Trade Shane Battier for Carlos Delfino

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, Nov 19, 2006.

1. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

It is obvious that Delfino will not get any playing time here in Detroit. Send him to Houston to play with Yao and McGrady. He may flourish in Van Gundy's system.

Shane Battier, I was waiting for Joe to draft him instead of Rodney White. Shane is an ultimate leader, this is his home and he loves it here.

He would definitely bring leadership to this team, he is very defensive minded and could be a spark off the bench.

AI & Battier is two deals that I would make in a heartbeat.
  2. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

No way those contracts work out armygirl. Besides I think Houston is more than happy with Battier. I think they believe he helps legitimize them as a title contender. Delfino certainly doesn't/wouldn't do that for them.
  3. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Hey, I'm all for it. Pretty sure Houston wouldn't come close to even thinking about it. You need to sweeten that pot quite a bit. Battier and Head for Prince might get their attention, but might not get ours.
  4. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Starter 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yeah, Flip could play Fino about 20mins each game to increase his value. Maybe he'd find out that Fino is too valuable to be traded and keep playing him.
  5. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

FREE DELFINO

Joe if you aint gonna use him, trade him, let him go somewhere where he can earn some real money for his 2nd contract.
  6. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

If it happens, I'll slap myself 100 times to make sure I'm not dreaming.

HELL YES, I'm all for it.
  7. Terry T

Terry T First Round Draft Pick

Nazr for Battier would work under the CBA after Dec 15. I have no idea why Huston would want to make this deal but I can't wait to get rid of Nazr. Should have tried to sign him for a one year $8mil deal, and then tried to trade him for Camby or Magloire. Four more years of Nazr makes me shudder.
  8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Magloire is not a whole lot better defender or post player.

We simply couldn't spend $8 million based on our cap position. Letting Ben and Cato walk hurt because we got absolutely nothing back. Even some mismatch salary pieces for future trade filler would have been a bonus.

At this point, Joe is not looking too smart for not promising Rose minutes considering that Delfino is either 1) ineffective or 2) disliked by the coach.
  9. Terry T

Huston made a big mistake in trading Mike James. Neither Yao nor TMac have the driven and aggresive personality needed to push a team to a championship. Mike James definitely has that. And trading him for Raefer Alston? Man that was stupid.
  10. Terry T

I know. I am grasping at straws because I really can't see Nazr contributing much to getting this team back to the championship.
    As for Rose/Delfino, I've got to agree with you there. If you are going to choose the coach over the player, then do it as soon as possible. Don't play games asking the coach to do something he doesn't really want to do. Half assed solutions lead to half assed results.
  11. roscoe36

Joe was grasping at straws too. Remember, he offered Pryzbilla the MLE before quickly taking the offer back and signing Nazr. That could have been even worse. At least Nazr has playoff (and big game) experience.

It seems to me the Pistons know what they DON'T want to do, but are pretty confused about what they DO want to do.

I can't see many teams giving us much for Delfino unless he is on a secret list of coveted players like Darko was with Phoenix.
  12. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

houston would never go for such a lopsided trade, but i would do this in a heartbeat
  13. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Maybe we can sweeten the pot and throw in McDyess. This will allow Maxiell to get more minutes and may benefit us in the long run.
  14. max

max All-Star

Houston would not go for it.

Just a reminder of one of Joes blown drafts.
  15. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

This does appear to be the case... OR Joe saw a declining team before any of us and decided not to travel the same road of futility.
    Next best thing?
    Purchase inexpensive pieces to remain competitive until a bigger opportunity presents itself (free $'s and picks). Used together this becomes a large bargaining chip.
    He would be blind not to see younger teams quickly gaining ground... and not just for the short term... he has to do something to reverse the trend without compromising fan base & profits. "Competitive today and the future"
  16. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I agree. I thought Joe should have went more aggressively for Rose. The Suns are getting Jalen about 20 mpg right now.

If Delfino really belongs on the floor for more minutes, you would think Cowens and Porter would be pushing Saunders to make it happen.

Delfino currently has the worst plus/minus net (-12.3) of any Pistons. The Pistons are +3.7 when Delfino is off the floor and -8.7 when he is on the floor.
  17. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

If Delfino really belongs on the floor, why would it take Flip's assistants to point it out to him?
  18. roscoe36

I see it going down like an intervention.
  19. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

LOL @ that. I can see it now: Flip sweating through his collar, eyes bulging out, clawing at the painted-shut window pane as Porter and Cowens speak calmly about Delfino...