Breaking News Trade - Calderon to Pistons in 3-way deal for Prince

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mikhail1973, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Just go with Stuckey......kinda fits the tank collision theme.
    detteam likes this.
  2. max

max All-Star

Wow, looks like we got a pretty good point guard.
  3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

4. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Pretty good? 19.37 PER Top 10 in assists. #1 in ASS/TOV

He is great point guard, even at his age. This is closest to Steve Nash we will get.

But his defense is just awful. Expect to see a lot more Drummond with this guy around - could be why Frank gave him an extended run yesterday. To see how he can hold up.
  5. roscoe36

6. roscoe36

It's not for lack of effort though. He's a very hardworking player. He can be helped with a better scheme.
  7. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Wow, Calderon was very emotional. I can't wait to see him wearing a Pistons uni.
  8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I didn't realize that Ed Davis was part of the trade until I watched the game tonight. Toronto got hosed in this. I feel like the Grizz did exceptionally well in a force trade scenario and the Pistons did something that was essential to putting us back on track to pounce in the next 3 years.

How does TOR give us one of the most efficient vet PG's and a starting big man for Gay? Not sure what they are thinking. Trading with Hollinger is like playing chess against the computer.
    The Panda likes this.
  9. copper

copper Bench Warmer

He is very emotional and extremely intense player...I really hope he brings some of that to the Pistons who usually seem way too lackadazical(sp?)
  10. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

Pretty sure Davis is going to Memphis.
  11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

He is. That's why I think that Memphis did really well. I thought initially they were only getting Tay and Daye.
  12. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

A friend of mine, upon hearing about Hollinger going to Memphis, said that they would trade Gay very soon after that. At the time, Memphis was crushing opponents left and right, and despite Pera taking over, I thought that he would be wrong. Turns out he was spot on.

Memphis absolutely won in this trade. Dominated it. Prince is a good defender still (better than Gay), and is pretty damn efficient. They got rid of a bad fit player (extremely talented though). I actually think Daye will thrive in Memphis too. Hollinger will ensure that they are running corner 3 after corner 3 for the guy. Prince is also good from the corners. Ed Davis is also doing very well and will provide great minutes off the bench.

Toronto got pumped. We gave up a great SF, despite his slow decline, and a good 3pt shooter/prospect. In Calderon we did extremely well. I hope to see him playing at least 25mpg. Anything less and Frank deserves to be fired because he is no longer playing to win. Jose actually gives us a decent shot at sneaking into the playoffs. Him, Drum and Monroe will absolutely mesh and create quite a scary trio. He also gives us a really good shooter who might be able to spur production in the 4th, where we so desperately need it.
  13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Bynum better start practicing his lobs to Maxiell in practice.
    coynejeremy, del, Mogilny and 3 others like this.
  14. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Well, I'm glad to get Tay's contract off the books, point-blank-period. That said, I feel like we got HOSED! I think Gay should've been a Piston. It's essentially a Tayshaun Prince for Rudy Gay deal with fillers (Calderon and Daye) and a sweetener (Davis), but at the core this is Tay for Gay-PERIOD and we should have been the one who landed a 20 ppg SF in the deal. But it appears that Joe is FINALLY conceding that it's time to start over, freed up $7M More dollars in cap space, that can be spread over two years.
    We'll Have $25M this summer, $33M if we amnesty BoT and $37M if we cut Rodney. We should be targeting Josh Smith and going after him HARD!
  15. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

There is nothing like a good three way to get you back in the forum mood.
    coynejeremy, del, detteam and 5 others like this.
  16. roscoe36

welcome back lady
  17. roscoe36

KG, I am happy we didn't get Gay. He's not worth his contract. We want the cap space.
    S.J., BallDon'tLie and copper like this.
  18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

We didn't get hosed. We get to test drive the pointiest point guard for the rest of the season and then we get the flexibility to add that star player you're looking for. Hollinger's own model shows us picking up 3 wins due to the dynamics of his, and that is probably understated because we are desperately in need of his specific skill set.

Testing Calderon not only gives us a look at him, but it gives us a look at everybody else on the roster- how they perform with a real facilitator. We'll know if BK can be a SG. We'll see how Drummond survives against starters when he's getting great setups. We'll see how good of a coach Frank is (can he utilize Calderon and Monroe's passing by implementing a complex offense).

If nothing else, it should make the games a little more tolerable to watch. This is entertainment after all. Not much is entertaining about watching Prince. And while I found some enjoyment in watching Daye's weak sauce Euro game, I sensed that I was in a very small minority populated by bball perverts.
  19. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

It's not that bad, he only has 2 years after this one and we'd still have the flexibility to pursue a 2nd top tier free agent, also, there aren't very many Free Agent targets becoming available in the next year or 2 anyway.........I acknowledge a guy like Josh Smith can really help this franchise but is he a franchise player?
  20. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

With this trade I think Joe is demonstrating that he is committed to Dre, Moose and Brandon, meaning he's committed to building with guys under the age of 25 who will approach their peak when guys like LeBron and Melo start their decline. I think Joe looks at Philly, Indy, and Milw as our competition and is trying to build a team to compete with those teams.