Breaking News Trade - Calderon to Pistons in 3-way deal for Prince

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mikhail1973, Jan 30, 2013.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Trade him and then do what at PG? We just got a key guy, who can fill a need, and puts us in the driver's seat wrt commitment, and you want to trade him for some non-specific better outcome?
  2. roscoe36

I look at expirings as being huge assets. That's why teams will give up good players for expirings.

With Jose, we get a test drive. If we don't like what we see, or can't work out a good deal, he walks and we have cap room to shop.

Trading that expiring for a player is a crap shoot. Will we get anyone good? What if they don't fit in or work out here? We're in a Charlie Villanueva/Ben Gordon scenario where we have to literally pay someone to take the contract off our hands.

I dunno. I am really fond of what Jose has brought to this team in the last few days.
    hitafreethrow likes this.
  3. raxrets

raxrets Starter

I'm waiting for games now. Has not happened two or more years...
    roscoe36 likes this.
  4. roscoe36

I guess what I am saying is, it would have to be a very compelling offer. It would probably have to be an established big.

Which teams out there need a PG but have good players to send back? Not Boston, outside Jeff Green, Paul Pierce and KG, the cupboard is bare.
  5. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

He gave up his own hoop for it, though. That's called unselfish.
  6. roscoe36

Yeah, same here. I am anxious to watch them play again, I haven't felt that way in maybe 3 years.

The Lions were so bad, so long, the Joey Heatherington era, I completely gave up on football. To be honest, I don't know how many more seasons I could handle being in the NBA wilderness with Rodney Stuckey and Tayshaun Prince.
  7. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Great idea, BDL! After that trade, all we need is a point...guard....
  8. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I like our chances of keeping Calderon. What other teams that are in need of a starting PG has talented bigs like ours? Not too many, and he hasn't even played with Monroe. I'd like to think we can keep him, so I'm staying positive. His playing style translates into playing well into his thirties.
  9. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I think that the following teams would have enough need for a PG to overpay the Pistons with some sort of package containing players/picks. These are contending teams that can use the services of an expiring 31 year old PG.
    Miami.
    Indiana
    Utah
    Atlanta
    Chicago
    Dallas

Now, I'm NOT saying that we should pull out all of the stops to make a deal involving Jose.
    All I'm saying is that for the first time in a looooooong time, we have a highly coveted asset that could go a long way in rebuilding this team. As a fan, it's kinda fun to look at scenarios that are a bit more realistic than the Stuckey for CP3 deals that everyone has proposed over the last 5 years.

Hell, I hope that Jose is the veteran leader to take BK under his wing and make him a top-5 PG. I hope that Jose retires after winning back to back championships in '14 & '15 and hands the reigns over to Brandon to win a 3rd one for us.
    The reality is that he's 31 years old and the Pistons aren't on the verge of contending.

If I'm him, I play out the year in Detroit and sign with Miami so I can throw alley-oops to LeBron for a few more years while stuffing my jewelry box with championship rings. The I'd go back home to Spain, sign for a butt-load of money to win a Euroleague 'ship in front of my friends and family.

Or, Joe could do something like this.
    ...or this.
  10. BallDon'tLie

Yeah because how are we going to ever climb the ladder to the 9th seed without one this year.
  11. BallDon'tLie

To be clear.
    I'm cool with keeping him. I absolutely LOVE the guy's ability and I'm totally stoked to have him (especially for Prince!).

All I'm doing is playing around with the idea that we ACTUALLY HAVE PLAYER ON A NON-ROOKIE CONTRACT THAT OTHER TEAMS WANT FOR THE FIRST TIME IN A VERY LONG TIME.

...Thats all I'm doin man.
    coynejeremy likes this.
  12. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

:nerner:

OK, I got nothing.
    BallDon'tLie likes this.
  13. roscoe36

I think we're looking at this very differently. We're done rebuilding. We aren't going to spend another year chasing a draft pick. Whether we're actually good enough or not, Joe probably feels this team is good enough to compete for an outside playoff spot and has a TON of money in the offseason to make some moves.

If this was 2 years ago, I would agree with you. But with Jose, we can compete with playoff teams each night right now.

It's 2000/01 again. *link*
  14. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

But with Jose, we can compete with playoff teams each night right now.
    I'd love to see that. Wait, what do you mean, compete within 5 pt ? Win 50% of those games. Oh, I get it, so the next FA signed can get us over the top.
  15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

So far, Prince is doing what he was doing with us and Daye is off to a nice start with the Grizz:

Points per 36:
    Tay (DET): 13.0
    Tay (MEM): 11.6

Daye (DET): 12.6
    Daye (MEM): 17.6

TS%:
    Tay (DET): .502
    Tay (MEM): .503

Daye (DET): .581
    Daye (MEM): .648

AD is 7-13 from 2 point range, 7-14 from 3 point range, and 4-4 from the line with MEM.
    Tay is 27-54 from 2 point range, 2-5 from 3 point range, and 2-6 from the line with MEM.

Maybe since this one is working out for them, we can pull off another trade with Hollinger before the bottom drops out?

Charlie V's advanced stats are great right now and it's clear that he and Austin are a dynamic duo! Maybe Tony Allen and Ed Davis for Chaz? We can toss in the IP for the teal uniforms.
    Walter, The Panda and roscoe36 like this.
  16. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Four of TayDaye's six games have been against the worst teams in the league:

Sacramento (19-35)
    Minnesota (19-31)
    Phoenix (17-36)
    Washington (15-26)

Let's see how their numbers look when they start playing the playoff teams.
  17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Just saying... trade deadline looming. Hollinger's guys are producing. Let's take advantage of the trade machine algorithm again.
  18. pass99

pass99 Team Captain Forum Donor

In a sense, it is a combination of the light of being: the experience of sunrise through sunset. For the first time in many years all can see (or should see) the small tangibles of excitement this fellow brings. A jitterbug dancing among the lily-pads.

What's not to like?
  19. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

If Jose is a jitterbug, then Stuckey is a bullfrog.
  20. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Anyone better than .500 they lose.
    How is their coach ?