.

3b-Muhammad. Tools all seem to be there. Production isn't. Potential head-issues. Solid athlete. Should be good on D and in transition. Okay shooter. Attacks the rim. Not great handles or passing instincts, however. Again, probably not a superstar, but could be quite good. I'd take him ahead of those below, perhaps ahead of Burke.

5-Smart. I don't like point guards who can't hit outside shots. Rodney Stuckey. Everything else is there. But that's an issue for me.

6-Oladipo. Same deal as Smart more or less. Everything is there but the shooting. And that's big for me.

7-Porter. Don't like him at all. Can't shoot. Can't handle. Not that great on D. Skinny. Frankly, I don't get what all the fuss is about here.

2. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Burke would at the very least give us some competitive fire. Start meshing that kind of natural instinct with the likes of Drummond and it could start the basis of some sort of identity.

Well, if we draft Burke we'd have some trades to make.

3. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Trouble is, one more win and the Pistons may fall even to the 8th spot. And, if someone gets lucky and leap frogs them with the ping pong balls, the Pistons could be in the 9th spot. By the 8th or the 9th spot, Joe can do little but hope that someone falls. At the 6th spot or lower, he can actually make a choice.

The Pistons got lucky with Monroe and Drummond being available and falling. If you look back at those drafts, they would both be top 5 picks.

4. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

An 85kg 6'9 SF with a shaky jumper, no hops, average athleticism, and he can't go left.

If we put him at the point he gets stripped everytime he faces up against an explosive guard.

5. blueadams

Looks plenty strong and athletic to me in his tapes. Hasn't been playing long - and is 19 - so, sure, he's not refined. And I wouldn't put him at the point. Danny Ainge is the only GM that's been out to see him thus far, and he called him a "young Scottie Pippen." Had 33pts, 18board, 5ast, 4stls in their league championship game.

6. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

If my HS coach showed you a 3 minute video of my best 15 plays in my jr and sr year.......you'd draft ME #1 overall!!!! STEP AWAY FROM YOU TUBE!

coynejeremy and The Panda like this.
  7. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I think Burke wants to be Chris Paul, and he possibly could be, but I think Jameer Nelson is the likely scenario. Now before folks get all goofy and talk about how Jameer sucks consider a few things:
    The best stretch of Piston basketball that we witnessed this year was when we played a poor mans version of the old Orlando Magic scheme. A 2-man game with Burke and Drummond could possibly be just as effective as Nelson and Howard used to be; don't forget those Magic teams made legit title runs until they got rid of Turkey-Glue. But while Nelson is a career 13ppg scorer I think Trey can play closer to around 16ppg and shoot just as efficiently as Nelson. Also, the league is getting smaller, more teams are playing smaller backcourts and small ball and very few guards are posting up these days.

8. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Look, the CP3 comparisons are dead. Trey Burke ain't never going to be Chris Paul 2.0. But Jameer Nelson is no chump. He had a role and he played it very well.

If we keep Monroe, a prototypical PG (maybe Burke, although I would rather pay for Bledsoe) +Drummond and Moose will be a deadly 3 man combo.

9. blueadams

I've watched two 10-ish minute long videos. Looks great. The videos were enough for three NBA GM's to fly out and see him play. The play was good enough to be compared to the greatest point-forward and perimeter defender of all-time (according to some), Scottie Pippen.

10. blueadams

Sure. I think the small Chauncey comparisons are better, however. Jameer Nelson sort of sells Burke short, IMO. Burke running so well with a very untalented big man this post-season (McGary). Makes you wonder what he could do with Andre.

11. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

People use the comparison to Nelson to downgrade Burke, but what if he's a better version of him? Nelson with a few more inches is pretty good.

12. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

Funny, the other day at work I was thinking, of course, in the Pistons and the draft.. and when Burke came to my mind I started thinking about comparisions... Jameer Nelson was one of them.

Also, I think he is very similar to Kemba Walker but a little better...

I wouldn't have any problems if we end up drafting Burke. Matter of fact.. for now on, as for today...

Players I don't want in a Pistons Jersey:

- Shabazz Muhammad
    - Cody Zeller

Players I want (without any order):

- Nerlens Noel
    - McLemore
    - Oladipo
    - Otto Porter
    - Trey Burke
    - Mitch McGary
    - Allan Crabbe (with a second round would be a steal)
    - Kabongo (2nd round)

Players I feel neutral about, those that I don't want but If Joe D picks them, I wouldn't mind either way:

- Anthony Bennet
    - Marcus Smart
    - Michael Carter-Williams
    - LeBryan Nash (2nd round)

13. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

I think that the Nelson comparison is much better than Billups. If someone said to me, "Trey Burke is a slightly taller, slightly more athletic version of Jameer Nelson.", then I would say, "I can see that.".

I don't see any comparison between Burke now, and Billups coming out of Colorado. Billups was all post up, power to the hoop, and pull up for jumpers. Burke can't do two of those things. He is, however, a much better all around player than Billups was at that stage.

14. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

What makes you so sure of that? Their games are eerily similar coming out of College

15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

16. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Burke's collegiate numbers are also almost identical to DJ Augustines too. DJ showed promise early on but never turned the NBA corner and now he's kind of just faded into oblivion.